Webster ?150k ! - [MERGED THREADS]

12XU

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
Why the feck wasn't the Webster ruling mentioned on BBC Scotland news tonight ?

I didnt want to play the paranoia card but I noticed they seemed to gloss over it. Imagine Hutton had done it today and Spurs had only to pay 150k. It would have been on the bloody National news.

I noticed Frail looked less than impress at having to stand next to McCoist. Should have punched his fat smug face.

I have a feeling it could get quite tasty tonight.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not convinced of the apocalytic view of this decision. I think any future transfers of employment will continue to be regulated by the FIFA regulations. A player leaving a club is only free to play for another one if the new club can register him with their FA. The circumstances under which this can take place are very specific in the FIFA regs. It should follow thereofore that a player leaving a club must be able to satisfy his new club and then the appropriate regulatory body that he is free to do so. If Webster had been unable to persuade a new club, in this case Wigan, that he was acting within his rights as set out by FIFA then he would not have been free to sign until his contract with Hearts expired. It was the fact that Wigan, the FA and the SFA agreed he had a case that allowed the move to take place. Any club who signed a player who walked outwith the FIFA regs would risk being outlawed from football and the same would be true of any association who sanctioned it. FIFA regs can of course be challenged in a court of law but that really is mutually assured destruction and I cannot believe it would be a risk taken by any club or asociation.

So how are the Scottish media going to react?

Do you think Chic Young will think that this is a fair price?

Screwed again.

I wouldnt be surprised if very little is made of it at all. Given the current anti-Jambo sentiment amongst hacks, they cant really comment on this and maintain their attitude towards Hearts without sounding like complete tw*ts. Rest assured they"ll make their feelings known on the subject, but probably not until it happens to one of the OF.

What I cant get my head around is the application of the law in this case. They basically say that they'll decide whether Scottish or Swiss Law applies after they've heard the case (with advice from legal experts, allegedly)?? Webster argued that only FIFA legislation should apply to his contract as these were the rules under which its content was governed...and reckons that Hearts themselves have 'expressly' admitted recognition of this fact by submitting their appeal notes to both CAS and FIFA. EH? That's surely a stipulation of the appeal process rather than some sort of implied acknowledgement? Would CAS even look at a case that hadn't been referred to the sports own governing body? Pffttt. Whats even more irritating is that bloody Webster then argues that Scots Law can't be applied because FIFA regulations stipulate that when cases are referred to CAS for arbitration, that CAS will apply the rules of FIFA in the first instance and then Swiss Law.

In other words, article 17(1) does not require that compensation be determined in application of a national law or that the rules on contractual damage contained in the law of the country concerned have any sort of priority over the other elements and criteria listed in article 17(1). It simply means that the decision-making body shall take into consideration the law of the country concerned while remaining free to determine what weight, if any, is to be given to the provisions thereof in light of the content of such law,

the criteria for compensation laid down in article 17(1) itself and any other criteria deemed relevant in the circumstances of the case.

So basically, CAS get to decide which laws to apply and which to ignore then? Excellent system. How fair.

And another thing...what the heck is this all about? What could the Italian governing body possibly have to say about this case or events that are relevant to it? Weird....

On 15 October 2007, the Lega Nazionale Professionisti filed a non-solicited letter with the CAS purporting to comment on certain aspects of the dispute between the parties.

On another aspect I have said before that I find the position of the players union baffling. While this judgement may help players whose services are in demand it may well probably have the opposite effect lower down the ccain. I can see that journeyman pros will now have to make do with year to year contracts and that players suffering long term injuries may find their club unwilling to continue their contract until recovery. There is also the not inconsequentiaal matter of the threat to professional football as a whole with the continuing collapse of the transfer system. Have Fraser Wishart and the union thought this through?

jambos are go!

Never agreed with transfer fees for a footballer but not for a plumber. However, the ruling seems to suggest that the average SPL player is only worth ?100k for each remaining year on his contract.Bad news indeed for youth academies. And if suggested it means the end of umpteen million transfer fees does the big TV money then go into more inflated players wages. Good news for big clubs and top players methinks.

It also explains Rangers hurry to offload Hutton and the Hibs exodus before the ugly new world dawns. It may have been about a lot more than getting a good price for Webster.

Malinga the Swinga
On another aspect I have said before that I find the position of the players union baffling. While this judgement may help players whose services are in demand it may well probably have the opposite effect lower down the ccain. I can see that journeyman pros will now have to make do with year to year contracts and that players suffering long term injuries may find their club unwilling to continue their contract until recovery. There is also the not inconsequentiaal matter of the threat to professional football as a whole with the continuing collapse of the transfer system. Have Fraser Wishart and the union thought this through?

That's because Wishart only cares about getting his face in the paper and media and couldn't give a monkeys about smaller clubs.

Malinga the Swinga
I doubt it rangers pay and treat their players very well. I don't think this will have the impact many are forecasting. It looks like we lost out because the relationship between club and player broke down long before GTFster broke the contract, not because of the way webster used the rule.

You are coming out with a lot of empathy with Rangers tonight are you not. Rangers only treat players they think they can profit from well, they certainly didn't treat the staff in their shops very well though.

Drylaw Hearts

?150,000 ?????????

What a frickin joke.

Players now seem to have ALL the power.

The Clubs who make them into better players are going to be shafted at every opportunity.

I'd like to repeat the point from earlier, as it has been clearly ignored/missed.

Webster continued to play football in Hearts' first team for a significant spell after the Tannadice incident when contract talks broke down.

Webster dropped out of the side in Valdas Ivanauskas' first game in charge - a change in management brought a change in personnel. Whether that was for one reason or another is fairly irrelevant.

That makes a lot of the points on this thread about him being dropped completely invalid.

Archived