the apprentice saga

eddie fenwick

eddie fenwick

im now on my 4th apprentice in a year,first one wanted to start stealing from jobs,2nd knew better than me,3rd left after after getting his 16 year old bint up the duff and decided he wanted to be a joiner,now the 4th is on his last legs as he doesnt speak to anyone(in 6 or 7 weeks he hasnt started a conversation) and it doesnt make it a good place to work in,is it just me getting old(er) or are all young laddies the same

coppercrutch
im now on my 4th apprentice in a year,first one wanted to start stealing from jobs,2nd knew better than me,3rd left after after getting his 16 year old bint up the duff and decided he wanted to be a joiner,now the 4th is on his last legs as he doesnt speak to anyone(in 6 or 7 weeks he hasnt started a conversation) and it doesnt make it a good place to work in,is it just me getting old(er) or are all young laddies the same

Nope, Britain, and Scotland in particular is going to ****.

Start a TV show, set the candidates tasks, fire off one by one, get daft mugs like me hooked on it, be stinky rich.

Easy.

eddie fenwick
Start a TV show, set the candidates tasks, fire off one by one, get daft mugs like me hooked on it, be stinky rich.

Easy.

nice idea,wattie youre fired:p

Sadly its a fact of life, that most people who leave school and become apprentices are there because their thick/****/generally inept at society

The guy you have now may be quiet but is that preventing him doing his job, if not maybe you should persist, im sure once he knows the folk and job etc he will change

It cant be easy at 16/7 becoming a labour intensive role with guys a lot older and knowledgable

I know it was an issue at my work, especially as my role is more up the scale than many of them

It can be quite hard integrating with old feckers, especially if you in the future need to order them to do things:rolleyes:

Or maybe he is just a jakeball and doesnt want to tell you he spent the weekend banged up for mugging an old wifie:)

eddie fenwick
Sadly its a fact of life, that most people who leave school and become apprentices are there because their thick/****/generally inept at society

The guy you have now may be quiet but is that preventing him doing his job, if not maybe you should persist, im sure once he knows the folk and job etc he will change

It cant be easy at 16/7 becoming a labour intensive role with guys a lot older and knowledgable

I know it was an issue at my work, especially as my role is more up the scale than many of them

It can be quite hard integrating with old feckers, especially if you in the future need to order them to do things:rolleyes:

Or maybe he is just a jakeball and doesnt want to tell you he spent the weekend banged up for mugging an old wifie:)

ive really tried with him prancer but when you say morning and all you get is a grunt its kind of ends up getting to you after a while,when you work mates with someone esp the building trade a kind of working relationship must be present(not in a hibby gay way)its just not happening

if all your getting in the morning - is a grunt - that could be an idication that hes not to happy - and the last thing you'll want is him not turning up or leaving.

maybe speak to him about it- not in an interigation way! haha.

i was an apprentice for about 2 weeks and unfortunatly had to give it up as my boss moved away - now im working in the bank, at a computer screen all day-what i would give to go back to being an apprentice!

Youngsters today.

maybe he just dosnt want to talk to you....Or could just be a quiet person... i dont talk much at work, but only cos im hard at work :rolleyes:

im after an apprenticeship if it goes tits up. got a wee bit knowledge of plastering. my brothers one, always help him when hes doing homers. can you let me know if anything comes up eddie.

eddie fenwick
All these apprentices leaving, and the one thing they all have in common is their boss ! :P

whom as you know is a really nice placid guy;)

jack D and coke
Sadly its a fact of life, that most people who leave school and become apprentices are there because they're thick/****/generally inept at society

Little bit of a broad generalisation there matey is it no?

I'm in the building trade and yes i've encountered some demicks over the years but by the same token met some really intelligent switched on guys that make more money than most office types could only dream about.

Believe me i've been an employer in the past and these laddies get a chance in the trades because you dont need academic qualifications only practical savvy. They get emptied quick smart.

Hence why the polish invasion to a lot of employers has been a godsend. They at least have a bit of hunger. I thought in the beginning they were stealing our jobs but it's the opposite they're filling positions and in my experience are great workers.

Have a word with yourself prancer. Of course some people get into the trades because they can't get into uni, but A few of my age group got apprenticeships despite having sufficient highers to go to uni. Were all doing pretty well now for a bunch of thick inept bams.

My mates working in Aberdeen on price work and earning upwords of ?1500 a week, I'm self employed fitting bathroom suites and making pretty good money and another mate of mine is a self employed joiner who just bought a brand new bmw convertable. Not bad for a bunch of 23 year old losers.

Eddie, I know hughsie was looking for a trade as he contacted me about potenial work. Might be worth a pm.

eddie fenwick
Have a word with yourself prancer. Of course some people get into the trades because they can't get into uni, but A few of my age group got apprenticeships despite having sufficient highers to go to uni. Were all doing pretty well now for a bunch of thick inept bams.

My mates working in Aberdeen on price work and earning upwords of ?1500 a week, I'm self employed fitting bathroom suites and making pretty good money and another mate of mine is a self employed joiner who just bought a brand new bmw convertable. Not bad for a bunch of 23 year old losers.

Eddie, I know hughsie was looking for a trade as he contacted me about potenial work. Might be worth a pm.

tried but never got reply,think someone mentioned that he had went back to school

I generally find most people who go/went to Uni are arrogant, drunk tossers who don't know their arse from their elbow. Just generally mind.

I generally find most people who go/went to Uni are arrogant, drunk tossers who don't know their arse from their elbow. Just generally mind.

and? :P

coppercrutch

Everything goes in cycles. There will always be a demand for people with trades. However the last few years of 'Everyone get into a trade plumbers earn 100k per year' will put an end to that. Housing market and building trade going to the pits too.

Respect to all those earning great money for plastering walls etc.. Worked on a few sites myself and enjoyed it. However if any young uns are thinking of getting into this sort of thing now to earn big bucks - I reckon you are way too late.

It was 15 years ago, when I was leaving school and everyone was looking down on tradesmen that was the time to get into it...So obvious in hindsight..;)

So the only question now - is what will we be saying that about 15 years from now..

Any ideas..

"ain't the three of prancer, CC and that third guy not yet mentioned on this thread yet so nameless got over eck's win in the polls yet? that was 13 years ago":p:p:p:p

coppercrutch
"ain't the three of prancer, CC and that third guy not yet mentioned on this thread yet so nameless got over eck's win in the polls yet? that was 13 years ago":p:p:p:p

Does someone want to translate ?

jack D and coke
Everything goes in cycles. There will always be a demand for people with trades. However the last few years of 'Everyone get into a trade plumbers earn 100k per year' will put an end to that. Housing market and building trade going to the pits too.

Respect to all those earning great money for plastering walls etc.. Worked on a few sites myself and enjoyed it. However if any young uns are thinking of getting into this sort of thing now to earn big bucks - I reckon you are way too late.

It was 15 years ago, when I was leaving school and everyone was looking down on tradesmen that was the time to get into it...So obvious in hindsight..;)

So the only question now - is what will we be saying that about 15 years from now..

Any ideas..

It will definately come round again. I cant believe how few decent tradesmen there are just now and there will be even fewer when the Poles go and they are starting to go. Their exchange rate isn't anywhere near as good against the pound now so the impetus isn't there anymore. Most of the good tradesmen who are any good work for themselves and building companies tend to be full of average/keek tradesmen. My company got agency guys in a couple of weeks back and i'd told them to bolt before lunch time, they were even worse!

They will have to offer better money therefore enticing people back into the trades. Not gonna be anytime soon though i dont think. Few years anyway.

Any ideas..

Good points. There is no shortage of tradesman just now. Guys are getting paid off left right and centre. I think i maybe just made it in time.

Mebbe he's just quiet? If he's only 16, probably a wee bit overawed by it all, perhaps scared he makes a mistake, gets shouted at, gets slagged off etc etc.

He'll come into his own and out of his shell hopefully.

There shouldn't be a shortage of work for tradesmen ATM just because the housing market has ground to a halt - this simply means that people are extending and renovating their existing houses instead of buying new ones therefore still plenty of work to keep the boys busy.

coppercrutch
It will definately come round again. I cant believe how few decent tradesmen there are just now and there will be even fewer when the Poles go and they are starting to go. Their exchange rate isn't anywhere near as good against the pound now so the impetus isn't there anymore. Most of the good tradesmen who are any good work for themselves and building companies tend to be full of average/keek tradesmen. My company got agency guys in a couple of weeks back and i'd told them to bolt before lunch time, they were even worse!

They will have to offer better money therefore enticing people back into the trades. Not gonna be anytime soon though i dont think. Few years anyway.

Indeed quality always matters. People that work hard and do a good job at anything should always be fine.

Good points. There is no shortage of tradesman just now. Guys are getting paid off left right and centre. I think i maybe just made it in time.

Aye indeed. Make hay while the sun shines. :)

I am doing the same but in the very opposite industry..I think I am sharp enough to realise they won't pay me this money for ever. I don't do that much really. Bit of savvy and common sense that's all.

Soldier...:(

Unfortunately I reckon you could be right about this one. Far too many rumblings from rather scary circles..

eddie fenwick
Mebbe he's just quiet? If he's only 16, probably a wee bit overawed by it all, perhaps scared he makes a mistake, gets shouted at, gets slagged off etc etc.

He'll come into his own and out of his shell hopefully.

hes 18,defo not overawed but just plain rude by his silence,its one thing being quiet but another ignoring people being nothing but pleasent,hes been treated with kid gloves and been warned enough but to no avail

ToadKiller Dog
hes 18,defo not overawed but just plain rude by his silence,its one thing being quiet but another ignoring people being nothing but pleasent,hes been treated with kid gloves and been warned enough but to no avail

Have an early finish on a friday take him with the others to the pub and get him so drunk he needs carried home ,thats my remedy to most problems.

Have an early finish on a friday take him with the others to the pub and get him so drunk he needs carried home ,thats my remedy to most problems.

Au contraire, that has got me into all manner of problems with folk from work on more than one occassion! :rolleyes:

Have an early finish on a friday take him with the others to the pub and get him so drunk he needs carried up a dark ally ,thats my remedy to most problems.
:eek:

The guy maybe doesn't like the fact that he's seen as the kid, maybe giving him some more responsibilities and let him know when he does a good job that might make him a bit more enthusiastic.

There shouldn't be a shortage of work for tradesmen ATM just because the housing market has ground to a halt - this simply means that people are extending and renovating their existing houses instead of buying new ones therefore still plenty of work to keep the boys busy.

I've found that. I've been mobbed since our so called recession (spelling?). Loads of people deciding to upgrade their bathrooms as they're not wanting to move just now.

eddie fenwick
The guy maybe doesn't like the fact that he's seen as the kid, maybe giving him some more responsibilities and let him know when he does a good job that might make him a bit more enthusiastic.

sorry forgot to mention hes crap at it

Get shot of him. Sounds like he's not willing to dig in and learn or make the effort. My old work took on a boy like that and it was clear his folks had pushed him into it as he just couldn't be papped doing anything. He was a boring little shi* to boot.

I've found that. I've been mobbed since our so called recession (spelling?). Loads of people deciding to upgrade their bathrooms as they're not wanting to move just now.

Thank God, I was worried that I was just a daft blond talking a load of bawz then :D

Does someone want to translate ?

hey you called for PROZAC the last time I did that. It referes to the post directly above it and specifically:-

can't take the intellectual high ground if consecutive posts pass you by:p:p:p

Everybody loves Baz
you can be a right bitch you know:p

I try mate.:o

portobellojambo1

I would tend to agree with that.

And you tend to find they get a few initials after their name, assume they know business inside out, won't accept anything less than a middle management level job (after all they have sat in a classroom for 5 years and know it all inside out). So some daft companies fall for it, put them in positions of responsibility, and then wonder why their businesses are all going t i t s up.

Just generally mind.

Miller Jambo 60
Little bit of a broad generalisation there matey is it no?

I'm in the building trade and yes i've encountered some demicks over the years but by the same token met some really intelligent switched on guys that make more money than most office types could only dream about.

Believe me i've been an employer in the past and these laddies get a chance in the trades because you dont need academic qualifications only practical savvy. They get emptied quick smart.

Hence why the polish invasion to a lot of employers has been a godsend. They at least have a bit of hunger. I thought in the beginning they were stealing our jobs but it's the opposite they're filling positions and in my experience are great workers.

Cos they will take anything .

Cant even cook pies at tyne BURNT

portobellojambo1

Eddie,

Don't take this personally, feck it do, 4 apprentices have walked out and you are still there. Ask your other half who she thinks may be the problem.

What's your hourly rate by the way, when it comes to getting plastered I am quite good, can show you a few certificates which confirm my qualifications if required.

Thank God, I was worried that I was just a daft blond talking a load of bawz then :D

You may be a daft blonde but your not talking a load of baws. Yet ;)

ToadKiller Dog

If your getting nowhere with a teenager you might want to employ somebody looking to retrain maybe recently made redundent from a closing factory or someone just out of the forces.

If he's a Jambo, tell him what you think / what the problem is - give him a chance to change things. If he takes the chance good, if not then he can't have any complaints.

If he's a hobo, hun or tim - just sack him / he'll be used to the dole anyway:rolleyes::rolleyes:

whom as you know is a really nice placid guy;)

Well, if you say so.

I do know he's a good Jambo, so he's got that going for him at least !

Archived