Going To Madrid

Goose Baxter

Me and a friend are going to Madrid on the 1st of November to see the atletico madrid v mallorca game that weekend.

Wanting to take in Both stadium tours when we are there. Has anyone been to madrid before? Recommend anything else worth seeing while we are there?

Does anyone know if Getafe would do stadium tours?

Is the beer expensive/cheap?

I went on a corporate trip a couple of years ago. Don't think the beer was particularly expensive other than a few late night bars that we found. Which were very interesting!!!!!

Plenty of history around if that takes your fancy. I was only there for two days but if I ever have a Tapas meal again it will be too soon. We somehow managed 3 in two days.

the location of the Bernabau really surprised me. Its right in the city and surrounded on three sides by buildings. No room around the stadium at all. Makes the argument that Tynecastle needed better parking look a bit daft.

I went on a corporate trip a couple of years ago. Don't think the beer was particularly expensive other than a few late night bars that we found. Which were very interesting!!!!!

Plenty of history around if that takes your fancy. I was only there for two days but if I ever have a Tapas meal again it will be too soon. We somehow managed 3 in two days.

the location of the Bernabau really surprised me. Its right in the city and surrounded on three sides by buildings. No room around the stadium at all. Makes the argument that Tynecastle needed better parking look a bit daft.

Nice one Cobblers, Its supposed to be a total football weekend but am always interested in other things.

What is a Tapas meal?

I was there for a stag do in July, great place!

We tried to do the Calderon tour but as there was not enough people wanting to do it that day the tour didn't go ahead, so might be worth your while getting your hotel to phone the club or something before trekking down there (assuming you are staying centrally).

The Bernabeu tour is good. Its a self tour so you can go round at your own pace. Plus look out for "Watson" - you'll know what I mean when you see it ;)

If you are there on a Sunday night, head up to the Retiro park as there should be plenty going on (music/dancing etc).

Beer prices are average, though a little higher in the main hotspots. You should go to a nightclub called Kapital if you get the chance - amazing night out!!

chester copperpot

Went to Real Madrid V Osasuna 7 years ago (Well 6 and a half). Was baltic cold, got tickets for about 8 Euro's (Which I though was a bargain at the time). Climbed the Alto (Thats what its called aye? I forget) up to the very top tier. Wondered why there was fans there with the wee Opera Glasses and dried bird seed.

Well the smallness of the entry fee proved to be right, as I saw next to nothing, the only one I could make out was Zidane, who was obviously a bit bald. I also got covered in said sunflower seeds every time Madrid came close to scoring.

Atmosphere was crap, wished I was in beside's the Osasuna fans, as they were just to my left and were mental throughout the game.

Went on the stadium and trophy room tour. WOW, beats anything that any other club in the world can provide. The trophy room (like a museum type experience) is fab, and includes the Real Madrid basketball club too (which is apparently quite successful too)

I was there for a stag do in July, great place!

We tried to do the Calderon tour but as there was not enough people wanting to do it that day the tour didn't go ahead, so might be worth your while getting your hotel to phone the club or something before trekking down there (assuming you are staying centrally).

The Bernabeu tour is good. Its a self tour so you can go round at your own pace. Plus look out for "Watson" - you'll know what I mean when you see it ;)

If you are there on a Sunday night, head up to the Retiro park as there should be plenty going on (music/dancing etc).

Yeah arrive on the sat and leave on the monday as the games can change for t.v rights. My mate is the A.Madrid fan and it was a spur off hte moemnt thing to book it. Flights and accomodation for ?96 :-) cant complain.

Me and a friend are going to Madrid on the 1st of November to see the atletico madrid v mallorca game that weekend.

Wanting to take in Both stadium tours when we are there. Has anyone been to madrid before? Recommend anything else worth seeing while we are there?

Does anyone know if Getafe would do stadium tours?

Is the beer expensive/cheap?

Great city for just wandering around in, having a few beers on the way! El Retiro park is worth a visit on a nice day. Lots of big, important, art museums if you've got time and the notion for culture.

The area around Plaza Santa Ana is good for drinks and tapas, during the day and in the evening.

Puerta del Sol is touristy by day and scuzzy / sleazy by night, but other than that all of the old centre is worthwhile. Just take a wander around and explore: see what you find for yourself. There are fewer and fewer of the places left, but you know when you've hit on a real, traditional, Madrid bar when - with every beer or wine you order - you get a free snack (tapa). Most of the time, you've got to pay these days!

Beer cheap by Edinburgh standards, and wine very cheap - spirits too probably, especially local ones. Can't comment on club prices, as I'm an old git.

It's a really good city.

i went to the same fixture last year, fantastic atmosphere created by the lunatic atletico ultras and i got the bonus of seeing Torres score in a 1-1 draw. the calderon is an unbelievable stadium but i only did the bernabau tour which is well worth it.

go to the ground around 2 hours before kick off and mingle with the locals. there is nothing around the stadium as it is in a sort of housing estate. there are loads of little cantina type things which are basically doorways which open on matchday to reveal little bars inside.

enjoy

Archived