9-11 Where were you when it happened?

Goose Baxter

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasat primary school al lday, probably in P5 or something got home and my mum had it on TV. Remember watching it all day everyday for the rest of the week. Eventually it was the only thing being talked about for absolutely months and it got a bit 'dry' until we began to find out more about what had actually happened.

Miller Jambo 60
Wasat primary school al lday, probably in P5 or something got home and my mum had it on TV. Remember watching it all day everyday for the rest of the week. Eventually it was the only thing being talked about for absolutely months and it got a bit 'dry' until we began to find out more about what had actually happened.

And we wonder why war was called on the middle East:eek:

Mind you some cocos on this forum love ENGLAND

Does anyone think that we will ever see something off that size ever happen again??

Boxing Day Tsunami saw about 250k people die.

The war in Iraq has cost around 100k people's lives.

If you mean in terms of sheer spectacle then probably not. Hijacking 4 planes in the space of a couple of hours then crashing three of them into major US landmarks sounds completely ridiculous when you think about it.

If you mean in terms of sheer spectacle then probably not. Hijacking 4 planes in the space of a couple of hours then crashing three of them into major US landmarks sounds completely ridiculous when you think about it.

Indeed. Putting aside my disgust at the motivation and consequences the actions of these ****bags, it was definitely the most audacious and, dare I say it, impressive thing I've ever seen. An absolutely horrible event, though, just like those you mention and countless others (e.g. the scores of terrorist atrocities witness on these shores in the last few decades).

rudi must stay

agree with the 2nd one. But the first is a natural disaster so you can't compare them imo

Does anyone think that we will ever see something off that size ever happen again??

Definitely. They're warming up (well cooling down actually) that big doo-da at CERN just now.

Seriously though I also remember Chernobyl.

Sadly these things come around.

Just wanted to know what everyone was doing the day that this happened on September the 11th.

I always remember i was skiving college with a friend and was strolling through the Almondvale shopping centre walking past the sound and vision shop and seeing this on all the t.v's in the store. I had never heard off the twin towers before this and was shocked to see what was happening.

As i am still in my early 20's this is the only major thing that i can recall happening in my young life so i will always remember the day that terrorism brought the world to a stand still.

Sept 11th is my birthday, so it would`ve been my 26th.

Was working on a building site outside town and was jus packing up to go home early to meet a few mates for birthday beers. Turns on the radio in my mates car as the news comes on, think it was Jay Crawford on forth one saying something about a terrible accident in New York were a plane had crashed near manhattan...........before we`d time to realise what`d been said the tone had changed as reports of the 2nd plane hitting came through.

Just got in the house and turned BBC 24 on to see the towers burning, then within seconds the 1st one collapsed, real JFK moment for my generation. Always remember seeing that, really thought that it was the beginning of WW3 or some sort of Armageddon, y`no?

As an aside to this i got made redundant 2 days later, and had worked with that company for nearly 10 years, straight from school. It was a real punch in the gut, lost my job, worst terrorist attack in history, can remeber a real feeling of the unknown in the air around that time with everyone i knew, peolpe afraid to fly, not trusting anything to be a sure thing anymore.

Spent a fair few days with the curtains shut, smoking too much weed and watching hour after hour of footage on the news of the towers being hit, then burning, then objects later identified as people jumping/falling from the buildings, the towers falling, the Pentagon, the other flight that the passengers fought back, too much information, too many opinions...experts.

dunno, think it had a bigger effect now i look back, scares the crap outta me still that something like that could just "happen", will never forget it.

Malcolm Tucker

I was walking home from school (P7 I think...) and my mate Graham's dad came out and told us what was happening. Got home and my mum, who was a childminder at the time was watching the TV with about 8 kids, all completely silent.

Was a totally mental and bizarre atmosphere. Will never forget it.

I'll never forget where I was when I heard. I lived in Dunfermline at the time and I had been down the shops just before lunchtime.

I had always fancied one of the big black and white Manhatten skyline prints for my wall and had just been and ordered one from the picture framers with the WTC towers prominent on it.

About half an hour after that the first plane struck.

Playing Championship Manager 97/98. I was in the Quarter Finals of the Champions League as Motherwell.

Real life is always a drag, eh?:)

Me & my mate was also playing Camp manager at the time the 1st plane hit. I had a CD on & flicked it onto the radio as i can changing the CD & caught the report. Needless to say the TV went strait on, still kept playing the game though

Dazzler, you are probably right about it sticking with because you were young. I still remember the Lockerbie disaster well. My dad picked me up from an evening party at my Primary School. I was 11 or 12 years old. I'm sure it was a Thursday night and he told me there had been a big air crash when I got in the car.

I lived next to the main road in Biggar at the time of the Lockerbie crash. (I was 8 yrs old). I remember getting woken up by the ambulances as they passed from Edinburgh on route to the scene.

My old man was mates with the local copper who was on scene around 30 minutes after the crash. He had some pretty harrowing tales.

My Dad has since got remarried to a woman from Lockerbie and lives there.

As for 11th September. Was working in a chippy at the time (I had just finished college and was still about a month away from getting a real job) and I was at home between the lunch time and evening shifts. I was reading a Rebus book - the one with the short stories, then I decided to turn the TV on for about 20 minutes before I left.

Was utterly gobsmaked. I phoned my Dad who didn't know what had happened, watched it for as long as I could then went to work where we had it on the TV all night.

Say What Again
Sept 11th is my birthday, so it would`ve been my 26th.

Absolutely nothing to do with the thread, but the post above means you're exactly 2 days older then me.

I was 26 on the 13th.

I was 'working' at the QMUC freshers fair at the old Leith campus and some girl came over and asked if they could switch on the telly that was behind our stall because she'd just received a message telling her that a plane had hit the Twin Towers and that it was on the news. We laughed and agreed it was most likely some sort of weird hoax message but thought it might be an idea to check....BBC 1 came up straight away and that was the end of the fair. The second plane hit about 5 mins after that and I've never seen so many people go such a deathly pale colour simultaneously.

Hundreds of folk camped around the stall watching the telly, we packed everything up and handed out 300 free bottles of VK fruity ming that we had with us to the spectators.

Went home and sat with my flatmates in front of the telly all night. Probably one of the most incredible, terrifying and morbidly fascinating things I have ever witnessed in my life. And one of the strangest days of my life too.

Sheriff Fatman

I was on the bus on the way to work. When I got there the radio was on with news reports. It must have taken about 10 minutes to sink in that it was news and not fictional drama.

So far in my life the events that have stuck in my mind and will never leave are the SAS storming of the Iranian Embassy, the Space Shuttle disaster, the fire at Bradford Stadium, Robert Maxwell's death (Diana's just annoyed me as the reactions were so over the top as to be sickening plus a film I was looking forward to was cancelled for 2 hours of the same 5 minutes worth of news) , 9/11 and most poignantly of all for me personally the 7th of July London bombings as I know people who were in the train stations at the time, people who were involved in the aftermath and a place where I stood at least 3 times a week was used as a temporary morgue.

Kalamazoo Jambo

I was working in Manchester when the planes hit. My colleague in the office next door had a TV and called me in to watch what was going on, so I saw the second plane hit and the towers fall. Felt pretty numb when I was watching it, to be honest. I had been up the top of the World Trade Center just a couple of years previously.

At that point in time, my company had just applied for a visa for me to work in the US. A couple of month later I was in Michigan. My first impressions were that there were American flags everywhere you looked. American culture was already overtly patriotic, and 9/11 kicked this into overdrive.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I was working in AEGON and had just come back to my desk when the girl opposite said to me that a plane had hit one of the towers. Tried to get on the net but it was in meltdown. Then someone put the TV on in one of the meeting rooms and the office stopped as the horror unfolded.

I left early, phoned my Dad because I was convinced Bush was about to press the button that day and feck knows what would have happened then. I actually think Blair, for all his faults, actually calmed the situation and this led to a more measured response.

I was working just outside Detroit MI at the time. Just like many people here, someone told me about the first plane, we turned on the TV and watched the second plane hit.

Thing is, once everyone determined loved ones were ok (my ex was supposed to be flying to Tennessee that day) they just went back to work.

I spent the entire day glued to the TV.

I knew, just like most everyone else apart from the people I worked with, that this was A Big Deal. I remember having my laptop with me, pretty much all the major news sites were down for hours, but I was looking at bulletin boards full of arseholes saying things like "they just lost contact with Air Force One".

Thing is, after seeing what we'd all just seen, you couldn't discount it.

Driving home that night, there were groups of people on street corners with candles, it was surreal in the extreme.

Was in our school common room hanging out as we had a free period. Watched the whole thing unfold on the BBC. We didn't have to go to classes that afternoon (because we were senior pupils, we got to watch with the teachers).

A group of Business Studies students were due to visit the towers exactly a week from when it happened (they won a competition) and i remember a lot of them being visibly upset, along with a couple of Business teachers.

Ran home as soon as i got off the bus from school to watch the evenings events unfold.

Just wanted to know what everyone was doing the day that this happened on September the 11th.

I didn't know we needed alibis! :eek:

I was at the office (in spain) and a belgian guy I work with said his mum had just called and that a plane had crashed into the empire state building. Having been in new york shortly before, my immediate reaction was "that must have been deliberate, no way could that be an accident". We got some live feed from the internet and obviously saw it wasnt the ESB after all, then watched the rest unfold.

I still think (having watched a few more documentaries this week) that the footage of the whole thing is the most astonishing (probably the wrong word) tv footage anyone will ever see. The most compulsive, horrific viewing in history.

marshallschunkychicken
I was working in AEGON and had just come back to my desk when the girl opposite said to me that a plane had hit one of the towers. Tried to get on the net but it was in meltdown. Then someone put the TV on in one of the meeting rooms and the office stopped as the horror unfolded.

I left early, phoned my Dad because I was convinced Bush was about to press the button that day and feck knows what would have happened then. I actually think Blair, for all his faults, actually calmed the situation and this led to a more measured response.

I was in AEGON as well (still am, for my sins), and it was just bizarre how the whole atmosphere in the place just changed. Nobody did any work for the rest of the day, with everyone trying to access the net to see what was going on.

I spent the afternoon trying to get the school-leavers around me to understand the gravity of the whole situation. They just didn't seem to get how much had changed in such a short time.

Fortunately they didn't have namby-pamby pointless classes like that when I was at school. My "easiest" class was quadruple Latin.

Tempes fugit

I was dropping my son off at school after a hospital visit when it came on the radio.At first they thought it was some sort of accident,by the time I arrived home I put CNN on and sat and watched the 2nd plane hit.

I was on the bus on the way to work. When I got there the radio was on with news reports. It must have taken about 10 minutes to sink in that it was news and not fictional drama.

So far in my life the events that have stuck in my mind and will never leave are the SAS storming of the Iranian Embassy, the Space Shuttle disaster, the fire at Bradford Stadium, Robert Maxwell's death (Diana's just annoyed me as the reactions were so over the top as to be sickening plus a film I was looking forward to was cancelled for 2 hours of the same 5 minutes worth of news) , 9/11 and most poignantly of all for me personally the 7th of July London bombings as I know people who were in the train stations at the time, people who were involved in the aftermath and a place where I stood at least 3 times a week was used as a temporary morgue.

I also still remember where I was and what I was doing when the Space Shuttle disaster, Michael Ryan in Hereford, Lockerbie and also as it seemed to feel closer Dunblane all happened.

I was still in primary school when Lockerbie happened so didn't quite grasp the full horror of it especially that it was in our own country but as I was older and at work when Dunblane happened it really shocked me when I heard.

The People's Chimp

I'd just come out of an exam, at uni in France, went in to say bye to all the secretaries in the office as i was leaving later in the week, and that was me finished, when I went in they were hysterical, on about palestinians bmbing new york, bombs going off everywhere, planes being attacked, i was pretty numb because my bro was out hose ways, but after getting through to my mum found out he'd been in NY the day before and had left to head north.

At that met two friends, they took a tram into town and i rode the girls bike in - she was to shocked to ride it. We met at a bar and watched it all unfold.

Absolutely nothing to do with the thread, but the post above means you're exactly 2 days older then me.

I was 26 on the 13th.

happy birthday for tommorrow Jack :)

scottish_chicP

I was in my dads car coming home from college. Heard the news on Atlantic 252 when they thought it was an accident as a previous post said I also watched the plane hit live when I got home.

Had just got back from Oz the day before and was about to go get a haircut when I turned on the TV to check teletext. That was about 5 minutes before the second plane hit. Never made it to the barbers.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I was working in a studio in London when it happened.

Somebody had heard it on the radio

There must have been 20 of us round a portable telly watching it unfold, things I remember most was the black humour and people making Bruce ~Willis and Steve McQueen jokes before we turned on the telly and the studio manager (a right twunt) trying to get everyone back to work as we had a load of work on. Naebody moved.

The attack in London was worse for me as one of the bombs went off about 100 yards away from my best mates flat at the tube he uses for work.

For Lockerbie I was in the Dovehill Arms in Uphall

I was 26 on the 13th.

I was 26 on the 30th :eek:

We had just moved to Toulouse and I left work early to open the house for a delivery. Switched on the TV and the second tower was hit 5 seconds afterwards. I thought it was a film.

chester copperpot

Was in my work, when the news came through. Immediately went upstairs to watch it all happen in the canteen. Saw the 2nd plane hit the WTC, and thought WTF have I done, as the wife was only 2 weeks away from giving birth to my first kid.

Seriously thought that day that it was the beginning of the 3rd, and final World War.

I was doing interviews at S&N's office in Staines. I didn't have a clue what was going on until about 4.00p.m. when someone came and told us. The missus was in a panic as we were near Heathrow. (or perhaps she was thinking about the insurance) either way I had a few missed calls on my phone.

its sad to say i was on holiday from work and gouching around watching neighbours with my ex when the news interupted. they were showing the amatuer film of the first "crash" then a few minutes in (or more?) we watched the 2nd plane go into the next tower live.

we sat for four hours watching it all unfold and that night she had nightmares about it. she woke me up convinced there were people trapped under our bed.

its the most surreal thing i've ever watched

I was in a hash cafe in Amsterdam getting melted with my mates when "breaking news" flashed up on the TV. Sat for the rest of the afternoon in disbelief as we watched it all unfold. I remember my mate asking how the feck they were going to knock down the damaged tower...just as the whole thing imploded!! Then when had to get a flight back to Edinburgh at night, was seriously relieved when we touched down in Scotland.

I dont know if its because i am still a young person but i think this will be something that i will remember for the rest off my life. The day that this happened. I dont know if its because its the only thing to happen, As i couldnt tell you the day that Iraq got bombed etc. Do older kickbackers remember stuff from when they are younger, Or is it because 9-11 was such a massive thing that we all remember what we were doing at this time?

If you asked that in America, you would get the Kennedy Assassination thrown back at you all the time. Over here however, I don't think there has been a more defining moment than 9/11 since perhaps the last war.

I do remember the morning I heard about Princess Diana being killed - Didn't actually realise how much I respected her until that moment. The one other memory that sticks in my mind was when Maggie announced "We are now technically at war" when we went toe to toe with Argentina. I was only ten at the time though and war to me was what the Olds had described being pretty much apocalyptic - Fortunately, we didn't really experience that this time.

as for 9/11. In the office when my mate phoned to say the first plane had hit. Remember a look of shock on most people around me as it took a long time for the gravity of the event to sink in. It did change the world.

i'd been working the night before, so was sleeping when my mum called me to say "they've bombed the twin towers"

i told her not to be so daft, but she was insistant so i got up and stuck on the telly. i watched as the 2nd plane hit, and as the towers collapsed, utterly numb

it was one of those "OH MY GOD!" moments where it doesn't really register quite what you are seeing

i don't think it fully sunk in properly til a day or 2 later there were people blindly wandering around NY with pics of their missing loved ones. that was what set me off completely.

rudi must stay
I was in a hash cafe in Amsterdam getting melted with my mates when "breaking news" flashed up on the TV. Sat for the rest of the afternoon in disbelief as we watched it all unfold. I remember my mate asking how the feck they were going to knock down the damaged tower...just as the whole thing imploded!! Then when had to get a flight back to Edinburgh at night, was seriously relieved when we touched down in Scotland.

well done to you. Can't say i'd have wanted to be on a plane the same day all that had happened

I was in the Royal McGregor pub on the High Street with a girl.

I walked into the pub to find it full of American tourists gawping at the TV and crying.

The 2nd plane hit seconds after I took my first sip of my pint.

I was at a school--a building had been burnt down--the principal was going off about revenge--nobody was sure what he was referring to--i.e. the twin towers or the school building

well done to you. Can't say i'd have wanted to be on a plane the same day all that had happened

Mate, we were seriously bricking it, one of mates even wanted to get the ferry back :eek:

We were lucky to get home as easyjet grounded the majority of their planes, but it certainly wasn't a pleasnt flight!!! If we'd clocked any arabs getting on the plane I don't think we would have got on.

On a wee side note, we were planning on bringing some smelly green ***** back with us but decided against it as we thought security would be tight and we'd all get searched. Gets into Edinburgh airport and there was literally no customs/security folk to be seen, we just picked up our bags and walked out!! Could have brought plenty back!!

Dunblane, piper alpha, and lockerbie, for a small country we have had a few horrific things happening in the last 20 odd years

Francis Albert
If you asked that in America, you would get the Kennedy Assassination thrown back at you all the time.

Not just in the States. I can still remember the TV news bulletins interrupting normal programmes with the news. In some ways I think it was more striking then because of the absence of 24 hour news and the internet and the fact almost everyone received the news in the same way. With 24 hours rolling news coverage of almost everything, even relatively minor events, there is some loss of impact I think. For example until I actually saw the first of the Twin Towers collapse on TV at work I found it difficult to grasp how big 9/11 was.

Dunblane, piper alpha, and lockerbie, for a small country we have had a few horrific things happening in the last 20 odd years

All man made too.

Archived