Heart of Midlothian War Memorial

Jack Alexander

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, bit of a long post coming up.

It's obvious that there's a real problem here, and that it will take quite an effort to ensure that the Memorial - and the memory of the men whose sacrifice it honours - is not downgraded by Edinburgh City Council.

For that effort to succeed, I think we need three things:

• To be clear and realistic about what we want to achieve;

• To try to achieve it in the right way;

• To get as many people as possible to support our efforts to achieve it.

Before discussing each of those points, I want to make something clear. When I say we, I mean we - people who support Hearts, people who care about the Memorial and what it stands for, and people we know who might feel the same way. If we don't get involved and have our say, then we are leaving it to the likes of Edinburgh City Council and the current management of HMFC to decide the future of the Memorial. If we leave them to decide that, then be under no illusions - something will happen that we will regret.

What we want to achieve

It's important to be clear and realistic about what we want to achieve. For a start, it's obvious that the Memorial will be moved temporarily, so there's no point in making unreasonable demands about that. Similarly, it may turn out that for sound reasons the Memorial can't be reinstalled at its exact location, and if so we shouldn't be unreasonable about that. Also, we shouldn't be too scattergun in our thinking about what should happen to the Memorial. We shouldn't let ourselves be distracted by different ideas about where it will be placed, how it will be done and who will be responsible for doing it.

It seems to me that there are three linked objectives that most people would agree on. Firstly, we want the Memorial reinstalled as close to its original location as possible. Secondly, if it isn't possible to do that, we want it placed in Haymarket - because Haymarket is the right setting from an architectural and historic point of view. Thirdly, the location of a temporary stone at Atholl Crescent is unacceptable because it will cause almost inexorable pressure to locate the permanent Memorial there. For this reason, the best location for the temporary stone - and therefore the 2009 and 2010 services - is in Haymarket.

How to achieve it

First of all, we simply cannot rely on the Council or the management at HMFC to deliver the right result. As far as I can see, the Memorial is a very low priority for the Council. Even if it was a priority for them, they would be unwilling to admit it because they would see it was a "HMFC issue" and would not want to be seen to be favouring one club in the city over the other. I reckon the memorial is a very low priority for Vladimir Romanov and the management at Hearts - and they will be especially quick to abandon any pretence of concern if it costs them money or delays progress in developing Tynecastle. Also, it's not fair to expect the McCrae's Battalion Trust to carry this alone. The Trust doesn't have enough people on the committee to do this, as I'm sure Jack will confirm. And in any case the Trust already has much to do in its mission to educate and inform people about the sacrifice of the 16th Royal Scots, and to maintain and develop the memorial at Contalmaison.

So this is something that we'll have to work on ourselves. A starting point would be to get an action group together - and I'm sure the Trust would be a willing participant in this. The group should work on publicising the Council's plans to downgrade the Memorial and the memory of the men it honours, and letting people know why it is so important to preserve the Memorial in the right locations. The group should also lobby the Council to persuade it of the importance of the Memorial and what it stands for, and to convince the Council that proper commemoration of the sacrifices made in the Great War are still important even if they have faded out of living memory. The group should also make sure that the management at Hearts are in no doubt that the Memorial is important to our supporters. Last, but not least, the group should explore appropriate political, PR and legal avenues to ensure that the Memorial is reinstalled in the right location.

Getting public support

Ultimately, this is a political and PR battle, so public support is crucial to put pressure on the Council. There's no point in assuming that people will automatically support what we want to achieve. Some people (sadly) won't regard the Memorial as being important. Others will see it as important, but will go along with the inappropriate plans of the Council to relocate it to Atholl Crescent. And people who aren't Hearts supporters will regard this as a "Hearts issue", and therefore not relevant to them.

So the group needs to figure out ways to make people aware of why the Memorial is important as a commemoration of a crucial part of Edinburgh's history, why it is relevant whether or not you are a Hearts supporter, and why the Council's plans for relocation are inappropriate. Where politicians, officials or other public figures might be supportive, their support should be enlisted regardless of political or footballing colours. And in that regard, I don't think there's anything to be gained by us throwing out insults and invective about politicians and officials.

As I said already, it will take a lot of effort to stop the Memorial from being relocated in the wrong place - or worse, being mothballed. The above is an attempt to set out what might be involved and how we might go about it. But to re-iterate what I said earlier, we can't rely on others to solve this problem for us.

aye

we cannot rely on the cooncil or the club to sort this out we have to take the lead here - it is our heritage and the memorial to our fathers and grandfathers and great grandfathers and as much a part of the heritage of the city as any A listed new town building. I sometimes think that our erstwhile city leaders are obsessed with the Edinburgh experience as a visitor rather than the edinburgh fowk who make up the living breathing city, It is areas like Gorgie and Easter Road that arfe the heart of Edinburgh that are where the Edinburgh fowk now live since they were turfed out of the old town and priced out of the new.

This is part of our heritage folks and we need to ensure that this memorial is kept in haymarket and not rebuilt in the New Town which is not part of the heritage here.

let me know what to do - you have my support

Over the past few days I have become increasingly concerned about the plan for a two-year storage period. I know that the work in the junction is important. And I know that the clocktower will be an inconvenient presence during that work.

Perhaps we could investigate the possibility of a short-term 'move' - say to the end of Grosvenor Street - with concrete written assurances that if funding can be put in place to return the Memorial to beside Ryrie's (almost, as I said, it's original home - and in accordance with the Council's own 'suggestion') the work will be carried out.

The option of a temporary home at Atholl Crescent is no more than a 'wooden horse'. Accept that and we accept the eventual removal of the jewel in the Heart of Midlothian crown to the same sorry spot.

It cannot be allowed to happen.

yes agreed Jack.

Having lived in London for many years I recall several years ago a documentary where a local journalist had found a load of memorials from the Great War stacked up in a suburban cemetary "stored" by delevlopers and never rebuilt or re installed, now their origin is forgotten.

We cannot let this happen - the council need to be reminded that they are elected and if they do not wish tro cheese of off a significant number of their electorate then they will should listen too them!

Jack Alexander
The memorial in the original position.

Shown at the unveiling.

2143thy.jpg

The Ryrie's location (originally proposed by the Council) is quite close to the original spot. In many ways the Memorial would be returning 'home'. That's why I think we need to aim for this particular solution.

A certain prime minister may be interested in all of this as he is a raith rovers supporter and this memorial is not only to remember the hearts players but also the players from other clubs in scotland which include raith rovers and falkirk.

Jack Alexander
A certain prime minister may be interested in all of this as he is a raith rovers supporter and this memorial is not only to remember the hearts players but also the players from other clubs in scotland which include raith rovers and falkirk.

The clocktower commemorates the players, members and supporters of Heart of Midlothian F.C. who died in the Great War. (A secondary plaque, commemorating those who died in the 1939-1945 war, was added in the '50s.)

Without the formation of the 16th Royal Scots, however, it's doubtful if the memorial would have been built. The voluntary enlistment of the players and supporters in such numbers is what makes the club's wartime contribution so singular and (after the bloodbath of the Somme) so poignant.

Because of this, many supporters of the other clubs associated with McCrae's were drawn to the Hearts Memorial on Armistice Sunday. And other clubs with no connection to McCrae's attended the annual ceremony out of respect for Hearts' selfless example.

I think it's fair to say that by the end of the '20s the Memorial had come to symbolise something greater than the sacrifice of just one football team. The clocktower is unique in the world of sporting endeavour. It now stands as a proud reminder of the sacrifice of a generation of young British sportsmen.

That Heart of Midlothian F.C. (of all such institutions) should be the flame that lit this abiding beacon of Remembrance is just one compelling reason why the clocktower must stay in its traditional surroundings.

And for those who doubt the 'right' of other clubs to participate in the ceremony, consider this. Two former Hibernian players were killed with McCrae's on 1 July 1916.

Both of them (in modern parlance) were 'Jambos'.

The clocktower commemorates the players, members and supporters of Heart of Midlothian F.C. who died in the Great War. (A secondary plaque, commemorating those who died in the 1939-1945 war, was added in the '50s.)

Without the formation of the 16th Royal Scots, however, it's doubtful if the memorial would have been built. The voluntary enlistment of the players and supporters in such numbers is what makes the club's wartime contribution so singular and (after the bloodbath of the Somme) so poignant.

Because of this, many supporters of the other clubs associated with McCrae's were drawn to the Hearts Memorial on Armistice Sunday. And other clubs with no connection to McCrae's attended the annual ceremony out of respect for Hearts' selfless example.

I think it's fair to say that by the end of the '20s the Memorial had come to symbolise something greater than the sacrifice of just one football team. The clocktower is unique in the world of sporting endeavour. It now stands as a proud reminder of the sacrifice of a generation of young British sportsmen.

That Heart of Midlothian F.C. (of all such institutions) should be the flame that lit this abiding beacon of Remembrance is just one compelling reason why the clocktower must stay in its traditional surroundings.

And for those who doubt the 'right' of other clubs to participate in the ceremony, consider this. Two former Hibernian players were killed with McCrae's on 1 July 1916.

Both of them (in modern parlance) were 'Jambos'.

Jack, could you provide a link to the history of the memorial (i am sure you have done this before on one of the old kb boards).?

Son Of Anarchy
What a disgrace that anyone would use this thread to highlight their own political beliefs in such a childish way!!!

Mr. Salmond is a Hearts fan and I am sure he would be more than willing to help.

Ive emailed him at various locations but as of yet,no reply,other than from his constituincy to say contact parliament.

Francis Albert
[

Time for all Hearts fans to really start attending this event in very large numbers and 'jacking up' the pressure on the Council to not only retain what we want but improve on what they have been 'allowing' recently

Although I understand the feeling here, and it is good that it is better attended than it was for a while, I think we need to be a little careful. One of the spurious difficulties the Council has identified in finding a "suitable location" is that of "safely" accomodating large numbers for the service. (It seems the council, alone, recalls the remembrance service disasters that have occurred at Haymarket and other places - or are they really worried they might have to stop the precious trams for an hour on a Sunday morning once a year?).

The numbers attending the annual service seem to me to be quite irrelevant to the issue. I have never attended, having an aversion to militaristic and religious ceremonies. I also can't stomach the stuff about them dying gloriously fighting for our freedom (at least not in the Great War). But that they died in a futile , avoidable conflict about protecting the interests of old Empires is for me a good reason for honouring and remembering them. Whenever I am in Edinburgh I pass the memorial usually more than once and each time have my own brief remembrance. And everyone can do the same whatever their views. I also point it out to anyone who is with me, however often I have told them before.

Surely that is exactly the point of its present prominent position. I don't drive or walk past Haymarket to see the memorial - I see it because its location means it is difficult not to and that triggers the remembrance thoughts. Isn't that the whole point of the memorial, which would be lost in Atholl Crescent.

Although I understand the feeling here, and it is good that it is better attended than it was for a while, I think we need to be a little careful. One of the spurious difficulties the Council has identified in finding a "suitable location" is that of "safely" accomodating large numbers for the service. (It seems the council, alone, recalls the remembrance service disasters that have occurred at Haymarket and other places - or are they really worried they might have to stop the precious trams for an hour on a Sunday morning once a year?).

The numbers attending the annual service seem to me to be quite irrelevant to the issue. I have never attended, having an aversion to militaristic and religious ceremonies. I also can't stomach the stuff about them dying gloriously fighting for our freedom (at least not in the Great War). But that they died in a futile , avoidable conflict about protecting the interests of old Empires is for me a good reason for honouring and remembering them. Whenever I am in Edinburgh I pass the memorial usually more than once and each time have my own brief remembrance. And everyone can do the same whatever their views. I also point it out to anyone who is with me, however often I have told them before.

Surely that is exactly the point of its present prominent position. I don't drive or walk past Haymarket to see the memorial - I see it because its location means it is difficult not to and that triggers the remembrance thoughts. Isn't that the whole point of the memorial, which would be lost in Atholl Crescent.

As you have said FA, the Memorial is in that position because it is almost unavoidable, and it therefore continues ( I hope ) to remind people of what was sacrificed by others in the hope of safeguarding later generations.

It's 'usefulness' as I think it was termed by the Council ?? may be in question ......but that can only be judged when the 'body bags' cease to be unloaded at RAF Brize Norton

scott herbertson

Excellent post FA. I can't see how anyone could disagree with a word of that

Jack Alexander

Wise thoughts, F.A., and very well put.

Remembrance means different things to different folk. I, too, have difficulty with the concept of 'Our Glorious Dead'. I have to remind myself that the Great War generation was more religious than we are, and (importantly) that they were faced with a terrible dilemma - how to rationalise and/or justify a conflict that cost the lives of a million young men from Great Britain and the Commonwealth. The 'glory' (or selfless service) of the lives (and deaths) of these men is the only thing that sustained many families in their grief. It's hard for us to comprehend today.

The very prominence of the Haymarket Memorial makes it a powerful reminder of that terrible sacrifice. That's why they put it there.

Apologies for being stupid.....

But how does one go about making other forums aware of this; I have signed the petition but is it a simple case of copying the link into a post on another forum?

I also have to apologise for not being fully aware of what the 'clock' at Haymarket meant until several years into my support of Heart of Midlothian; after my young and naive days!

Having read the book, which was made aware of on here(!), I want to do as much as I can to help.

portobellojambo1
Jack, could you provide a link to the history of the memorial (i am sure you have done this before on one of the old kb boards).?

Hopefully this link below will help Gambo -

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsHistory/0,,10289~1045309,00.html

While this may only give it from a HMFC perspective to me that is what it is, a memorial to the players, members and supporters of The Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

Jack Alexander

Thank you for posting that, Dave. A little too much emphasis on McCrae's, I think, but Ewan has dug away and done exceptionally well to get the subject aired. Overall a very fair statement of how matters stand. Hopefully this will be the first of many such pieces.

I've been attempting to contact you, by the way. Could you send me a pm with your email address?

Thank you for posting that, Dave. A little too much emphasis on McCrae's, I think, but Ewan has dug away and done exceptionally well to get the subject aired. Overall a very fair statement of how matters stand. Hopefully this will be the first of many such pieces.

I've been attempting to contact you, by the way. Could you send me a pm with your email address?

Does Ewan work for The Scotsman? I thought it was the Guardian or Observer, or is he just freelance?

Good piece anyway.

its a shame he got it wrong at the end of the article.

Hearts football club, which is at a sensitive stage of negotiations with the council over the ?51m redevelopment of Tynecastle Stadium, has not made its position clear in the row. Officials will meet members of the Save Our Hearts campaign tomorrow.

Does Ewan work for The Scotsman? I thought it was the Guardian or Observer, or is he just freelance?

Good piece anyway.

The Guardian comes first, but he can then work freelance.

he often turns up in the Scotsman, possibly their only journalist.

But the Guardian gets the stories first.

its a shame he got it wrong at the end of the article.

Hearts football club, which is at a sensitive stage of negotiations with the council over the ?51m redevelopment of Tynecastle Stadium, has not made its position clear in the row. Officials will meet members of the Save Our Hearts campaign tomorrow.

Ewan didn't get it wrong but some sub-editor at SoS did - you just can't get the staff these days!! I believe it's the Friends of The Heart of Midlothian War Memorial that are meeting with the club.

I would like to offer my support for a comendable cause.

One thing the cooncil is afraid of is negative publicity,there is currently a TV program which highlights disputes with planners,this case would a dream for them.

Son Of Anarchy

Well, i got a response from Mr Salmond today, from his personal secretary. Nice to get a letter after sending him mere emails. Anyway,all it said was Mr Salmond has been made aware of the fight to retain the memorial as close to its original spot as possible and shall be getting in touch shortly.No idea what to expect,but fingers crossed.With his backing,it can only help the cause.:)

scott herbertson
Well, i got a response from Mr Salmond today, from his personal secretary. Nice to get a letter after sending him mere emails. Anyway,all it said was Mr Salmond has been made aware of the fight to retain the memorial as close to its original spot as possible and shall be getting in touch shortly.No idea what to expect,but fingers crossed.With his backing,it can only help the cause.:)

Well done Gordy

Everything like this adds a little to the pressure

Jack Alexander

After several very very late nights, our website has been launched

The Friends of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial

http://www.heartofmidlothianwarmemorial.com

The statement on the main page expresses our objective very simply. We intend to pursue the Council's own proposal from last year - maintaining the Memorial's "iconic" (the Council's own word) presence at Haymarket by placing it in front of Ryrie's Bar.

Please tell your friends (and anyone else you think might be interested) about it

Last night's piece on Reporting Scotland was good publicity for the cause - not least when a councillor (on camera) described the Atholl Crescent permanent site as no more than a "rumour" with no factual basis.

The gentleman clearly hadn't been properly briefed by his officials. The Council commissioned an Edinburgh architectural practice earlier this year to produce a document (at public expense) proposing that very thing.

We have copies.

Note from the report that Councillors Ricky Henderson and Ian Murray are to put a motion to the next Council meeting on this issue. Both are good Jambos, in fact Ricky sits next to me in the Wheatfield Stand

Son Of Anarchy

These bassas really rile me:( As usual,all we get are lies. Well this fight will be one they will wish they never started:mad:

I actually received a letter today from Alex Salmond.Ok not quite as it was from one of his meanials. All it basically said was,as this is a council matter and the SNP were against the trams from the start,they wont be getting involved,but drew my attention to the fact that the council have said haymarket is the prefered site??? MY ERSE!!!! COUNCIL=LIES. Let the battle commence.Im off to contalmaison on thursday and cant wait,off to a place where the memorials are respected unlike here.

Update: http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Two-years-to-decide-future.4555782.jp

Don't you just wish they would make their minds up!

I posted the message below on another thread last night:

My concern is about the political and bureaucratic games that get played in situations like this. The word "nonsense" was used to describe the notion that the Council would even consider relocating the memorial. But the papers exist to show that the Council was considering exactly that. So the idea of moving the memorial to an inappropriate place isn't dead, and there may yet be some twists and turns in this story.

It seems to me that Mr. Wheeler (Ward 6, Corstorphine/Murrayfield) has just given the story its first twist.

Let's not make the mistake of thinking we've won this. These people are clever and well-resourced, and we cannot afford to relax.

Jack Alexander
I posted the message below on another thread last night:

It seems to me that Mr. Wheeler (Ward 6, Corstorphine/Murrayfield) has just given the story its first twist.

Let's not make the mistake of thinking we've won this. These people are clever and well-resourced, and we cannot afford to relax.

This story already has more twists than Chubby Checker, Ulysses. I made exactly the same point to our guys last night.

Thank you again for your support.

Just been on Reporting Scotland that they're to keep the memorial in it's current place, so assuming that's the case, well done to all those who campaigned for this!

• 2 weeks later...
WorldChampions1902

Just read that Edinburgh Taxpayers will foot a ?10,000 bill for some consultants report into the plan to move the memorial to Atholl Terrace.

As Jack Alexander said all along, this was a very real intent on the part of the council - otherwise how else do they justify this blatant squandering of ?10k ?? Shameful!

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/latestnews/10k-bill-to-keep-Hearts.4606203.jp

Just out of interest re what I accept is probably a sensitive subject (I don't know Edinburgh all that well, so please excuse my ignorance), but given that it is a Hearts war memorial would this not be an opportunity to move it to Tynecastle stadium? I'd have thought it would add a real presence outside the ground. Or is the club's long-term future at Tynecastle still a matter of some debate (in which case it the memorial would obviously be better elsewhere)?

Jack Alexander
Just out of interest re what I accept is probably a sensitive subject (I don't know Edinburgh all that well, so please excuse my ignorance), but given that it is a Hearts war memorial would this not be an opportunity to move it to Tynecastle stadium? I'd have thought it would add a real presence outside the ground. Or is the club's long-term future at Tynecastle still a matter of some debate (in which case it the memorial would obviously be better elsewhere)?

It is staying at Haymarket! Thanks to everyone who has supported the campaign. The Atholl Crescent 'threat' was much more substantial than some folk realised, so we've landed a stunning blow.

We move on now to another phase of the battle ... namely to ensure that the memorial returns to the junction in time for the 2009 service of Remembrance. We do not consider it necessary to place such an important structure in storage for two entire years.

We hope to open discussions with interested parties within the next few weeks - with a view to resurrecting TIE's own Ryrie's proposal.

I'll keep you posted.

It is staying at Haymarket! Thanks to everyone who has supported the campaign. The Atholl Crescent 'threat' was much more substantial than some folk realised, so we've landed a stunning blow.

We move on now to another phase of the battle ... namely to ensure that the memorial returns to the junction in time for the 2009 service of Remembrance. We do not consider it necessary to place such an important structure in storage for two entire years.

We hope to open discussions with interested parties within the next few weeks - with a view to resurrecting TIE's own Ryrie's proposal.

I'll keep you posted.

we must make sure nothing gets damaged or goes missing

Archived