City bid for Berbatov/joins Man. Utd

jamboceej

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rudi must stay
Spurs' Levy saying Man Utd DO NOT have permission to speak with Berbatov.

end of the day when a team like Man Utd comes in for a player there isn't much they can do. Even if they keep Berbatov i doubt he'll be the player he was last year

I don't see why he'd leave Spurs for Man City when the reason he wants to leave Spurs is to play CL fitba. Spurs and Man City are about the same level.

Not for long! Were going places :cool:

I don't think it will matter if City offer 40 million for him,i would imagine Berbatov has a clause in his contract saying he can leave if a certain team offers x amount.

As long as Man U meet that price then that is where he will go even if city offer more.

bilston angel
I don't think it will matter if City offer 40 million for him,i would imagine Berbatov has a clause in his contract saying he can leave if a certain team offers x amount.

As long as Man U meet that price then that is where he will go even if city offer more.

If that was in his contract he would have been at Old T before this I think!

bilston angel
The price may not have been met though.

So you think he may have put a fee of 30m on himself I think not. If he does end up at Old T the Glazers will not be enjoying it one bit having to shell out another 8m if the original offer was 25m as reported.

City cant lose on this one.

If he signs for City - great.

If he signs for the Rags - City's bid meant they had to pay top dollar to get him rather than get him on the cheap as looked likely.

Just like what we've done with Ratboy.

I think Utd and Spurs are squabbling now. :sad:

berbaa.jpg

2023: "There are deals we're chasing and bids we've put in, I don't know how many will come to a successful resolution. It's always difficult on the last day of the window. As for Berbatov, I'd like the chance to speak to him, but I haven't been afforded that opportunity yet. We're in there trying, though."

Man City manager Mark Hughes on BBC Radio 5 Live

Quite a bit of premature pantie wetting going on amongst the City fans on this thread was there not?

If it's not Berbatov it'll be Villa. If not him then Robinho . . . . . . . Salford reds are cacking themselves at the thought. I bet the glory hunting toss*** will be blues within a couple of years if City spend like Chelsea did.

Blue moon

If it's not Berbatov it'll be Villa. If not him then Robinho . . . . . . . Salford reds are cacking themselves at the thought. I bet the glory hunting toss*** will be blues within a couple of years if City spend like Chelsea did.

Blue moon

:laugh:

31 years :smile:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Blue moon

Tell you the difference with Chelsea - they were challenging for honours for several years before Abramovich rolled up. Not even the most blinkered City fan could say the same about your club, whatever happens from here on.

Give them a couple of quid to spend, now they think they'll be challenging for the league :laugh:

You couldn't make that up.

The Real Maroonblood
Give them a couple of quid to spend, now they think they'll be challenging for the league :laugh:

Hearts supoporters can relate to that.

;)

Tell you the difference with Chelsea - they were challenging for honours for several years before Abramovich rolled up. Not even the most blinkered City fan could say the same about your club, whatever happens from here on.

Yeah Chelsea were challenging for honours. But are you saying money can't buy you trophies? If City spend big we can win honours whether we've challenged recently or not :cool:

portobellojambo1

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4078332,00.html

I think they just might have cause to consider themselves amongst the big boys now. These people coming in have real money, they will consider what Abramovich has spent on Chelsea so far as the sort of money they would spend to have a decent night at the pictures* (*translation for our younger users - the cinema complex)

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4078332,00.html

I think they just might have cause to consider themselves amongst the big boys now. These people coming in have real money, they will consider what Abramovich has spent on Chelsea so far as the sort of money they would spend to have a decent night at the pictures* (*translation for our younger users - the cinema complex)

City will need to spend massively to challenge the top 2. Talking a couple of hundred million here.

The likes of Robinho or Villa won't win the league for City, they'll need to start from the bottom and work up.

rudi must stay
Yeah Chelsea were challenging for honours. But are you saying money can't buy you trophies? If City spend big we can win honours whether we've challenged recently or not :cool:

would be great to see that. It's a 4 team league though right now, they make a huge amount from the Champions League and get first pick on all the best players

Dusk_Till_Dawn

No, I'm saying money can buy trophies. But Chelsea were winning trophies back when the Premier League was a relatively level playing field. If tonight you sign Berbatov, Villa, Robinho et al and then win the title (as if), where's the glory in that? You're no better than Gretna

would be great to see that. It's a 4 team league though right now, they make a huge amount from the Champions League and get first pick on all the best players

It sounds like money won't be a major problem. Here's hoping they stick with Mark Hughes and let him build a championship winning side over the next 2 or 3 seasons :)

rudi must stay
No, I'm saying money can buy trophies. But Chelsea were winning trophies back when the Premier League was a relatively level playing field. If tonight you sign Berbatov, Villa, Robinho et al and then win the title (as if), where's the glory in that? You're no better than Gretna

yup, it's also all down to the manager. Mourinho showed he could use the great squad he had to win the title. i doubt Hughes could do that although he is a good young manager

Just because your team got skelped 3-0 off Portsmouth doesn't mean you have to go on a downer with City mate :) Most clubs buy success. Remind me of the last club who didn't spend millions on building a championship winnin side?

Seymour M Hersh
If only we had a rich owner who would put his money where his mouth is.

The money this mob have make Vlad look look like pauper.

On another note...

2050: "AC Milan wonderkid Alexandre Pato spotted outside Celtic Park. Thought to be signing a loan deal. This is what Celtic fans need to get over the unlucky Old Firm result this weekend."

Red&Black-Green&White on 606

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just because your team got skelped 3-0 off Portsmouth doesn't mean you have to go on a downer with City mate :) Most clubs buy success. Remind me of the last club who didn't spend millions on building a championship winnin side?

Name the team who spent ?300m on transfers and still couldn't win 3 in a row.

Seymour M Hersh
This better be a joke :mad:

Why are you going to mess your pants if it's not? Anyway it's nothing to do with your beloved hobos. Are you happy rhat bhoy is back?

portobellojambo1
City will need to spend massively to challenge the top 2. Talking a couple of hundred million here.

The likes of Robinho or Villa won't win the league for City, they'll need to start from the bottom and work up.

I thought they had a fairly decent side under Eriksson, I think they were possibly unsettled towards the end of the season with all the talk going on about the Thai in charge. I would say they will have to start from around middle league and work their way up rather than bottom, but they have the basis of a decent squad there, a few more acquisitions could put them in amongst the top 4 (although I agree with you, it will need more than two individuals).

I thought they had a fairly decent side under Eriksson, I think they were possibly unsettled towards the end of the season with all the talk going on about the Thai in charge. I would say they will have to start from around middle league and work their way up rather than bottom, but they have the basis of a decent squad there, a few more acquisitions could put them in amongst the top 4 (although I agree with you, it will need more than two individuals).

The squad they have is no better than Everton or Spurs. They'd be lucky to finish in the top 6, even with Berbatov.

A new goalkeeper, defence, wingers and forward line and I'd agree. But it would be a case of attracting the players they need.

I guarantee that when a foreign player hears 'Manchester', he automatically thinks of United.

Latest News from SkyNews:

According to James Cooper Berbatov has completed his medical and is now headed to Carrington. He seems to think that United are working against the clock and are trying to obtain as much information as they can without the help of Spurs. They reckon while Berbatov was doing his medical talks 'may' have been going on between United and Spurs.

Most feel in the area that with 3 hours to go Berbatov isn't going to go to anywhere but United, and obviously talk of Campbell being loaned out for 1 season

portobellojambo1
The squad they have is no better than Everton or Spurs. They'd be lucky to finish in the top 6, even with Berbatov.

A new goalkeeper, defence, wingers and forward line and I'd agree. But it would be a case of attracting the players they need.

I guarantee that when a foreign player hears 'Manchester', he automatically thinks of United.

I would tend to agree with that at the moment, however things might just change. Prior to Abramovich arriving at Chelsea their history in the relatively recent past (say around 20-25 years) had been the odd cup win but not a lot else (I haven't checked, but I am sure there are a few posters on here who could correct me if I am wrong). Investment in players, because they had someone who could invest, has changed that, there is no reason yet to believe the same could not happen at Manchester City.

I agree with you that investment has to be throughout the side, they do have a number of decent players but there are definitely positions that could be strengthened (the goalkeeper for example). I think Sean Wright Phillips is a good signing for them, and I reckon if he got offered some cash Mark Hughes would try to prise Roque Santa Cruz away from Blackburn (a player who I never really rated at Bayern Munich, but whom I think has done a really good job for Blackburn, he scored 31 goals in 155 appearances for BM, yet has managed 20 in only 37 appearances for BR)).

I guarantee that when a foreign player hears 'Manchester', he automatically thinks of United.[/QUOTE]

Aye - even Sven thought he had signed for United! He said as much in his 1st press conference. He must have been gutted "Eh, why do we play in blue?"

Post on the BBC

2115: "I'm sure if the Berbatov saga isn't wrapped up by midnight, Fergie can always point to his watch for a few extra minutes of added time."

Aarfy_Aardvark on 606

LOL

;)

I would tend to agree with that at the moment, however things might just change. Prior to Abramovich arriving at Chelsea their history in the relatively recent past (say around 20-25 years) had been the odd cup win but not a lot else (I haven't checked, but I am sure there are a few posters on here who could correct me if I am wrong). Investment in players, because they had someone who could invest, has changed that, there is no reason yet to believe the same could not happen at Manchester City.

I agree with you that investment has to be throughout the side, they do have a number of decent players but there are definitely positions that could be strengthened (the goalkeeper for example). I think Sean Wright Phillips is a good signing for them, and I reckon if he got offered some cash Mark Hughes would try to prise Roque Santa Cruz away from Blackburn (a player who I never really rated at Bayern Munich, but whom I think has done a really good job for Blackburn, he scored 31 goals in 155 appearances for BM, yet has managed 20 in only 37 appearances for BR)).

I don't think SWP or RSQ would really have much part to play in a championship winning team.

SWP can be very inconsistent and if City were to challenge for the Premiership title, they'd need to aim a lot higher than those two.

A couple of wingers like Ronaldo or Joe Cole would have to be signed, along with some very top class defenders and a top notch goalkeeper.

Overall, I don't think City will be a title challenger for a good few years. Even if they were to spend massively, United and Chelsea would still keep spending and I just don't see that gap being closed anytime soon.

portobellojambo1
I don't think SWP or RSQ would really have much part to play in a championship winning team.

SWP can be very inconsistent and if City were to challenge for the Premiership title, they'd need to aim a lot higher than those two.

A couple of wingers like Ronaldo or Joe Cole would have to be signed, along with some very top class defenders and a top notch goalkeeper.

Overall, I don't think City will be a title challenger for a good few years. Even if they were to spend massively, United and Chelsea would still keep spending and I just don't see that gap being closed anytime soon.

Time will tell.

Give it a couple of years :toasting:

Cant see him going to man city. Spurs are a better team than man city, so if he was going any ware it will be man united or he will be stayin a spurs..

Footage of Sir Fergie, Gill and the Berbagod at Old Trafford on SSN.

I seen that, they still have to work out the fee dont they? Could be a big stumbling block considering United apparently offered ?20.5mill and City had a bid of ?30mill+ accepted today.

Archived