9-11 Where were you when it happened?

Goose Baxter

Just wanted to know what everyone was doing the day that this happened on September the 11th.

I always remember i was skiving college with a friend and was strolling through the Almondvale shopping centre walking past the sound and vision shop and seeing this on all the t.v's in the store. I had never heard off the twin towers before this and was shocked to see what was happening.

As i am still in my early 20's this is the only major thing that i can recall happening in my young life so i will always remember the day that terrorism brought the world to a stand still.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one o my mates was in disney at the time.and was due to fly home that later that day.they shut the parks pronto and he got put in the hilton for a couple o days.

Say What Again

I was in the Royal McGregor pub on the High Street with a girl.

I walked into the pub to find it full of American tourists gawping at the TV and crying.

The 2nd plane hit seconds after I took my first sip of my pint.

I was in work at Sainsburys cameron toll. Bizzare atmosphere as it unfolded. At first it just seemed like a major accident (the 1st plane). Having not seen any images, I just assumed it was a light plane, not a jumbo jet!

Only seen snippets on my break of what was unfolding, but didn't really grasp it til I got home.

Aged 12, Modern Studies class at Craigmount.

In Mod Studies later in the week, we arrived in class to the name 'Osama Bin Laden' on the blackboard.

Attended a conference at London in the morning. Load of pesh so bailed out early and caught the train to Birmingham for a client meeting the next day. As I checked into the hotel, I thought it was odd there were so many people in the bar watching telly so early in the afternoon. When I got to my room and turned on my telly, I soon discovered why.... Saw the whole thing from the second plane onwards.

Incidentally, I was up at Windows on the World just a few months prior to the attack and remember remarking how many aircraft were flying around and how close they looked.

Al Qaeda ****. :mad:

At home getting ready to go work. I had the great honour of telling 1 of our guests that her daughter who worked in the pentagon was alive.

I dont know if its because i am still a young person but i think this will be something that i will remember for the rest off my life. The day that this happened. I dont know if its because its the only thing to happen, As i couldnt tell you the day that Iraq got bombed etc. Do older kickbackers remember stuff from when they are younger, Or is it because 9-11 was such a massive thing that we all remember what we were doing at this time?

I was in my final year of school in music class.

I remember being in the rehearsal room with my band when one of the guys got a text from his brother to tell him about it all. Naturally, we had a wee joke and didn't think much of it - somewhat naively looking back.

It was only when I got home a few hours later and sat down to the TV that I could appreciate what had just happened. Watching the news all night left me feeling physically sick.

On the plus side, I passed my driving test the very next morning.

Say What Again
Do older kickbackers remember stuff from when they are younger, Or is it because 9-11 was such a massive thing that we all remember what we were doing at this time?

Then only thing thats come close in my lifetime to matching the feeling and hysteria that day, was when Princess Diana died.

"Don't do drugs, don't have unprotected sex, don't drink".

Ah, (Personal and )Social Eductaion, thats what we called it.

Yup, worst class ever. Waste of time.

Miller Jambo 60
one o my mates was in disney at the time.and was due to fly home that later that day.they shut the parks pronto and he got put in the hilton for a couple o days.

Was 2-10 shift and a sparkie said a plane has crashed in to the twin towers.

All rumours floated during my shift.

Got home and watched all the news till 3am.

pretty shocked and as i said on a previous thread cant say on KB how i felt about the attackers.:mad:

'Life Studies' at school.

Fortunately they didn't have namby-pamby pointless classes like that when I was at school. My "easiest" class was quadruple Latin.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Playing Championship Manager 97/98. I was in the Quarter Finals of the Champions League as Motherwell.

Real life is always a drag, eh?:)

Fortunately they didn't have namby-pamby pointless classes like that when I was at school. My "easiest" class was quadruple Latin.

Latin? Did you study Gaelic as well:omg_2: :4_1_72:

I was singing karaoke in Vietnamese, drinking snake wine and Beer hoi and eating sweet and sour frogs legs. All in a small town in Southern Vietnam. I didn't hear about the 9/11 event until about the 14th.

If anyone can beat that I will be impressed...:)

Chad Sexington

:biggrin:

Therapist and his chums enjoyed taunting the poorer children during play time.

eton-boys.jpg

Say What Again
Therapist and his chums enjoyed taunting the poorer children during play time.

eton-boys.jpg

Is that him on the end having a wee game of pocket billiards at the same time? :P

Sat on my hunover ass waiting to go to work at 5pm. Special news report came on after neighbours i think and i instantly thought the Queen Mother had died. Watched it till i went to work but at 4pm my mate came over dressed in full combat gear! Dont worry he was in the raf and got callled in! Then watched it with my boss at work as no1 really beleived how bad it was. I said we'd be at war then and im still right

I'd been on nightshift and and boy in the work had got me a pirate of the film Swordfish. Put it on when I got in and fell asleep watching it.

Woke up to the telly still on and pictures of the first plane hitting and for about the first minute thinking it was just part of the film until I properly woke up and realised it would be a day that the world would never forget.

Is that him on the end having a wee game of pocket billiards at the same time? :P

No. I'm on the extreme right. Just as you'd expect. :P

In Crete, looking across a turquoise bay at Chania thinking just how beautiful the world was. I walked indoors to see the events unfold and discovered quite how ugly man was.

Greens gymn -- watching sky news after 1st plane crashed then watched as second flew in -- just could not believe what I was watching -- up to 1st crash it seemed it was an accident -- once second flew into towers you knew it was deliberate.

After that stayed to watch story unfold -- just seemed like you could not take your eyes off the screen with the stories coming in of the other planes etc.

At work listening on the radio.had to take my pal home as her sister worked near there and she wanted to phone her. When she finally got her on the phone 8 hrs later. She said they heard the noise when the planes hit but had no idea what it was... Took her 5 hours to walk home from work.

At work, heard it on radio news. Thought like most that it was a light plane and an accident until the 2nd plane struck.

Living in Maryland USA about 25 miles north of DC. My wife worked downtown DC at the time about 2 or 3 blocks from The White House, when I called her to tell her what I had seen on TV her initial reaction was I was at some kinda stupid wind up. While we spoke news started to filter thru at her work, she couldnt get online to check out what was happening, minutes later someone shouted about the Pentagon attack. I believe they could see in that direction from her building and could see the smoke from the crash

I will never forget driving down to DC to get her. We had arranged to meet at a point on Mass Avenue as she headed away from downtown DC, the sea of people walking away from DC was unbelievable. Took about 20 mins to get to DC (normally would take 30/40 mins) But over 2 hours to get back home

Obviously a day many of us will never forget.

Was wandering through Makro with about 12 crates of beer as one of my mates was having a housewarming that night. Pondered putting the beer back and not having the party but the beer monster took over. Was a strange party though.

I'd been up the top of the towers about 6 months before it as well.

I live in NJ just now so going to go in to the tribute tonight when I get in from work. Think it'll be strange, not really sure I want to go but feel like I should for some reason.

I bet you felt like a "libertus" at the end of that.

I did Latin too but most of what I know now I learnt off The Life of Brian. Incontinentia Buttocks etc.

Anyway, the thing I'll remember about 11-9 was watching the news clip on AOL. I was at work and only a handful of computers had an internet connection. It was the first time I'd ever really seen the internet being used to broadcast video of something useful. The video was tiny mind you and the connection was slow (ISDN). Alot has changed in a very short time.

As for the event I remember laughing when I was first told about it because I thought it would just be some nutter attemting to take out a tower in a hang glider. Little did I know.

rudi must stay

was at school. didn't even know anything had happened till i got home. Eerily enough, we had to write about something that had happened in the news that day

Dazzler, you are probably right about it sticking with because you were young. I still remember the Lockerbie disaster well. My dad picked me up from an evening party at my Primary School. I was 11 or 12 years old. I'm sure it was a Thursday night and he told me there had been a big air crash when I got in the car.

I was singing karaoke in Vietnamese, drinking snake wine and Beer hoi and eating sweet and sour frogs legs. All in a small town in Southern Vietnam. I didn't hear about the 9/11 event until about the 14th.

If anyone can beat that I will be impressed...:)

I was on the 100th floor of the South tower.

alwaysthereinspirit

I remember my wife called to tell me a plane had crashed into the world trade center. I thought she meant a small plane. Called me back to tell me about the second one and I remember asking her if she was losing it because she'd already told me about it. She started crying and said " no it's the other tower"

That's when I knew it wasn't an accident but not having seen footage yet I had no idea how bad it was.

A friend of my wifes was on AA flight 11.

The days after were weird. No commercial planes but the sound of fighter jets every where

was working at the haymarket rail depot, heard on the radio that a plane had crashed into the WTC, popped into the canteen to watch the news, seconds later saw the second plane crash

Then only thing thats come close in my lifetime to matching the feeling and hysteria that day, was when Princess Diana died.

i can remember the lockerbie bombing

Does anyone think that we will ever see something off that size ever happen again??

Of course. We will see something bigger.

We can only hope it involves Glasgow. :P

Of course. We will see something bigger.

We can only hope it involves Glasgow. :P

Even in jest and with the smiley face thats quite the statement

Even in jest and with the smiley face thats quite the statement

We will see something like this again that is for sure. More than likely a massive natural disaster the like we have not seen for centuries.

Of course if it happens in the Weidge let's hope the people escape. However as for the place itself it could blow up tomorrow for all I care.

A cesspit at the best of times.

I was walking down my mums house when my mate came out of the dentist and announced that a plane had hit one of the towers, i arrived at my mums where she had sky news on, i wtached in horror as the 2nd plane hit, i remember talking my son to the park after and the streets were empty and there were no planes overhead (my mums house is under a flight path) it was eerily quiet.

Archived