Andy Murray - Grand Slam Finalist

slatefordchap

What will you be shouting?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What will you be shouting?

• Come on Andy!!!
    • Come on Fed!!!
    • Come on Tim!!!

If Murray wins tonight he will be a shoe-in for sports personality of the year.

BBC will do a catch-all with the Olympians, and give Team GB "Team of The Year"

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I P Knightley
If Murray wins tonight he will be a shoe-in for sports personality of the year. Hamilton?

BBC will do a catch-all with the Olympians, and give Team GB "Team of The Year"Didn't the English Cricket team avoid a couple of losses?

I wish that I'd stop getting into discussions about BBC SPOTY.

It's a mis-nomer and the award usually reflects someone's performance in the latter third of a year only.

The sports people with outstanding achievements have their significant reward well before this poxy award.

I will try not to follow.

let's talk about tennis...

marshallschunkychicken
You miss out the one that will win it - Rebecca Adlington.

Young, semi-attractive, middle class and English. The stuff of Daily Mail dreams. Wonderful acheivement and clearly a very, very talented girl. Better effort than Three-gold medal Scotsman Hoy or upstart young Scot Murray (touch wood) winning a first grand slam for a British tennis player since 1936?

I'll give you even money on Adlington.

Jesus Christ! :eek:

I wish that I'd stop getting into discussions about BBC SPOTY.

It's a mis-nomer and the award usually reflects someone's performance in the latter third of a year only.

The sports people with outstanding achievements have their significant reward well before this poxy award.

I will try not to follow.

let's talk about tennis...

Share your misnomer sentiment.... as someone mentioned should be re-named Sports Achievement of the Year - and even if Hamilton wins the F1 WC; Murray winning a major would eclipse that achievement imho

...and to keep it on tennis (and the US Open) - I'm sure that famous Canadian Greg Rudeski won SPOtY in the late 90's; when he became the first Canadian to get to a major final since...., eh.....for a very long time :)

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I said for ages on here and on the BBC site that Murray will become a major winner - it is just a matter of time.

He can play every shot in the book, is one of the most complete tennis players on the tour and is now also one of the fittest. The hard work he has put in is only now starting to pay off.

I actually not particularly bothered who wins - just hoping for a great final as I also want Federer to pass Sampras' record of 14 slam wins and become the greatest ever.

Chad Sexington
I said for ages on here and on the BBC site that Murray will become a major winner - it is just a matter of time.

He can play every shot in the book, is one of the most complete tennis players on the tour and is now also one of the fittest. The hard work he has put in is only now starting to pay off.

I think the biggest change has happened in his head.

He's like a different person on the court from even a couple of months ago.

He just seems so much calmer and focused. If he misses a shot or a game goes against him he just seems gets on with it. In the past you could actually seem him mentally unravel before your eyes.

I reckon he's in with a very decent shout against Federer tonight.

Poll on its way...

Apparently in a poll dan saff 70% of englanders wanted him to lose. I say **** those english w****** and get it right up them Murray!! (even if he does 'support' a wee team)

I hate that he's such a raging hibby, but I love to see British sportsmen & women do well, and it's a good excuse to stay up late on a school night and have a couple of drinks!

I hate that he's such a raging hibby, but I love to see British sportsmen & women do well, and it's a good excuse to stay up late on a school night and have a couple of drinks!

he's not a raging hibby tho!!!!!

Cant wait for tonights final - c'mon Andy.

But then I also would have shouted c'mon Tim and c'mon Greg.

His hoboness doesnt matter a jot in the same way that Chris Hoy's Golds werent better because he's a jambo.

Carl Spackler
Apparently in a poll dan saff 70% of englanders wanted him to lose.

No slight to yourself mate but that's absolute garbage.

Of course I want him to win.

Ok he's a grumpy, ignorant hobo. (Actually I didn't need to type hobo there, that's unnecessary, all hobo's are ignorant)

So he's surly, spotty and spoiled, but then he is a teenager (or not far off it). He's probably spanking his monkey 15 to the dozen even as I type. His attitude is pretty much what you'd expect from a kid.

10 years from now he'll probably be very embarrassed.

C'mon Andy, you're a git, but you're our git.

portobellojambo1

I would hardly call the guy a raging Hibee, I would doubt he has seen them in donkeys. Apparently has a liking for Hibs for no other reason than the fact his maternal grandfather played for their reserve team.

Think after his performance Saturday night and yesterday he deserves to win it.

Chad Sexington

I'll be rooting for him.

He's genuinely world class and has the potential to be a tennis great.

Scotland only produces that level of sportsman every blue moon. I wont be turning my nose up at him because he sometimes looks for Hibs results in the paper.

The Mighty Thor
Poll on its way...

Apparently in a poll dan saff 70% of englanders wanted him to lose. I say **** those english w****** and get it right up them Murray!! (even if he does 'support' a wee team)

Any links to that particular poll. I'd love to use it to ram it up a few of the pro-union types on here that bang on about the 'racist' (sic) parochial Scots.

Murray win for me. He deserves it after the way he horsed Nadal. :)

No slight to yourself mate but that's absolute garbage.

i didn't hear the phone in but i'm told it was on the radio this afternoon and the english presenter couldn't believe what he was hearing as all the english trumpets called in.

possibly on BBC Radio 2 or talksport or something? can't recall which channel it was on.

crazy_jambo_2006

Agreed. I bet he's hardly been to Easter Road in his life. Glad to see people backing Murray here. I would say anyone who cheers a foreign player against a Brit, (JUST because the Brit may be a Hibby) takes their football loyalty +allegiances a bit far.

he's not a raging hibby tho!!!!!

I hope he wins.

I met him a couple of years ago in Barcelona and to this day i will sswear that it was my drunken advice to him that has seen his success rocket.

That's only a theory mind...:rolleyes:

i didn't hear the phone in but i'm told it was on the radio this afternoon and the english presenter couldn't believe what he was hearing as all the english trumpets called in.

possibly on BBC Radio 2 or talksport or something? can't recall which channel it was on.

i heard a snippet from talksport and they were discussing this, i never heard anything of a poll but i only heard it very briefly, the presenter was saying that even after the infamous Paraguay comment (:)) he still wanted Murray to win.

Any links to that particular poll. I'd love to use it to ram it up a few of the pro-union types on here that bang on about the 'racist' (sic) parochial Scots.

Murray win for me. He deserves it after the way he horsed Nadal. :)

okay i've done my homework. the channel was talksport, the presenter was John Gaunt (sp??) and it was on between 10am - 12 today.

not sure if that'll help you find a link.

Commander Harris
okay i've done my homework. the channel was talksport, the presenter was John Gaunt (sp??) and it was on between 10am - 12 today.

not sure if that'll help you find a link.

I heard the poll on that show too. Was about 60-70 % (can't remember exactly) of listeners that wanted Murray to lose.

Not a link to the poll but I thought this debate in The Times made interesting reading

http://timesonline.typepad.com/sports_commentary/2008/09/will-britain-le.html

A lot of negativity against Murray but thankfully a few balanced and positive views as well.

I'll be supporting him. I couldn't care less if he has a 'minor' Hibs alligence.

A world class Scottish athlete -- what's not to support.

If people are so petty not to want him to win because he 'supports' hibs then it says more about them than we need to know.

Same comment applies to those non scots not wanting him to win -- substitute his comment/actions re England for an Englishmen saying he hoped Macedonia beat Scotland and hardly a word would have been said in England.

He seems to have his head screwed on , works hard at his game and you don't hear of him drunk in pubs/nightclubs -- sets a good example for young potential sportsmen.

Perhaps as he matures he may leave the dark side and come in to the light ;)

Carl Spackler

Talk Sport talks p%$h!

There will be a few English folks who will be against him no doubt but I'd guess the majority support him.

Talk Sport always creates an "angle" to get the punters arguing. It's the nature of the beast.

Bonnie Prince Charlie
Poll on its way...

I reckon Barca are a very big team

Commander Harris
Talk Sport talks p%$h!

There will be a few English folks who will be against him no doubt but I'd guess the majority support him.

Talk Sport always creates an "angle" to get the punters arguing. It's the nature of the beast.

I agree that their presenters take an angle to promote discussion/conflict but I don't think they make up poll results.

they asked their listeners to text in for their poll, so it's not necessarily English people texting. I think the question was "Do you want Murray to lose tonight?" or something on those lines, most respondants said yes.

I agree that their presenters take an angle to promote discussion/conflict but I don't think they make up poll results.

they asked their listeners to text in for their poll, so it's not necessarily English people texting. I think the question was "Do you want Murray to lose tonight?" or something on those lines, most respondants said yes.

Talk Sport is like "tabloid" radio, i.e. not too representative of your average English tennis fan. Hobo or not, I hope he wins, if just for the fact that it might delay a few more tennis courts being lost to flats.

Commander Harris
Talk Sport is like "tabloid" radio, i.e. not too representative of your average English tennis fan. Hobo or not, I hope he wins, if just for the fact that it might delay a few more tennis courts being lost to flats.

of course it's not representative of your average English tennis fan, I'm pretty sure even if the poll had been carried out on another show the result would have been vastly different. I was just saying I had heard the poll the OP mentioned and I was trying to clarify that it was not a 3rd party poll but one that talksport had done.

like I said, it wasn't a poll of English tennis fans, not even english people, it was a poll of their listeners. that's all I was clarifying.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Im pretty certain Andy Murray couldnt find Easter Road with a map to be fair. Dont think hes all that big a Hibby

Im not a big tennis fan to be honest and cant see me staying up late to watch it but I still feel its a pretty amazing thing that someone from Scotland, with the track record we have for producing good tennis players (i.e none) can reach the final of a grand slam tournament. So yes I do want Andy Murray to win. But if he doesnt then its not going to spoil my night.

loveofthegame

Massive Murray fan- who gives a flying about what team he supports.

And whilst i'm proud to be British, i like how he's a proud Scot. Why shouldn't he be- the English just don't like the fact that the lad was produced North of the border.

He's getting horsed :laugh:

I would never dislike someone just because of their nationality,so I am afraid I cannot warm to someone simply because they are British/Scottish but act like a complete bawbag IMO.

Everything about him and that awful mother of his make me want to put my foot through the telly.

I don't think I have ever disliked a tennis player as much,and believe me I reallly hated Greg Ruzedski.

C'Mon the other guy.

Sometimes you are funny "Cat", sometimes you get your sport mixed up. :P

I genuinely want him to lose mate.

I can't stand the greetin-faced get.

PS. I can't be arsed with Stephen Hendry either.

If he gets leathered what's the betting that he blames it on some kind of mystery injury ?

Its what he usually does isn't it ?

I genuinely want him to lose mate.

I can't stand the greetin-faced get.

PS. I can't be arsed with Stephen Hendry either.

I have played snooker with Stephen in the past and been round to his house. He is a sound guy.

Some people dont like success it seems.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
If he gets leathered what's the betting that he blames it on some kind of mystery injury ?

Its what he usually does isn't it ?

I like him but he does do that a lot.

His knees playing up already I see. :)

Some people dont like success it seems.

Nothing to do with that.

Well done on jumping to an almighty conclusion though.

Just can't be arsed with torn-faced punters.

Archived