First match at Tynecastle in 18 years.....

peckhamjambo

Guys

As the title of the thread says, Saturday will be my first match at Tynecastle since about 1990, a time when I was living in Rosyth and frequented Tynie regularly.

Before anyone starts to comment on my credentials as a 'real' Hearts fan, I have been to pre-season games, SPL away games, the cup final and european games within that time, but not Tynecastle. The reasons for this are many, I have no family in Edinburgh, my English mates are not interested, it is expensive, and more personal reasons.

Either way, circumstances have changed, and I am flying up to Newcastle on Friday to visit family, then train to Edinburgh Saturday morning, and then on to see the famous! How do I feel? Excited would be an understatement. Nervous too though. My memories of Tynie are the unbelievably green grass, no new Roseburn or Wheatfield Stands, the Shed where my Dad would lift me on to his shoulders, the crushes on the way out of the game. The smells, the sounds, getting a bovril for the first time and treating it like tea or coffee by putting sugar in it.

Sometimes I look at all the negativity on this board, and whilst understandable, on a more basic level, you guys who through circumstance have season tickets do not realise how lucky you are! I would give my left (or right for that matter) testicle to be in your position...........to see the team I have loved all of my life on a regular basis, without hassle or too much planning or expense (relatively speaking).

Saturday will be like a pilgrimage for me. Like being reacquainted with my long lost love. I can't wait, and despite being on my own, I will be enjoying a few pre-match pints in Robertsons, as well as belting out songs in Section N come game time.

So, if you see a cockney speaking guy either in the boozer or in Section N on Saturday, black North Face jacket on no doubt, go easy, I AM A JAMBO!

Mon the Hearts!

Enjoy yerself but you really will miss the shed, the benches, the **** running down the steps and the magic atmosphere no matter who we played.

I think I'm gonna have a wee weep to myself.

Guys

As the title of the thread says, Saturday will be my first match at Tynecastle since about 1990, a time when I was living in Rosyth and frequented Tynie regularly.

Before anyone starts to comment on my credentials as a 'real' Hearts fan, I have been to pre-season games, SPL away games, the cup final and european games within that time, but not Tynecastle. The reasons for this are many, I have no family in Edinburgh, my English mates are not interested, it is expensive, and more personal reasons.

Either way, circumstances have changed, and I am flying up to Newcastle on Friday to visit family, then train to Edinburgh Saturday morning, and then on to see the famous! How do I feel? Excited would be an understatement. Nervous too though. My memories of Tynie are the unbelievably green grass, no new Roseburn or Wheatfield Stands, the Shed where my Dad would lift me on to his shoulders, the crushes on the way out of the game. The smells, the sounds, getting a bovril for the first time and treating it like tea or coffee by putting sugar in it.

Sometimes I look at all the negativity on this board, and whilst understandable, on a more basic level, you guys who through circumstance have season tickets do not realise how lucky you are! I would give my left (or right for that matter) testicle to be in your position...........to see the team I have loved all of my life on a regular basis, without hassle or too much planning or expense (relatively speaking).

Saturday will be like a pilgrimage for me. Like being reacquainted with my long lost love. I can't wait, and despite being on my own, I will be enjoying a few pre-match pints in Robertsons, as well as belting out songs in Section N come game time.

So, if you see a cockney speaking guy either in the boozer or in Section N on Saturday, black North Face jacket on no doubt, go easy, I AM A JAMBO!

Mon the Hearts!

No Gorgie stand either!

I'm actually in section N funnily enough. Love it. Very near to the away dugout.

I look forward to your post-match report peckhamjambo. It should give an interesting insight into the changes that have occurred in the last two decades.

Hope you enjoy it and that your journey is rewarded with 3pts for the mighty JTs.

Glad to hear a good Jambo reaquainting himself with Tynie, a shame it's not an OldFirm or Hibs game as the atmosphere is usually pretty good, against the smaller teams however, the atmosphere is pretty dire and sitting down throughout the game can make it feel really dull with the Hearts players picked on for poor performances by the fans. If your a smoker, you can't smoke in or around the ground, you just end up arguing with stewards and they tell you to sit down constantly and stop you passing by the walkway past the disabled fans as you try to get to your seat(Wheatfield experience anyway!) If your not in that area, i hope your experience of a matchday is better than that! Otherwise, have a good day and we look forward to reading what you thought on JKB early next week.

No Gorgie stand either!

I'm actually in section N funnily enough. Love it. Very near to the away dugout.

Me too, not sure how long I'd last if rat boy or tattie head said something directly at me though, which has made me think about changing seats.

Me too, not sure how long I'd last if rat boy or tattie head said something directly at me though, which has made me think about changing seats.

I actually had a season ticket in section N a while ago (before moving to Gorgie, then eventually making it back to section N for this season). I remember sitting at the 4-4 Hibs game. Mixu (when he played) was standing in the dugout and turned around to look at us. No joke he had everyone in the section shouting abuse at him, then for a police officer for telling him to stop looking at us :rofl: priceless.

Guys

Mon the Hearts!

Where did you live in Rosyth m8? I hope you really enjoy yourself, unfortunatley I can't be there till mid Nov as I'm in Iraq and I'm missing it like hell

Guys

Mon the Hearts!

i lived away from edinburgh for years so know how you feel about coming back to tynie.its sucj a buzz when you have ben away for so long. if the match is a cracker all the better but im sure (just like me) it willbe just great to be back.

if you are travelling on your own and goingtothe match on your own then nae bother to meet upfor a pint either off train or heading up to gorgie.let me know

Glad to hear a good Jambo reaquainting himself with Tynie, a shame it's not an OldFirm or Hibs game as the atmosphere is usually pretty good, against the smaller teams however, the atmosphere is pretty dire and sitting down throughout the game can make it feel really dull with the Hearts players picked on for poor performances by the fans. If your a smoker, you can't smoke in or around the ground, you just end up arguing with stewards and they tell you to sit down constantly and stop you passing by the walkway past the disabled fans as you try to get to your seat(Wheatfield experience anyway!) If your not in that area, i hope your experience of a matchday is better than that! Otherwise, have a good day and we look forward to reading what you thought on JKB early next week.

Not worried too much about the fact it is ICT, have tickets for the Celtic game at the beginning of November and Hibs on January 3rd so not too bad! Will definitely post my reaction after the game though!

Where did you live in Rosyth m8? I hope you really enjoy yourself, unfortunatley I can't be there till mid Nov as I'm in Iraq and I'm missing it like hell

Sherbrooke Road if I remember correctly, in the Navy married quarters there. Going back some years though, wasn't far from the NAAFI and there was some kind of Community Centre/hall across the road from there??!! Long time ago!

i lived away from edinburgh for years so know how you feel about coming back to tynie.its sucj a buzz when you have ben away for so long. if the match is a cracker all the better but im sure (just like me) it willbe just great to be back.

if you are travelling on your own and goingtothe match on your own then nae bother to meet upfor a pint either off train or heading up to gorgie.let me know

Might have to take you up on that offer buddy! I am going up on my own on Saturday morning and obviously into the match as well, will PM you with my mobile number and would love to chat about the Hearts over a few lagers!

Lee

Might have to take you up on that offer buddy! I am going up on my own on Saturday morning and obviously into the match as well, will PM you with my mobile number and would love to chat about the Hearts over a few lagers!

Lee

Soft southern sh*te :P:hobofish:

Enjoy your day PJ

I fancy Csaba will have the boys geed up for Saturday :)

Soft southern sh*te :P:hobofish:

Enjoy your day PJ

I fancy Csaba will have the boys geed up for Saturday :)

Haha! And I was born in Newcastle!! Beer should be cold. FACT.:eek:

Sherbrooke Road if I remember correctly, in the Navy married quarters there. Going back some years though, wasn't far from the NAAFI and there was some kind of Community Centre/hall across the road from there??!! Long time ago!

Wouldn't bother heading back to see the old place like the Bronx these days!

Wouldn't bother heading back to see the old place like the Bronx these days!

Worse than Peckham where I lived before or Wembley where I am now?!

Guest jambomickey
Guys

Mon the Hearts!

hope you enjoy the day mate and you get a good hearts victory to make your journey worthwhile

Worse than Peckham where I lived before or Wembley where I am now?!

Having never been to either place couldn't possibly comment but know that i wouldn't be hanging about Sherbrook, my sister stayed there for a few years when the old navy houses went to the housing assosciation and it was nice but full of junkies and jakies now and my sis couldn't get out quick enough!

enjoy ur trip to tynie, i am on the 9.30 train from york, gets into to geordie land at bout 1030, not sure what time you leavin newcastle for edinburgh, welcome to join me for a beer on the train

Guys

Mon the Hearts!

hope you have a great day mate! i would give my left arm to have a mon-fri 9-5 job and live in edinburgh so i could go every week. dont get me wrong im a season ticket holder and will get to most games this year(i hope)

cant wait till i retire il be there every week home and away!!!

Good for you. Enjoy yourself mate. I just hope you're not a Jonah!!:eek:

Jonah?? Forgive my ignorance???!!!

enjoy ur trip to tynie, i am on the 9.30 train from york, gets into to geordie land at bout 1030, not sure what time you leavin newcastle for edinburgh, welcome to join me for a beer on the train

superb, look out for the fat guy with the north face jacket and the hearts scarf! will be getting the 10.36 from the toon! must be your train?! will have a few tinnies on me so lets make some noise!!

All the best on Sat Peckham Jambo.

Hope you have the best day of yer life.

Thanks fella, although it shoudn't sound like an epitaph, unless you know something I dont??!!!:eek:

anyone able to fill me in on what a Jonah is??!!

I think he means you might be bad luck :(

In which case your spirit has infested the place for two and a half years :)

Enjoy the day mate

WELCOME HOME MATE

sure the game will be a cracker and you will wish you never left as some one goes to all games by myself even if you dont met up with anyone off here am sure you know how welcome every jambo is in all the pubs around the ground

Seymour M Hersh
anyone able to fill me in on what a Jonah is??!!

Just a bit of fun pj, I'm sure you wont be. Here is a brief explanation.

According to the book of Jonah, he was the son of Amittai (meaning 'My Truth'). God orders Jonah to prophesy to the city of Nineveh. Not wanting to, Jonah tries to avoid God's command by going to Joppa and sailing to Tarshish. A huge storm arises and the sailors, realizing this is no ordinary storm, cast lots and learn that Jonah is to blame. Jonah admits this and states that if he is thrown overboard the storm will cease. The sailors try to get the ship to the shore but in failing feel forced to throw him overboard, at which point the sea calms. Jonah is miraculously saved by being swallowed by a large fish.

The moral of the story is avoid porty at all costs!!:)

Just a bit of fun pj, I'm sure you wont be. Here is a brief explanation.

According to the book of Jonah, he was the son of Amittai (meaning 'My Truth'). God orders Jonah to prophesy to the city of Nineveh. Not wanting to, Jonah tries to avoid God's command by going to Joppa and sailing to Tarshish. A huge storm arises and the sailors, realizing this is no ordinary storm, cast lots and learn that Jonah is to blame. Jonah admits this and states that if he is thrown overboard the storm will cease. The sailors try to get the ship to the shore but in failing feel forced to throw him overboard, at which point the sea calms. Jonah is miraculously saved by being swallowed by a large fish.

The moral of the story is avoid porty at all costs!!:)

Wikipedia :eek:

Jonah?? Forgive my ignorance???!!!

Some Biblical Dude who brought bad luck. Brought a storm down on a ship so the sailors threw him overboard, then he got swallowed by a whale - Nae Luck. I guess in modern times you could say "Hibby". You know, you got the disease, the ugly pock marked face, the affiliation with blokes bums and you have further bad luck because you support the worst fitba team in the world. then again, calling someone a "Hibby" is a lot worse than calling them a Jonah, so perhaps not.....

As for Saturday, all the best to you PJ. I've kept my season ticket this year but the first game I'll make is when Der Hun arrive at Tynie. Wish I was going up this weekend. Enjoy the day, and enjoy the BEER.....

Ah! Sherbrooke Rd, I live near the Gladyerinn and the club across from the NAAFI (now the Spar) is the Forth Club, some things never change eh! have a great time on Sat I will have to endure Hearts World :)

FTH

Ah! Sherbrooke Rd, I live near the Gladyerinn and the club across from the NAAFI (now the Spar) is the Forth Club, some things never change eh! have a great time on Sat I will have to endure Hearts World :)

FTH

That's the one!!! Many an afternoon spent being dragged into the Gladyerinn by my alcoholic father!!

Very random I know, but pretty sure I went to see some 'wrestling' in the Forth Club when I was a nipper, seem to remember the 'performers' being very poor imitations of Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy, which is saying something to be fair..........

FTH

festerlehearts
Guys

Mon the Hearts!

aaaa peckham water possibly the best water in the world ......so dellboy told me :1092: enjoy your day your with your own people now feel the passion running thru your vains and the excitment of the fans when the players come out the tunnel , hope its a good one and 3 points enjoy

superb, look out for the fat guy with the north face jacket and the hearts scarf! will be getting the 10.36 from the toon! must be your train?! will have a few tinnies on me so lets make some noise!!

Mind and stay off the peckham spring or youll be lit up like a christmas tree:)

Mind and stay off the peckham spring or youll be lit up like a christmas tree:)

haha! classic tv! you've just reminded me though, mods, can I change my username to 'wembleyjambo' since I dont live in peckham anymore and am not too keen on the david jason comparisons!

right, just got back from being oop norf, will get some time later to post my VERY honest assessment of the game, pre-match, post-match etc. must say before i do though, special mention to UKOL who was a gentleman in robertsons before the game and made me feel welcome - good lad (in a none homosexual way!)

Doctor FinnBarr
right, just got back from being oop norf, will get some time later to post my VERY honest assessment of the game, pre-match, post-match etc. must say before i do though, special mention to UKOL who was a gentleman in robertsons before the game and made me feel welcome - good lad (in a none homosexual way!)
Strange for Robbos!;)Glad you enjoyed it tho mate, "Haste ye back"

didnt realise it was that kind of place! in all seriousness though, great day, great people, happy days!

Doctor FinnBarr
didnt realise it was that kind of place! in all seriousness though, great day, great people, happy days!

It prob isn't but you can't beat a good rumour!

:107years:

Have just returned from a busy 5 week "holiday" in Scotland only game I could get to was Falkirk so apologies for the result probably my fault. I was treated to the hospitality there had a great day pretty far gone by the end of the day. Met Neil McCann no bad guy really. Who knows when the next game will be but will always be a JAMBO.

Doctor FinnBarr
Have just returned from a busy 5 week "holiday" in Scotland only game I could get to was Falkirk so apologies for the result probably my fault. I was treated to the hospitality there had a great day pretty far gone by the end of the day. Met Neil McCann no bad guy really. Who knows when the next game will be but will always be a JAMBO.

G'day cobbler!

;)

No worries. Anytime your up for a game just come into Robbo's. The more the merrier and all that. Glad you seem to have enjoyed the day.

Was it you who got a mention at half time mate?

Sure it said 15 years though.

nah, wasnt me, but did hear that and thought, 'pah, that's nothing compared to me'!!! bloody people trying to steal my thunder!

Incidentally ukol, you werent wrong about the ICT game being not a great choice for my first after so long!! better atmospheres in my local boozer when the karaoke is on!! great day though all in all, great people, good result, and cant wait for hibs away!!;):107years:

Archived