please enlighten me - who would be better than salmond?

Quagmire

and please don't say "ANYONE!!!".

can you please suggest to me an individual, that people have heard of, that wouldn't make a complete and utter hash of the job?

i remember salmond being accused of being a loser...

compared to the labour party i'd say he looks rather fantastic.

and he's also accused of smugness...

and i'd agree...

but compared to cameron he's looks as humble as the dalai lama.

i'd agree that salmond is quite irritating, but i also think he's a highly skilled politician, and wants the best for his country - something noone else seems to have at the moment.

4 pages. :)

...just give me one name, and tell me why they'd be better.

nay.

tell me why they wouldn't make a complete hash of it.

coppercrutch
...just give me one name, and tell me why they'd be better.

nay.

tell me why they wouldn't make a complete hash of it.

Menzies Campbell. Classy and dignified person. Cares for Scotland, lives in Scotland. Not a hint of smugness. Sadly retired.

Anyway at the moment Salmond has it easy. He is a very good orator but as some recent mistakes have shown I don't reckon he is quite as sharp as he first appears.

Menzies Campbell. Classy and dignified person. Cares for Scotland, lives in Scotland. Not a hint of smugness. Sadly retired.

Anyway at the moment Salmond has it easy. He is a very good orator but as some recent mistakes have shown I don't reckon he is quite as sharp as he first appears.

yes he is.

try again...?

as for his mistakes, i think they're being a tad overblown.

lets face it. he's a politician. when he promises to get 150 more coppers onto the street and gets a mere 100...i'd say that great - at least he's actually TRYING to keep his promise.

coppercrutch
yes he is.

try again...?

Anyone but Salmond. ;)

Can't stand his attitude. Tory leader seems like a bit of a bright spark. Of course the Tories have as much chance of winning here as Brown has of being clinically sane.

can you please suggest to me an individual, that people have heard of, that wouldn't make a complete and utter hash of the job?

and i'd agree...

i'd agree that salmond is quite irritating, but i also think he's a highly skilled politician, and wants the best for his country - something noone else seems to have at the moment.

Mass genocide would be better than that fat fascist Salmond

Menzies Campbell. Classy and dignified person.

I dont think Charles Kennedy nor his supporters would agree with that.;)

Robbos Right Peg

Agreed i8hibsh you start it off and I will be right after you........................honest ...............................or should that be FACT

and i'd agree...

Ally McCoist.

If you'd said Charles Kennedy I would have had some empathy however nominating an old codger who by his own party's admission was leading the Lib Dems down the drain, is a startling choice for First Minister. ( Fact) :)

jambos are go!

John Reid had umpteen cabinet posts( inc Scotland , Northern Ireland, Defence and the Home Office) and was lead enforcer and spokesman for Labour whenever the going got tough. Enjoyed substantial public respect.

John Reid had umpteen cabinet posts( inc Scotland , Northern Ireland, Defence and the Home Office) and was lead enforcer and spokesman for Labour whenever the going got tough. Enjoyed substantial public respect.

Imagine the smeltic chairman passing a 5% surcharge on those not willing to capitulate to the gruesome twosome you are having a giraffe right:p

Geoff Kilpatrick

It says a lot that Salmond is the outstanding politician of his class - the rest of the parties can't rustle up anyone worthwhile against him.

Salmond's skills as a political operator were best shown when Dewar was FM. Salmond wasn't laying a glove on him so he jumped ship to Westminster. Then he waits until "Hello Sailor" McConnell takes the job and wipes him out.

If someone like Charles Kennedy or Michael Forsyth were elected to the Parliament, things would be a lot more interesting. As it is, Scottish politics (from a perspective 10,000 miles away) seems to be drifting until the inevitable Labour humiliation in the General Election.

It says a lot that Salmond is the outstanding politician of his class - the rest of the parties can't rustle up anyone worthwhile against him.

Salmond's skills as a political operator were best shown when Dewar was FM. Salmond wasn't laying a glove on him so he jumped ship to Westminster. Then he waits until "Hello Sailor" McConnell takes the job and wipes him out.

If someone like Charles Kennedy or Michael Forsyth were elected to the Parliament, things would be a lot more interesting. As it is, Scottish politics (from a perspective 10,000 miles away) seems to be drifting until the inevitable Labour humiliation in the General Election.

I'd hardly say he jumped ship to Westminster, considering he has been an MP there since 1987. The people of Banff and Buchan must be happy with him as an MP as he has turned that seat into a safe seat.

A mate of mine in England believes that it will be English Conservative MPs soon pushing for Scottish independence. The rationale behind that being that if you take away the Labour MPs from Scotland, the Conservative Party will rule the roost and Labour may never be elected for a very long time.

I would agree with you Geoff that the Labour Party aren't doing themselves any favours and will be humiliated at the next election.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I'd hardly say he jumped ship to Westminster, considering he has been an MP there since 1987. The people of Banff and Buchan must be happy with him as an MP as he has turned that seat into a safe seat.

A mate of mine in England believes that it will be English Conservative MPs soon pushing for Scottish independence. The rationale behind that being that if you take away the Labour MPs from Scotland, the Conservative Party will rule the roost and Labour may never be elected for a very long time.

I would agree with you Geoff that the Labour Party aren't doing themselves any favours and will be humiliated at the next election.

Fair comment. I was pointing out his decision to concentrate on Westminster and leave Swinney to manage things badly for the Nats while he was away.

and i'd agree...

Im with you, I really don't mind him. I don't think he is doing a bad job.

coppercrutch
If you'd said Charles Kennedy I would have had some empathy however nominating an old codger who by his own party's admission was leading the Lib Dems down the drain, is a startling choice for First Minister. ( Fact) :)

Campbell has more dignity and class than Salmond has in his little finger. People respect that. People respect Campbell. People do not respect Salmond.

You see most people don't rate a politician on how many smart arsed smug comments they can provide per week. Well actually a fair few on this board seem to do just that....

As I said anyone would be better than Salmond.

coppercrutch

OMG :eek:

Salmond at it again. You SNP guys must be getting embarressed.

Just on TV talking about Brown and an Olympic GB football team.

Says that because the SFA and Tartan Army are against it we will probably 'Send Brown homeward tae think again'.

Seriously cringeworthy.

and i'd agree...

Are you asking about leading the SNP or in charge of government in Scotland? If the answer is the second, here's a wee suggestion - there is a whole system of government in place in London which is far more effective (albeit still crap) than anything that comes out of the joke that is holyrood. I put it to you that anyone down there will do better than anyone (no matter how good) in the administrative white elephant that is the Scottish Parliament!

coppercrutch
Are you asking about leading the SNP or in charge of government in Scotland? If the answer is the second, here's a wee suggestion - there is a whole system of government in place in London which is far more effective (albeit still crap) than anything that comes out of the joke that is holyrood. I put it to you that anyone down there will do better than anyone (no matter how good) in the administrative white elephant that is the Scottish Parliament!

True. A certain poster must be on his holidays or we would be on 4 pages already...:rolleyes:

Says that because the SFA and Tartan Army are against it we will probably 'Send Brown homeward tae think again'.

Seriously cringeworthy.

Do they not mention the fact that all 4 supporters associations of the Home Nations are against it ?

Stewart MacD

Nothing like a positive argument, is there? Particularly with the over-use of the "f" word.

Campbell has more dignity and class than Salmond has in his little finger. People respect that. People respect Campbell. People do not respect Salmond.

You see most people don't rate a politician on how many smart arsed smug comments they can provide per week. Well actually a fair few on this board seem to do just that....

As I said anyone would be better than Salmond.

Campbell's own party considered him a liability therefore not an ideal choice for first minister . FACT

Seriously cringeworthy.

Agreed.

The SFA and Alex Salmond's stance on this is very narrow-minded and cringeworthy.

coppercrutch
Do they not mention the fact that all 4 supporters associations of the Home Nations are against it ?

Didn't hear him say that but quite possible. I imagine all of them are against it.

Campbell's own party considered him a liability therefore not an ideal choice for first minister . FACT

Aye but I would still rather have him than Salmond. I could at least listen to what he had to say.

Agreed.

The SFA and Alex Salmond's stance on this is very narrow-minded and cringeworthy.

Indeed. I think the arguments against having a football 'Team GB' are solid enough to keep away from the 'Braveheart' style chat...

SoldierPalmer

:rofl:

the man's a :slither:

only worse candidate I could think of would be his wee pal Helen Liddell

back to the drawing board on that one methinks :)

SoldierPalmer

Mr. Bumble leads Scotland into the it's new dawn and place in history

eh - I don't think so - try again

SoldierPalmer
Westminster

doesn?t count ? that?s not a person ? you?ve got to stick to the rules man

Ally McCoist.

no use ? he?d pass proclamations saying that we had to support they who cannot be named

Charlie boy might have been a contender if the drink hadn?t puggled his brain

Haven?t seen a decent contender?s name put forward yet ? funny how nobody?s mention any of the three contestants for leader of Scottish labour ? what does that tell you :)

To be honest taking Salmonds cringworthy flower of scotland line v's Wendy Alexander's sensible solution to the highly emotive subject of national football, IF she could apply a similarly sensible and logical approach to all her politics then she would have most likley got my vote!

Miller Jambo 60
To be honest taking Salmonds cringworthy flower of scotland line v's Wendy Alexander's sensible solution to the highly emotive subject of national football, IF she could apply a similarly sensible and logical approach to all her politics then she would have most likley got my vote!

Look forward to another TORY GOV guys.

The English can go to bed being labour and wake up being tories.

Sad lot.

And theres nowt we can do.:mad:

SoldierPalmer

is that the same 'policy on the hoof' Wendy who went about with her handbag stuffed full of illegal cash and who couldn't read a rule book .... :whistling:

jambos are go!
:rofl:

the man's a :slither:

only worse candidate I could think of would be his wee pal Helen Liddell

back to the drawing board on that one methinks :)

You seem to have slithered out of challenging his credentials. Abuse is not debate.

SoldierPalmer
You seem to have slithered out of challenging his credentials. Abuse is not debate.

if you think that why resort to it then :P

OK let's see (think I could write a book hmm where to start)

Blair's - puppet - highly vocal part of the Blair camp that took us into an illegal war based on fictitious weapons of Mass destruction - which resulted in god knows how many deaths and mutilations

moved into the home office to sort things out :rofl:

let's all here it for Johnnie and his ID cards :rolleyes:

if he'd been any good as a politician - he'd be part of Broon's cabinet but he bailed before Broon could show him the door

the thing though that most annoys me about Johnnie boy is that he is the most arrogant and patronising politician I've ever seen - although I have to say his pal wee Helen comes close

so there ye go - hope this helps :)

Fair comment. I was pointing out his decision to concentrate on Westminster and leave Swinney to manage things badly for the Nats while he was away.

When Swinney came in, he had to make some unpopular choices within the SNP ranks. They were unpopular but neccessary. Many folk told John not to go for the leadership as they knew that these choices had to be made and that he would not come out good in it all.

Meanwhile, Salmond stayed away and when it was over - he was back...now look where we are.

jambos are go!
if you think that why resort to it then :P

OK let's see (think I could write a book hmm where to start)

Blair's - puppet - highly vocal part of the Blair camp that took us into an illegal war based on fictitious weapons of Mass destruction - which resulted in god knows how many deaths and mutilations

moved into the home office to sort things out :rofl:

let's all here it for Johnnie and his ID cards :rolleyes:

if he'd been any good as a politician - he'd be part of Broon's cabinet but he bailed before Broon could show him the door

the thing though that most annoys me about Johnnie boy is that he is the most arrogant and patronising politician I've ever seen - although I have to say his pal wee Helen comes close

so there ye go - hope this helps :)

Reid is a popular polictician who could combat Salmond and the SNP supporters know it. They fear him - but he's unlikely to return to politics I understand. We'll know for sure when Jack McConnell gives up his seat and an opportunity at Holyrood appears. The war and ID cards enjoyed a lot of support (not mine BTW) and to try and claim they were all Reids fault is nonsense. I can smell the fear in your posts. Come on George Foulkes give John Reid a call and get to work at what your good at.

Annabel Goldie, Michael Forsyth, Malcolm Ri****d, Liam Fox, Irvine Jambo... there is a long list!

How about the former Conservative parliamentary candidate for Midlothian? :cool_shades:

SoldierPalmer
Reid is a popular polictician who could combat Salmond and the SNP supporters know it. They fear him - but he's unlikely to return to politics I understand. We'll know for sure when Jack McConnell gives up his seat and an opportunity at Holyrood appears. The war and ID cards enjoyed a lot of support (not mine BTW) and to try and claim they were all Reids fault is nonsense. I can smell the fear in your posts. Come on George Foulkes give John Reid a call and get to work at what your good at.

jambos are go! - you've identified Reid's problem above in a nutshell - (like all Labour politicians) - he pushes policies he's told to not what he believes in - IMO labourer politicians lost site of any principle/beliefs they had a very long time ago - their supposed to be a socialist party - what a joke - they've lost all their credibility and that's why their showings in the recent by-elections/polls are awful - don't see anyway back for them - they've lost it - IMO they'll loose the next Westminster election and the next Holyrood election and it's what they deserve :)

SoldierPalmer
Annabel Goldie, Michael Forsyth, Malcolm Ri****d, Liam Fox, Irvine Jambo... there is a long list!

This is getting closer to serious contenders:

Annabel Goldie - yep she's a good politician - she could just about beat Alex at his own game but ..................... not quite.

Michael Forsyth - yep close again- must admit wasn't that keen on him when he was the Scottish Secretary - but yes I'd say a man of principle but a bit past his sell by date now - so not as good a politician as our Alex.

Malcolm Ri**** ? yep a quality politician ? good foreign Secretary ? big pall of Maggie?s ? heavy weight ? also past his prime now but ? I might have to concede ? yep very close to our Alex in quality

Liam Fox ? no I don?t think so

Irvine Jambo ? not familiar with his political CV but I?ll take your word for it

By the way I?m not a Tory but IMO they do have better quality people that the Labour Party and the Lib/Dems (obviously) but not quite as good as the SNP naturally :)

jambos are go!
jambos are go! - you've identified Reid's problem above in a nutshell - (like all Labour politicians) - he pushes policies he's told to not what he believes in - IMO labourer politicians lost site of any principle/beliefs they had a very long time ago - their supposed to be a socialist party - what a joke - they've lost all their credibility and that's why their showings in the recent by-elections/polls are awful - don't see anyway back for them - they've lost it - IMO they'll loose the next Westminster election and the next Holyrood election and it's what they deserve :)

Thie thread is about an alternative to Salmond. Reid is the best alternative by along way IMO. A lot of Labour and SNP mates agree. BTW the current government took the lead role internationally in writing off third world debt and massively increased public spending on things like education and health. They introduced the minimum wage and I read recently that our poorest familier are ?90 a week better off in real terms than ten years ago. None of that offends my socialist leanings particularly since it managed to get itself re-elected 3 times.

Labour in Scotland needs someone to take it by the short and curlies and bring into the world of coalition politics. Reids my man to do it. That way they need not win the next Holyrood election can because nobody can. On the Westminster front things dont look so rosy.

Mind you its heartening to note that the Euro zone is now in recession whilst we might just avoid it - unlikely though. Where are those posters who a few weeks ago who said they were better prepared because they had put money away during the good times.

Finally, Harold Wilson famously said England winning the 1966 world Cup won Labour the next General Election. Maybe Team GB can do likewise for Team Labour GB.

coppercrutch
This is getting closer to serious contenders:

Annabel Goldie - yep she's a good politician - she could just about beat Alex at his own game but ..................... not quite.

Michael Forsyth - yep close again- must admit wasn't that keen on him when he was the Scottish Secretary - but yes I'd say a man of principle but a bit past his sell by date now - so not as good a politician as our Alex.

Malcolm Ri**** ? yep a quality politician ? good foreign Secretary ? big pall of Maggie?s ? heavy weight ? also past his prime now but ? I might have to concede ? yep very close to our Alex in quality

Liam Fox ? no I don?t think so

Irvine Jambo ? not familiar with his political CV but I?ll take your word for it

By the way I?m not a Tory but IMO they do have better quality people that the Labour Party and the Lib/Dems (obviously) but not quite as good as the SNP naturally :)

You don't say. Let me have 3 guesses. My above post about Brown was way off. You are Alex Salmond and I claim my ?100 !!

SoldierPalmer
Is anyone else worried that 'Soldier Palmer' is actually Gordon Brown ? :eek:

damn that's me found out :sad:

SoldierPalmer
You don't say. Let me have 3 guesses. My above post about Brown was way off. You are Alex Salmond and I claim my ?100 !!

damn that's me found out again :sad:

The Mighty Thor

Alex Salmond is head and shoulders above anyone in Scottish politics right now.

In my voting lifetime i can only recall two politicians of real quality apart from AS.

John Smith - A man that had vision and courage and i think he would have made a huge difference to the UK as a whole had he lived long enough to put his great ideas into practice. Instead we were left with Blair. Enough said.

Donald Dewar - the father of the Scottish Parliament. Look at what was left up here when he passed away....Henry MCLeish, Jack McConnell and Wendy Alexander. Enough said.

coppercrutch

In my voting lifetime i can only recall two politicians of real quality apart from AS.

John Smith - A man that had vision and courage and i think he would have made a huge difference to the UK as a whole had he lived long enough to put his great ideas into practice. Instead we were left with Blair. Enough said.

Donald Dewar - the father of the Scottish Parliament. Look at what was left up here when he passed away....Henry MCLeish, Jack McConnell and Wendy Alexander. Enough said.

:eek:

Didn't read anything after that. The guy acts like a 13 year old schoolboy. If that impresses you then fair enough. Doesn't do much for me.

SoldierPalmer

can I just say on behalf of my two other selves - Gordon Brown and Alex Salmond - that I think I almost agree with that - apart from the fact that Donald Dewar represented his constituency for years as a 'socialist' and it was the poorest constituency in the UK when he died and he died a millionaire - there something not quite right with that :sad:

Archived