United going down

IMA MAROON

Utd's next home game is against HMFC though so no doubt we will give them the perfect pick me up.

Nah I dont think so but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Odd I seem to remember them being well ahead of other teams in the race for a European spot until an inexplicable end of season collapse.

Mid season collapse.

Utd's next home game is against HMFC though so no doubt we will give them the perfect pick me up.

Mr Happy, I'm sure by the time we round to playing United our team will be a lot stronger.

Mid season collapse.

Mr Happy, I'm sure by the time we round to playing United our team will be a lot stronger.

To be fair they wuz robbed.

United should have won today -- they are conceding too many goals at present which is unlike a Levein team -- get that right and they will move up the table.

Sometimes the rub of the green is required to win also -- as we have seen with us today at times you get nothing when you should from your play get at least 1 if not 3 points.

In a fortnight ! Are we bringing in some loan players ?! ;)

Odd I seem to remember them being well ahead of other teams in the race for a European spot until an inexplicable end of season collapse.

Sale of Barry Robson.

He carried that Levein side in the early part of last season.

Levein is following a similar path as he did at Leicester.

Let's hope they beat Aberdeen next week then because if not then the perfect opponents for a first victory are as you say next and we all know what our record is like at that time

Gretna

Falkirk

.......... ?

and other too numerous to mention.

In a fortnight ! Are we bringing in some loan players ?! ;)

Ok it is not long off and it is maybe more in hope but Nade might actually be match fit for the first time ever and we can all see he has the talent. Driver could be back and he is becoming a big player for us, we might see Tullborg at long last, Mroweic will have a nother game under his belt and might well be up to pace with the game here. Kingston might get his finger out, Stewart be made captain and maybe Ruben will get to play at left back so as Wallace can take a break.

It is one step at a time, we have to be patient.

Sale of Barry Robson.

He carried that Levein side in the early part of last season.

Levein is following a similar path as he did at Leicester.

2 wins in 21 games for CL. I can't understand it.

winston churchill
2 wins in 21 games for CL. I can't understand it.

there are one or two on here .............who will be along to defend him shortly............. after they remove their tongue from his chocolate star.

They're missing Robson and Hunt. Add to that Flood's form seems to have gone downhill lately. I was one of those that had them to finish 3rd in the close-season "who will finish where" thread. It's looking very unlikely now even at this early stage.

United aren't going down. St Mirren are. CL will turn it around and they'll finish in the top 6.

United aren't going down. St Mirren are. CL will turn it around and they'll finish in the top 6.

I reckon they'll finish above us.

Who'll get 3rd then?

I still favour Aberdeen - er, today's result notwithstanding!

Incidentally, Dundee United last finished 3rd in 1996/7. After six matches of that season, they were bottom, with just one point. Cue an astonishing turnaround. All is still to play for, and every one of those clubs expected preseason to be in the shake-up for Europe still have every chance.

winston churchill
They've not won at home yet this season. Utd to beat them up there next week ;)

who cares

they are both just northern monkeys

I still favour Aberdeen - er, today's result notwithstanding!

Incidentally, Dundee United last finished 3rd in 1996/7. After six matches of that season, they were bottom, with just one point. Cue an astonishing turnaround. All is still to play for, and every one of those clubs expected preseason to be in the shake-up for Europe still have every chance.

What a manager that Tommy McLean was, eh?

What a manager that Tommy McLean was, eh?

He was at Motherwell too! The United side that year were weird, though: they'd only just scrambled their way back up under Billy Kirkwood, looked certs for the drop with him still in charge... but then, under the Hamster, seemed to spawn their way to one goal wins every single week. I remember one game at Tynie around January when we dominated throughout, yet there was something strangely inevitable about the visitors' 2-1 victory. They were a seriously streetwise team that year under Tommy.

He was at Motherwell too! The United side that year were weird, though: they'd only just scrambled their way back up under Billy Kirkwood, looked certs for the drop with him still in charge... but then, under the Hamster, seemed to spawn their way to one goal wins every single week. I remember one game at Tynie around January when we dominated throughout, yet there was something strangely inevitable about the visitors' 2-1 victory. They were a seriously streetwise team that year under Tommy.

Thats because Tommy came in and signed Kjell Olofsson(legend...debut as trialist against hearts in 1-0 win), Erik Pedersen(legend), Lars Zetterlund and Sieb Dykstra to replace Ally Maxwell, which turned us into a team with a formidible defence with amazing counter attacking play away from home

Centre back pairing Pressley & Malpas, midfield we had likes of Bowman, McLaren, McKinnon & Dolan, Winters & McSwegan upfront.

Think from October till the 3rd last game of the season we gained more points than both Celtic and Rangers, League challenging form, shame we didnt start the season with Tommy's side and we should have beaten Killie in the SC Semi but lost the replay and they beat Falkirk in the final.

There was one jammy team we didnt beat that season... Hibs!!

Dundee United essentially doing - or not doing - the same thing as Hearts. Neither team can score goals despite playing well and while our midfield have helped us out Dundee United's haven't.

Once both teams start scoring goals we'll be moving up the table.

winston churchill
Thats because Tommy came in and signed Kjell Olofsson(legend...debut as trialist against hearts in 1-0 win), Erik Pedersen(legend), Lars Zetterlund and Sieb Dykstra to replace Ally Maxwell, which turned us into a team with a formidible defence with amazing counter attacking play away from home

Centre back pairing Pressley & Malpas, midfield we had likes of Bowman, McLaren, McKinnon & Dolan, Winters & McSwegan upfront.

Think from October till the 3rd last game of the season we gained more points than both Celtic and Rangers, League challenging form, shame we didnt start the season with Tommy's side and we should have beaten Killie in the SC Semi but lost the replay and they beat Falkirk in the final.

cracking user name there sport.

The People's Chimp

Lookingback that is a pretty decent side. Though i CAN'T STAND MCSWEGAN!

Having just checked, you had a spell in which you took 35 points from 13 games: awesome form by anyone's standards, and you beat Rangers home and away that season too. I thought you threw the Cup away to be honest: but at least you'd already got the monkey off your backs three years earlier.

I actually spent most of the first half of 1997/8 looking over our shoulders and waiting for United to hit form: you were the side I feared in terms of finishing 3rd. But apart from you reaching the League Cup Final, it never happened - and a pretty horrendous decline set in instead. How come? Why did that team break up so quickly?

Lookingback that is a pretty decent side. Though i CAN'T STAND MCSWEGAN!

I quite liked him, to be honest. Confidence is everything in life - and it's pretty rare to find a striker playing at a relatively high level who seemed to struggle with it so often. I often thought he was shy, and maybe a bit down on himself: hence, I suspect, the huge fluctuations in his form. And while he was among a clutch of players we clearly needed off the wage bill post-JJ's exit, I found his treatment in his final months at the club (including his being exiled to train by himself) pretty unedifying.

i have noticed that there is a lot of hearts fans in fife ie dalgety bay,rosyth,inveekeithing,dunfermline,cowden etc i currently stay in dunfermline,if anyone fancys helping me sort out a bus for away games give us a reply or pm ta !!!

The Real Maroonblood
there are one or two on here .............who will be along to defend him shortly............. after they remove their tongue from his chocolate star.

A bit like the Romanov apologists.

;)

what ever happened to the supporters bus named after him.

We have a laugh and move on. The vermin base their entire existence around Albert Kidd.

Just a question - What is it about CL that makes you make such a disparaging remark.

Is it because he was such an outstanding player for us ?

Is it because he took the opportunity to leave the club as he had the intelligence to see what was going to happen - subsequent events suggest he would have probably been sacked anyway and therefore his judgement was sound.

Is it because he is about the only Manager in the country who has actually got the balls to face up to the SFA and actually see it through ?

Is it because that given another time,another regime who would come back - whether you want that or not is irrelevant, the issue is I think he probably would ?

Or maybe you just cannot see past him walking out when he did and therefore that obscures all the rest ! All a bit similar to Elvis's one moment of chest thumping madness obliterating all the other good stuff.

BTW - Please do not go on about his managerial record - I am defending the man's character and integrity.

Just a question - What is it about CL that makes you make such a disparaging remark.

Is it because he took the opportunity to leave the club as he had the intelligence to see what was going to happen - subsequent events suggest he would have probably been sacked anyway and therefore his judgement was sound.

Is it because he is about the only Manager in the country who has actually got the balls to face up to the SFA and actually see it through ?

Is it because that given another time,another regime who would come back - whether you want that or not is irrelevant, the issue is I think he probably would ?

Or maybe you just cannot see past him walking out when he did and therefore that obscures all the rest ! All a bit similar to Elvis's one moment of chest thumping madness obliterating all the other good stuff.

BTW - Please do not go on about his managerial record - I am defending the man's character and integrity.

GREAT post...you forgot..

Is it because he can work the media and comes over as articulate and controlled?

The Real Maroonblood
GREAT post...you forgot..

Is it because he can work the media and comes over as articulate and controlled?

That sounds like "The Puppet Master."

winston churchill

i'll keep it short.

levein was/is my favourite hearts player.

levein the manager kicked us in the nuts.

Having just checked, you had a spell in which you took 35 points from 13 games: awesome form by anyone's standards, and you beat Rangers home and away that season too. I thought you threw the Cup away to be honest: but at least you'd already got the monkey off your backs three years earlier.

I actually spent most of the first half of 1997/8 looking over our shoulders and waiting for United to hit form: you were the side I feared in terms of finishing 3rd. But apart from you reaching the League Cup Final, it never happened - and a pretty horrendous decline set in instead. How come? Why did that team break up so quickly?

I wish i knew, we did have a wee purple patch around september or october where we threatened to go on another mammoth run where we beat Rangers at Ibrox in the league cup and the sheep in the semi at Tynecastle as well as a few league wins in a row but that ground to a hault with back to back defeats against Celtic at Parkhead and in the League Cup Final at Ibrox, 97/98 was Hearts season anyway but we definitely could have had the same type of season as you did the previous year had we started the season with Tommy's side.

As for this season

Hamilton away - shocking deserved to lose

Celtic home - played well, maybe could have won had we been given a pen

Motherwell away - decent first half, shocking 2nd half, a good point in the end

Killie home - all over them first half, they score with their only 2 chances in the game

Hibs away - played well, dominated most of the game and they score their only 2 shots on target

Basically we arent given away many chances to the opposition but the few we are they are taking them and we are not taking ours, despite the good play in midfield etc.

Aberdeen away then you lot at home, doesnt get easier.

I wish i knew, we did have a wee purple patch around september or october where we threatened to go on another mammoth run where we beat Rangers at Ibrox in the league cup and the sheep in the semi at Tynecastle as well as a few league wins in a row but that ground to a hault with back to back defeats against Celtic at Parkhead and in the League Cup Final at Ibrox, 97/98 was Hearts season anyway but we definitely could have had the same type of season as you did the previous year had we started the season with Tommy's side.

As for this season

Hamilton away - shocking deserved to lose

Celtic home - played well, maybe could have won had we been given a pen

Motherwell away - decent first half, shocking 2nd half, a good point in the end

Killie home - all over them first half, they score with their only 2 chances in the game

Hibs away - played well, dominated most of the game and they score their only 2 shots on target

Basically we arent given away many chances to the opposition but the few we are they are taking them and we are not taking ours, despite the good play in midfield etc.

Aberdeen away then you lot at home, doesnt get easier.

I do not expect Utd to be down there for much longer - in fact I fully expect them to be top 4 or 5.

Levein will come good for you guys although when manager of Hearts he was not my fav. Too negative - however it seems that he plays good attractive football nowadays.

i'll keep it short.

levein was/is my favourite hearts player.

levein the manager kicked us in the nuts.

I'll keep it short also - I assume you have moved jobs in your lifetime - it was your right to do so. CL exercised the same right for what he and many others in hindsight believe to be good reason.

It happened - whether you were happy with his decision or not,try not to let that one episode cloud the big picture.

Archived