Ref meeting today

ring-of-fire

Jam Tarts 1874
Worrying that the refs seem to talk about respect - respect is earned through competency. Simple as that.

Yes, the referees now are deemed to be competent as long as they can tick all the boxes when they are being assessed by their employers on various courses etc. Whether or not they are competent when they are actually on the job (ask the Sunday school teacher :P ) seems to have no bearing on their careers.

So what exactly is "posting accordingly"? Never say anything too different from everyone else? Should I run everything by you before I post it, to make sure it's ok with you?

No thanks. I'll say what I think, always.

The problem with the warrior-poet speil above, JR, is that you set it up as if you're defending something relevant and worth saying.

What you actually said was:

Breaking news.

Csaba fired.

Vlad says he is a traitor who is killing this club every day.

Irrelevant and boring. It's a shame that, even with the best part of 20,000 posts to your name, you've said so little.

So , Hugh Dallas , who connived in one of the most disgraceful refereeing decisions ever seen at Tynie is now in charge of making Scottish refs good.

You couldn't make it up.

And what WAS the purpose in bringing everyone together for this meeting : it isn't actually stated in the BBC report as far as I'm concerned. You call a meeting but there seems to be no published agenda : or are we just supposed to read between the lines ?

Dallas's patronising comments about the good football being played in the SPL are a patronising and insulting diversion from what the last two weeks have been all about : and it hasn't been about anything but shocking refereeing decisions , yet again.

Still . it's good to see the 'm' word being trotted out again. Not 'errors, not 'lack of consistency' , just good old , honest mistakes. I want to vomit.

M = 'mistake'.

Scottish FA Referee Development Officer Hugh Dallas hopes the heat comes off officials after a summit at Hampden.

Managers, coaches and captains from every SPL club were invited to meet a selection of referees and encouraged to indulge in a frank exchange of views.

"I've got to say it was a very positive meeting," said former World Cup whistler Dallas.

"As long as their is an understanding that both sides respect each other then we will be halfway there."

The start to the season has been dominated by controversy involving referees, most notably Eddie Smith's decision to give Celtic a penalty in their opening-day win over St Mirren and Charlie Richmond's denial of a penalty for Dundee United in Sunday's draw with the champions.

"The referees have an important role to play and although people say the best referees are the ones that aren't seen, I think those days are gone because of the media coverage," added Dallas.

"From that point of view, all we ask is that the referees get the big decisions right.

I felt it was a big plus and it helped to clear the air

Dundee Utd manager Craig Levein

"We have a good crew who they are an honest bunch but they make mistakes.

"However, there has to be an understanding that they will make mistakes and that the mistakes have got to be accepted.

"They asked if referees are accountable and we explained how they are accountable.

"There is an observer system and we analyse their marks at the end of the season and that decides where they will be placed the following season.

"But we are not going to hang any referee out to dry, that's not what we are designed for.

"Let's not forget, we've had the first two weeks of the season and we have looked at some magnificent games of football.

"The Dundee United versus Celtic game was a super game, as was Hamilton against Dundee United and Hearts versus Motherwell.

"But we have centred on two decisions and we have to centre on the positives rather than the negatives."

Dundee United manager Craig Levein, who was fined ?5000 last week after criticising Mike McCurry for his display against Rangers last season, claimed the meeting was beneficial but believes they should take place more than once a season.

"I felt it was a big plus and it helped to clear the air," Levein told BBC Sport.

"It got a bit heated at times but I think that's a good thing.

"The whole idea is to build up a better understanding of the difficulties we face.

"I think the idea is great and there should be one at the beginning of the season and one in the middle, in case other hiccups or problems arise."

Levein revealed that Richmond had phoned him on Monday to explain why he hadn't awarded a penalty when Gary Caldwell had chopped down Roy O'Donovan.

"I didn't quite understand where he was coming from - but that's all right, I appreciated the call.

"Charlie's a good referee. He made one mistake not five."

The part in bold is the bit that gets me, surely if they have an observer in place, why don't they have it week in week out, rather than waiting until the end of the season to decide whether they have been up to scratch.

The report is from the BBC Website

Exactly - there needs to be on-going assessment...not some end of season report card when th eroors of the first weeks/months have been forgotten.

Seymour M Hersh
Well we'll find that out on Saturday.

CT is the ref in the Sheep v. Huns game and he comes from Paisley - a stone's throw from Ipox. I don't know if he's travelling up in the Rangers team bus but what I can tell you is that he's not geographical neutral and therein lies a major problem. If he gives a "wrong" decision he must go back to Hunland and face the music. Will his windows be put in, will his family be threatened, etc etc? McVicar and Smith need to address these problems.

I know CT and he is genuinely a St Midden fan. However that's not to say he won't be too fearful for his safety to award Aberdeen a contentious decision or more unlikely not award one to der hun.

gordon the jambo
They will all meet in a big room amid much nodding and shaking of heads.

The refs will be adamant there is no bias from them, even though one will probably attend in a Rangers tie.

Then when all the other teams reps have been placated and sent packing, the refs will have a word with the OF, to reassure them that nothing will change...except perhaps the odd contentious free-kick given to the opposition on the half-way line.

GFA GTF

spot on mate they make my blood boil as well dirty GFA bassas

I believe that this is yet again another Donald McVicar "special" in attempt to force mangers and players to show the officials some respect. Maybe if the officials started to show the "game" and the supporters some respect things would even out for them. Until I see some sign of the bias towards the Old Firm being done away with I'll continue to view any of the representatives of the SFA with a great deal of suspicion, especially those Referees from the greater Glasgow area.

I agree with the 'respect' agenda.

I'm only interested in Hearts. And it does our club no credit to be accusing people in the SFA of being mafia or that decisions are anything other than subjective mistakes - when we do not appear to have any evidence. I am sick of seeing our players booked for dissent. Or for diving or running to the fans after a goal. Or for having a go at supporters. I would support an effort by Hearts to improve the discipline of the club from top to bottom. Announce that we will fine any divers and for a second offence suspend them for a match. Announce that we will fine anyone who is booked for dissent. Muzzle Vlad. The referees would soon get the message.

Steven Pressley for the most part trod this line brilliantly. He had great rapport with the referees - and used to get fine line decisions in his favour as a result. Our recent 'they are all out to get us' attitude has been absolutely counterproductive.

That said, McVicar was one of the worst referees I've seen in Scottish football. Prancing around with his big baldy head.

I agree with the 'respect' agenda.

I'm only interested in Hearts. And it does our club no credit to be accusing people in the SFA of being mafia or that decisions are anything other than subjective mistakes - when we do not appear to have any evidence. I am sick of seeing our players booked for dissent. Or for diving or running to the fans after a goal. Or for having a go at supporters. I would support an effort by Hearts to improve the discipline of the club from top to bottom. Announce that we will fine any divers and for a second offence suspend them for a match. Announce that we will fine anyone who is booked for dissent. Muzzle Vlad. The referees would soon get the message.

Steven Pressley for the most part trod this line brilliantly. He had great rapport with the referees - and used to get fine line decisions in his favour as a result. Our recent 'they are all out to get us' attitude has been absolutely counterproductive.

That said, McVicar was one of the worst referees I've seen in Scottish football. Prancing around with his big baldy head.

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the lack of discipline from our players over the past three seasons. I hope that the new manager will instill a sense of self control into the players. That is something that has been long over due

However, to ignore the shortcomings of a select cadre of Scotlands Referees is something I'm not prepared to do. The evidence for bias towards the Old firm is overwhelming, and until I see clear and unequivocal signs that this has ceased, I'm afraid, I and I suspect many others from clubs all over the country will not have a shred of respect for the officials involved. Everyone knows that thye have a difficult task, but the paying public has a right to expect fairness and no hidden agendas. We all know who the culprits are - they are in the main from the Glasgow area - though I can think of one based in Edinburgh who consistently fails to deal with Hearts in an even handed manner.

I can only hope that after the disasterous start to the season for Scotlands Referees that things will improve - however, I'll not be holding my breath.

Well seeing the Whistleblower "accountability" part of the SFA has been "forgotten"....

Exactly Dexter - the Whistle blower is only used in cases where the officials can fully explain their actions logically. I notice it's never used in cases where the integrity of the "decisions" made by the official is called into question.

We all know mistakes are made in football - mistakes made by players coaches and yes by referees. Honest mistakes I can live with they are part and parcel of the game - but the never ending procession of vital decisions going invariably to the Old Firm is something that has to stop. We now live in the 21st. century - 19th. century attitudes of mind by those running the game here have to cease.

WeeToonJambo
Breaking news.

Csaba fired.

Vlad says he is a traitor who is killing this club every day.

What a totally irrelevant, stupid and infantile post. What has this got to do with a referee's meeting?!

Also recalled this gem from McVicar yesterday.

He was asked about using the system in England to let the fans know when a ref had been discplined for a poor performance, rather than the wall of silence currently in operation. McVicar said that if people want to know then they can look on the SFA website to see what the next 3 games are for each referee and draw their own conclusions from that!!

This is from the man who at the start of the interview said that his biggest moan is the lack of communication between the refs and the managers. I can only assume he doesn't appreciate the word "sarcasm".

When asked what disciplinary measures there were he basically admitted that all they currently do is give a ref a lower division game, saying that this hits the refs in the pockets as instead of ?800 for a SPL game they get less pay!!!

Show me a ref who doesn't make ?40k a year from their daytime job FFS. How is a drop in wages for their "hobby" going to persuade them to do a better job?

McVicar is a man out his depth. I'd be ecstatic if Dallas got his job - he can't be any worse than that dinosaur McVicar.

Guest JamboRobbo
What a totally irrelevant, stupid and infantile post. What has this got to do with a referee's meeting?!

How stupid are people on here?

Its to do with the photo of Csaba in a Rangers strip. It's called humour. You should try it some time.

Guest JamboRobbo
The problem with the warrior-poet speil above, JR, is that you set it up as if you're defending something relevant and worth saying.

What you actually said was:

Irrelevant and boring. It's a shame that, even with the best part of 20,000 posts to your name, you've said so little.

Aye, whatever. Said so little that you feel the need to reply to have a go at me. :rofl:

Just saw Hugh Dallas pulling into the Academy at Riccarton this lunchtime.

Don't know if this is related to yesterdays meeting, or he is some sort of Refereeing ambassador now.

Nice Car by the way.

Aye, whatever. Said so little that you feel the need to reply to have a go at me. :rofl:

That reply makes no sense. People have tried ignoring you, and you're yet to go away. The only alternative is to call you out whenever you're being childish, such as in this thread.

p.s. It's sad that you can just forget about your "debate the post, not the poster" mantra whenever it suits you. You're yet to explain how your initial post on this thread was anything other than immature trolling.

Ray Winstone

On a lighter note - did anyone see the bit on the news yesterday of Mixu swaggering up the stairs trying to text while walking before doing his best to fall flat on his face?

Priceless - Rob Jones could barely contain himself.

Just saw Hugh Dallas pulling into the Academy at Riccarton this lunchtime.

Don't know if this is related to yesterdays meeting, or he is some sort of Refereeing ambassador now.

Nice Car by the way.

Dallas visit is on the clubs website.

When it comes to referees Hugh Dallas is god according to one referee.

A referee who broke through into our top ranks last year lives his life through the week by the word of god.......he is very religeous and everything he does is because god told him to/ it is gods wish, but god this and god that, etc etc (do not have a problem with this, that is the individuals belief), but when it came to a Saturday at 3pm Hugh Dallas became god, he referees the way Hugh Dallas wants him to and how he is told to, it is Dallas said this, Dallas said that, it is allegedly the only time that someone takes precedence over god in this person life.

Dallas visit is on the clubs website.

This shows a real bit of imagination and initiative. Hopefully the players involved will gain from it. It certainly confirms that Csaba is trying to do something about our annual fines for "bad discipline". Whatever the causes and the rights and wrongs, it ahs to be sorted and this can only help.

This shows a real bit of imagination and initiative. Hopefully the players involved will gain from it. It certainly confirms that Csaba is trying to do something about our annual fines for "bad discipline". Whatever the causes and the rights and wrongs, it ahs to be sorted and this can only help.

A step in the right direction - however the real proof that things are changing will be when we see parity across the board for all clubs in the SPL with everyone being treated equally. I am yet to be convinced the despite Dallas and McVicars protestations that there is no bias or hidden agendas in Scottish Football that the Old Firm will not continue to be treated differently to everyone else. Until that changes the SPL will continue to be a joke as will the referreeing standards here.

Archived