Midfield dynamo

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

I think this is what we need.

I know many people think we need strikers. A RB and a LB.

I agree with them.

Goals are a priority. Sure.

We could also use a good solid, vocal captain.

But its difficult to buy a captain. Its difficult for a new face to be seen to care, be in charge, dominate and tell others what to do straight away.

I agree we need all these things, but I also think we need an addition in midfield more.

I know we have loads of players in that area. But none do what we really need.

Hearts need a Pedro Mendez, a Paul Hartley dare I say a Barry Ferguson!

I think we need this as it is clear that Stewart is not the answer to this. As much as he has shone in a few games, he is not consistent, to temperamental and huffy. He can drop completely out of games.

Above all the other things on the shopping list, I think we need a workhorse in midfield, someone who wants the ball ALL the time. Who makes passes, controls the game and runs the show.

I think this will achieve many things.

It will make the Captains job easier. If someone else is running the football, the Captain can run the team.

Strikers will be more effective, they can concentrate on shooting, not coming back to receive possession all the time.

Wingers can be wingers. If someone else is bossing the center of the park, they can roam the wings, helping out the strikers further.

In truth we need all these things, and more. But IMO, if we did one thing, bought 1 player, for big money, this is what we should buy.

A good striker can only do so much, poor support means they can end up being ineffective.

A good controlling midfielder can help even average strikers get goals. I think investment here would be the most effective way of improving the whole team.

Charlie-Brown

These kind of players are at a premium and cost a lot of money unless you can spot them early or get them out of contract or with only a few months remaining.

You didn't put forward any names or suggestions that we might realistically sign?

Dr. Bapswent
These kind of players are at a premium and cost a lot of money unless you can spot them early or get them out of contract or with only a few months remaining.

You didn't put forward any names or suggestions that we might realistically sign?

Yyour right. I didnt.

I don't have any in mind.

They are worth their weight in gold.

But Stewart, ( who I think is being told he can do this, and i'd love him to, I just dont think he has the patience, and stability needed) is not the answer.

If we are to pay big money for any position, I think this is it.

Rangers have done so with Pedro Mendez, they also got Steven Davis.

This is the sort of player we need.

Im guessing a Championship club would be the closet place to home we should fish from. But I dont know of any of the top of my head that suit.

in truth, I think with this sort of player, you can potentially get your moneys worth more than any other.

Id take Paul Hartley back.

Buffalo Bill

I would hope that Bruno Aguiar will get back into the side once fit.

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but i like him, not least because he's one of the few players that give 100% in every game.

Buffalo Bill

It was necessary to freeze Julien Brellier out for political reasons. What a great decision that was.

Anyone got the stats to hand with regard to wins/losses with Brellier/without Brellier when he was at the club?

Jam Tarts 1874

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but i like him, not least because he's one of the few players that give 100% in every game.

Buffalo Bill

I would also go for Bruno. I know it was only the reserves, but when he came back to play a few games at the end of last season he was very effective in bossing the game and organising/encouraging those around him.

Stewart is OK when things are going well, but he is not a team player when we are struggling. Berra is a no-mark - can't stand him.

Dr. Bapswent

Buffalo Bill

Yep,

I seriously want Bruno back in the team.

But after such a long time out, im not sure he has what it takes to immediately take control of games.

I really hope he does. But I fear he may more likely be an addition to the midfield, not its boss.

Charlie-Brown
Doc thinking the very same this morning

at this current time scott arfield would be perfect

"When you spot a bandwagon, it's too late" was a classic saying of Sir James Goldsmith.

"When you spot a bandwagon, it's too late" was a classic saying of Sir James Goldsmith.

He is a very decent prospect, and a few years ago would have no doubt been the perfect signing.

Arfield will head down south for bucks we cant compete with.

Unfortunatly ulesss Arfield is about to run out of contract, Falkirk can demand a fee we cannot pay. Clarkson fits in to that bracket as well.

Charlie-Brown
He is a very decent prospect, and a few years ago would have no doubt been the perfect signing.

Arfield will head down south for bucks we cant compete with.

Unfortunatly ulesss Arfield is about to run out of contract, Falkirk can demand a fee we cannot pay. Clarkson fits in to that bracket as well.

Arfield is a local lad although not sure who he supports but anyway he signed a 5 year contract in February 2008 and is on the radar of Premiership clubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Arfield

Arfield is a local lad although not sure who he supports but anyway he signed a 5 year contract in February 2008 and is on the radar of Premiership clubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Arfield

Yup - more chance of me and you playing up front v Hibs than Arfield signing.

ps

You can do the running.

Yyour right. I didnt.

I don't have any in mind.

They are worth their weight in gold.

But Stewart, ( who I think is being told he can do this, and i'd love him to, I just dont think he has the patience, and stability needed) is not the answer.

If we are to pay big money for any position, I think this is it.

Rangers have done so with Pedro Mendez, they also got Steven Davis.

This is the sort of player we need.

Im guessing a Championship club would be the closet place to home we should fish from. But I dont know of any of the top of my head that suit.

in truth, I think with this sort of player, you can potentially get your moneys worth more than any other.

Id take Paul Hartley back.

I would love to see Paul Hartley in a Hearts shirt again, sadly I dont think it will happen, well not until he's playing in a legends team anyway.

I think this is what we need.

I know many people think we need strikers. A RB and a LB.

I agree with them.

Goals are a priority. Sure.

We could also use a good solid, vocal captain.

But its difficult to buy a captain. Its difficult for a new face to be seen to care, be in charge, dominate and tell others what to do straight away.

I agree we need all these things, but I also think we need an addition in midfield more.

I know we have loads of players in that area. But none do what we really need.

Hearts need a Pedro Mendez, a Paul Hartley dare I say a Barry Ferguson!

I think we need this as it is clear that Stewart is not the answer to this. As much as he has shone in a few games, he is not consistent, to temperamental and huffy. He can drop completely out of games.

Above all the other things on the shopping list, I think we need a workhorse in midfield, someone who wants the ball ALL the time. Who makes passes, controls the game and runs the show.

I think this will achieve many things.

It will make the Captains job easier. If someone else is running the football, the Captain can run the team.

Strikers will be more effective, they can concentrate on shooting, not coming back to receive possession all the time.

Wingers can be wingers. If someone else is bossing the center of the park, they can roam the wings, helping out the strikers further.

In truth we need all these things, and more. But IMO, if we did one thing, bought 1 player, for big money, this is what we should buy.

A good striker can only do so much, poor support means they can end up being ineffective.

A good controlling midfielder can help even average strikers get goals. I think investment here would be the most effective way of improving the whole team.

I agree, as much as it pains me to say it, Hearts could really do with a Barry Ferguson stye captain.

Archived