Extreme Reactions...

Martin_T

that is it in a bombshell. We are acting like we are rangers and celtic when in reality we are no where near them. Face it we will have bad games, yes it is not great to watch but I honestly think we are improving and sad as it is the long term to me is what is looking good so we will slip up. We still have the squad from last season. The direction we have under Csaba will make us better but it will take at least a season before we can say we are much better from last season.

Sometimes I wonder was it the worst thing for Romanov to have finished 2nd and won the cup in 05/06 season as it set unhealthy targets. We saw him as a sugardaddy and the problem is that we still see vlad as that where in reality doing so would of put debt through the roof (as shown by the first two seasons) vlad is trying to make us more stable finacially and so we are going to have to accept we wont win every game. As long as we are moving on long term (which I think we are) then one game is irrelevent in it all.

Exactly. Expectations aren't just unrealistic, they're also completely contradictory. The same people who are whining about Vladimir getting us into debt are those who also moan about us offloading high earning players, or not buying new ones....for being too loose with cash and then for not spending enough. Or moaning about using the youth players more but don't give enough time for them to develop and be introduced into the new set-up created by Csaba....or booing the players and then wondering why they seem to lack confidence...or moaning about damn 'Liths' and then failing to recognise how much they contribute to what we do achieve....or demanding a new manager and then instantly deciding that he's no good/a puppet when he's delivering us far better results than we got from the same players last year....I could go on, but we've all heard it a million times before on this board.

Yes, we had a great time a few years ago...a better time than we'd had for years in terms of league results....and it was amazing. We had a ball. But doing that costs money that as a club, we just can't find or sustain over a long period of time. We can't afford to just go out there and buy the very best and even if we could, few would come to us. We are in a league which has two very dominant clubs and as a result, we have to operate within strict parameters in order to even TRY to compete. It's a careful balancing act and one which they're trying to get right, we can see that steps are being taken in the right direction and for now, that's enough for me.

And it doesn't mean I love the club any less, or have fewer aspirations for it just because I'm okay with us not challenging the OF this year either. I don't want to make a 'quick buck' or have once in a decade periods of success, I want to see long term stability, a sustainable business side to the club and where possible...occasional bits of glory to keep me going along the way. If any club in the SPL can get there, it's Hearts...and I'm willing to sit it out if it means increasing our chances of being a real third force.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow
Exactly. Expectations aren't just unrealistic, they're also completely contradictory. The same people who are whining about Vladimir getting us into debt are those who also moan about us offloading high earning players, or not buying new ones....for being too loose with cash and then for not spending enough. Or moaning about using the youth players more but don't give enough time for them to develop and be introduced into the new set-up created by Csaba....or booing the players and then wondering why they seem to lack confidence...or moaning about damn 'Liths' and then failing to recognise how much they contribute to what we do achieve....or demanding a new manager and then instantly deciding that he's no good/a puppet when he's delivering us far better results than we got from the same players last year....I could go on, but we've all heard it a million times before on this board.

Yes, we had a great time a few years ago...a better time than we'd had for years in terms of league results....and it was amazing. We had a ball. But doing that costs money that as a club, we just can't find or sustain over a long period of time. We can't afford to just go out there and buy the very best and even if we could, few would come to us. We are in a league which has two very dominant clubs and as a result, we have to operate within strict parameters in order to even TRY to compete. It's a careful balancing act and one which they're trying to get right, we can see that steps are being taken in the right direction and for now, that's enough for me.

And it doesn't mean I love the club any less, or have fewer aspirations for it just because I'm okay with us not challenging the OF this year either. I don't want to make a 'quick buck' or have once in a decade periods of success, I want to see long term stability, a sustainable business side to the club and where possible...occasional bits of glory to keep me going along the way. If any club in the SPL can get there, it's Hearts...and I'm willing to sit it out if it means increasing our chances of being a real third force.

I agree to that as well red, something else that is banded about on here is this ?12 million yearly wage we spend on players (though I think its much smaller now.) People treat that as meaning we are getting ?12 million worth of quality but in our top wage earners I dont think Beslija is worth his wage, Kingston is overpayed in my opinon at the momment and so on.

Miko is God

I will never dispute this fact.

Back on topic, though. I'm personally raging about the result today. Not with Vlad or Csaba or anybody else, but because the team that I support lost a game which they shouldn't have. You can rifle the stock phrases around all day - "VALD OUT", "***** is not fit for purpose!". None of them fit. It doesn't mean that Vlad picked the team or that Csaba's a poor manager.

It means that our tactics weren't right, or that somebody that could've turned the game wasn't having a good day, or....... The list is endless. That's football. We've all seen that (when they're in the mood) the squad that we have can take a game to any SPL opposition - today they didn't, and that slavering moon faced hobo-licking illiterate ********* got his first win of the season.

siegementality

I think you've managed to omit the part Vladimir Romanov with his interference in signing players, team affairs, tactics, substitutions, his managerial appointments/sackings, etc, has had to play in the "whining".

I would suggest that the man who has caused the longest period of instability in Hearts history, is perhaps not the person to lead us to the long term stability you desire.

I agree to that as well red, something else that is banded about on here is this ?12 million yearly wage we spend on players (though I think its much smaller now.) People treat that as meaning we are getting ?12 million worth of quality but in our top wage earners I dont think Beslija is worth his wage, Kingston is overpayed in my opinon at the momment and so on.

There are certainly many players in that squad who are overpaid and I don't think we are getting much quality from many of them. TBH I don't think that the amount of money spent really is an indicator of how well a club should do - too many other factors have influence i.e look at the likes of Newcastle who will spend money but have won nothing.

I do think though that we should stop looking at the players coming from Kaunas and Ripo as some sort of bargin player, we still have to pay them wages and we appear to be paying "registration fees" or something for them. The point is we are paying for some players that are not good enough for the team and we need to view them like other players not as "they're ok because they are cheap" because how cheap are they really? We could and should be looking at players from other clubs which need not cost the earth, look at Levein at UTD, he's got some good players in and they have cost virtually nothing - it seems we have money for the kaunas players but not for anyone else.

siegementality
There are certainly many players in that squad who are overpaid and I don't think we are getting much quality from many of them. TBH I don't think that the amount of money spent really is an indicator of how well a club should do - too many other factors have influence i.e look at the likes of Newcastle who will spend money but have won nothing.

I do think though that we should stop looking at the players coming from Kaunas and Ripo as some sort of bargin player, we still have to pay them wages and we appear to be paying "registration fees" or something for them. The point is we are paying for some players that are not good enough for the team and we need to view them like other players not as "they're ok because they are cheap" because how cheap are they really? We could and should be looking at players from other clubs which need not cost the earth, look at Levein at UTD, he's got some good players in and they have cost virtually nothing - it seems we have money for the kaunas players but not for anyone else.

Have Hearts, under Romanov, signed a player from a Scottish club where a transfer fee has been paid?

I think you've managed to omit the part Vladimir Romanov with his interference in signing players, team affairs, tactics, substitutions, his managerial appointments/sackings, etc, has had to play in the "whining".

I would suggest that the man who has caused the longest period of instability in Hearts history, is perhaps not the person to lead us to the long term stability you desire.

I didn't mention any of that because I generally don't have a problem with people whining about that stuff. I did my fair share at the time too. But that's in the past, we've been told things are different now and rather than insist they're all lying to me, I'd rather give them a chance and see how it goes. Thus far, it seems to be going okay. Baby steps, that's progress....

And I'm not entirely sure that your claim that he caused the longest period of instability is necessarily true. I guess it all comes down to what you think instability is but I'm quite sure they didn't think things were all that stable when we were relegated to the 1st division, or when we were generally pants for periods of years at a time, or when the Pieman signed up with Cala, or when the team were dispatched pretty much en masse to fight wars...or a ton of other things which have happened to the club in the last 134 years.

Last season wasn't great and either was the one before...but in the grand scheme of things, it's not really the end of the world. If lessons are learned from the mistakes that were made and we make progress in the right direction, it'll be relegated to the history books along with everything else but it'll be a damn sight less significant than many other things which have happened to Heart of Midlothian.

Libertonian_II

And the alternative is.....................?

siegementality
I didn't mention any of that because I generally don't have a problem with people whining about that stuff. I did my fair share at the time too. But that's in the past, we've been told things are different now and rather than insist they're all lying to me, I'd rather give them a chance and see how it goes. Thus far, it seems to be going okay. Baby steps, that's progress....

And I'm not entirely sure that your claim that he caused the longest period of instability is necessarily true. I guess it all comes down to what you think instability is but I'm quite sure they didn't think things were all that stable when we were relegated to the 1st division, or when we were generally pants for periods of years at a time, or when the Pieman signed up with Cala, or when the team were dispatched pretty much en masse to fight wars...or a ton of other things which have happened to the club in the last 134 years.

Last season wasn't great and either was the one before...but in the grand scheme of things, it's not really the end of the world. If lessons are learned from the mistakes that were made and we make progress in the right direction, it'll be relegated to the history books along with everything else but it'll be a damn sight less significant than many other things which have happened to Heart of Midlothian.

I meant managerial instability.

I still don't trust Romanov and I'm not sure he can take us where we'd like to go. He's made too many totally off the wall decisions in the past to provide me with the slightest bit of confidence that he knows what he is doing.

I live in hope that someone will buy him out.

siegementality
And the alternative is.....................?

The fact that at this moment in time there is no alternative makes everything he does alright does it? What do you want me to say?

I'd much rather there was an alternative, there isn't, so for the moment I'll have to suffer, but I won't suffer in silence. I really have no trust in Romanov, he brought that about himself, he made the decisions which has caused so much mis-trust in him.

Libertonian_II
The fact that at this moment in time there is no alternative makes everything he does alright does it? What do you want me to say?

I'd much rather there was an alternative, there isn't, so for the moment I'll have to suffer, but I won't suffer in silence. I really have no trust in Romanov, he brought that about himself, he made the decisions which has caused so much mis-trust in him.

It doesn't. But at the same time, would you rather Romanov hadn't taken over?

siegementality
It doesn't. But at the same time, would you rather Romanov hadn't taken over?

Can I just say that I wish that Romanov wasn't so much of an erse?

Why is it when we lose....

• We're mediocre SPL rubbish
  • Our players are rubbish
  • Vlad picked the team
  • Csaba is rubbish
  • Miko is rubbish
  • We'll struggle to make top 6

Yet....

When we win...

•  
  • We can push the Old Firm this season
  • We have the best squad outwith the Old Firm
  • Csaba picked the team and was tactically astute
  • Miko is God
  • We'll finish 3rd at worst

What I'm getting at here, is surely no other fanbase reacts in such an extreme way depending on whether we win or lose as the current Hearts fanbase does? I think the most honest assessment of today (Falkirk supporting mate and BBC match report), and I'm going by independent sources as I wasn't at the game, was that Hearts performed ok but ultimately lost at a tough away venue where we rarely take anything anyway?

Because when it comes to the crunch, the majority of football fans are thick and Hearts fans are up there with the best of them.

Have Hearts, under Romanov, signed a player from a Scottish club where a transfer fee has been paid?

Yes. Are you asking a serious question or are you trying to point score?

I completley disagree. I don't think many fans believe we will be anywhere near what we were in 05/06 and I certainly don't think that anyone is "acting like Rangers and Celtic".

What we don't like is the complete lack of investment in the club. Frankly Vlad has done almost the least amount he can do by bringing in Csaba and has taken us from a fairly stable if unspectacular team to one filled with inexperienced players some of whom appear only to be their for the cold hard cash. We have no new players when it is clear we need so many, the majority of players we get now come via the pyramid system which is not yeilding players of the standard we need.

This is not about having the odd bad game, for me at least, it's about total lack of improvement in the side and the almost equal lack of interest Vlad shows in improving it.

What an absolute load of ****e.

siegementality
Yes. Are you asking a serious question or are you trying to point score?

Serious question, remind me who was it?

Serious question, remind me who was it?

Templeton without even thinking about it.

It's about time Hearts fans started debating the performances rather than the circumstances.

Chip I have to say that's got to be one of the lamest examples of something I have ever heard !! ;)

TBH, I regularly fail to see what Vlad has done that's been so apocalyptically disastrous that there is no way to turn some folks opinions back into his favour.

Agreed, he talks a whole lot of pesh, and some of his managerial appointments have been dubious to say the least, but most of the flak he takes is based on stubborn, blinkered opinion, rumour and Banderson articles. Detractors generally seem to only see the bad with none of the good - then spout pesh based on the spurious aforementioned sources at every given opportunity.

Our list of former players is hardly a who's who of footballing luminaries, and we've had some terrible, terrible seasons in the past. We've had decent owners and sleekit ones. We've always had an uncanny knack for losing games against "diddy teams". Good seasons have generally been the exception rather than the rule, and the debacle that was last season appears (for now) to have been addressed.

So tell me, other than a support base made unduly hostile by (IMO) a load of sensationalist manure spewed forth from the mouths of various idiots - what has actually changed?

Geoff Kilpatrick

David Templeton

What a well thought out, reasoned reply, well done.

JamboRossi is infamous for not only having Hearts tinted specs but a maroon and white iris. Don't say anything which could be perceived to be in anyway questioning or critical about HMFC in his presence. You have been warned.

Chip I have to say that's got to be one of the lamest examples of something I have ever heard !! ;)

He asked a question, I gave him a complete response. What's lame about quoting a young Scottish talent who's now on Hearts books?

You should think about supporting someone else.

I'm not even entering into the thread debate because I couldn't give a ****** where our players come from.

JamboRossi is infamous for not only having Hearts tinted specs but a maroon and white iris. Don't say anything which could be perceived to be in anyway questioning or critical about HMFC in his presence. You have been warned.

I like to think when folk talk utter ****e I should tell them.

David Templeton

Again, one of the lamest factual examples of something I have ever heard. I'm laughing at the fact it's true but I'm actually crying inside ;)

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
What an absolute load of ****e.

That really is just an appalling response to somebody who was merely expressing an opinion, whose post was rational, sensible and polite.

Again, one of the lamest factual examples of something I have ever heard. I'm laughing at the fact it's true but I'm actually crying inside ;)

You really are an odious little pwick.

He asked a question, I gave him a complete response. What's lame about quoting a young Scottish talent who's now on Hearts books?

You should think about supporting someone else.

I'm not even entering into the thread debate because I couldn't give a ****** where our players come from.

Chill pill. It's absolutely nothing personal against Templeton, from what I have heard he is indeed a good prospect however is it not absurd that our owner is so paranoid and ill informed that he appears unprepared to look at other young talent (for example Arfield today who outshone everyone in midfield other than Stewart) playing for other smaller SPL (or SFL) clubs ??

That really is just an appalling response to somebody who was merely expressing an opinion, whose post was rational, sensible and polite.

I was keeping in theme with the thread title. Thanks for your concern though.

You really are an odious little pwick.

Now now, I think you are overreacting when I was merely making a point about our transfer policy. I forgive you though.

Chill pill. It's absolutely nothing personal against Templeton, from what I have heard he is indeed a good prospect however is it not absurd that our owner is so paranoid and ill informed that he appears unprepared to look at other young talent (for example Arfield today who outshone everyone in midfield other than Stewart) playing for other smaller SPL (or SFL) clubs ??

The day you pop up and discuss Hearts in a positive light......ever, is the day I'll think about engaging you in a rational debate about our club.

Now now, I think you are overreacting when I was merely making a point about our transfer policy. I forgive you though.

Check the thread title. Seriously though, I'm not far off.

siegementality
TBH, I regularly fail to see what Vlad has done that's been so apocalyptically disastrous that there is no way to turn some folks opinions back into his favour.

Agreed, he talks a whole lot of pesh, and some of his managerial appointments have been dubious to say the least, but most of the flak he takes is based on stubborn, blinkered opinion, rumour and Banderson articles. Detractors generally seem to only see the bad with none of the good - then spout pesh based on the spurious aforementioned sources at every given opportunity.

Our list of former players is hardly a who's who of footballing luminaries, and we've had some terrible, terrible seasons in the past. We've had decent owners and sleekit ones. We've always had an uncanny knack for losing games against "diddy teams". Good seasons have generally been the exception rather than the rule, and the debacle that was last season appears (for now) to have been addressed.

So tell me, other than a support base made unduly hostile by (IMO) a load of sensationalist manure spewed forth from the mouths of various idiots - what has actually changed?

The number one reason I do not trust Romanov is that he has split the Hearts support, which have generally stood together through thick and thin, to such a degree that we had to listen to Hatkicker/Vladsheep pesh, Hearts supporters abusing eachother (when there are perfectly good Hobos to abuse!), etc, etc. No other one person or thing has managed to create such a divide in the support in the history of this footabll club. Anyone who would allow/manufacture that situation is not to be trusted.

Sorry, that's "lame", it doesn't count. We didn't pay 1 mill for Kirk Broadfoot.

Not sure where you got that figure from as Broadfoot was a pre contract signing however we did pay approx 800K for Beslija, approx 500K for Makela and are currently paying Kingston somewhere in the region of 16-18K a week. I reckon Rangers are getting more value for money than us !

The number one reason I do not trust Romanov is that he has split the Hearts support, which have generally stood together through thick and thin, to such a degree that we had to listen to Hatkicker/Vladsheep pesh, Hearts supporters abusing eachother (when there are perfectly good Hobos to abuse!), etc, etc. No other one person or thing has managed to create such a divide in the support in the history of this footabll club. Anyone who who allow/manufacture that situation is not to be trusted.

Getting pumped 6-2 brought us together right enough. As did dividing the OF and winning the Scottish Cup after the Burley glory days.

Hearts fans have always been divided, some fans are always on the lookout for reasons/excuses.

Jees, I even recall watching a tele programme about a guy pre-98 cup final who said he'd stop going if we won the Cup.

Not sure where you got that figure from as Broadfoot was a pre contract signing however we did pay approx 800K for Beslija, approx 500K for Makela and are currently paying Kingston somewhere in the region of 16-18K a week. I reckon Rangers are getting more value for money than us !

Rrreeeeeeallly?!

I think my point just flew right over your head.

The day you pop up and discuss Hearts in a positive light......ever, is the day I'll think about engaging you in a rational debate about our club.

See I think you need to relax and actually read more threads than just a couple where you can get all aggressive and defensive. Maybe check out the thread 'Thoughts from today' where as usual I look at the positives and the negatives as I see them. I love Hearts but am not so blind I can't see there is a hell of a lot wrong with them.

Every football team have a fickle bunch of fans. Jambos, Hibbys, Huns, Tims.

Hearts don't have a monopoly on fickle fans, we all have them, believe me.

The number one reason I do not trust Romanov is that he has split the Hearts support, which have generally stood together through thick and thin, to such a degree that we had to listen to Hatkicker/Vladsheep pesh, Hearts supporters abusing eachother (when there are perfectly good Hobos to abuse!), etc, etc. No other one person or thing has managed to create such a divide in the support in the history of this footabll club. Anyone who would allow/manufacture that situation is not to be trusted.

I fully agree with you there - there's actually something quite sad about seeing such a good bunch of supporters tearing lumps out of each other.

But I'm not sure that it's Romanov himself that's to blame for this. There are plenty of clubs where the fans think that the owner's a complete tube but can lay their differences aside as a support.

At the end of last season, I was as raging with Vlad as anybody, but from an obective point of view (as objective a view point as a jambo can have, anyway) there has been an inordinate amount of cajoling and provocation from various sources that not many other clubs seem to recieve. We went through last season with the whole country seemingly willing us to fail miserably - and we did.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I disagree. Our support was factionalised, for different reasons, before Vlad came in. If anything, he UNITED the support post Robinson. I would agree that there are divisions in the support again but that has been as a result of incompetent decision making at every level.

Which is why all I'm asking for this season is a season of stability with Csaba given time to do his job. When people immediately write him off as a puppet, those divisions will not heal.

siegementality

It's about time Hearts fans started debating the performances rather than the circumstances.

Templeton and Husband, fair enough. Two youngsters from lower league clubs.

The point Jambomo made was a valid one though that given all the talent that is available in the SPL we have not, to my knowledge, made a single bid for any SPL player. I remember VR made a statement about sewing his pockets up (I think he was referring to agents fees) and he certainly doesn't seem keen to spend any money buying from Scottish clubs. People say we shouldn't discount players from the pyramid but it seems we do discount buying players from other SPL clubs.

the 'they were spoilt and now they're angry' point of view is just gibberish. Pure and utter drivel.

How so? We were after all, rather punch drunk after what was our best season since 97/98. Also the massive rush gained after going from a club heading towards oblivion to one that won the cup and split the old firm was somewhat akin to abstaining from alcohol for six months and then having 10 pints in one three hour session. Giddiness did cloud our collective view. As it did back in 1998. Anyway, back to my original question. How so?

Every football team have a fickle bunch of fans. Jambos, Hibbys, Huns, Tims.

Hearts don't have a monopoly on fickle fans, we all have them, believe me.

Word. I think Siege's point was a little different, mind. It's more that our fans are split into and identified within groups of supporters divided over - in some cases obsessively - one key factor within the club. Most fans tend to have a few things about their club that they personally disagree with. Instead, we seem to have "sides". It sucks.

Archived