Player most worthy of a statue?

Tott

the sections in the wheatfield all have plaques on them with the name of a player and a small description of his acheivements for the club( barney battles) etc.

i don't think the other stands do though.

I think as a club we lack behind other clubs when it comes to recognising the players who have helped shape us and given us our history.

Alas' date=' we often take our history and tradition for granted and by doing so generations grow up unaware of the embarrassingly good players who have worn the maroon. Why are the sections within the stands not named more imaginatively? Sitting in the Tommy Walker stand Alfie Conn section has a certain resonance about it; more so than Section G.[/quote']

ment to quote this in my previous post

IMO one of the obvious people who stand out is Klimek

Have to have real guts and determination to walk out in front of a full hearts stadium and disgrace yourself with how s***e he was.

Fair play to the lad

:rolleyes:

I think my avatar may give me away. Bobby Walker, the greatest player in Europe at the time (therefore the world), cup final's named after him, Kings came to see him and even well after his death he was still regarded as the greatest player ever seen. Apart from those who served with the "battalion" it has to be "Bobby".

Billy the Jambo

I am too young to remember him but it has to be Willie Bauld going by the stories my dad told me about him

WorldChampions1902

Bobby Walker's dedication at Hampden Park Museum. The home of Scottish Football pays tribute to arguably our country's greatest-ever footballer. And still we debate who is Hearts greatest-ever player :rolleyes:

DSC00829-1.jpg

DSC00828.jpg

There are only 2 choices. With all due respect to the 'Terrible Trio', John Robertson et al

Hearts have only had 2 players who could be considered 'World Class' i.e. they would have got into the 'Best XI' made up of players in the World of their day

Bobby Walker

Tommy Walker

If I had to choose one it would be Bobby. I was saddened though not surprised when he failed to get into the 'Top 30' when Hearts conducted their 'legends poll' a few years back.

1900-0101.jpg

scott herbertson
Bobby Walker's dedication at Hampden Park Museum. The home of Scottish Football pays tribute to arguably our country's greatest-ever footballer. And still we debate who is Hearts greatest-ever player :rolleyes:

I wouldn't dispute he was our best ever player. Tommy Walker has a claim on different grounds in that he also contributed to our great period in the 50's as a manager.

Comparing apples to pears and perhaps there would be room for two Walker statues!

WorldChampions1902
I wouldn't dispute he was our best ever player. Tommy Walker has a claim on different grounds in that he also contributed to our great period in the 50's as a manager.

Comparing apples to pears and perhaps there would be room for two Walker statues!

I agree Scott that you are comparing apples with pears.

I also agree with you that Tommy Walker is a true Hearts Great and you may be interested to know that he has his own dedication at Hampden Park.

IMHO Davy Allan has correctly identified the two greatest Hearts players as being Bobby and Tommy Walker.

Hearts have a superb & proud history & as yet, we don't celebrate it the way we should.

Hopefully the new stand will incorporate the appropriate 'celebrations'.

I would be against raising a statue to any 1 player as we have a memorial to many who gave so much that the council want to play move the clock for the trams ( or should that be tramps as it wont go any bloody where I want to go and they all want to go to Leith or Granton. Same smell different post code) The clock at Haymarket sould be moved closer to Tynie, and that's the only Hearts memorial that matters. No goal scorin efforts could ever surpass the sacrafice made.

I would pay money towards a statue for my childhood hero - Mr John Robertson.

"the games not over till the fat striker scores"

Hearts Heritage
I would be against raising a statue to any 1 player as we have a memorial to many who gave so much that the council want to play move the clock for the trams ( or should that be tramps as it wont go any bloody where I want to go and they all want to go to Leith or Granton. Same smell different post code) The clock at Haymarket sould be moved closer to Tynie, and that's the only Hearts memorial that matters. No goal scorin efforts could ever surpass the sacrafice made.

No, No and No the Clock needs to be seen by one and all not just the few who go to the football. That why it is where it is, on one of the main routes out of Edinburgh. It should not be 'out of sight'.

There are several candidates previously mentioned on this thread who would truly be worthy of formal recognition, however, imo not withstanding the War Memorial I'd suggest that anyone who knows Hearts history would go for Tommy Walker.

If I only had one choice, I think it would be Mr Walker.

There's really no debate.

Willie Bauld.

....or Bobby Walker.

Willie Bauld, Tommy Walker and Robbo, a statue of all 3, no matter what others have done even greater non football related things, none have made Hearts fans happier over the years, the haymarket memorial belongs to the heros, tynecastle should belong to the players and fans

I know the Haymarket War Memorial commemorates their sacrifice but I do feel that all other legends pale into insignificance against the lads who signed up en-masses in WW1 are the true Hearts Legends.

Outside the new main stand would be an ideal spot.

Well said. I concur 100/%.

Staues are normally erected to those who have passed on.

Whilst there are several names that could fit the bill, they are still with us (and long life to them). Their time will come. John Robertson, John Cumming are certainly names that should be honoured, at the appropriate time.

If a statue were to be erected at this moment in time, it would have to be Tommy Walker or Willie Bauld (in that order) for me.

gogsfaesydney
Dave MacKay, in this pose;

200px-Billy_Bremner_Dave_Mackay.jpg

Top of McLeod Street.

(I know he was with Spurs at the time, but I love the picture, the attitude and he is a worthy legend)[/QU

Used to be a painting of that hanging on the wall in Buggys [old Eric Browns ] sed to think it was magic

I think that the Man United statues are wonderful. Sir Matt Busby looks on at the Best Law and Charlton statue.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1051910_holy_trinity_statue_unveiled

I would like to see the Duncan Edwards statue one day.

http://www.duncan-edwards.co.uk/statue/index.asp

Stanley Matthews

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1620159.stm

Tom Finney

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/prestontomfin.htm

Bobby Moore

http://www.bobbymooreonline.co.uk/Statue.html

I think that there would be some wonderful candidates for a Hearts statue or statues. No reason why we should not have several - though several bronzes would cost a fortune! Bobby Walker, Tommy Walker, the Trio, John Cumming, Robbo, Gary Mackay, Wallace Mercer all great candidates.

I'm not knowledgable enough on our history but with regards to statues, one of the top statues in Britain has to be the Jack Walker one at Blackburn.

Has to be the ww1 team. And I wouldnt mind if it included players from other team who joined up too.

If it is for an individual, Gary Mackay for me.

Jack Alexander
I'm not knowledgable enough on our history but with regards to statues, one of the top statues in Britain has to be the Jack Walker one at Blackburn.

The Jack Walker statue was cast by the same foundry that I chose to produce the Contalmaison plaques. Black Isle Bronze in Nairn. Best little workshop of its kind in Europe.

http://www.blackislebronze.co.uk

It would have to be Tommy walker for me a credit to the club as a player and as a manger - a true sportsman and a gentleman.

Not being rude, but I think one truly has to look at the question. The normal of course is for us to immediately jump in and nominate out favorite player. I easily could nominate Jimmy Brown, Tommy McSpadyen, Bobby Baxter, and big Tam Mackenzie. But these are my memories, and although all good players for the club, are not in my mind sufficiently memorable enough to be cast for perpetuity.

Bobby Walker, Tommy Walker, Willie Bauld were something special, they are not only retained in the memory of Hearts fans but the names would be recognised by any football fan in Scotland , who knows anything about football, this is what I see as the criteria when it ever comes to making a selection.

John Findlay

Within the new stand. A Heart of Midlothian museum. Within the museum head busts of our famous players from Tom Purdie through to John Robertson.

Entrance to the new main stand can be made through the MacCrae Battalion gates. Where you then pass the Terrible trio statue. !954-1960 would not have happened without them.

John

I know the Haymarket War Memorial commemorates their sacrifice but I do feel that all other legends pale into insignificance against the lads who signed up en-masses in WW1 are the true Hearts Legends.

Outside the new main stand would be an ideal spot.

I agree 100% No 0ther players even come close to these men who gave everything,and are one of the big reasons we will always be proud to saywe support the HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN!

Geoff Kilpatrick

As others have said, the commemoration of McCrae's battalion are in the right spots (and I think every Hearts fan should make a "pilgrimage" to Contalmaison to see the cairn as well). A statue would be inappropriate for them at Tynecastle but some other form of commemoration, like the Munich plaque at Old Trafford, would be far more apt.

So, if we were to have a statue at Tynie there would be the two Walkers as Davy Allan mentioned as candidates, but the only other one for me would be John Cumming as our most decorated player, especially since he gave over 20 years of service to the club.

Looking at that program with the picture of the King almost brings a tear to the eye. But, I really don't know how Tommy Walker can be missed for such an honor. Was a legend as a player, and led Hearts to the probably greatest years in their history as a manager. Not only from his football connection but was a fine man and a gentleman, an ideal role model.

Brilliant post.Mr. Walker epitomises everything that makes us so proud to be fans of our great club.Cmon the Hearts!

I would think there are cases to be made for both Walkers, Willie Bauld, Dave MacKay, John Cumming and John Robertson. And I think thats the problem - there have been many Hearts legends over the years but not one person (certainly in modern times) who is the one player/person/manager who is widely regarded as the face of Hearts like Haynes at Fulham, Bremner at Leeds or Shankly at Liverpool. Maybe Bauld and Robbo come closest. Perhaps we could have one statue at each stand!! - make sure that Dave Mackay is at the School End to scare the opposition!

Hearts Heritage

Bobby Walker was undoubtedly the 'biggest star' ever to play for Hearts. He was one of the first true football stars. He was known throughout the footballi world only Tommy Walker would come close to his renown.

He was 'loved' by the Hearts support and the Gorgie and Dalry community.

He was synonymous with the club from the late 1890s until his untimely death in 1930.

It is slightly sad that more Hearts fans don't know about him therefore I can think of no better reason for there needing to be a statue of him. To restore his position as the greatest Heart of Mid-Lothian player of then all,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Bobby Walker was undoubtedly the 'biggest star' ever to play for Hearts. He was one of the first true football stars. He was known throughout the footballi world only Tommy Walker would come close to his renown.

He was 'loved' by the Hearts support and the Gorgie and Dalry community.

He was synonymous with the club from the late 1890s until his untimely death in 1930.

It is slightly sad that more Hearts fans don't know about him therefore I can think of no better reason for there needing to be a statue of him. To restore his position as the greatest Heart of Mid-Lothian player of then all,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

says it all

Hearts Heritage

Or a joint statue of Bobby and Charlie based on this photo.

1907%20Charles%20Thomson%20and%20Bobby%20Walker%20off%20to%20play%20for%20Scotland%20against%20England.jpg

1907 Charles Thomson and Bobby Walker off to play for Scotland against England

As others have said, the commemoration of McCrae's battalion are in the right spots (and I think every Hearts fan should make a "pilgrimage" to Contalmaison to see the cairn as well). A statue would be inappropriate for them at Tynecastle but some other form of commemoration, like the Munich plaque at Old Trafford, would be far more apt.

So, if we were to have a statue at Tynie there would be the two Walkers as Davy Allan mentioned as candidates, but the only other one for me would be John Cumming as our most decorated player, especially since he gave over 20 years of service to the club.

There should be some form on-going memorial to the team of 1914 and to those players and supporters who made the final sacrifice. A plaque would be a fine tribute to them, however, I've aways felt that there should be some sort of service of commemoration at Tynecastle on a match day on the Saturday nearest to November 11th. The doors should be opened half an hour early to allow Hearts supporters into the ground for a service of remembrance. This would act as a real education for youngster of the significance of act of volunteering made by those who left Hearts to go to war and should further their pride in the club and it's reputation. The torch would be symbolically passed on to them as John McCrae put it.

Hearts Heritage
..... however, I've aways felt that there should be some sort of service of commemoration at Tynecastle on a match day on the Saturday nearest to November 11th. ......

Or Hearts should always have a 'home' fixture on memorial Sunday weekend. The game gets moved to the Sunday and all the fans and players attend the Service at 11 PM as happened last year.

Or Hearts should always have a 'home' fixture on memorial Sunday weekend. The game gets moved to the Sunday and all the fans and players attend the Service at 11 PM as happened last year.

Yep, just as good an idea - though with the "tram" disruption that Haymarket is going to suffer over the next couple of years, is the Hearts memorial going to be in place for these services - if not then surely Tynecastle is the place for such a remembrance ceremony to take place - on the pitch that graced probably the finest team ever that Hearts produced.

Got to be Bobby Walker without doubt the greatest Hearts player of all time and still our record cap holder all these years later!

Think the new main stand should be named after Tommy Walker though!

WorldChampions1902
Got to be Bobby Walker without doubt the greatest Hearts player of all time and still our record cap holder all these years later!

Think the new main stand should be named after Tommy Walker though!

Sorry to be 'picky' but Steven Pressley eclipsed Bobby's Hearts record just before he left Tynecastle.

Got to agree with your sentiments that BW was Hearts greatest-ever player though. Click on the link and enjoy!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bkhNFvg_fu0

To date there is only one Hearts player who has been depicted on a statue.

You would have to go to Norway to see it though (or visit London Hearts)

Paisley Jambo
Within the new stand. A Heart of Midlothian museum. Within the museum head busts of our famous players from Tom Purdie through to John Robertson.

Entrance to the new main stand can be made through the MacCrae Battalion gates. Where you then pass the Terrible trio statue. !954-1960 would not have happened without them.

John

Good thinking. Although sadly Vlad would probably have issues.

A small shout for Wallace coming to the club's rescue.

Not for a statue or anything like that, just a minor recognition.

The statue at Carlisle is Hugh McIlmoyle, in case anyone's interested. :cool:

Was interested actually.

Passed it a few times now.

Everybdy who drives in and out of Carlisle cant fail too see it.

Gorgie should be the same.

Booby Walker,Tommy Walker,Wullie Bauld.

Whoever it may be,should there for all passing through gorgie to see.

Archived