team ingredient

talloaks

Before I continue with my thread I have to say that I am not xenophobic.

It is pretty obvious particulary from the last two games that what we require are players who are prepared to battle from the start by pressing hard in order then to dictate the pace of the game. The culture and mentality of the non UK football educated players is such that that they are in general unable to adapt to such a style. They want too much time on the ball and take far too many touches thereby setting themselves up to be pressed by the opposition. When you are being pressed in possesion of the ball in your own half what you need to do is pass first time behind the pressing players to your strikers and progress the game from there. If you are doing this then the pressing players step back a couple paces and therefore you have created some space for yourself. Clearly for this to be successful you have to be on the same wavelength as your strikers and they have to be able to hold the ball up. With our current squad the mix is weighted too much in favour of the non UK player and we need to redress the balance. Look at the Rangers and Celtic teams the majority every week are UK football educated players and both teams have the perfect mix of flair and workrate.

rudi must stay

It is pretty obvious particulary from the last two games that what we require are players who are prepared to battle from the start by pressing hard in order then to dictate the pace of the game. The culture and mentality of the non UK football educated players is such that that they are in general unable to adapt to such a style. They want too much time on the ball and take far too many touches thereby setting themselves up to be pressed by the opposition. When you are being pressed in possesion of the ball in your own half what you need to do is pass first time behind the pressing players to your strikers and progress the game from there. If you are doing this then the pressing players step back a couple paces and therefore you have created some space for yourself. Clearly for this to be successful you have to be on the same wavelength as your strikers and they have to be able to hold the ball up. With our current squad the mix is weighted too much in favour of the non UK player and we need to redress the balance. Look at the Rangers and Celtic teams the majority every week are UK football educated players and both teams have the perfect mix of flair and workrate.

nah. The problem is the players we are signing aren't good enough. We also give them big wages which means they also don't really care

Thunderstruck

Look at what happened to Motherwell last Thursday; a team packed with "good honest Scottish professionals" managed by one of the "best managers in Scotland".

The Old Firm have reduced their dependence on foreign players and have slipped backwards; they would be packed with the best that Europe and beyond has to offer - if they could afford them.

I am sorry Thunderstruck but that is not accurate . Correct me if I am wrong but Rangers got to the final of the UEFA cup and Celtic advanced to the later stages of the champions league with the majority of the team being UK educated.

Charlie-Brown

Skacel, Jankauskas, Fyssas, Bednar, Brellier & etc etc.

None of these players had played in UK football before and helped Hearts to their most successful season for forty plus years.

Sorry NO MORE HEROES but you are missing the point. I didn't say we shouldn't have foreign players but it is important to get the right mix of foreign and non-foreign.

Guest jambomickey
Skacel, Jankauskas, Fyssas, Bednar, Brellier & etc etc.

None of these players had played in UK football before and helped Hearts to their most successful season for forty plus years.

and they've gone to be replaced with dross!

The Team ingredient that is missing is passion and determination.

Its not got anything to do with Nationality.

Nobody from yesterdays performance over the 90 minutes showed passion to win. The team look like they had been flung together which the blame must lie with Csaba on that one.

I do not expect to win or even daw every week, but its getting harder and harder to face the journey and time taken to come to games to watch a lack of desire and a team that cant string 3 passes together.

Thunderstruck
I am sorry Thunderstruck but that is not accurate . Correct me if I am wrong but Rangers got to the final of the UEFA cup and Celtic advanced to the later stages of the champions league with the majority of the team being UK educated.

That's partly true for Celtic but that was likely a one-off for last season. Rangers did well with limited resources by employing the most negative of tactics. They also had more than a couple of foreign players such as Novo, Darcheville, Papac and one from outer space (Broadfoot).

My point that they use locals through necessity is still valid and, budget restrictions apart, they would be bringing in an array of foreign players.

Archived