Player most worthy of a statue?

Tott

I see from one of the stickys, Fulham fans are trying to raise cash for a statue for Johnny Haynes(worthy cause).

Sellick have also this week,commissioned a ?60k(or close to) statue of Jimmy Johnstone for darkheid.

Plenty of other clubs have a statue of there legends outside there ground.

Even the mighty Carlisle Utd have one outside there stadium,although god knows who he is.But still looks mighty impressive when you drive by.

Weve had plenty of true legends playing for us over the years.

If Hearts ever did get around to erecting a statue,

Who would it be?

Where should it be located?

Dave MacKay, in this pose;

200px-Billy_Bremner_Dave_Mackay.jpg

Top of McLeod Street.

(I know he was with Spurs at the time, but I love the picture, the attitude and he is a worthy legend)

Thunderstruck

I know the Haymarket War Memorial commemorates their sacrifice but I do feel that all other legends pale into insignificance against the lads who signed up en-masses in WW1 are the true Hearts Legends.

Outside the new main stand would be an ideal spot.

Although Dave MacKay was a great unfortunately he wasn't with us for long enough. If we want to commemorate the 50's a statue of the terrible trio would be appropriate, thats not to undermine the other great players we had but they epitomised that era.

Personally I think the Haymarket memorial is appropriate for the 1914 squad.

Anything after that can only be JR and I don't mean our top poser.

Apologies I meant poster.

jamboinglasgow
Although Dave MacKay was a great unfortunately he wasn't with us for long enough. If we want to commemorate the 50's a statue of the terrible trio would be appropriate, thats not to undermine the other great players we had but they epitomised that era.

Personally I think the Haymarket memorial is appropriate for the 1914 squad.

Anything after that can only be JR and I don't mean our top poser.

Apologies I meant poster.

I agree with you about the memorial, think we should rename a stand the McCraes battlion stand.

Would have to be either Willie Bauld, Robbo or Dave MacKay.

Looking at that program with the picture of the King almost brings a tear to the eye. But, I really don't know how Tommy Walker can be missed for such an honor. Was a legend as a player, and led Hearts to the probably greatest years in their history as a manager. Not only from his football connection but was a fine man and a gentleman, an ideal role model.

If you'll forgive an outsiders point of view I'd have to say John Robertson.

Started playing for you in the mid eighties and was part of that team that went so close. He was also in the team that won your first trophy for 36 years...and how many years was that after he made his debut? Excellent striker in the box who was also your manager for a spell...where he did nothing wrong. What about his record against us? I think you'll look back in 20 years time and still regard him as one of your best ever players.

Any hearts fan over 50 I know raves about Willie Bauld etc...but a lot of us weren't there to witness them in the flesh.

If money were no object then Robbo and the terrible trio would be probably be the fans vote in my experience.

Top of McLeod Street.

(I know he was with Spurs at the time, but I love the picture, the attitude and he is a worthy legend)

He'll kill you. He absolutely hates that picture.

For me , Donald Ford for all the ***** he put up with and for staying so long at Tynie.

What about Clum standing nochlantly at the site of an open goal with his gob wide open as per his typical pose? :eek:

:cool_shades:

Looking at that program with the picture of the King almost brings a tear to the eye. But, I really don't know how Tommy Walker can be missed for such an honor. Was a legend as a player, and led Hearts to the probably greatest years in their history as a manager. Not only from his football connection but was a fine man and a gentleman, an ideal role model.

As a "younger" jam tart I say Robbo but taking advice(ie listening to them rave)from older fans I say it has to be Tommy Walker who did it all !!He was manager when we won the cup and the fans were singing "its magic you know its 54 years in a row" :107years::107years::107years::):P

Has to be either Wullie Bauld.. (he is after all the King..)

or

Robbo..

Although when we were discussing the name of the "new stand", my uncle did say it should be the Tommy Walker stand.. (most successful hearts manager ever etc...)...

but for me it either of the two above..

The King of Tynecastle or Robbo, the Ace of hearts...

Take your pick.. There can be only One..

(BTW... Wullie Bauld once carried my grannies washing down the street to the drying green... Incidentally she's also a founder member of the merchie hearts Club.... not names dropping or anything here.. just immensly proud of this wee bit of history...)

personnaly I'm torn...

Charlie-Brown

Tommy Walker for his achievements both as player and manager of the club, 7 major trophies won during his reign.

scott herbertson
Tommy Walker for his achievements both as player and manager of the club, 7 major trophies won during his reign.

Couldn't be anyone else - also the greatest Hearts internationalist, scoring the winner against England, and as someone else has said one of our greatest 'gentlemen' (Donald Ford could contest that title wih him)

King of the North
robb01.jpg

or

Fozzy on the fence

You cant beat a picture of Robbo celebrating - reminds me of being a kid.

I love the wee man - he should have a statue, 50 foot high, beside the Scott monument.

1924284.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A63624C64606BBD9F59930FDCFC4C15FBB

Barney Battles Jr.

My grandmother used to recall stories of the depression in Edinburgh, and one was of her brothers returning to Tolcross from Gorgie singing a song of adulation that contained the words: "Barney Batttles wi the great big googly eyes."

I'd just like to see how the commissioned sculptor captured that.

What about Clum standing nochlantly at the site of an open goal with his gob wide open as per his typical pose? :eek:

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Robbo for me due to my tender years.

The King of Tynecastle or Robbo, the Ace of hearts...

.............or Justin Fashinu, Queen of Hearts ?

I'll get my coat..............

Archie White

There CAN be only 1 player. Hearts' history did not start in the 1950s you know. As the book says:

Robert "Bobby" Walker (born 10 January 1879, in Dalrymple Place, Edinburgh; died 28 August 1930 in Edinburgh) was a Scottish professional footballer, he was the most capped Scottish footballer for Heart of Midlothian with 29 caps until the record was broken in 2006 by Steven Pressley. He held the Scotland national team caps record at various points from 1905 to 1931. If caps are "weighted" to measure the number of games that were possible to play in a season he is number 3 in the all time Scottish caps list. His Scotland career of 13 Years, 1 Month and 3 days places him no 11 in the all time list. He shares the record of 11 Scottish caps versus England along with Alan Morton of Queens Park and Rangers. The record would have been 12 as he played in the Ibrox disaster match of 5 April 1902 which has subsequently been declared unofficial. In addition he won 14 Scottish Football League caps which places him 7th in the all time list.

No other Hearts player can match all these National achievments.

Tommy Walker for me

Agree. The manager during our most successful period in our history. He was also a great player in his day too for Hearts ,Chelsea and Scotland.

One thing I would say, is that for anyone to be considere they should have passed away. That allows fans to judge them for what they were, not just for what they have been so far.

My prefered options ?

Tommy Walker and the Terrible Trio.

Then in years to come (hopefully many years away yet !) John Robertson and Garry Mackay.

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Robbo for me due to my tender years.

It gave me a laugh :tongue:

One thing I would say, is that for anyone to be considere they should have passed away. That allows fans to judge them for what they were, not just for what they have been so far.

My prefered options ?

Tommy Walker and the Terrible Trio.

Then in years to come (hopefully many years away yet !) John Robertson and Garry Mackay.

Gary Mackay you must be f'n joking.

Hearts Heritage

There are only 2 choices. With all due respect to the 'Terrible Trio', John Robertson et al

Hearts have only had 2 players who could be considered 'World Class' i.e. they would have got into the 'Best XI' made up of players in the World of their day

Bobby Walker

Tommy Walker

If I had to choose one it would be Bobby. I was saddened though not surprised when he failed to get into the 'Top 30' when Hearts conducted their 'legends poll' a few years back.

1900-0101.jpg

Marmeladent?rtchen

Im supprised that nobody has said cup winning captain Elvis,,,,,,,,, now let me get that tin hat on!!

Im supprised Vlad has not made his own one,,,,, now let me get in my anderson sheltter!

I was also going suggest Nade,,,,,,, but the cost of metal to make his belly is to high theses days!!! ;-)

Pants Shaton
Im supprised that nobody has said cup winning captain Elvis,,,,,,,,, now let me get that tin hat on!!

I say we start a fund to get a titanium statue of Elvis erected right outside Robbo's Bar.

This is an easy thread.

A statue of the MCrae's Battalion in battle making the ultimate sacrifice.

I say we start a fund to get a titanium statue of Elvis erected right outside Robbo's Bar.

What about a semi sized erection outside the Four In hand?

Top of McLeod Street.

Dave mackay would indeed be worth a statue but not that one the great man hates that photo as it gives a totally false impression of his admirable disciplinary record and style of play

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the "Iron Man" John Cummings, for his services to HMFC both as a player and then as a trainer. A gentleman, a nice guy and a true Jambo.

Hearts Heritage
This is an easy thread.

A statue of the MCrae's Battalion in battle making the ultimate sacrifice.

A worthy but totally wrong choice IMO. There are already 2 memorials to those who fell in WWI, the one at Haymarket and the one at Contalmaison.

1921-2207.jpg

McCraes was not just Hearts players and supporters so the memorials to them has to be bigger than 'a Hearts thing'.

A worthy but totally wrong choice IMO. There are already 2 memorials to those who fell in WWI, the one at Haymarket and the one at Contalmaison.

1921-2207.jpg

McCraes was not just Hearts players and supporters so the memorials to them has to be bigger than 'a Hearts thing'.

What i should of said, was a statue dedicated to Hearts players who lost there lifes in WW1 while fighting in Mcraes battalion. Rather than the whole of MCrae's battalion.

I would position it at the new Haymarket, after its been revamped.

I think as a club we lack behind other clubs when it comes to recognising the players who have helped shape us and given us our history.

If I based this on the player from my lifetime Robbo would win hands down. However, I would like to see a statue of the Terrible Trio standing high and proud right outside the new Tommy Walker stand!

I think as a club we lack behind other clubs when it comes to recognising the players who have helped shape us and given us our history.

Alas, we often take our history and tradition for granted and by doing so generations grow up unaware of the embarrassingly good players who have worn the maroon. Why are the sections within the stands not named more imaginatively? Sitting in the Tommy Walker stand Alfie Conn section has a certain resonance about it; more so than Section G.

Alas' date=' we often take our history and tradition for granted and by doing so generations grow up unaware of the embarrassingly good players who have worn the maroon. Why are the sections within the stands not named more imaginatively? Sitting in the Tommy Walker stand Alfie Conn section has a certain resonance about it; more so than Section G.[/quote']

Good point. I suppose it comes down to how big an interest you take but it worries me the amount of younger Hearts fans i`ve met through work who couldn`t tell you who played for Hearts 20 years ago apart from Robbo and Gary MacKay!

Growing up i always bought any Hearts history books and my Dad always passed on stories of former players, games etc. and it`s built up my knowledge of the club, it also steeps you in it all and helps your attachment.

Graham Thomson

Behind the new main stand.

Willie Bauld. or you could have the terrible trio, in a game like situation, hell i know what i mean .

the stone rose

Good point. I suppose it comes down to how big an interest you take but it worries me the amount of younger Hearts fans i`ve met through work who couldn`t tell you who played for Hearts 20 years ago apart from Robbo and Gary MacKay!

Growing up i always bought any Hearts history books and my Dad always passed on stories of former players' date=' games etc. and it`s built up my knowledge of the club, it also steeps you in it all and helps your attachment.[/quote']

I bet us younger fans are saying the same in 40-50 years time about the "younger" hearts fans at that time.

but in seriousness from the hearts histories that have been posted in recent times has taught me alot i didn't know about our history.

Still Robbo for me though. will probably be my favourite hears player till i die.

I bet us younger fans are saying the same in 40-50 years time about the "younger" hearts fans at that time.

but in seriousness from the hearts histories that have been posted in recent times has taught me alot i didn't know about our history.

Still Robbo for me though. will probably be my favourite hears player till i die.

Im only 34 myself mate!

the stone rose

Im only 34 myself mate!

Just meant there will always be younger fans not up to speed with the history. Just think how little some of these fans will know by that time!!

P.S still 8 years older than me "Old timer" :P

Growing up i always bought any Hearts history books and my Dad always passed on stories of former players, games etc. and it`s built up my knowledge of the club, it also steeps you in it all and helps your attachment.

With familial bonds not as strong, and the art of conversation rapidly being replaced by electronic platforms, the way in which attachments are strengthened will also change. For future generations, a database of media, such as this, will be the means by which they learn of their club's history. What an inspiring if somewhat alarming thought.

I know the Haymarket War Memorial commemorates their sacrifice but I do feel that all other legends pale into insignificance against the lads who signed up en-masses in WW1 are the true Hearts Legends.

Outside the new main stand would be an ideal spot.

AGREE 100% HAS TO BE THE LEGENDS

Archived