Alex Arthur / Amir Khan

Walter Kidd

It was his first fight since he got rid of his trainer aswell was it not? That might of played a part in it.

Who was his opponent - Prescott? Not being a huge boxing fan, I don't follow it closely.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Khan jumped up a class last night and was found out in spectacular style. Watch the second knock down again on Youtube, Khan does not have a scoobie where he is!

A lot of hype around Khan, and there is no doubt he can punch hard and throw fast - but to box with the best in your weight, you need more in the locked than that.

ps

Audrey Harrison is one funny chap.

It was his first fight since he got rid of his trainer aswell was it not? That might of played a part in it.

nothing to do with the fact that khan has absolutely no chin?

good technical boxer,but been put on his arse by the likes of limmond who's not even noted as a puncher.

this was always going to happen we khan stepped up and imo this wasnt even that.

it'll be said that prescott is a new world champion in waiting truth is the guys fought nobodies and this was a step up for him also...doubt he'll have an easier night in his life.

what really cheesed me off was his interview at the end "i made a mistake" no bro as the famous smokey once said "YOU GOT KNOCKED THE **** OUT.... DAAAAMMMMMN"!!!!

You can tell what a whck the second one gave him, absolute jelly legs when he got up!!

I think the first one totally scunnered him though, he just crumpled after getting tagged and got up far too quick.

Quote from Boxing News previewing the fight "If Prescott tries to punch it out, as you imagine the proud colombian might, Khan's extra speed and agility can get him a stoppage victory in the later rounds"

Preview boy you're fired!!

Chad Sexington
You can tell what a whck the second one gave him, absolute jelly legs when he got up!!

I think the first one totally scunnered him though, he just crumpled after getting tagged and got up far too quick.

Quote from Boxing News previewing the fight "If Prescott tries to punch it out, as you imagine the proud colombian might, Khan's extra speed and agility can get him a stoppage victory in the later rounds"

Preview boy you're fired!!

Gutted about Arthur but he was poor, he just never got going and deserved to lose.

Khan? What a load of hype he's been exposed as. I have to admit, I thought he might be a bit "chinny", but I didn't see him taking that kind of quick fire hiding.

Gigalo Aunt did though, as he didn't tire of telling me, over and over again, after the fight last night.

:rolleyes::sleepy:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Not the reason he lost, but the way they binned Harrison was a disgrace. No class Khan, and now no teeth. GTF

Gutted about Arthur but he was poor, he just never got going and deserved to lose.

Khan? What a load of hype he's been exposed as. I have to admit, I thought he might be a bit "chinny", but I didn't see him taking that kind of quick fire hiding.

Gigalo Aunt did though, as he didn't tire of telling me, over and over again, after the fight last night.

:rolleyes::sleepy:

If Michael Gomez, a blown up super featherweight, could knock him down, what chance did he have against a guy with very little skill but 17 KO's in 20 fights?

Good to see Juan Diaz back on the winning trail again

khan is a quality boxer, but he got totally exposed tonight! He has no defence, and got absolutely destroyed by a mediocre puncher.

Can I ask how a fighter with a 90% KO record can be described as a "mediocre puncher"? Simply curious though.

As for Arthur, he looked like he had struggled with the weight once again. I got the feeling, he really didnt care that he was losing or indeed lost judging by the big smiley faces and the talk of meeting up with Cook's family for a meal and a visit to Cook's with his own family. My mate said to me its as if he wanted to lose, so he could eventually get his move to Lightweight, where he should have been 18 months ago. Im not as disappointed as I thought I would have been though. I had a feeling he would lose, especially with his weight problems. No complaints though. Cook thoroughly deserved to win the fight but there is a nagging doubt over Arthur here as if it didnt matter to him.

khan was lucky it lasted as long as it did! (maybe lucky isnt a good word), but if that was any other boxer the ref would have stopped it after the first knockdown, he was nowhere when he got up!

alex arthur didnt even seem interested in his fight, seemed a bit strange asking mcculloch to 'big him up' and to 'give him faith'.

and another great knockout of the night was chuck liddell getting knocked out in the UFC, it was a cracker!

khan was lucky it lasted as long as it did! (maybe lucky isnt a good word), but if that was any other boxer the ref would have stopped it after the first knockdown, he was nowhere when he got up!

alex arthur didnt even seem interested in his fight, seemed a bit strange asking mcculloch to 'big him up' and to 'give him faith'.

and another great knockout of the night was chuck liddell getting knocked out in the UFC, it was a cracker!

Oh **** i never realised the UFC was on this week.

Can I ask how a fighter with a 90% KO record can be described as a "mediocre puncher"? Simply curious though.

Because it is a 90% KO rate from fighting folk who don't have winning records. There have been loads of boxers come out of places like Colombia with seemingly brilliant KO records, but they get found out very quickly. I believe Prescott will be just another to add to that list! Its just that Khan's lack of chin made AK his perfect opponent

Maybe. But he's fought a couple of times outside Colombia and knocked them out too. Khan's chin is still dodgy not matter what some may think. Its was the main topic of discussion in the Sky studio last night. All the experts questioned his ability to take a punch.

Maybe. But he's fought a couple of times outside Colombia and knocked them out too. Khan's chin is still dodgy not matter what some may think. Its was the main topic of discussion in the Sky studio last night. All the experts questioned his ability to take a punch.

Were those guys anything other than American journeymen though?

I still think this was not a difficult opponent for Khan, and it was just Warren handpicking the opponent again to try to protect his prize asset. They took a slight gamble by going for a young puncher with a good record on paper, rather than the usual journeyman, and this was imo just to try and appease the fans by pointing to his "excellent record".

It backfired bigtime, but I think in the long run it could help Khan's career. He should have his ego put in check now, and it should also force him to work extensively on his defence. It is imo better to get beaten early, and be able to work on the flaws, than for Warren to have continued hand picking his fights for another couple of years giving him easy wins, only to be destoyed by one of the stars of the division when he finally faced them

IIRC one was an undefeated Cuban (who had defected) of 20 fights and another a Mexican with a similar record to his own. I dont disagree most of what you have said (eg Colombians etc with dodgy records) but even most of the guys last night reckoned that Prescott wasnt one of those after seeing him fight before.

I agree it may be good for Khan. Most good and even great boxers, get beaten at least once. Its a learning curve but the defence will have to improve and his ring brain will have to sharpen up. I think he may struggle to do both though.

Not sure if that was more fun than watching Audley "A-Force" Harrison geting knocked out about 3 times.

In fact naw. Harrison getting KO'd was much more satisfying because he was a total fan-dan.

The Old Tolbooth
IIRC one was an undefeated Cuban (who had defected) of 20 fights and another a Mexican with a similar record to his own. I dont disagree most of what you have said (eg Colombians etc with dodgy records) but even most of the guys last night reckoned that Prescott wasnt one of those after seeing him fight before.

I agree it may be good for Khan. Most good and even great boxers, get beaten at least once. Its a learning curve but the defence will have to improve and his ring brain will have to sharpen up. I think he may struggle to do both though.

You have to have a brain to be able to sharpen it up in the first place.

The Mighty Thor
"I'm a world beater and I'm going to come back stronger." - Amir Khan - after the fight.

Indeed.

I take it Khan made those comments a good hour after the fight cos he never had a yaz about where he was when he finally got off his arse after the second knockdown.

He looked about as compus mentis as I did last night when I staggered back in at 4am.

He rushed into the fight too quick, he should've known he was facing a puncher and not a boxer and taken his time, eased into the match. Stupid **** went rushing in though and got KO'd for his impatient pleasure.

Hopefully the hype will settle down now though!!

Simple fact is nobody knew anything about Prescott. Warren was no doubt expecting one of those mediocre South Americans with a great record (but in reality no real ability). Unfortunately, for him and Khan this boy actually did have heavy hands.

It has been a longtime coming, and i'm just glad it has finally happened. Khan has been in deep deep water against featherfisted Super Featherweights before. It was as clear as day that his chin was dodgy. Unfortunately, they have run out of hiding places. As he stepped up, he eventually would actually have to fight someone who could really hit back. It happened last night, and he was found wanting...big style.

Frank Warren looked to be raging right after the fight , then in the interview made a point of saying the new trainer had been allowed to pick the opponenet for Khan in this fight. I guess warren is used to guiding his prospects through early bouts to build up the image and myth, so don`t know why he let a brand new trainer have so much sway....think said trainer could be on the dole soon though.

Most interesting point made by anyone after the fight, for me, was Jim Watt when he said something like.....

"you`ve got to wonder whether, up till now, they (warren,khan) have been trying to build a fighter, or an unbeaten record"

Khan has been nothing but hype. Just because he was an impressive amateur and had a good showing in the olympics does not convert into him being a world champion. You only have to look at Audley "A-hole" Harrisons` achievemnets since his olympian feats for proof of that.

Frank Warren looked to be raging right after the fight , then in the interview made a point of saying the new trainer had been allowed to pick the opponenet for Khan in this fight. I guess warren is used to guiding his prospects through early bouts to build up the image and myth, so don`t know why he let a brand new trainer have so much sway....think said trainer could be on the dole soon though.

Most interesting point made by anyone after the fight, for me, was Jim Watt when he said something like.....

"you`ve got to wonder whether, up till now, they (warren,khan) have been trying to build a fighter, or an unbeaten record"

Khan has been nothing but hype. Just because he was an impressive amateur and had a good showing in the olympics does not convert into him being a world champion. You only have to look at Audley "A-hole" Harrisons` achievemnets since his olympian feats for proof of that.

Never realised it wasn't Warren's pick! Probably means Prescott is actually better than I am giving him credit for, as I figured he would just have been another fighter who was hand-picked by Warren to boost his record, and just got lucky due to Khan's glass chin!

Watched the fight again in a more sober state, and Prescott actually looks a much better puncher than I first thought :o

The new lad DeGale who won gold will go the same.He already has the mouth but he has no power in his punches and has also i think been stopped in his amatuer career.You get away with speed alone in the amatuer game but you need more in the pro world.

Never realised it wasn't Warren's pick! Probably means Prescott is actually better than I am giving him credit for, as I figured he would just have been another fighter who was hand-picked by Warren to boost his record, and just got lucky due to Khan's glass chin!

Watched the fight again in a more sober state, and Prescott actually looks a much better puncher than I first thought :o

My mate's brother was asked to fight Khan last night a few months back but when he accepted the offer, Khan's entourage withdrew the opportunity.

The new lad DeGale who won gold will go the same.He already has the mouth but he has no power in his punches and has also i think been stopped in his amatuer career.You get away with speed alone in the amatuer game but you need more in the pro world.

I half agree with you Vegas, with regards to Degale, in so much as he has no power in his punches, but does have speed on his side. The difference i see between Khan and Degale is whenever khan is speaking he has almost sounded as though it was his right to become world champion, right from the beginning.

Now I`m never gonna deny a boxer needs a certain arrogance or self confidence, but Khan should`ve stayed amateur for a wee while longer and not been pressured (or coerced by "advisors") into stepping up.

With Degale, in the limited times i`ve heard him speak, he seems to be much more aware that his style of boxing will need a LOT of work before he can make it as a pro. The push button scoring system in amateur boxing breeds speed but no power and that has been proved in fricken technicolor by Khan`s inability to take a punch.

I half agree with you Vegas, with regards to Degale, in so much as he has no power in his punches, but does have speed on his side. The difference i see between Khan and Degale is whenever khan is speaking he has almost sounded as though it was his right to become world champion, right from the beginning.

Now I`m never gonna deny a boxer needs a certain arrogance or self confidence, but Khan should`ve stayed amateur for a wee while longer and not been pressured (or coerced by "advisors") into stepping up.

With Degale, in the limited times i`ve heard him speak, he seems to be much more aware that his style of boxing will need a LOT of work before he can make it as a pro. The push button scoring system in amateur boxing breeds speed but no power and that has been proved in fricken technicolor by Khan`s inability to take a punch.

I only heard Degale speak once and that was when he reached the semi's and he came across as a loudmouth.Hopefully he takes heed and does not listen to what Khan said in the papers last week about Degale turning pro.It sounded to me that Khans head was turned by money(and you can't blame him)but he said that Degale should now turn pro as well because of the cash.

As soon as i heard about the way Khan and his "Advisors" had dealt with the dismissal of Oliver Harrison i couldn`t help thinking it would cause him problems. The one thing a boxer should do, in my opinion, is have a constant in his coaching staff. Stick with a winning formula if you like.

Not saying he would`ve fared any better with Harrison still in camp, but it seems the team that brought him through is slowly being dismantled. Also this new coach/trainer, Jorge Rubio(?), was supposedly brought in to work on his defensive abilities, didn`t do to well on that showing!

I'm astounded that there's still people on here that are saying Khan hasn't got a glass jaw. Last night aside, he's been floored 3 times due to his inability to absorb a good punch and many ex/current professionals have also stated this to be the case. So it's not as if us dafties are the only people making comments about his jaw.

This is why Khan won't amount to much as all the training in the world can't protect a glass jaw and I suspect he'll be lucky to make the top 20 never mind the top 10 fighters during his peak. Doesn't matter how much SKY and the UK media hype up Khan, it's not going to change the fact the guy isn't ever going to amount to much.

I'm astounded that there's still people on here that are saying Khan hasn't got a glass jaw. Last night aside, he's been floored 3 times due to his inability to absorb a good punch and many ex/current professionals have also stated this to be the case. So it's not as if us dafties are the only people making comments about his jaw.

This is why Khan won't amount to much as all the training in the world can't protect a glass jaw and I suspect he'll be lucky to make the top 20 never mind the top 10 fighters during his peak. Doesn't matter how much SKY and the UK media hype up Khan, it's not going to change the fact the guy isn't ever going to amount to much.

It's not really something you can really improve though either is it.Yes you can tighten up but if you get hit then your still going to fall.

Sky will not be happy as they have just signed him up to a 20 PPV fight deal....not sure many people will pay to see him fight journeymen that he will be fighting next to get his confidence up.

The Mighty Thor

for me that's the most pleasing element of last night, the fact that Sky and that trumpet Warren have just seen their golden goose strangled at the first time of asking. Anyone that paid 15 sheets to watch that last night has more money than sense.

It's not really something you can really improve though either is it.Yes you can tighten up but if you get hit then your still going to fall.

That was the point i was getting at. No amount of training can improve a suspect jaw. yeah, you can defend it better, but against the better fighters at least one jaw smasher is going to connect and when it does, Khan will be KO'd. Lets not forget he's also fighting in one of the most fighter populated divisions, so there's plenty fighters out there that will make mince meat out of the guy.

Poudies make tumblers stronger than Kahns jaw.

Good to see the over confident delusional Arthur go down also. Cant believe he's blaming the ref.

Was an enjoyable evening.

Sky will not be happy as they have just signed him up to a 20 PPV fight deal....not sure many people will pay to see him fight journeymen that he will be fighting next to get his confidence up.

I suspect his next 2 or 3 fights will be free unless he's on the undercard to a higher profile fighter. I agree though, SKY will be spewing but they have no one other than themselves to blame. I genuinely think they should have waited until Khan had fought some one of note before giving him a contract.

Good to see the over confident delusional Arthur go down also.

He didn't even earn his title in the ring. Guzman would have splattered him all over the shop had that fight gone ahead. Health wise it's probably good that he lost as there was talk of him taking on Barrera (even an over the hill Barrera would be too much) or Pacquiao :eek::eek::eek: if he had beaten Cook.

That was the point i was getting at. No amount of training can improve a suspect jaw. yeah, you can defend it better, but against the better fighters at least one jaw smasher is going to connect and when it does, Khan will be KO'd. Lets not forget he's also fighting in one of the most fighter populated divisions, so there's plenty fighters out there that will make mince meat out of the guy.

Agreed.He has been shown up so many times already in his career and he has not fought anywhere near the cream of the crop in his division.He is just another Naz but one thing Naz could take it was a punch and Khan just can't.

I suspect his next 2 or 3 fights will be free unless he's on the undercard to a higher profile fighter. I agree though, SKY will be spewing but they have no one other than themselves to blame. I genuinely think they should have waited until Khan had fought some one of note before giving him a contract.

I agree BlackJAC - Sky will need to take a hit for his next few fights and put him on free to air. Fair play to Warren though for getting the deal for his client in advance of his client getting shown up for how good (poor)he actually is!

I'm just back from Manchester. I was at the fight.

And I can exclusively reveal.... Khan doesn't just have a glass jaw, he has a broken jaw.

My mate was on the flight back up with Alex Arthur and Alex was telling him that when Khan got back in the dressing room they were treating his jaw and they were pretty sure it was broken. If you watch the post match interview again (not to mention the punch on the 1st knockdown) iyou can see it.

It was pretty funny being at the fight and being just about the only people cheering Khan's demise.

I reckon Arthur will go up a weight now. He was struggling to make it which is why I think he looked so jaded.

Cook was definately the busier fighter but he didn't ever look like hurting Arthur. Tactically he played it very well though and really played to his own strengths which is why he managed a points victory.

Going back to my mates chat with Alex... Enzo Calzaghe was ringside and he told Alex that he had him ahead by three rounds and at the end of the fight Cook was apparently telling Alex that he didn't think he'd done enough to win the fight himself and congratulated him on being a great champion.

Personally I thought it was going to be a split decision. The judge that had it at 114-115 was probably about right. The one that had Cook 6 rounds up was having a laugh. I was sitting next to a big grop of Cook's mates and even they thought that was nuts.

It was hilarious ripping the pish out of Fraudley Harrison. He was 1/2 cheered and 1/2 booed when he came out but it was pretty much all booing by the end. He did pretty much no attacking and the Brazillian deserved to win. The score at the end was a joke.

I'm just back from Manchester. I was at the fight.

And I can exclusively reveal.... Khan doesn't just have a glass jaw, he has a broken jaw.

My mate was on the flight back up with Alex Arthur and Alex was telling him that when Khan got back in the dressing room they were treating his jaw and they were pretty sure it was broken. If you watch the post match interview again (not to mention the punch on the 1st knockdown) iyou can see it.

It was pretty funny being at the fight and being just about the only people cheering Khan's demise.

I reckon Arthur will go up a weight now. He was struggling to make it which is why I think he looked so jaded.

Cook was definately the busier fighter but he didn't ever look like hurting Arthur. Tactically he played it very well though and really played to his own strengths which is why he managed a points victory.

Going back to my mates chat with Alex... Enzo Calzaghe was ringside and he told Alex that he had him ahead by three rounds and at the end of the fight Cook was apparently telling Alex that he didn't think he'd done enough to win the fight himself and congratulated him on being a great champion.

Personally I thought it was going to be a split decision. The judge that had it at 114-115 was probably about right. The one that had Cook 6 rounds up was having a laugh. I was sitting next to a big grop of Cook's mates and even they thought that was nuts.

It was hilarious ripping the pish out of Fraudley Harrison. He was 1/2 cheered and 1/2 booed when he came out but it was pretty much all booing by the end. He did pretty much no attacking and the Brazillian deserved to win. The score at the end was a joke.

First bit in bold: Think you mean, he has a broken jaw because its made of glass. Khan will never be a top fighter.... he'd do well in amature because he cant take a punch.

Second bit; You'd think some one would tell Alex to stop before he hurts himself. From the comfort of my front room Cook won easy on points.

The Old Tolbooth

Second bit; You'd think some one would tell Alex to stop before he hurts himself. From the comfort of my front room Cook won easy on points.

That's the way I saw it too, I couldn't believe one judge had it as close as 114-115, I think he must have fallen asleep for a few rounds. The 117-112 scores were right for me.

First bit in bold: Think you mean, he has a broken jaw because its made of glass. Khan will never be a top fighter.... he'd do well in amature because he cant take a punch.

Whilst never really hurting Arthur, would agree that Cook rightly won on points. Thought he pretty much bossed the fight.

Audrey is a big jessie.

Whilst never really hurting Arthur, would agree that Cook rightly won on points. Thought he pretty much bossed the fight.

Audrey is a big jessie.

Alex, as usual, allowed him to boss the fight. I cant remember the last time I thought Alex worked an opponent to the point where he was in control.

Harrison's biggest problem is his fitness. you could see from the way he bossed the final round that he was the better boxer (as he should have been with his extra size) but he doesn't fight like that all the time cos he's not fit enough to keep it up for more than a couple of rounds.

Is there an olypmic medallist curse here? Harrison's career is going no-where, Khan's has been less than spectacular and took a Huuuge hit last night (literally)

No wonder James DeGale is considering staying amatuer until london 2012:eek:

Looking forward to seeing if Frankie Gavin turns pro though, very capable boxer, just needs to fight at the right weight which for him seems to be Welter

Dusk_Till_Dawn
It was a disgrace they had that on pay per view at ?15. I've paid for Lewis vs Hamilton and a couple of other huge superfights but not for a fight with an unproven boxer (Khan) against another guy I've never heard of.

Glad to hear he got defeated. I guess he will be running back to ITV now with his tail between his legs.

???

Archived