Silence on the terraces

kannymann1

On my way to work in Poltonhall today, I was listening to the sport on the radio. Billy Dodds was saying how he was amazed and indeed genuinely concerned at the sound of silence from the Hearts fans. He went on to say this appeared to be an acceptance of the performances that the team gave when playing as they did yesterday. He remembered (don't we all) when players used to get it "tight" from the Jambos and younger players in opposing teams used to find it really intimidating coming to "Fortress Tynecastle".

Have we lost it?? I thought it was deathly quiet at times (I'm in the old stand) and felt pretty uncomfortable about it: I thought it was just me but since it was brought up by the commentators on the radio, I thought i would just bring it to your attention. I hope nobody else has posted this: I'm just home from work.so apologies if there has been a mention. Any comments guys?

heartsfc_fan

Pfft. It wasn't that quiet.

I've been to games far worse than the one on Saturday.

a Wednesday night cup game against Berwick springs to mind

On my way to work in Poltonhall today, I was listening to the sport on the radio. Billy Dodds was saying how he was amazed and indeed genuinely concerned at the sound of silence from the Hearts fans. He went on to say this appeared to be an acceptance of the performances that the team gave when playing as they did yesterday. He remembered (don't we all) when players used to get it "tight" from the Jambos and younger players in opposing teams used to find it really intimidating coming to "Fortress Tynecastle".

Have we lost it?? I thought it was deathly quiet at times (I'm in the old stand) and felt pretty uncomfortable about it: I thought it was just me but since it was brought up by the commentators on the radio, I thought i would just bring it to your attention. I hope nobody else has posted this: I'm just home from work.so apologies if there has been a mention. Any comments guys?

Didn't know anyone worked in Poltonhall. ;)

Tynecastle has always been quiet when we are rank against the smaller teams.

Atmosphere's a two-way thing. The fans have been doing their best in the last couple of seasons, but there's not a lot happening on the pitch - and then there's the fact that a lot of people obviously feel pretty numbed by the off-field catastrophe of 2006-8 too.

But still, I thought things were going to get better now that the "bandwagon-jumpers" and "glory-hunters" have departed. Perhaps a "real fan" can come on and explain why the atmosphere's worse than ever.

Charlie-Brown

There's seem to be a large amount of Hearts (un)supporters at games recently only too quick to turn against our own team & barrack our players than giving it tight to the opposition players & fans.

Didn't know anyone worked in Poltonhall. ;)

Tynecastle has always been quiet when we are rank against the smaller teams.

Thanks for that Dave! I actually said I was GOING to my work......who said I actually DO any :P and you're right mate, we were rank.......:o

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

my excuse was i was too hungover 2 get motivated at that game....

There's seem to be a large amount of Hearts (un)supporters at games recently only too quick to turn against our own team & barrack our players than giving it tight to the opposition players & fans.

Probably because most Hearts fans have absolutely no respect, connection or desire to continue to watch the utter sheite that is our first team squad. As has been the case for the last 2 seasons it looks a nap that HMFC will once again get the poorest value for money in the SPL and we have already lost 3 games to teams (not to mention the Airdrie debacle) who have a vastly inferior wage structure. Congrats Romanov you total tube.

my excuse was i was too hungover 2 get motivated at that game....

he he he! At least you're honest mate.....I was hungover EFTER the game! ;)

its chicken or egg thing but we are definately in a situation where it is more intimidating for our own players than it is for the oppositions....

I understand everyone needs to vent their frustrations and im as guilty as anybody when it comes to losing the plot at certain usual suspects but i would like to see what hapens to the atmosphere if just for one game we the fans completely ignore the ****e on display and only say positive things...

... I probably sound like a w4nk and we would probably all feel ridiculous at first but one things for sure: If we bite down on that first instinct to scream at the laddies on the pitch and instead say something positive or (heaven forbid) start a song it certainly cant make the team play any worse... and it might just make all the difference

Dr. Bapswent

The loudest singing was created when Killie were singing loudly, to drown them out.

The Hearts fans barely sang at all to support the team.

It was poor.

Its a sad day when fans are only prepared to sing in contest with other fans, and not for the benefit for their own team.

The fans have been rendered mute by Vlad

We also realise that getting right behind the team, as we have tried on numerous occasions over the past 3 years, simply makes not one jot of difference.

To become emotionally involved in every game (as you kind of need to do to get really up for it and noisy) has simply left fans so short changed, and so full of negative emotions - such as anger / frustration / helplessness / even anger, that fans have disengaged with the emotional and therefore vocal side of things

Its safer, emotionally speaking, to go along and observe and see how the games pan out

marshallschunkychicken

There was a point for about 30 seconds after a 'can you hear the jambos sing?' barracking from the Killie fans when the stadium woke up and the Hearts Song was belting around the ground.

It soon died out though, and apart from that, the atmosphere was pretty dire.

Dr. Bapswent
The fans have been rendered mute by Vlad

We also realise that getting right behind the team, as we have tried on numerous occasions over the past 3 years, simply makes not one jot of difference.

To become emotionally involved in every game (as you kind of need to do to get really up for it and noisy) has simply left fans so short changed, and so full of negative emotions - such as anger / frustration / helplessness / even anger, that fans have disengaged with the emotional and therefore vocal side of things

Its safer, emotionally speaking, to go along and observe and see how the games pan out

It would be even safer to stay home, and just look for the result after 90 mins.

But thats not supporting your team.

It would be even safer to stay home, and just look for the result after 90 mins.

But thats not supporting your team.

So we now judge supporters on how vocal they are?

I'm now away from Edinburgh

But I went to the Falkirk game (expecting at least to see this passing and moving game, and making and missing chances, that had been much talked about)

I didnt see a huge amount to shout about, and we lost. I went because I wanted to see the team I support, and wanted to see its "progress".

That said, at the end, I simply walked away thinking - well its not really that much better than last season. But I wasnt angry or in any sort of emotional negative deficit

The previous 2 seasons, however, I put my "heart and soul" into supporting the team, and more often than not got such short change from this emotional input that I was angry and frustrated after the game for a good bit.

This isnt a choice I have made, this is just the way my emotions have evolved over the past 3 years.

From reading various posts on here I think there are many others similarly emotionally disengaged. Still supporting, still attending, but less emotionally involved. Not through choice, simply through being human

Guest juvehearts

Fans have contiunally addressed this situation with the Board at HMFC for a singing section to be intorduced at games.

still nothing has been done about it.

IMO less & less fans are going & i believe hearts are missing out on a PR coup here by allowing any fan willing to move to seat to a singing section to do so & then the atmosphee at tynecastle will be back.

nothing wrong with saying G or N to be opened right up & for fans to sit/stand & sing for 90 mins?

is this too senceiable a post?!

There is no doubt about it Tynecastle was very quiet on Saturday... apart from one rendition of HHGH to drown out the Killie mob.

I have moved seats this year from the 5th row section D of the Wheatfield to the 22nd row section C and the atmosphere is totally different... nobody up there screams/shouts/sings etc... i'm already missin the banter from the lower rows and the verbal we would dish out to the players on the pitch!

The guy sitting in front of me on Saturday even complained when I 'shouted too loudly' FFS!

Tynecastle is deathly quiet now... partly because the supporters are so completely disallusioned when the team sheet is read out and we see another 4-4-1-1 formation on the pitch.

You want someone to blame for this.... Csaba is the man to blame, Fuc Romanov we know he is an arsehole... but in Csab we have a world class bull ****ter who has failed to give us 'sexy' football or anything to get remotely worked up about... except poor performances!

I mean... even when we have won we have not looked good, in fact we've been lucky! We are told that the team has the players to compete right up at the top of the spl... when they are on form... so why aren't they??!!

... one man; Csaba, has the answers and if he cuts the bull**** we'll find out why... and maybe the team will start to improve!

Tynecastle will break out in voice the moment the feel good factor returns and teams start to fear playing us at home... and i pray it will only happen sooner rather than later!

Dr. Bapswent
So we now judge supporters on how vocal they are?

I'm now away from Edinburgh

But I went to the Falkirk game (expecting at least to see this passing and moving game, and making and missing chances, that had been much talked about)

I didnt see a huge amount to shout about, and we lost. I went because I wanted to see the team I support, and wanted to see its "progress".

That said, at the end, I simply walked away thinking - well its not really that much better than last season. But I wasnt angry or in any sort of emotional negative deficit

The previous 2 seasons, however, I put my "heart and soul" into supporting the team, and more often than not got such short change from this emotional input that I was angry and frustrated after the game for a good bit.

This isnt a choice I have made, this is just the way my emotions have evolved over the past 3 years.

From reading various posts on here I think there are many others similarly emotionally disengaged. Still supporting, still attending, but less emotionally involved. Not through choice, simply through being human

I agree with you.

And I don't recall saying supporters should be judged on how they vocal they are.

But it is a barometer of the fans.

We have a chicken and egg scenario.

Fans are disillusioned. The performances are substandard.

Fans wont get behind the team with those sorts of performances.

The players are struggling to perform, and will find it more difficult without the support behind them.

Its reciprocal to an extent.

The cycle needs broken.

The fans are waiting on the players to break it.

But the only influence the fans can have is in their support.

As you put nicely, its emotionally safer to reserve that for fear of it being wasted.

But if the fans want to do anything to help, their support is necessary, it may be only a small thing, but its the only way they can do anything at all.

Harry Kinnear

After 3 relatively promising home SPL wins atmoshere might have been better but in patches on Sat it was just like last season. Last season lasted 3 mins till Hobos scored and this year it has lasted 3 home games, it's gonna be another long one

But if the fans want to do anything to help, their support is necessary, it may be only a small thing, but its the only way they can do anything at all.

Generally speaking I would agree with this.

But I think at various times over the past 3 years our fans really really have tried this.

They tried to get over Burley and remained behind the team

They tried to get over the appointment of Rix and remained behind the team

They tried to get over not having a permanent manager finish that season and remained behind the team

They tried to get over dodgy team selections at easter road and got behind the team

They tried to get over our captain, our keeper and our main playmaking / goalscoring midfielder being dropped because of politics

Even last season, I remember a game against Motherwell at home where we were one - nil up at half time, the second half started with a glorious 10 or 15 minutes of Hearts noise, support and songs.

We fell apart.

You are right - it is much much better to try and create the atmosphere that will best boost the players, and through adversity over the last 3 years I think Hearts fans have done a pretty damn good job.

But emotions don't lie and its difficult to "trick" them.

So your opinion is right, but I think it will take more than the supporters giving themselves a shake to get the atmosphere back

Guest JamboRobbo

It's called apathy. When something you care about is going down hill, and you realise there is nothing you can do to stop it, there is little point getting upset anymore, then apathy sets in.

Dr. Bapswent
Generally speaking I would agree with this.

But I think at various times over the past 3 years our fans really really have tried this.

They tried to get over Burley and remained behind the team

They tried to get over the appointment of Rix and remained behind the team

They tried to get over not having a permanent manager finish that season and remained behind the team

They tried to get over dodgy team selections at easter road and got behind the team

They tried to get over our captain, our keeper and our main playmaking / goalscoring midfielder being dropped because of politics

Even last season, I remember a game against Motherwell at home where we were one - nil up at half time, the second half started with a glorious 10 or 15 minutes of Hearts noise, support and songs.

We fell apart.

You are right - it is much much better to try and create the atmosphere that will best boost the players, and through adversity over the last 3 years I think Hearts fans have done a pretty damn good job.

But emotions don't lie and its difficult to "trick" them.

So your opinion is right, but I think it will take more than the supporters giving themselves a shake to get the atmosphere back

Im not suggesting the support needs to in anyway blame themselves etc.

Or that supporting the club as it continues to wallow in mediocrity is easy.

All im saying is its the only real thing the club can do in a week in week out capacity to show the club/players etc that they still support them over and above buying tickets.

I was sitting in section G, so didn't notice so much how quiet it was, but people I know who were listening to it on the radio said it was very noticeable. I was raging in the first half, and vocal about it although I wouldn't ever boo a Hearts player. By the second half though, I couldn't be bothered - maybe it's the lack of passion from the players that spreads to us supporters - or they've drugged the pies to calm us down - but I felt too depressed to sing or shout. It's hard to keep the enthusiasm levels up watching performances like that :sad:

Jam Tarts 1874
It's called apathy. When something you care about is going down hill, and you realise there is nothing you can do to stop it, there is little point getting upset anymore, then apathy sets in.

Apathy is probably the best word. I predicted on here on Saturday morning that another 4-4-1-1 formation would lead to a very long and quiet afternoon in the stands.

I don't agree that we are going downhill, but there are still too many players not giving 100% and too many in the team who are not good enough or out of position. However I think it is a bit too early to hang Csaba. Let's see how the team looks when more players are fit by the time we play hibs.

peckhamjambo

Here's an idea, if all 12 thousand (minus the kids) or so supporters who attended on Saturday and do so regularly (I am not one of those incidentally), get 4 or 5 pints down them pre-match, I reckon improvements might be seen in the atmosphere! I can sit and watch the worst game in the world when I am pis*ed and still enjoy it............

The club will always have ups and downs, we will have owners come and go, we will have good players and bad players come and go, some players will have feelings for the badge but the vast majority though will only have feelings for their bank accounts, but us the fans, the one constant of Heart of Midlothian FC should never have/show apathy when it comes to supporting the team. (all imo)

cobbyshambles

i felt at some points killie were the louder which is a sad day when that happens.there was the usual tool behind me abusing miko and stewart.Apparently stewart couldn't get a game in his grans nursing home-good luck making sense out of that!

Harry Kinnear
Here's an idea, if all 12 thousand (minus the kids) or so supporters who attended on Saturday and do so regularly (I am not one of those incidentally), get 4 or 5 pints down them pre-match, I reckon improvements might be seen in the atmosphere! I can sit and watch the worst game in the world when I am pis*ed and still enjoy it............

Excellent start to alcohol awareness week!

peckhamjambo
Excellent start to alcohol awareness week!

Surely the point of alcohol awareness week is to increase awareness of alcohol for those aren't currently aware of how great it is??! Just doing my bit for the cause!

There was a point for about 30 seconds after a 'can you hear the jambos sing?' barracking from the Killie fans when the stadium woke up and the Hearts Song was belting around the ground.

It soon died out though, and apart from that, the atmosphere was pretty dire.

Well, get the players playing with a bit of pride and passion and then the fans will back them. Usually what happens is the first 10 minutes or so, we try to get behind them. There's usually a couple of chances or half-chances to help the atmosphere along. It's usually about then you can tell the players that aren't going to bother performing on the day start to show it, this is around the time the first murmurings of discontent start around the ground. It's all about a lack of fight amongst the players and that's when the opposition, no matter who they are, start passing the ball around and wait for the right moment to either start attacking us as a team or wait 'til our players' heads start to go down. Exactly what they've probably spoken about in their changing room prior to kick-off.

maroonlegions

was in section N in the main stand and apart for a couple off " awe FFS wallace WTF are ya daying " :rolleyes:it was quite and you could tell the look and hear the groans and that was just after 10mis:eek:

Archived