do we need a new holding midfielder

jambojambo

We_are_the_Hearts
I would like someone with the power and workrate of Brellier as well as Jonsson in our midfield.

As long as they were more discpiplined and a better tackler than Brellier. The ability to pass and contribute more as well. Brellier was limited as has been shown since he left. Cult hero more than genuine class.

Kingston, Aguiar, Palazuelos & Jonnson all think of themselves as DMs so nope I dont think so

There is no danger that any of Kingston, Aguiar, Palazuelos are defensive minded players.

We already have congestionin the squad for that position.

Aguir is still to come back and he'll be like a new signing for us!

We have enough midfielders, just short of one quality striker IMO

And possibly a RB!

Chad Sexington

It's looking increasingly like Csaba doesn't fancy any of our DM's

He knows what will work best in the system he wants to play so I suppose we'll just have to trust his judgment. After all, he sees these guys in training every day.

He knows what will work best in the system he wants to play so I suppose we'll just have to trust his judgment. After all, he sees these guys in training every day.

I agree with this.

My view of our midfielders are that they are quietly competent without being anything outstanding.

Whatever people say about Brellier's shortcomings it is a position in the team that has not been resolved since his departure.

IMO a good holding / defensive midfielder should be the type of person you miss if he isnt in the team. We have no such player.

Ryan Gosling

I think he sees Eggert as a defender, possibly a right back.

Stewart is an attacker, Ruben 'wants to attack', Bruno is a playmaker not a holding midfielder.

Karipidis is bizarrely as close to one as we have.

There is no danger that any of Kingston, Aguiar, Palazuelos are defensive minded players.

Disagree with that Coco.

Aguiar likes nothing better than giving a sideways pass. Palazuelos is more comfortable taking the ball off the back four and moving it on to someone else go forward with. On this seasons performances, I'm not sure where Larry would be best suited.

Chad Sexington
I agree with this.

My view of our midfielders are that they are quietly competent without being anything outstanding.

Whatever people say about Brellier's shortcomings it is a position in the team that has not been resolved since his departure.

IMO a good holding / defensive midfielder should be the type of person you miss if he isnt in the team. We have no such player.

Definitely.

I think Brellier was over-rated by a large section of our support and picked up way too many bookings.

But we lack that kind of player now. An "enforcer" who breaks up opposition attacks and snuffs out opposition players before simply shuffling the ball on to our more creative players.

We need a nasty bast**d in the team basically.

Disagree with that Coco.

Aguiar likes nothing better than giving a sideways pass. Palazuelos is more comfortable taking the ball off the back four and moving it on to someone else go forward with. On this seasons performances, I'm not sure where Larry would be best suited.

Surely the main role of a defensive midfield player is to break up the opposition's game and then to start attacks off when they get the ball?

None of Kingston, Palazuelos or Aguiar have any interest in tackling or shadowing the opposition. Palazuelos and Aguiar are immobile but not defensive players. They give no cover at all to the defence.

Drylaw Hearts

Stewart is an attacker, Ruben 'wants to attack', Bruno is a playmaker not a holding midfielder.

I like the idea of EJ as a RB.

I like the idea of EJ as a RB.

He played well against Barcelona as a centre half I think?

He has the physical attributes to be a good defender.

Ryan Gosling
He played well against Barcelona as a centre half I think?

He has the physical attributes to be a good defender.

Well he has experience of it. I think he played every position bar goal in the U19s.

Csaba mentions he wants to use Eggert as a right back in the press conference. Makes sense really.

Eggert has a lot of energy and I don't see him being an out an out defensive midfielder but a more all round central midfielder.

Again with Ruben, he likes to get the ball down, play passes, keep it simple much like Barry Ferguson or Kevin Thomson. Neither of them are defensive midfielders in my opinion.

By definition I think Csaba wants a player in the infamous "Makelele" mould.

Well he has experience of it. I think he played every position bar goal in the U19s.

Csaba mentions he wants to use Eggert as a right back in the press conference. Makes sense really.

A transition I'd be interested to see.

He's clearly trained in that position for part of the season so far.

Shouldnt he have played their in the reserves to try him out?

Hungry Heart

I have mentioned this to a few people I have spoken to who can't fathom why either Palazuelos or Jonsson are not in the team ahead of Karipidis.

My theory goes, that Csaba is looking for a player that can get the ball down and pass it, but is also really strong defensively. Not so much a "holding" midfielder, but a literal defensive midfielder.

By that I mean, the player can slot into say, a centre half position, very easily. From the start Csaba has wanted the centre backs to come out more often, play one-twos, pass and move. Zaliukas has performed the role fantasticaly might I add.

However, when Zaliukas does make runs and passes he ends up in the opposition box waiting for a cross - meanwhile Karipidis is back alongside Berra. If any break is made, we have a ready made centre back pairing easily able to deal with any counter attack.

I personally love this tactic as the opposition players don't know who to pick up when Zali runs out and once the pass is made we have a tall man great at headers in the box waiting for a cross, all the while Kari and Berra can sponge up any mess that might fall out.

Broxburn Jambo

I think that we are confusing the descriptions

BRELLIER ----- destructive midfielder eg break up oppostition moves.

A holding mid fielder is there to create time for his team to move into position.

It is very unusual to find a player who can do both roles, off hand the only one I can think of is Paul Scholes at man U.

IMO we do.

Jonsson is not ready and Karapidis is a CH.

karipidis for right back and stick ruben or eggert in DM. if we have a dm it gives stewart the freedom to push forward

IMO we do.

Jonsson is not ready and Karapidis is a CH.

I agree. I like Jonsson a great deal and he has a muture head for one so young, however the HM role is a big one and I think he is just too young...

Karapidid is ok, but he isn't the answer. So, yes I agree, we do need a new player for that position.

Broxburn Jambo
karipidis for right back and stick ruben or eggert in DM. if we have a dm it gives stewart the freedom to push forward

Who is going to get the ball to him?

Surely the main role of a defensive midfield player is to break up the opposition's game and then to start attacks off when they get the ball?

None of Kingston, Palazuelos or Aguiar have any interest in tackling or shadowing the opposition. Palazuelos and Aguiar are immobile but not defensive players. They give no cover at all to the defence.

Agree completely. I think Hearts need a nasty b*****d midfielder (as nicely put in the previous post!) probably as much as they do a forward to be honest. All of our midfielders are fairly lightweight.

I think that we are confusing the descriptions

BRELLIER ----- destructive midfielder eg break up oppostition moves.

A holding mid fielder is there to create time for his team to move into position.

It is very unusual to find a player who can do both roles, off hand the only one I can think of is Paul Scholes at man U.

In a much lower league to Scholes, but still competent at it IMO - Sevvie?

Who is going to get the ball to him?

well ruben or jonsson, whoever plays the def mid role which karipidis played. that way ruben would get a game, and he should because he was good last season and consistently produced good performances nearly every week. he said in the evening news he would leave if he didnt get a game and we cant afford for a player like him to leave.Therefore put thomson on the bench and karipidis at rb because karipidis is also a defender and can play right back so surely thats an obvious choice.

somebody who sits in front of the back 4 alowing the rest of midfield to push forward or full backs as they will cover. Also they wont push up and attack.... thats what i think anyway

I would've thought other areas needed strengthened first before there! Right-back, left-back, centre-half and upfront, Jonsson does a good job in there and Aguiar & Palazuelos are quite capable of playing in there if needed.

somebody who sits in front of the back 4 alowing the rest of midfield to push forward or full backs as they will cover. Also they wont push up and attack.... thats what i think anyway

More techno-babble.

I would've thought other areas needed strengthened first before there! Right-back, left-back, centre-half and upfront, Jonsson does a good job in there and Aguiar & Palazuelos are quite capable of playing in there if needed.

obua left back, karipidis right back and if ruben impresses tonight him in midfield, if jonsson does well at rb then he will play there with kari in the mid

Kari has consistantly got good scores in JKB player ratings for his performances in midfield. I counted at the weekend and he only hit 2 bad passes.

I fully understand why Csaba plays him there but I also understand why he may want a new face. He wants the team to play HIS way - not the way it played last season. So Eggert to right back (could be a very good move) and leave Ruben as cover for a very efficient Kari.

:107years:

Kari has consistantly got good scores in JKB player ratings for his performances in midfield. I counted at the weekend and he only hit 2 bad passes.

I fully understand why Csaba plays him there but I also understand why he may want a new face. He wants the team to play HIS way - not the way it played last season. So Eggert to right back (could be a very good move) and leave Ruben as cover for a very efficient Kari.

:107years:

totally agree with that, but i would play ruben put kingston out wide as chesny was pretty bad and should of scored when he got on vs st midden and miko does well coming on, except rangers. so a midfield of driver ruben kari stewart kingston

jambos are go!

You've hit the nail on the head from what I've heard.

Chris Benoit
I have mentioned this to a few people I have spoken to who can't fathom why either Palazuelos or Jonsson are not in the team ahead of Karipidis.

My theory goes, that Csaba is looking for a player that can get the ball down and pass it, but is also really strong defensively. Not so much a "holding" midfielder, but a literal defensive midfielder.

By that I mean, the player can slot into say, a centre half position, very easily. From the start Csaba has wanted the centre backs to come out more often, play one-twos, pass and move. Zaliukas has performed the role fantasticaly might I add.

However, when Zaliukas does make runs and passes he ends up in the opposition box waiting for a cross - meanwhile Karipidis is back alongside Berra. If any break is made, we have a ready made centre back pairing easily able to deal with any counter attack.

I personally love this tactic as the opposition players don't know who to pick up when Zali runs out and once the pass is made we have a tall man great at headers in the box waiting for a cross, all the while Kari and Berra can sponge up any mess that might fall out.

Absolutely spot on in my opinion and don't think there's another player in the squad apart from Karapidis who can play that position!

Other thing i've always thought that Palazualos flatters to deceive, too slow to move the ball on, gets caught in possesion and offers very little going forward but seems to suffer from the Brelliers where everyone has convinced themselves he's a superstar

Hungry Heart
Absolutely spot on in my opinion and don't think there's another player in the squad apart from Karapidis who can play that position!

Agreed.

I do like Palazuelos, Jonsson and Aguiar, I just feel in Csaba's method of playing, they are central midfielders - not the managers definition of a defensive midfielder, IMO.

Nice.

Archived