Cat allergies?

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

Does anyone have a cat allergy on here?

We bought a kitten on Tuesday and I'm currently sitting through in the back room which is converted into an office because any time I go near the moggy, I cant breathe and I start panicking a bit.

Does anyone know of anything that you can take so I can keep the cat, or does he have to go? :sad:

My Doctor reckons I have an allergy to my cats and that the only real solution is to get rid.

My symptoms are not as bad as yours I just puffy eyes if the cats sit on my knee or are close to me. I also get the same from cut grass so taking hayfever tablets help my eyes whatever is causing them to go red and horrible.

I dont want to get rid of my cats so my advice is you just dont get that close to yours.

The Old Tolbooth
My Doctor reckons I have an allergy to my cats and that the only real solution is to get rid.

My symptoms are not as bad as yours I just puffy eyes if the cats sit on my knee or are close to me. I also get the same from cut grass so taking hayfever tablets help my eyes whatever is causing them to go red and horrible.

I dont want to get rid of my cats so my advice is you just dont get that close to yours.

Cheers Yvonne, but it's a bit ridiculous when I cant even be in the same room as him for any more than 10 minutes and I feel my airways closing up, I also have a chest infection and asthma which isn't helping.

I'm wondering if the chest infection thing is magnifying the problem and once I get rid of it, will I be a lot better with the cat. It's gonna be a sore one getting rid of the poor wee mite.

Everybody loves Baz

We bought a kitten on Tuesday and I'm currently sitting through in the back room which is converted into an office because any time I go near the moggy, I cant breathe and I start panicking a bit.

Does anyone know of anything that you can take so I can keep the cat, or does he have to go? :sad:

Flush the cat down the bog.:o

Jack Torrance

Cats are a waste of skin. Get a Dug, at least it might like you now & again. It won't turn up with a mouse or bird & you won't have angry neighbours complaining it's **** all over their Hyacinths.

You can probably tell I have a Dog & am allergic to Cats. My eyes get puffy & I come out in a rash. Doesn't sound as extreme so maybe you're just allergic to something or someone else.

If you really do want to keep the cat & are looking for something to take, can I suggest taking down the number of a good Taxidermist...

Hope this helps:)

Flush the cat down the bog.:o

No, this is bad advice!

This is a business opportunity for John.

Auction said cat to the highest bidding local chinese take-away. And don't buy chicken-fried rice from the winning bidder for a few weeks...

Joking apart John, the chest infection will definitely be making what is probably a minor allergy worse. Stay clear of the cat till the chest infection has resolved, and then make a judgement.

Heard about your recent hospital visit and wish you well.

Don't know your medical situation but if it's similar to mine then the cat may have a lifeline !

Used to have a cat/dog allergy and was forced into looking after two mogs whilst their owners split up. Murder at first - the poor mogs had to be locked in a room whilst I was about, however after a week or so, things started to improve.

12 years later the cats are still here and they don't affect me at all. I've heard on good medical authority,it's fairly common to build up resistance via exposure to the things you're allergic to. Even remember reading somewhere there's people who roll around naked in nettles and flowers each spring to overcome their hay fever allergies. :eek: Maybe that's taking things too far.

Anyhow..speak to your GP but maybe give the cat a few more days before looking out the boulders & mail sacks.

It should calm down a bit once your system gets used to having the cat around. In the meantime, stay away until your chest infection clears up, then gradually increase your exposure to the cat. Get some antihystamines - an own-brand containing whatever the active ingredient in Clarityn is.

Cats are great. Stick with it and you'll get a lot of love back - don't believe what anyone tells you in the usual dogs v cats debates.

But then again, I am a future funny old cat lady.

The Old Tolbooth
No, this is bad advice!

This is a business opportunity for John.

Auction said cat to the highest bidding local chinese take-away. And don't buy chicken-fried rice from the winning bidder for a few weeks...

Joking apart John, the chest infection will definitely be making what is probably a minor allergy worse. Stay clear of the cat till the chest infection has resolved, and then make a judgement.

Cheers mate, I think that's what I'll do, and also the anti hystamine advice could work wonders, fingers crossed as I don't want to have 2 ladies crying and blaming me!

chester copperpot
Cheers mate, I think that's what I'll do, and also the anti hystamine advice could work wonders, fingers crossed as I don't want to have 2 ladies crying and blaming me!

John, with your asthma, I'd defo get rid of the cat if you're allergic to it. The wee man's ashthmatic like you, and whenever he goes near a cat, he's in hospital half the time.

The sister has cats, and whenever we stay over there, she has to strip his bed, hoover the whole hoose top to bottom, and we must fill him up with piritin.

We could not have a cat permanently in the hoose.

Guest S.U.S.S.

John ya big puff!

Its a kitten!

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:)

chester copperpot
Your allergy to pussies certainly helps explain the boys night in you had with Chester C the other week.:eek:

Hoi, I'm a ladyboy, so if he closes his eyes and thinks hard enough. :rolleyes:

your allergies will lessen fairly quickly over a week or two. antihistamines are the way to go, plus you can get wipes for the cats that look pretty much like big wet wipes - it effectively gives them a wee bath and removes the allergen for a few days - the added bonus is that they really like it too.

a HEPA filter hoover used regularly will go a long way too.

i couldn't breathe for about 2 weeks after i got my cats from Yvonne, but have no hassles at all now.

The Old Tolbooth
John ya big puff!

Its a kitten!

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Cheers, I feel oh so much better now :wacko:

Your allergy to pussies certainly helps explain the boys night in you had with Chester C the other week.:eek:

Hey, that's different as I was the giver! ;)

Hoi, I'm a ladyboy, so if he closes his eyes and thinks hard enough. :rolleyes:

Did you have to mention anything about being hard enough? :eek:

your allergies will lessen fairly quickly over a week or two. antihistamines are the way to go, plus you can get wipes for the cats that look pretty much like big wet wipes - it effectively gives them a wee bath and removes the allergen for a few days - the added bonus is that they really like it too.

i couldn't breathe for about 2 weeks after i got my cats from Yvonne, but have no hassles at all now.

Cheers mate, very sound advice, I'll deffo try that out. I would really like to keep my wee pussy happy ;)

Jeez For someone who'se short of breath you seem to be able to have a conversation with 4 people at the same time. I take it your back to your old self.

chester copperpot
Jeez For someone who'se short of breath you seem to be able to have a conversation with 4 people at the same time. I take it your back to your old self.

I bet he's had a sizzlers tonight likes.

Wont help him sleep, but jeez, it'll fill the girth that surrounds him. ;)

portobellojambo1

Do the sensible thing John. The next time Linda is out of site stick a very small blob of plastic explosive up kitty's ersehole, and the next time it goes for a s h i t in someone elses garden it will make its own way to heaven by express delivery. Saves on vets bills as well.

The Old Tolbooth

I just sussed out this multi quote thing today and find it much easier to reply, so in my "near death" state I'm finding it doesn't give me nearly as much to do ;)

I bet he's had a sizzlers tonight likes.

Wont help him sleep, but jeez, it'll fill the girth that surrounds him. ;)

I had a kickbacker round my house tonight fixing something for me and he said you were WAAAYYYYYYYYYY bigger than I was mate (bigger as in fatter) and that has really cheered me up no ends :D

The Old Tolbooth
Or just accidentally sit on it.

Far too messy, Iain's suggestion is far more interesting :)

I had a kickbacker round my house tonight fixing something for me and he said you were WAAAYYYYYYYYYY bigger than I was mate (bigger as in fatter) and that has really cheered me up no ends :D

I have a picture of Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks in my mind.:eek:

The Old Tolbooth
I have a picture of Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks in my mind.:eek:

:laugh:

Andy was both of them! :whistling:

chester copperpot

Kill the wee fecker. Run it over and pick it up, put it on the local chinese takeaway's and tell them thats the last time you do them food.

Cheers Yvonne, but it's a bit ridiculous when I cant even be in the same room as him for any more than 10 minutes and I feel my airways closing up, I also have a chest infection and asthma which isn't helping.

I'm wondering if the chest infection thing is magnifying the problem and once I get rid of it, will I be a lot better with the cat. It's gonna be a sore one getting rid of the poor wee mite.

Bad news I'm afraid. I've got asthma aswell and the main allergy for me is cats. I think its something in the fur, it just goes for my lungs aswell, feels like my throat is closing up, very bad stuff.

I only found out I had asthma was when we got a cat when I was a lad and the symptoms started

The Old Tolbooth
Have you considered shaving the cat?

bald_cat.jpg

I just got a slap from Linda for saying that it wasn't quite the shaved pussy I had in mind :P

I just got a slap from Linda for saying that it wasn't quite the shaved pussy I had in mind :P

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Very good John, very good.

I have always had a cat or dog for as back as i can remember.

Never had any probs with dogs

I have asthma and have had problems with cats but not all cats.

Sometimes breathing difficulties and rashes.

I think its quite a well known fact that cats can trigger asthma and associated illness.

Get rid if its hospitalised you.

All the best.

We had 2 cats for 10/12 years and only in the last few years i started to develop chest/asthma problems. Got to the stage were i had to get the preventor puffer thing from the docs which definitely helped. It did seem to come and go and definitely worse when i had a cold/chest infection.

When we moved overseas we had to give them up and have never had any problems since. Only issue now is that if we settle here and buy a place, first thing the wife wants is another cat! But what we'll probably do is restrict the places in the house it can roam.

It's a pain as I like cats too.

Chip Douglas

I've got a dug and 3 cats and of course, it goes without saying, I have a fairly substantial asthma affliction. I have a different coloured inhaler for each day of the week.

Nevertheless, you'll probably build up an immunity over time. Once the chest infection passes, see how you go but don't put the wee blighter on the street just yet.

Jack Torrance

Good call - Simply hoover the cat up. Problem solved.

CatAndVacuumCleaner.JPG

strangely enough, more often or not its a protein in cats saliva most people are allergic to which gets on the coat when the clean themselves

Archived