Cork - what to do?

davemclaren

Off to Cork next month for a long weekend. Any recommendations on things to do ( we have a car ) and places to eat?

Me and Mrs Therapist were in Cork for a wedding 3 or 4 years back. Didn't rate it really, so can't give you any recommendations. We didn't find anything that floated our boat.

Explore the Ring of Kerry?

She's a lovely lass - very accomodating!! :toasting:

Only joking,

You can drive to Dingyl Bay and go in a boat and see a friendly bottlenosed dolphin called Fungi.

You can also kiss the blarney stone.

Or you could just do what the locals do and get plastered.

Have a ring of the bells in Shandon (I think) church.

A colleague was most amused when he heard the Yogi Bear song clanging out from me :D

Waterford crystal place isn't that far away. Nor is the Jamestown distillery (would recommend leaving the car for that one).

Or you could just do what the locals do and get plastered.

There was loads of that. The pubs seemed to shut much earlier than we expected though.

Mrs Therapist only eats fish and veggies, and I remember there wasn't much choice for her in the bars and restos.

We didn't go anywhere outside Cork though.

I heard you had already gone to the dogs Dave. :o

I actually used to work there when I was at school in the early 70s. I walked the dogs around before the races, put them in the traps and caught them at the end....all wearing a bowler hat. The starter was a guy called 'Bunny' would you believe. Is that what you meant? :P

all wearing a bowler hat.

I'm with you now. ;)

Did you know a chap called Jim Jordan?

I'm with you now. ;)

Did you know a chap called Jim Jordan?

It was a long time ago but I do recall a guy called Jimmy who worked for one of the trainers but I don't think his surname was Jordan.

5 or 6 of us attending Lasswade High got the jobs as one of our groups' uncle was the vet ( Archie Baird ). It was a good laugh but I wasn't popular the night I let a dog escape whilst putting it in the trap. :eek:

If you fancy a trip down the coast and can be bothered hiring a car, Kinsale is a nice spot.

It was a long time ago but I do recall a guy called Jimmy who worked for one of the trainers but I don't think his surname was Jordan.

5 or 6 of us attending Lasswade High got the jobs as one of our groups' uncle was the vet ( Archie Baird ). It was a good laugh but I wasn't popular the night I let a dog escape whilst putting it in the trap. :eek:

So it was Dave McLaren who let the dogs out!!!!!

You caused one helluva rumpus with that one Dave.

Sheriff Fatman

Blarney Castle ain't too far away and is worth a visit.

Both Murphys and Beamish are brewed in Corks, both are better than Guiness if you ask me. I'm not sure if either have brewery trips (though I expect they do), but both are well worth a number of trips to the local hostelry and imbibing a pint or ten.

You could also look here for ideas:

http://www.discoverireland.ie/southwest.aspx

Doctor FinnBarr
Me and Mrs Therapist were in Cork for a wedding 3 or 4 years back. Didn't rate it really, so can't give you any recommendations. We didn't find anything that floated our boat.

Not enough Rankers fans to make you feel at home?

:)

Sheriff Fatman
Not enough Rankers fans to make you feel at home?

:)

Probably too few Celtic fans to growl at, they are all Manchester United or Liverpool fans in Cork (though I do know a few Oxford United fans who live there).

Actually, one of my wife's colleagues is from there and has a cottage in Ballycotton we are letting.

jamboinglasgow

work alongside five girls from cork (well three now as two finished their job tonight) so will ask them tomorrow what is good in cork.

Actually, one of my wife's colleagues is from there and has a cottage in Ballycotton we are letting.

Ah, you should have mentioned it was Ballycotton you were going to, not Cork. Miles better, far fewer drunks. :sad:

work alongside five girls from cork (well three now as two finished their job tonight) so will ask them tomorrow what is good in cork.

you can take the girl out of cork...

Advice; Don't go.

Only 'attraction' is the boyhood home of Roy Keane.

Birthplace of Rory Gallagher as well. going there in October and will be doing the Rory Gallagher trail.

Birthplace of Rory Gallagher as well. going there in October and will be doing the Rory Gallagher trail.

Now that is worth knowing. Are there any RG museums or such like? :)

Miller Jambo 60
I actually used to work there when I was at school in the early 70s. I walked the dogs around before the races, put them in the traps and caught them at the end....all wearing a bowler hat. The starter was a guy called 'Bunny' would you believe. Is that what you meant? :P

Dave my old Gaffer from my Milling days in Leith had a dog there.

Willie Wilson ring a bell.:)

I live in Cork just now.

It's a pretty quiet place but it really depends what you're over for. Going to Blarney is a good idea, there's the wildlife park out at Fota too that you can get the train out to (takes 10 minutes-ish).

Bear in mind it costs 10 Euro to get into Blarney and they don't take cards >.< The nearest Cash Machine is over the road at the Super Value. Your senses will also probably be assaulted by the vast amounts of Americans on tours too.

The English Market is a little spectacle all of it's own, try it ;).

Oliver Plunkett Street has the majority of the decent pubs that I know of; An Brog, The Slate and The Old Oak to name but a few. They're quiet during the day but The Old Oak does some good live music at nights during the week / occasional weekend, just look at the posters to see what's on.

If these aren't to your tastes let me know what is and I'll see what I can find.

Keep your wits about you for the one-way system in Cork City Centre if you go there, it's a bloody nightmare.

Archived