Jambos in Bathgate

gorgiestars

Have heard that there is a pretty good supoort thru in bathagte. Just a quick note to try and gauge the interest...meeting places etc

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doctor FinnBarr
Have heard that there is a pretty good supoort thru in bathagte. Just a quick note to try and gauge the interest...meeting places etc

Try the Railway Tavern.

:)

have done in the past mate. but the last time i went in there was 'interesting'...anywhere you recommend pre and post match....

Doctor FinnBarr
have done in the past mate. but the last time i went in there was 'interesting'...anywhere you recommend pre and post match....

To be honest no, normally just watch telly games in Blackburn surrounded by huns, mhanks and a few hobos!

:eek:

I'm sure in the late 70's there was a Bathgate Supporters Club and bus but times have obviously changed

Miller Jambo 60

Move to Edinburgh loads of us.

Doctor FinnBarr
I'm sure in the late 70's there was a Bathgate Supporters Club and bus but times have obviously changed

There was, it left from Barrs (the Bathgate Inn) which is now demolished and replaced by a ned pub. Last bus to leave from Bathgate was from the Railway when it was run by Tam who posts on here sometimes. Don't know if it still runs tho.

:107years:

chester copperpot

Went in the railway a few weeks back when i was meeting my mate from work (he works in Bathgate). Was a bit early, so went the Railway. Horrible horrible pub, didn't even stay for a pint.

It was before the Hamilton Accie's away game, and I said I'd meet him from his work, however left the Railway and headed off to the other pub just up the road on the other side. Over the road from EH40 something. This was at 12.30, and there was several people in there steaming already and it was only 12.45.

I'd say if yer wanting to watch the game full of jambo's, head to a boozer in Gorgie, we'll all be up there after the game celebrating a 3 point victory.

Doctor FinnBarr
Went in the railway a few weeks back when i was meeting my mate from work (he works in Bathgate). Was a bit early, so went the Railway. Horrible horrible pub, didn't even stay for a pint.

It was before the Hamilton Accie's away game, and I said I'd meet him from his work, however left the Railway and headed off to the other pub just up the road on the other side. Over the road from EH40 something. This was at 12.30, and there was several people in there steaming already and it was only 12.45.

I'd say if yer wanting to watch the game full of jambo's, head to a boozer in Gorgie, we'll all be up there after the game celebrating a 3 point victory.

Shoulda seen the Railway bounce after Hampden 06. Pub across the road is the Engine Room, the aforementioned ned pub.

chester copperpot
Shoulda seen the Railway bounce after Hampden 06. Pub across the road is the Engine Room, the aforementioned ned pub.

Thats it, the engine room, however it has one of the letters missing from their sign.

chester copperpot
Chester, our not wrong..even tho i have moved to Bathgate...my 'local' is still the Diggers....!!!

I can better that mate, I moved to the Weeg a year ago, mine's is still Westfields. :)

kingantti1874

there are plenty ofjambos in bathgate, armadale ! Unfortunately no pubs that I know of ! They've all been taken over by the unwashed

The Balbairdie comes recommended for live SPL games by the folk I know from there, as they reckon it's the most civilised (i.e. least mental!) and most "ecumenical" :rolleyes: venue in Bathgate.

Doesn't exactly make it a Hearts pub though, unfortunately! :)

'Auld' i have been in there. no bad... but ur right, no where close to being a hearts pub...

reckon i just get up on match day early and grab the train (when its on!) asap to edinburgh for pints....front row centre in the diggers on sunday...

Definately no Jambo pubs in Bathgate, I've been looking hard now weekly for nearly 20 years.

:)

The Railway Tavern used to be the best pub in Bathgate! Last time I was in there I was absolutely blootered! Not like me:p

Lynn:ninja:

'Auld' i have been in there. no bad... but ur right, no where close to being a hearts pub...

reckon i just get up on match day early and grab the train (when its on!) asap to edinburgh for pints....front row centre in the diggers on sunday...

So that'll be the bus then!!! :P

There was, it left from Barrs (the Bathgate Inn) which is now demolished and replaced by a ned pub. Last bus to leave from Bathgate was from the Railway when it was run by Tam who posts on here sometimes. Don't know if it still runs tho.

:107years:

Ah, then were the days! :P

chester copperpot
The Railway Tavern used to be the best pub in Bathgate! Last time I was in there I was absolutely blootered! Not like me:p

Its not now, or else it wasn't when i was there. :eek:

Last time I was there was after the cup final in 98. The Huns were in the Commercial next door spoiling for a fight but we were to happy and blootered to care. :)

Try living in Armadale!

Railway tavern aint that nice a pub, but the pints are good and its the closest place to a Hearts pub in Bathgate. It does me for the match itself then onwards to maybe EH48 or Ballencrieff etc...

west lothian loyal

The tavern was heaving and thankfully bouncing when we played Basle away a few yrs ago. He had some crazy satellite feed from some obscure part of the world. There were jambos from edinburgh etc that came through to watch it. As i said it was jam packed and it went ballistic when robbie the reindeer smacked in the winner.

H.M.F.C FOREVER

Pffft. Part time supporter!

:P

I think it was Tom Stevens (?) that used to run the bus from thne Railway.........

I moved from Armadale across to Bathagte but never go in the pubs...!!......get to the games lads..!!........anyone need a lift from Bathagte in for the games gimme a shout as 2 of us drive in.......

Doctor FinnBarr
I think it was Tom Stevens (?) that used to run the bus from thne Railway.........

I moved from Armadale across to Bathagte but never go in the pubs...!!......get to the games lads..!!........anyone need a lift from Bathagte in for the games gimme a shout as 2 of us drive in.......

Tam you mean!

:P

• 5 years later...

Bump

Just moved from Wardlaw Terrace to Bathgate, there is an official listed supporters club but no pub...so when there is away games on tv where is best to head?

Must admit will miss wardlaw on match days just walking round the corner

I live in bathgate myself, best advice is to dive on the train to livi, takes two seconds, and watch the hearts in there. Few of us watch and leave from there! If all else fails I've got a garage and old tapes we could sit and watch!!

Shanks said no

Have had the misfortune to live in Bathgate for the last 5 years

Here?s my personal opinion of the pubs

• Railway ? ok and fairly lively but best not approached sober, tend to go there when I get off train drunk, as do many others
  • EH48 ? only open weekends and mainly for gigs, its ok and have seen ANWL, Rezillos and UK Subs there
  • Engine room (its got a new name) ? Ned central, avoid at all costs
  • Masons arms ? ok
  • Across road from Masons (can?t remember name, maybe Port Tavern?) ? old mans pub
  • 1912 ? new upmarket pub opposite Regal, ok but doesn?t suit Bathgate ? window put in last Friday
  • Ballencrief and James Young ? both plastic chain pubs, cheap pints no atmosphere
  • YOLO ? posh expensive pub, within weeks of being open it appeared on crimestoppers
  • Glen Mavis ? old mans pub but friendly, only been once
  • Royal ? lively but bit clichy
  • Balbardie ? probably my local although I drink more in Edinburgh. Landlady?s best friend is Subo and she does go there
  • Fairways ? closest pub to house but ultra clichy and unwelcoming ?are you a stranger??
  • Kaims ? ok but know others who hate it
  • Green tree ? ok
  • One off precinct ? walked in and straight out, was as if I had victim on forehead

Never came across one that is deemed a Jambo pub, as I have said on other threads, best thing about Bathgate is that you can get a train to Edinburgh and back

Bump

Just moved from Wardlaw Terrace to Bathgate, there is an official listed supporters club but no pub...so when there is away games on tv where is best to head?

Must admit will miss wardlaw on match days just walking round the corner

Defo the railway tavern for away games on telly probably about 10 -20 jambos in there and there sound.

Cheers guys been in YOLO pretentious twats and a crap name...won't be back in there. Be good to have a bunch to have a pint with pre or post match

kingantti1874

Try living in Armadale!

Railway tavern aint that nice a pub, but the pints are good and its the closest place to a Hearts pub in Bathgate. It does me for the match itself then onwards to maybe EH48 or Ballencrieff etc...

Back in the day the cavalier was a hearts pub... Don't fret, there are lots of jambos in Armadale

I lived in Bathgate for nine years but I've never watched a Hearts game there (except in the house).

The Railway Tavern was well-known as a Hearts pub and the Bathgate bus left from there, but I think there has been a change of ownership and I think it had become a Rangers pub.

Back in the day the cavalier was a hearts pub... Don't fret, there are lots of jambos in Armadale

Really? I remember being in there before an Armadale Thistle game then travelling to see us away to Ashfield on the supporters' bus. A cheer went up when we passed an Orange Walk in Glasgow.

scottish_chicP

Yep space on Broxburn Hearts :) All welcome!

I was supposed to quote the Uphall and Brox comment....

I think i know them all :lol:

I'm from Armadale but have moved to Bathgate in the last couple of years.

I think i know them all :lol:

I'm from Armadale but have moved to Bathgate in the last couple of years.

Opal?

Being Armadale born and bred and having lived in Bathgate for a few years but returned now to the Dale I feel qualified to say :

Nae decent Jambo pubs :( Railway the closest, Fairway was ok got that bus back in the day. I like godandgorgies summary very accurate.

Hard to find a pub in Armadale not full of Rangers fans. Do like the Corrie it's not too bad.

Shanks said no

Engine room is now the Voodoo Lounge. Went in once when it re-opened. It was dirty, sleazy men my age chatting up underagers. We drank up quickly and headed for the Balbardie.

I agree with Schevchenko, Balbardie has a proper pub feel to it. I am happy to go there with my wife, son or old man, never had hassle. If you catch the Karaoke there on a busy weekend evening it can be a cracking night out.

Archived