Football prices

RoaldJensen

I just paid 90 euros for my champions league package to watch anorthosis play werder bremen inter milan and panathaneikos in the group stages of the champions league.

Thats about twenty pounds a match.

This team are probably on a par with Hearts (well probably better than Hearts at the moment), they arent owned by a supposed millionaire , have a stadium the size of Tynecastle and dont feel the need to rip people off.

Contrast that with a friend of mine who has just come back from a visit home to Edinburgh and had to pay an exorbitent price to see what he described as an awful game of football against St. Mirren.

Does anyone else feel that the game is being taken away from ordinary people ?

Guest jambomickey
I just paid 90 euros for my champions league package to watch anorthosis play werder bremen inter milan and panathaneikos in the group stages of the champions league.

This team are probably on a par with Hearts (well probably better than Hearts at the moment), they arent owned by a supposed millionaire , have a stadium the size of Tynecastle and dont feel the need to rip people off.

Contrast that with a friend of mine who has just come back from a visit home to Edinburgh and had to pay an exorbitent price to see what he described as an awful game of football against St. Mirren.

i think the prices at tynecastle are very good to be honest! there's quite a lot i have a go at the present regime for but pricing isn't one of them

chester copperpot
i think the prices at tynecastle are very good to be honest! there's quite a lot i have a go at the present regime for but pricing isn't one of them

I think anything about ?20 is a scandal to watch any football team.

Just IMO, but I hate paying more than ?20

We're ripped off for everything in this country. It's so much cheaper to watch football abroad. Whislt in Brazil I went to a couple of games and paid less than ?5 to get in. It's also cheaper in Germany, paid about ?7 for good seats to watch TSV 1860 M?nchen in Munich (it was about 8 years ago, but still!)

This isnt about having a go at Hearts pricing because I believe any British team would attempt to cash in if they reached the group stages of the CL.

The fact of the matter is that I've always paid less to see Hearts in bordeaux,braga, basle, rotterdam et al than Ive paid to see them at home in europe and I just wondered if maybe british teams arent milking loyalty a bit.

Does anyone else think a scottish team reaching the group stages would take ?20 a game?

Surely comparisons between countries don't really give an idea of whether or not you're getting value for money? In comparison to the other clubs in the same league, Hearts tickets are reasonably priced. How much are standard tickets for Cypriot league matches?

frank skinner

and whats the cost of living in larnaca compaired to edinburgh

Guest jambomickey
I think anything about ?20 is a scandal to watch any football team.

Just IMO, but I hate paying more than ?20

well as i say andy i think pricing at hearts is very good mate! but as always i respect your opinion.

Ogi fae Gorgie

How the devil are you RJ. Still afford the wee luxuries on yer pension? I still have my ST and manage a few wee ones in the MH on mine. Hope you are well. prices are not gonna get any lower I am afraid just up and up hopefully like us. Won't hold my breath on that though. Ogs.

and whats the cost of living in larnaca compaired to edinburgh

larnaca is cheaper than edinburgh but edinburgh is cheaper than switzerland holland france and portugal where it still cost me less to see football matches involving Hearts.

AS I said this isnt just about Hearts prices its about whether or not football is being taken away from the ordinary fan.

Hi Ogie

youve retired??????? how will that mob survive without you???????

Was over in June and they let me into Tynecastle to take a few photies and have a wee greet. I spent my months pension in the superstore.

They wouldnt let me into Fettes in case I stole the paper clips!

In case anyone at Merchiston Hearts is wondering where the "no smoking in the toilets" sign went it has pride of place on the notice board of the UKCA club in Larnaca.

Incidentally the chairman there is an ex colleague but I suspect he's probably a hobo cause he didnt know who Jensen 7 was when I wore my jersey there.

Take care mate.

Hi Ogie

In case anyone at Merchiston Hearts is wondering where the "no smoking in the toilets" sign went it has pride of place on the notice board of the UKCA club in Larnaca.

If anyone in MHSC is looking for witnesses then I can confirm this.

Back on Topic. It' a matter of supply and demand. Clubs will generally sell tickets at prices they believe will maximise their income. This needs to take account of the price tolerance of the supporters. It seems that we in this country are quite happy to pay through the nose. :rolleyes:

If you're happy to sit in the Main Stand, prices are quite low.

Sitting in the Gorgie/Wheatfield is the problem.

The tickets for the 2003 Hearts UEFA cup match in Bordeaux cost 10 Euros.

Their average crowds are similar to Hearts but they operate on another level as far as expenditure is concerned.

It's all about TV money and sponsorship - nothing else matters.

The tickets for the 2003 Hearts UEFA cup match in Bordeaux cost 10 Euros.

Their average crowds are similar to Hearts but they operate on another level as far as expenditure is concerned.

It's all about TV money and sponsorship - nothing else matters.

well as far as sponsorship goes my mate Derek who lives in cyprus brought me back a programme from the st.mirren game he was so disenchanted with.

He suggested we got together and sponsored a reserve team player and got our names in the programme. Apparently it would only cost us ?150 each and we would get their training kit at the end of the season......

After due deliberation (cos we are both too fat to fit into a teenagers training kit) we are off to watch the champions league and spend the rest of the money on beer...........its called market forces I believe.

Guest juvehearts

im going over to see my adopted team oggershiem play in the RDS vs Panderborn in a months time before the winnter shutdown.

the match tickets only cost 4 euros, the flights & accomodation along with car hire was only ?117.

so all in to see an ''away game'' its only costing me about ?120 less the beer!

so football in this country for working family's e.c.t is overpriced.

football now a days is a millionaires play thing, gone are the days of it being the working man's game.

example: ?3 for a program!!!! GTF

example: ?3 for a Fxxing PIE n bovril GTF

with the price of everything going up I can see more & more people being priced out of the game.

Whats not overpriced these days, particulary in Edinburgh as I have had reaffirmed after moving back. Personally I dont find the price of a game out of whack with other things in the area. Been a wee while since I have been to a Euro game away from home so cant really comment on what the prices are but when I compare the prices of a SPL game against say a home Boston Red Sox game ($25 cheapest to $250) then the SPL fairs very favorably.

Maybe not comparing like for like but thought it worth commenting on what punters pay in The States for their sport

Though we played well v St Mirren personally.

Dave, it certainly wasn't as dire as was perhaps made out. We dominated from start to finish and the stats certainly prove that

Jambof3tornado

I dont think the pricing will stop ordinary fans from going,they may have to give up other things to get there though. I dont drink or smoke,so have plenty to spend on following the jambos!!!;)

Is it not cheaper to get a ticket for a CL for Man U,Chelsea or whoever than it is to get a standard EPL ticket for these stadiums ?

im going over to see my adopted team oggershiem play in the RDS vs Panderborn in a months time before the winnter shutdown.

the match tickets only cost 4 euros, the flights & accomodation along with car hire was only ?117.

so all in to see an ''away game'' its only costing me about ?120 less the beer!

so football in this country for working family's e.c.t is overpriced.

football now a days is a millionaires play thing, gone are the days of it being the working man's game.

example: ?3 for a program!!!! GTF

example: ?3 for a Fxxing PIE n bovril GTF

with the price of everything going up I can see more & more people being priced out of the game.

The program is a joke ?3 and you have it read in about a minute.

We're ripped off for everything in this country. It's so much cheaper to watch football abroad. Whislt in Brazil I went to a couple of games and paid less than ?5 to get in. It's also cheaper in Germany, paid about ?7 for good seats to watch TSV 1860 M?nchen in Munich (it was about 8 years ago, but still!)

i paid 300 euros for a Bayern Munich ST in 2002....

i paid 300 euros for a Bayern Munich ST in 2002....

I can believe that. I'm sure I heard someone say on a BBC programme - probably going back to around the same time - that they had paid the equivalent of ?80 for a season ticket for a less stellar Bundesliga club.

Doctor FinnBarr
well as far as sponsorship goes my mate Derek who lives in cyprus brought me back a programme from the st.mirren game he was so disenchanted with.

He suggested we got together and sponsored a reserve team player and got our names in the programme. Apparently it would only cost us ?150 each and we would get their training kit at the end of the season......

After due deliberation (cos we are both too fat to fit into a teenagers training kit) we are off to watch the champions league and spend the rest of the money on beer...........its called market forces I believe.

No, its called going to the pub!

:P

The normal match price for an Anorthosis match is 11 euros, so while 30 euros per game may not seem a great deal for the OP, 90 euros is steep enough to prevent many poor Cypriots from going.

lost in leith
well as i say andy i think pricing at hearts is very good mate! but as always i respect your opinion.

?455 for a ST for a decent seat in the Wheatfield (league games only). Average of over ?23 a game - hardly a bargain.

Guest juvehearts
I can believe that. I'm sure I heard someone say on a BBC programme - probably going back to around the same time - that they had paid the equivalent of ?80 for a season ticket for a less stellar Bundesliga club.

Oggershiem are in the RDS (regional Division South) Blue Square North for example.

they get on average 2500 fans at a home game, they sell about 1700 ST's & that cost in GBP ?92.75.

for me to travel to there from Edinburgh would cost me every week (inc ST) or match ticket........

?122.50 thats for return flights from edinburgh to Bayeruth with Lufthansa, car hire with hertz for 2 days and a B&B outside the ground.

i could eaisly spend that from midday - 6pm on a matchday home or away - thats excluding a match ticket!

The cheapest season ticket for 2008-9 for Internazionale is 145 euro, or about 130 quid currently, I reckon. That's not a concession, thats a full-priced adult ticket for all Serie A games played in the San Siro by the current Italian champions. It's up in the gods, admittedly, and if you wanted to be nearer the action you could pay as much as 5,500 euro to sit within earshot of Jos? [Mario dos Santos Felix] Mourinho , but the low end of the Inter price range does put our cheapest season ticket (?275 in the charming - but also crumbling - Main Stand) rather in perspective no...?

Just for a bit of perspective, how much is a pint in Cyprus? Or a gin?

In Ayia Napa a pint was 3 euros.

Albeit that will be inflated I would imagine.

Archived