My take on the game/situation

givememychoice

givememychoice

We were poor on saturday. Not as poor as some make out, but poor nonetheless. I am intrigued as to who had the idea to play long balls. Csaba or the players? If it was Csaba, then I cant blame the players for the manager not having a clue and vice versa. Interestingly, Csaba didnt seem any more animated than usual. I would have been fuming. A windy wet day and with 2 strikers not that great at dealing with the long ball. We actually seem to be getting a team that can pass the ball well (look at the goal we scored). So why on earth play the long ball.

Part of the job of a footballer is to think on his feet, so why did the defenders keep on playing it back to a keeper who was having a poor kicking day. Berra, as captain, needed to stand up and be counted on Saturday. He wasnt. He is not captain material and wont be for at least 5 years more, depending on how he develops.

We all know that Csaba doesnt view makela as a proper footballer, yet he still got picked ahead of some of our young players. Why? (glen i believe was unavailable), but we have others. If, by the time you are 18, you cant cope with 20 mins SPL action better than makela, then, give up.

People on here can also majorly over react.

A player has one bad game and the daggers are out. There was a thread telling Miko to gtf. Now, when have wingers ever excelled under the long ball? yes, it wasnt his best game, but given he has been one of our best performers for many months now, i think it can be excused.

maroonlegions
We were poor on saturday. Not as poor as some make out, but poor nonetheless. I am intrigued as to who had the idea to play long balls. Csaba or the players? If it was Csaba, then I cant blame the players for the manager not having a clue and vice versa. Interestingly, Csaba didnt seem any more animated than usual. I would have been fuming. A windy wet day and with 2 strikers not that great at dealing with the long ball. We actually seem to be getting a team that can pass the ball well (look at the goal we scored). So why on earth play the long ball.

Part of the job of a footballer is to think on his feet, so why did the defenders keep on playing it back to a keeper who was having a poor kicking day. Berra, as captain, needed to stand up and be counted on Saturday. He wasnt. He is not captain material and wont be for at least 5 years more, depending on how he develops.

We all know that Csaba doesnt view makela as a proper footballer, yet he still got picked ahead of some of our young players. Why? (glen i believe was unavailable), but we have others. If, by the time you are 18, you cant cope with 20 mins SPL action better than makela, then, give up.

People on here can also majority over react.

A player has one bad game and the daggers are out. There was a thread telling Miko to gtf. Now, when have wingers ever excelled under the long ball? yes, it wasnt his best game, but given he has been one of our best performers for many months now, i think it can be excused.

while i agree with most points of your post did Csaba not say after the game that THE PLAYERS ARE NOT PLAYING THE WAY I WANT THEM TOO AND ARE GOING BACK TO THE BASICS OF LAST SEASON:cool:, if true then again we have players who are not only happy to pick up a wage for less work rate they are now beginning to tell the manager ,feck off i will play the way I feel like it on the day. long balls =LAZY FOOTBALL.:eek:

givememychoice

i hadnt heard the post match stuff. well, then one has to seriously wonder about the players.

If Laszlo cannot see that his tactics have been found out by the last 2 SPL managers we have faced then he is not really up to very much.

Francis Albert
If Laszlo cannot see that his tactics have been found out by the last 2 SPL managers we have faced then he is not really up to very much.

Which tactics? The one he says he wants to play, or the ones he says the players played contrary to his instructions.

Of course in the end it comes down to the manager's responsibility to get the tactics right AND ensure they are applied but if his tactics aren't applied by the players I don't see how his tactics have been "found out" by other managers

Which tactics? The one he says he wants to play, or the ones he says the players played contrary to his instructions.

Of course in the end it comes down to the manager's responsibility to get the tactics right AND ensure they are applied but if his tactics aren't applied by the players I don't see how his tactics have been "found out" by other managers

Did you see Laszlo try to change the way that the players were playing during the game on Saturday? Or at Dundee?

Or was he hiding in the dug out before claiming to the press that his players were disobeying his orders?

Did you see Laszlo try to change the way that the players were playing during the game on Saturday? Or at Dundee?

Or was he hiding in the dug out before claiming to the press that his players were disobeying his orders?

Or the St Mirren game when we had 4 at the back marking no one after St Mirren went down to 10 men ?

So this weeks' 'Carousel of Blame' stops with the players for disobeying orders ? Looks like we're in for a long season : as if we didn't know it.

Francis Albert

I wasn't at Dundee, but at Tynecastle he was waving his arms around and making the sort of gestures that managers make, and which I hope the players understand better than I ever do.

He does seem less demonstrative since the silly Daily Record attack on his histrionics a few weeks ago ( I wonder incidentally - did the Record reporter on Saturday spot the Brown/Jeffries show?). It may be my imagination but there seems less communication and rapport with the players which (a) tends to support the "disobeying orders" claim and (B) is worrying at another level than his unproven competence as a tactician.

To play the way CL wants to play you need three things IMO.

Firstly the majority of your outfield players need to be comfortable on the ball, particularly your defenders when building from the back. Zal, Berra and Wallace have little composure and their passing on the whole isn't great. Therefore when the opposition pressure the ball it invariably will go long or back to the keeper, this has started to happen in the last three games.

Secondly the movement has to be good, with the player on the ball having options close by. As I have mentioned on other threads we are playing far too deep leaving large gaps and the movement and availability generally is poor.

Finally you need a few players who can take players on, opening up the game to bring others in. We fall well short here with only Larry, when he can be bothered, Driver, Michael Stewart and Nade with that ability.

In summary I am not sure the players are ignoring CL its just he doesn't have players good enough to play on the deck and isn't picking those who could make it work better - i.e. Karipidis is decent on the ground and would be better at CH and Ruben is a good passer of the ball but never starts. A few minor changes would at least have us heading in the right direction.

I've only seen the home games so far and while we've not looked great we'd generally looked comfortable in possession, able to control the middle of the park a bit blunt up front and a bit brittle at the back.

The emphasis on retaining possesion clearly annoyed upset some people who were looking for something a bit more direct but I liked it. Being an optimistic soul I thought I saw the first developments of a characteristic Csaba style.

We were playing good football badly as opposed to bad football well.

Saturday was different we were harried and bullied out of midfield early on and resorted to bypassing the middle third too often. The OP suggests that the defenders should have

had the initiative to stop playing it back to a keeper who was having a poor kicking day. It's posible that they were using their initiative to stop feeding it to a midfield who as a four man unit weren't imposing themselves on their opponents as well as they have previously done as a five piece.

At times they would manage to conjure up some composure and Killie were presented with enough problems that they picked up half a dozen bookings in the process of dealing with them but too often Hearts looked to be attempting to play Killie at their own game.

As well as a game of overarching strategy and tactics football is also a game of split second individual decisions and if a coach is going to change the way players respond in the heat of the moment it's sometime going to take more than just giving them a general outline of the masterplan beforehand.

I doubt the phrase "Aimless punt up the park" features in many managers team talks but put enough pressure on players and they'll fall into the path of least resistance.

Csaba'll need to change the way players think rather than just giving them new orders and expecting them to follow.

That might take some time

I've only seen the home games so far and while we've not looked great we'd generally looked comfortable in possession, able to control the middle of the park a bit blunt up front and a bit brittle at the back.

The emphasis on retaining possesion clearly annoyed upset some people who were looking for something a bit more direct but I liked it. Being an optomist I thought I saw the first developments of a characteristic Csaba style.

We were playing good football badly as opposed to bad football well.

Saturday was different we were harried and bullied out of midfield early on and resorted to bypassing the middle third too often. The OP suggests that the defenders should have

had the initiative to stop playing it back to a keeper who was having a poor kicking day. It's posible that they were using their initiative to stop feeding it to a midfield who as a four man unit weren't imposing themselves on their opponents as well as they have previously done as a five piece.

At times they would manage to conjure up some composure and Killie were presented with enough problems that they picked up half a dozen bookings in the process of dealing with them but too often Hearts looked to be attempting to play Killie at their own game.

As well as a game of overarching strategy and tactics football is also a game of split second individual decisions and if a coach is going to change the way players respond in the heat of the moment it's sometime going to take more than just giving them a general outline of the masterplan beforehand.

I doubt the phrase "Aimless punt up the park" features in many managers team talks but put enough pressure on players and they'll fall into the path of least resistance.

Csaba'll need to change the way players think rather than just giving them new orders and expecting them to follow.

That might take some time

I would prefer it if we brought in a coach - Hughes, Jefferies, Levein for example who know how to win in Scottish football, who know the opposition teams, who have scouts who can bring in players who are suited to Scottish football. The idea that teams in the SPL would allow players of the 'quality' of Zaliukas and Karipidis pass the ball back and forward to each other without being challenged is incredibly naiive.

However, Hearts are not in a position to pay up Laszlo's 3 year deal so we are stuck with him. And I doubt that VR is concerned about how Laszlo has performed thus far.

Archived