What do you personally believe

John Findlay

is the greatest thing you have learnt in your life.

For me it has to be being able to read and write.

John

That when I post things on forums my username appears directly to the left of said post, meaning that I don't have to sign off every single post with my forename.

Fraser

That when I post things on forums my username appears directly to the left of said post, meaning that I don't have to sign off every single post with my forename.

Fraser

That just brought a big smile to my face.

John

I P Knightley

John

Tough one. Reading & Writing are critical to advancement but, at the risk of sounding cheesey, I think it's more important to have learnt how to deal with people; how to make friendships that last and how to identify where to devote your time & energy with others.

If I couldn't read or write, I might still have been able to make something of my life with inter-personal skills. If I didn't have inter-personal skills I'd be pretty much up the creek as far as life advencement went, regardless of my literary skills. I'd've probably ended up working in IT.

(Apologies to all you IT people out there who are, no doubt, well-rounded & fascinating people. I'm just having a big to-do with my IT "support" team.)

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Fraser

That is something to be truly thankful of :P

John

For me, I'd say being able to communicate through using sound and emotion is a far greater achievement than being able to write/read the written word.

I don't mean to sound arsey if that's how it came across.

blondejamtart

I'd have to go with JF on this one and say being able to read and write, because I wouldn't have the job I do if I didn't have those skills. Can't imagine not being able to read or write, to be honest.

How to nod and sound interested when women are prattling on with their usual nonsense.

:biggrin:

43 years old and still to master that one!! :eek:

Sexton Hardcastle

Fraser

ditto that.

Eric

That the majority of people will have no problem surrendering their logic at the drop of a hat if it means they can be part of a flock (religion, cults, materialism, brand loyalty etc) as this makes them feel like they 'belong' and thus allows them to close their minds, it can also be fun to try and debate with these people.

That we are not alone, there is a God who created & loves me

What he said.

Christianity - Making mindless clones with no capacity for individual thought for 2000 years.

:cool:

That the majority of people will have no problem surrendering their logic at the drop of a hat if it means they can be part of a flock (religion, cults, materialism, brand loyalty etc) as this makes them feel like they 'belong' and thus allows them to close their minds, it can also be fun to try and debate with these people.

Whereas someone that lives their life cocooned in a 'what you see is what you get' ideology is more believable?

I'm not religious by any stretch of the imagination, but I find it quite strange that you can call someone else close minded, yet you yourself demonstrate the exact same traits as those you are mocking.

What flock are you part of?

Father Tiresias

Fraser

So, why do so many KBers do it then??

chizzy

Commander Harris
That we are not alone, there is a God who created & loves me

What he said.

Christianity - Making mindless clones with no capacity for individual thought for 2000 years.

:cool:

what they said. :)

Best thing that I have learned is that at all times you should own 2 mobile phones! makes it far harder for your 'official' bird to catch you out ;)

I'm not religious by any stretch of the imagination, but I find it quite strange that you can call someone else close minded, yet you yourself demonstrate the exact same traits as those you are mocking.

In what way? I'll entertain other people's views, especially if they can back them up well.

I'm talking about people who are so indoctrinated into a way of thinking that they won't accept anything else even if the truth is staring them in the face. People who are more interested in saving face, impressing (or keeping up with) other people rather than following logic or their true feelings/opinions. In other words sheep..."you jump off the cliff and I'll follow".

Like the folk on the Titanic who believed everything would be OK, "it's unsinkable."

People who question things are'nt the closed minded ones.

In what way? I'll entertain other people's views, especially if they can back them up well.

I'm talking about people who are so indoctrinated into a way of thinking that they won't accept anything else even if the truth is staring them in the face. People who are more interested in saving face, impressing (or keeping up with) other people rather than following logic or their true feelings/opinions. In other words sheep..."you jump off the cliff and I'll follow".

Like the folk on the Titanic who believed everything would be OK, "it's unsinkable."

Including religion in your list along with the likes of brand loyalty was completely ridiculous as no one, including yourself is in a position to give definitive answers. So labelling someone closed minded over something you yourself don't completely understand, tells me your mind is already closed to the notion that these people may actually be correct. What you're basically stating is anyone that isn't agnostic is a sheep.

I'm still quite open to the idea there is a god or something more than what we see. Religion on the other hand is a human invention that since the start of civilization has been (ab)used to placate people en masse, hence the high levels of hypocrisy amoung both those who teach and follow 'relligious codes'.

I guess reading as it allowed me to read various books that then expand the mind even further. "Handbook of Sex" written over 5,000 years ago in China was probably the most useful (the translated version I should say)

I P Knightley
I guess reading as it allowed me to read various books that then expand the mind even further. "Handbook of Sex" written over 5,000 years ago in China was probably the most useful (the translated version I should say)

...that and Razzle :)

I'm still quite open to the idea there is a god or something more than what we see. Religion on the other hand is a human invention that since the start of civilization has been (ab)used to placate people en masse, hence the high levels of hypocrisy amoung both those who teach and follow 'relligious codes'.

Whilst I agree with you on the modern origins and the misuse of religion over time, no one is really in a position to give a definitive answer on when humans actually adopted the notion that they should seek answers from a spiritual dogma and that I suspect would still come under religion. So to expand a little, no one can really comment on whether religion was initially used to placate people en mass.

Doctor FinnBarr

Being nice and polite to bar staff always stands you in good stead the next time you require a drink (the odd tip also helps).

:toasting:

J.T.F.Robertson

Proof, JKB is but a microcosm of society. ;)

I didn't "learn" this thing, it just happened. But the greatest thing is that everyone loves and admires me.

Therapist.

I didn't "learn" this thing, it just happened. But the greatest thing is that everyone loves and admires me.

Therapist.

Self delusion can be a great thing as well. :)

Anyway, Life is for the living....most of us have a tendency to let it pass us by at times.

Self delusion can be a great thing as well. :)

I bow to your superior knowledge Dave. :)

J.T.F.Robertson
Never to fully trust what people say, only what they actually do.

People say believe half of what you see,

son and none of what you hear

Marvin Gaye

(Whitfield/Strong)

The Mighty Thor
Including religion in your list along with the likes of brand loyalty was completely ridiculous as no one, including yourself is in a position to give definitive answers. So labelling someone closed minded over something you yourself don't completely understand, tells me your mind is already closed to the notion that these people may actually be correct. What you're basically stating is anyone that isn't agnostic is a sheep.

The use of religion and brand loyalty in the same sentence has a certain touch of irony. Religion is the most 'branded' thing on the planet and that branding is the most devisive and destructive thing between the followers of its various 'brands' which as history tells us has generally led huge numbers of the residents of this planet to try to wipe out the other followers over the years.

Oh the most important thing i've learned is to question everything.

The use of religion and brand loyalty in the same sentence has a certain touch of irony. Religion is the most 'branded' thing on the planet and that branding is the most devisive and destructive thing between the followers of its various 'brands' which as history tells us has generally led huge numbers of the residents of this planet to try to wipe out the other followers over the years.

Oh the most important thing i've learned is to question everything.

And what people usually omit from posts such as yours is the vast amount of people who are kept alive by the work of religious institutions and volunteers that provide them with shelter, food and medicine on a daily basis - worldwide.

A child in Africa that is saved from starvation by a WorldVision food bank would precisely be a life saved by religion. When you consider how many such people have been served by religious aid organizations worldwide over such a long period of time, the simple math of it will show that in as far as terms of lives saved and/or lives killed, religion has indeed saved far more people from starvation and disease than it has killed due to religious wars.

Lets also not ignore the fact that without the presence of religion, humans would still have found an excuse to sharpen those spears or roll out those tanks.

being able to curl my fingers round whilst touching my forefinger and thumb on my right hand and also having the ability to place a lock on the bathroom door!!

Being nice and polite to bar staff always stands you in good stead the next time you require a drink (the odd tip also helps).

:toasting:

Crucial life skill! the more you demand to be served, the more they ignore you. It also helps if you can focus on them and say whay you want clearly, otherwise, no service!

Archived