9-11 Where were you when it happened?

Goose Baxter

i'd been working the night before, so was sleeping when my mum called me to say "they've bombed the twin towers"

i told her not to be so daft, but she was insistant so i got up and stuck on the telly. i watched as the 2nd plane hit, and as the towers collapsed, utterly numb

it was one of those "OH MY GOD!" moments where it doesn't really register quite what you are seeing

i don't think it fully sunk in properly til a day or 2 later there were people blindly wandering around NY with pics of their missing loved ones. that was what set me off completely.

You should see what the memorial centre is like then Beverly, I am not a person who shed a tear but when i was walking around this memorial centre they just come flooding out. It has to be one off the strangest places that i have ever seen, and as amazing as it is, its a place that i will never want to go back to because off the effect it has on everyone, Esp the people of N.Y.C

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seen it dazzler. we went to new york the following july and wandered around what was then essentially just a building site. people had written messages of hope, anger, hurt, defiance etc on the wood fencing. we wandered round for about half an hour, tears in our eyes reading it.

been to new york 3 times since it happened, and each time gone down to ground zero, and there is still a chill there, a really stange, eerie feeling.

you're right, i'd defy anyone not to at least be choked up who visits there

I was at work and one of the bar guys told me that a plane had hit the WTC in New York so popped downstairs to watch the telly to see if it was an accident, perhaps like the bomber that hit the Empire State Building in the 40's. About ten minutes later the 2nd plane struck. I didn't do a stroke of work all day as a crowd of us sat and watched the BBC all day.

I then got home to discover that my girlfriend at the times brother had been there the day before.

When "9/11"" happened I was in the house, supposed to be working. I'd stopped for lunch and for some reason turned sky news on. Was watching the live shots of the WTC when the second plane hit the other tower and could not believe what I was seeing. Needless to say no more work got done after that as I was glued to the tv for the rest of the day and night as events unfolded.

As for ground zero, was there in 2005. It is a very bizarre experience. What I found completely crass were the folk going around selling "souvenir" booklets to tourists. Found that sickening, didn't sit well with me at all.

Archived