Working hours and breaks

heartsfc_fan

Evening all.

I was wondering what is the number of hours you have to work before you are allowed to get a break?

I believe it is 5 hours? Can anyone confirm?

The Old Tolbooth

4 hours is a 15 minute break, 6 hours is a 30 minute and a 10 minute break, and 8 hours is 2 x 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute break, or it was when I was a gaffer last.

Cheers guys. Just having a chat with a mate, and he didn't get a break for 5.5 hour shift at a pub....so I guess technically illegal!

Tesco does (total breaks):

15mins - 4/5hr

30mins - 6hr

45mins - 7hr - usually 1x30min, 1x15min

60mins - 8hr - usually 2x30min

90mins - 9hr - usually 2x15min, 1x60min

chester copperpot

4hrs - 15 mins

5hrs - 30 mins

6 hrs - 30 mins with option of another 30 mins break unpaid

7hrs - as above

8hrs- 2 15 mins with 1hr unpaid lunch break

9hrs - 45 mins paid breaks with 1 hrs unpaid lunch break.

4hrs - 15 mins

5hrs - 30 mins

6 hrs - 30 mins with option of another 30 mins break unpaid

7hrs - as above

8hrs- 2 15 mins with 1hr unpaid lunch break

9hrs - 45 mins paid breaks with 1 hrs unpaid lunch break.

As much as it is the law, do most work places actually stick to this?

Maybe its just because I've worked in hospitality the last couple of years, but the normal seems to be working about a 10 hour shift (often longer) with only a half hour unpaid break. Basically enough time to grab enough to eat so that you won't pass out from lack of energy and then get back to work. Think the most I ever would have got would be an hour unpaid for a 10 hour shift.

To be fair, those who smoke seemed to get away with a few more breaks throughout the day. Which would possibly explain why everyone in the business seems to smoke.

6 hours then you're due 20 mins, anything else and you're employers are treating you like a human being, unlike working for the ambulance service where breaks are frowned upon, unless you smoke that is

In my business you must have a 15 minute break within any period of 5 hours. After 5 hours you must have 1 hours lunch break. There is no stipulation of where in the 5 hours the 15 minutes come.

In my business you must have a 15 minute break within any period of 5 hours. After 5 hours you must have 1 hours lunch break. There is no stipulation of where in the 5 hours the 15 minutes come.

nice job. paid lunchbreak luxury

jamboinglasgow

my employment which just ended had me doing 8hr shifts where I had a 15 min break and a 5 min break. Same for my 10 hr shift. Glad I finished my employment with them, as I had to work 70 hours a week sometimes.

nice job. paid lunchbreak luxury

No paid lunchbreaks mate. And a couple of weeks ago I did 35 day stretch with only one day off in the middle of it I make sure I get mealbreaks because of that sort of nonsense.

jamboinglasgow
As much as it is the law, do most work places actually stick to this?

Maybe its just because I've worked in hospitality the last couple of years, but the normal seems to be working about a 10 hour shift (often longer) with only a half hour unpaid break. Basically enough time to grab enough to eat so that you won't pass out from lack of energy and then get back to work. Think the most I ever would have got would be an hour unpaid for a 10 hour shift.

To be fair, those who smoke seemed to get away with a few more breaks throughout the day. Which would possibly explain why everyone in the business seems to smoke.

I am the same, they hospitality business force you to work as many hours as possible and give you just enough break that you dont keel over. I was the same in getting less than half an hour (unpaid which is cheeky in itself) for 10 hours work (quite often it ran on so it would be 11 or 12 hour days.

No wonder in the department I was working in at my job they went from having 20 employees avaliable for shifts to 5 when I left.

Also agree with you about smoking, I was only one in my group who didn't smoke, in the end just went outside with them to get a breather.

No paid lunchbreaks mate. And a couple of weeks ago I did 35 day stretch with only one day off in the middle of it I make sure I get mealbreaks because of that sort of nonsense.

too right you should. don't let the barstewards grind you down, and don't let it become the norm either. Unless they cross your palm with exceptional silver, and even then is at your whim not theirs.

My work is if you work more than 4.5 hours u get 30 mins if you are under 18. You need to work over 5.5 if you are over 18 to get a 20 min break.

Cheers guys. Just having a chat with a mate, and he didn't get a break for 5.5 hour shift at a pub....so I guess technically illegal!

It's maybe different now, but I worked in loads of pubs and double shifts were the norm. Used to start at 10.30am in Kays bar, get a half hour for lunch and a half hour for dinner, finishing up at way past midnight if you were lucky.

As far as I know, it's 5 hours and a 15 minute break minimum.

You're being done over...................

my employment which just ended had me doing 8hr shifts where I had a 15 min break and a 5 min break. Same for my 10 hr shift. Glad I finished my employment with them, as I had to work 70 hours a week sometimes.

70 hours luxury......

2 of my friends work in a very well-known establishment which has them working ridiculous hours including sometimes less than 6 hours between shifts eg. finish at 3am back in at 8 or 9am. However because the employer is aware of how illegal the hours are, the more-than-occasional sicky and hangover goes without comment.

Archived