Will these players make it?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

A lot is made of our huge squad and when youngsters like Branny, Copil, McGowan and Rapnik will get a game, but what about those players that aren't really youngsters any more?

Marco Pelosi and Craig Sives are 22. David Armstrong, Dennis McLaughlin, Matt Doherty, John Armstrong, Alan Lithgow and Sean Mackle are all 21. Alastair Devine and Matthew Park are 20.

Will any of these guys make it? These days most professionals who are going to succeed have at least had a stint in the first-team before they turn 20.

And if they aren't going to make it, would it not make sense to give them free transfers to save cash?

Has anybody seen any of them play regularly?

Jambof3tornado

IMO David Armstrong and Sean Mackle will make it,the rest I am not so sure about but given the low wages I dont see the point in punting them just yet.

A lot is made of our huge squad and when youngsters like Branny, Copil, McGowan and Rapnik will get a game, but what about those players that aren't really youngsters any more?

Marco Pelosi and Craig Sives are 22. David Armstrong, Dennis McLaughlin, Matt Doherty, John Armstrong, Alan Lithgow and Sean Mackle are all 21. Alastair Devine and Matthew Park are 20.

Will any of these guys make it? These days most professionals who are going to succeed have at least had a stint in the first-team before they turn 20.

And if they aren't going to make it, would it not make sense to give them free transfers to save cash?

If they have contracts then you can't just free them you have to offer them some kind of financial settlement on their contract same as any other player and we'd do better to get rid of higher earners like Makela, Beslija etc first who are a much bigger drain on resources for very little contribution.

The obvious answer is that of course not all of these players will make it, maybe 1 or 2 still stand a chance but like any player they really have to work hard for a chance and I believe some of them have been made offers to go if they want.....

I've seen them all play and whilst they are all definitely good enough to be professional footballers and I'm sure most are & will be good enough to play somewhere they haven't shown enough to get themselves into our first team contention at Hearts, as long as they are here there is still a chance but there are plenty others coming up behind & forcing themselves ahead in the coaches thoughts.

Sives is on-loan at Queen of the South and has been a first pick in every game so far whilst Matty Doherty has now left Hearts & signed for Linfield.

A lot of these players have been at Hearts now for a few years. Personally, i don't think they'll get the chance to prove themselves, they could be good enough but at 21/22, without any 1st team experience by now, it's likely they'll get the chop sooner rather than later. They certainly are no worse than some of the dross we've watched over the last couple of years but certain people at the club will never give them the chance to show what they can do, they have their favourites no matter how bad they play at times. Shame though.

Pelosi probably has the worst attitude I've ever seen so I'd doubt he'll ever make it, at anyone.

He is also not very good.

Found his level at Raith last season.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It seemed unusual to me that these players are still around. They probably shouldn't have been given the contracts they were. Among the other teams in the SPL outside the OF I don't think any of them have a sizeable group of players over 20 who are not involved at all in the first-team. Hopefully they'll be punted soon, it can't be doing the finances any good.

It makes no logical sense at all to have such a bloated squad, but according to some the club is run perfectly and it's really sensible to offer players who have done (and will probably continue to do) nothing 5 year contracts. i think we are aiming for the Kaunas system, put as much muck in your pan as you can and hope this means a greater chance of finding a wee speck of gold.

Big John Armstrong is at Cowdenbeath. Seen him a few times last season when he was on loan there and have seen him this season as well. He was really good in the second division last season and is obvioulsy far too good for the 3rd division.

One of my mates is a Cowden fan and rates him very highly. I would like to see him in the first division as I reckon he wouldn't be out of place.

David Armstrong was rated much the same as his namesake.

Sean Mackle wasn't rated highly at Cowden at all.

Dennis McLaughin is a 3rd division player.

If they are not in the first team by the time they are twenty they should be emptied. This is how it works evreywhere else.

jamboinglasgow
If they are not in the first team by the time they are twenty they should be emptied. This is how it works evreywhere else.

I think it depends on the player. Think sometimes this can be a problem for young players. Glen Hoddle set up a football academy for players who get chucked out of clubs aged 18 to 21 as he feels that alot dont get given a chance and the time show abilty. People progress at different stages. Think he is doing something which is a good idea.

I think it depends on the player. Think sometimes this can be a problem for young players. Glen Hoddle set up a football academy for players who get chucked out of clubs aged 18 to 21 as he feels that alot dont get given a chance and the time show abilty. People progress at different stages. Think he is doing something which is a good idea.

That's true, Davie Weir being an example of someone who came into the game at a relatively late age but, as a rule of thumb, if they have not played for the first team by the time they are twenty then I don't hold out much hope that they will make it at the top end of the game.

It is a very big step up from youth/reserves to playing for a team like Hearts.

There is also still a misconception that Hearts do not give young players a chance yet the average age of our back line last saturday must have been about 22.

And of course Rixxxy is helping him out.

Archived