We are where we are...

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff Kilpatrick

It is natural in the aftermath of a defeat to seek recriminations, particularly because we are seeing a catalogue of mistakes coming to a head at present.

However, shouting "GTF" won't necessarily solve anything, although it will make everyone feel a little better, I suppose! :)

So, what we need to do is accept that this mess will take quite a while to sort out and it will have to be done under the auspices of turning around a bloated footballing staff to do so, particularly one that is earning wages it could only dream about elsewhere.

Here's my list for sorting things out: -

1. Sack Korobochka - no one knows what he does but one of his alleged responsibilities is "player recruitment". He has failed in that (in fact, I can't think of a solitary success) and he needs to take responsibility for it. It would also clear some of the doubt over Csaba's control. Csaba should take over responsibility for player recruitment.

2. Pay off Makela, Beslija etc. in January. These wastes of space will only have 6 months left on their contracts then. Chase them!

3. Sign some experienced players with British football experience, particularly for the spine of the team (centre half and centre midfield). We lack leadership.

4. Judge Csaba at the end of the season.

5. Review our youth recruitment policies and John Murray's position.

6. Cut the squad back in June and bring in more youngsters (talking here about the players in the mid 20's who aren't good enough). We would then have a better balance of youth and experience.

This is all based on a lack of spending power. If Vlad was to find a spare ?xM or we were to be taken over, so much the better.

Leaving aside the issue of Romanov himself I agree entirely with your list. Add Cervenkov in at No 1 also.

I dont think any will happen under Romanov - the Csaba option aside.

I certainly think Csaba needs more time before WE judge him fully, however, his current report card is mixed.

Buy a ticket for the next Euro Lottery roll over and buy Hearst with the winnings.

Your List says it all, unfortunatley our owner sees things differently !

Leaving aside the issue of Romanov himself I agree entirely with your list. Add Cervenkov in at No 1 also.

I dont think any will happen under Romanov - the Csaba option aside.

I certainly think Csaba needs more time before WE judge him fully, however, his current report card is mixed.

JT mate, sadly nothing has changed. Having been at every game this season other than the ICT match I can honestly say that the early improvement was a complete false dawn. We are an unmitigated shambles and will continue to be so until the day Romanov departs. There are absolutely no positives, very few good players nevermind top class and we are going nowhere but down the league. It's not knee jerk or just a reason to moan but the stark reality. HMFC are currently a farce.

Chip Douglas
It is natural in the aftermath of a defeat to seek recriminations, particularly because we are seeing a catalogue of mistakes coming to a head at present.

However, shouting "GTF" won't necessarily solve anything, although it will make everyone feel a little better, I suppose! :)

So, what we need to do is accept that this mess will take quite a while to sort out and it will have to be done under the auspices of turning around a bloated footballing staff to do so, particularly one that is earning wages it could only dream about elsewhere.

Here's my list for sorting things out: -

1. Sack Korobochka - no one knows what he does but one of his alleged responsibilities is "player recruitment". He has failed in that (in fact, I can't think of a solitary success) and he needs to take responsibility for it. It would also clear some of the doubt over Csaba's control. Csaba should take over responsibility for player recruitment.

2. Pay off Makela, Beslija etc. in January. These wastes of space will only have 6 months left on their contracts then. Chase them!

3. Sign some experienced players with British football experience, particularly for the spine of the team (centre half and centre midfield). We lack leadership.

4. Judge Csaba at the end of the season.

5. Review our youth recruitment policies and John Murray's position.

6. Cut the squad back in June and bring in more youngsters (talking here about the players in the mid 20's who aren't good enough). We would then have a better balance of youth and experience.

This is all based on a lack of spending power. If Vlad was to find a spare ?xM or we were to be taken over, so much the better.

There's a systematic failure in recruitment of players. We absolutely need to start from the drawing board. I think we're bottom 6 six certs at the moment.

What gets me is the abandonment of the decent football we were playing in the first few games of the season; does not bode well on all accounts.

Chip Douglas
JT mate, sadly nothing has changed. Having been at every game this season other than the ICT match I can honestly say that the early improvement was a complete false dawn. We are an unmitigated shambles and will continue to be so until the day Romanov departs. There are absolutely no positives, very few good players nevermind top class and we are going nowhere but down the league. It's not knee jerk or just a reason to moan but the stark reality. HMFC are currently a farce.

Reactionary hogwash. Just because we're **** doesn't mean we're a farce.

There's a systematic failure in recruitment of players. We absolutely need to start from the drawing board. I think we're bottom 6 six certs at the moment.

That sounds like a "farce" to me. We knew, or we should have known in July/August that we were very short on quality. Last season proved it conclusively and we did nothing about it.

On the other hand we went to great lengths to get a manager in.

I think its farcical that we did that but didnt support him by providing him with new players of decent quality

We've got a whole load of "Europes best" youth players, some of them nearing their twenties now and no longer youths, who the whole future of the club was supposedly going to be built around but we havent seen any of them anywhere near a Hearts first team jersey. I'm talking about the likes of Kostadinov, Rapnik, Park and the other Romanian laddie who's disappeared of the radar so far I cant even remember his name

I think its farcical that we've invested massively in foreign youth 3 years ago and the only one who has come through with even a moderate number of first team appearances is Eggert Jonnson

Chip Douglas
That sounds like a "farce" to me. We knew, or we should have known in July/August that we were very short on quality. Last season proved it conclusively and we did nothing about it.

On the other hand we went to great lengths to get a manager in.

I think its farcical that we did that but didnt support him by providing him with new players of decent quality

We've got a whole load of "Europes best" youth players, some of them nearing their twenties now and no longer youths, who the whole future of the club was supposedly going to be built around but we havent seen any of them anywhere near a Hearts first team jersey. I'm talking about the likes of Kostadinov, Rapnik, Park and the other Romanian laddie who's disappeared of the radar so far I cant even remember his name

I think its farcical that we've invested massively in foreign youth 3 years ago and the only one who has come through with even a moderate number of first team appearances is Eggert Jonnson

That might be farcical to you but it's not more farcical than any other professional football setup.

Hearts are not a farce. Hearts are mediocre.

That might be farcical to you but it's not more farcical than any other professional football setup.

Why are we mediocre though.

I'd suggest most of the reasons we are mediocre now, are in fact farcical.

By farcical I mean brought about by farcical leadership and ownership decision making over a 3 year period.

Given our levels of investment compared with the other mediocre teams we should not be mediocre

We are in the exact same position as last season (& probably the season before that). We have a coach (not a manager), we have a Board/backroom staff that still don't seem to have the concept of putting together a football team. We DO have some decent players & good youth system but if the top can't get it right then how can the players? They did try that before ala the Riccarton 3.

The tactics are wrong, the players are playing out of position & we are so low on confidence at the moment. The atmosphere at Tynie on the last 12/18 months says it all! Teams don't fear us, other managers have us sussed & certain players are going through the motions. Who is to blame?? Well you must start at the top but the players can't & MUST no longer hide behind this excuse.

IMHO we do have a team capable of being 3rd in the league. Take a 1000 fans ask them to put a team out on a matchday from our current squad (which are uninjured) & i'll bet the majority will say the same players, this would be the same with players that should leave. There is a major failure at the club and someone/people MUST take responsibility for that.

We are a farce. Live with it.

for those of you who didn't make it or weren't eliglble to go the recent meeting with Csaba he said at that time his intention was to improve season on season and that starting in the January transfer market he would be looking to build better for next season. Post dated 5th October.

We are a farce. Live with it.

Indeed we are.

We're now learning the hard way that it is far more difficult to replace all of the good things spitefully removed by Romanov - managerial and playing talent, captaincy and leadership, spirit and motivation, organisation and coherence - than it was to destroy them in the first place.

The dilettante dictator never was one to appreciate the fine margin between success and failure in professional sport. He thought he could bring in ing?nus and nobodies to run the third-biggest club in Scotland. He hasn't a clue.

It was obvious even back in January when the statement was made that the task was a long-term one, not a quick fix. But in a very real sense we haven't started yet. Major questions remain: does Csaba have the authority and the talent to do the job? And even if he does, will he be given the time and resources necessary to rebuild this shattered squad?

portobellojambo1

I think if you were to write down a list of your own personal reasons why you believe Hearts are, in your words, "mediocre" you would probably come to the conclusion that the reasons are farcical when you then read through them again.

In fact you have given one prime reason already, our abject failure to recruit good quality players of late, the failure to allow the manager to determine who is good enough for the squad and who is not. If you know that the club is mediocre yet you know that the club will not sign the players they need to get better, surely that can only be described as farcical.

It doesn't mean the club is a farce, it means the way we operate is farcical, two different things.

Archived