Lee Wallace/Rapnik/Palazuelos for left back (merged threads)

mattyw_1874

I don't think Rapnik would be the best choice for left back if we were going to play a youngster there instead of Lee Wallace, playing an actual full-back would be a start and Rapnik is not a left-back, Johnny Brown if he's fit would be the best choice - long term though Deland's is our best prospect at No.3

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thehibsareintheirbeds

csaba mentioned at the q and a that he'd even have to consider ruben at left back due to the lack of cover.

after today- whether it for be rapnik, brown, ruben or a.n. other- wallace really should be dropped

I make it 5 goals he's cost us this season.

Not good enough.

As a previous poster said, we knew at the start of the season that wing backs and strikers were what we needed.

seem to recall Levein playing Alan Maybury at left back a few times, think it was when Robbie made the break thru.

Surely worth a punt if he's still a free agent?

It's not the worst shout. There are guys out there who don't have a club who are better than Wallace.

Csaba said on his interview on Hearts World that he wished we had more experience on the left and you have to understand what to do in certain parts of the match - ie not fart about with it with two minutes to go like Wallace did.

I wish I had a pound for every time he's cost us a goal in his Hearts career.

He always seems to get good marks for his appearances for the under-21's but he has just not cut it for us.

He just seemed to stagger through the game not knowing what to do.

How many goals are we going to allow this guy to cost us?

He is one of the worst defenders in the SPL.

He should be sent out on loan to try and get to grips with the game because at the moment he is absolutely useless.

I was worried when we let Jose go as I knew Wallace was worse. Yes Jose had his moments but he is at least twice the player Wallace is and also has the pace to get back to cover for the mistakes he did make.

I was worried when we let Jose go as I knew Wallace was worse. Yes Jose had his moments but he is at least twice the player Wallace is and also has the pace to get back to cover for the mistakes he did make.

Spot on.

Does anyone not recognise that we keep having the same post mortem threads about Wallace?

The guy's out of his depth in the SPL and has cost us a goal in every other game he has played at left back. This season he has sold goals at Ibrox and Falkirk - distinctly a liability. Last season he lost a number when played there as well.

When we don't have strikers that can score goals, he is costing us points.

As for midfield, he can't cross a ball, has no pace, can't beat a man, and loses posession too easily. Who would you drop to put a player like that in midfield?

Goncalves was definitely a better player (which says more about Wallace TBH).

I know Wallace has been in the senior squad for a while now so surely they must have realized by now he's not defender material and should try him somewhere else? Is it his fault he's a rubbish defending is constantly losing us goals or the managements fault for constantly playing a player in that position when he's rubbish in it? I know we do not have many alternatives in that position but again, that's something the management should have addressed by now.

Spot on.

Does anyone not recognise that we keep having the same post mortem threads about Wallace?

The guy's out of his depth in the SPL and has cost us a goal in every other game he has played at left back. This season he has sold goals at Ibrox and Falkirk - distinctly a liability. Last season he lost a number when played there as well.

When we don't have strikers that can score goals, he is costing us points.

As for midfield, he can't cross a ball, has no pace, can't beat a man, and loses posession too easily. Who would you drop to put a player like that in midfield?

Goncalves was definitely a better player (which says more about Wallace TBH).

Have to agree with every word of that.

I'd rather play Rapnik there. At least he can defend. Wallace's blunders are leading to goals at an alarming rate. How far can we hope to go with this guy playing every week like he is at the moment?

I fully agree that Wallace was hopeless today, and really needs to buck up his ideas. There's only so many more mistakes he can commit before he's given the boot.

He should get a job at the Hearts store - he already has experience of selling the jerseys.

Why didn't Laszlo find a left back in the transfer window.

With the loan of Goncalves, surely he was able to see that we would only have 1 left back in the senior squad. Palazuelos and Obua are not left backs in the SPL.

Rappa can't do any worse. And at his age he can be trained, but know this - he won't bomb forward, he's not fast enough. The best you can expect is him to get 30 yards out and shoot.

Rappa can't do any worse. And at his age he can be trained, but know this - he won't bomb forward, he's not fast enough. The best you can expect is him to get 30 yards out and shoot.

Attacking full backs are a luxury our defence can do without just now. A clean sheet would be a start. I like the way you, NMH and others have talked up Rapnik but is he a left back ? The last thing we want is another young player out of position and then exposed. I'd seriously consider putting Berra at left back for a couple of weeks and moving Karipidis back to centre half beside Karipidis. We need to stop the flow of goals against.

Attacking full backs are a luxury our defence can do without just now. A clean sheet would be a start. I like the way you, NMH and others have talked up Rapnik but is he a left back ? The last thing we want is another young player out of position and then exposed. I'd seriously consider putting Berra at left back for a couple of weeks and moving Karipidis back to centre half beside Karipidis. We need to stop the flow of goals against.

You won't like to hear it but the current run of averaging 2 goals a game lost - in the last 10 games or so - coincided with Neilson dropping out of the side with injury. His return would make a positive difference.

As would Jonsson returning to central midfield where his energy/hustling would stop so many teams cutting through us.

Rapnik is a central defender - he's not a left back although has played there a couple of times - Johnny Brown had a really good half hour against Hull at left back and he'd be a much more natural option at fullback than Rapnik - although he did get taken off with a knee knock at a recent reserve game so not sure about his current fitness level.

He will adjust better to left back than Berra would. He's a footballer, he's got a good eye for a pass and he can tackle. He'll make a few mistakes (he's still only 18 mind, won't be 19 until next year) but he's very capable. He'd probably play similarly to Papac, just not quite as quick. He reads the game well though, and he likes to sit a bit deeper.

You won't like to hear it but the current run of averaging 2 goals a game lost - in the last 10 games or so - coincided with Neilson dropping out of the side with injury. His return would make a positive difference.

As would Jonsson returning to central midfield where his energy/hustling would stop so many teams cutting through us.

You need to look at the last 6 goals we've conceded.

Every one came from left back/Lee Wallace.

Two today, the header at Hamilton where he was ball watching, St Mirren's goal (which was Obua's fault but still left back) and Rangers, he conceded that penalty as well as the first goal.

Two today, the header at Hamilton where he was ball watching, St Mirren's goal (which was Obua's fault but still left back) and Rangers, he conceded that penalty as well as the first goal.

Not denying that Wallace is out of form, and have posted elsewhere my astonishment that Laszlo didn't get a left back in during the window.

But it is true that even when Goncalves was back in at the tail end of last season, and Neilson out, that the 2 conceded goals per game started.

Mate, i'd almost rather we take our chances of scoring 2 or 3 each week and kept letting in 2 goals a game than bring the white Cafu back into the fold. It's been one of the positives for me watching Hearts this season that he ain't been there though I accept not everyone feels that way.

Jonsson has made incredible progress in a month and is miles better than Neilson already, Aguair or Palazuelos should be beside Stewart.

I think hes good now and again but it seems to me he just goes through games at the same pace, no real desire. Perhaps its just the way he comes across but he doesnt seem to try hard enough.

Ok about Rapnik sorry but he is surley worth a shot at left back.

No matter how bad he plays he wont cost us as many goals as Wallace has I make it 5 now.

Not sure about playing Ruben at left back, however is Wallace ever going to get his game together? The boy has not taken a forward step since he was 17...

Whay not try Ruben at left back until Wallace gets his game together ?

Because he is too slow.

Wallace came into the team at 17 so why not try Deland or Brown or Mattie?

Obua more likely however when he's fit.

I just hope Csaba's taken note of this! Wallace isn't a LB IMO, and I think he'd struggle to get a game in our midfield because it's actually pretty strong.

We really do need Vlad to find us another Takis ;)

Give him a chance FFS, only 2 games into the season. Give him time with Csaba and you never know. Yeah, his performance today was poor but he has potential and is still very young!

exactly! one bad game and suddenly evryone wants him away, maybe give rapnik a chance soon. when obua is fit he should play but wallace will improve, he is only young and has potential as monty says.

and the missed pen

wallace and obua would better ultilised in a more forward role. Wallace has had four years to establish himself as a left back and has been nothing better than below average for me. However he does offer something in left midfield every time i ve seen him play there. Obua looks good in his attacking role although he hasnt been tried at left back and is worth a look at sticking him there. But in my opinion the games he played he has looked quite decent in his attacking role. I would like to rapnik get a try at left back as he has been knocking on thje first team door for quite some time now

wallace and obua would better ultilised in a more forward role. Wallace has had four years to establish himself as a left back and has been nothing better than below average for me. However he does offer something in left midfield every time i ve seen him play there. Obua looks good in his attacking role although he hasnt been tried at left back and is worth a look at sticking him there. But in my opinion the games he played he has looked quite decent in his attacking role. I would like to rapnik get a try at left back as he has been knocking on thje first team door for quite some time now

When did Obua look good?

And he played at left back against St Mirren, and looked a complete liability there at first glance.

ruben needs too much time on the ball for left back... aguiar for karripedis in the centre with maybe rapnik on the left.........

i know rapnik played LB for us in germany... does any one know if he has played this possition since for the reserves or if he has stayed in the centre?

ruben needs too much time on the ball for left back... aguiar for karripedis in the centre with maybe rapnik on the left.........

i know rapnik played LB for us in germany... does any one know if he has played this possition since for the reserves or if he has stayed in the centre?

He had a mare in Germany at left back,I would play a youngster who is a natural LB rather than Rapnik,who will be ab excellent CH in time.

Wallace has started over 60 games for Hearts in his career, most at left back.

Whether he's a natural LB or not he should at least be learning how to play the position better and showing signs of improvement, improve his postioning etc.

Yet he gets caught by the same things all the time.

There's potential there no doubt, will he ever fulfill it? It aint looking good.

Yaaaassss thats the game...

Lets start an 'elliot' style witch hunt and force another Scotland U21 out the club.

You know it makes sense!!! :eek:

Much in the same way that the supposed 3rd biggest team in Scotland shouldnt be playing with one young striker who is not quite at the required grade (improving though he is) we shouldnt be in the position where we only have one recognised left back in our first team squad, particularly when that left back hasnt really done enough to make that spot his own and at least would need competition either to spur him or to take the pressure off him and rest him

Our squad really is shocking and it is inexcusable the position we find ourself re left back.

Much in the same way that the supposed 3rd biggest team in Scotland shouldnt be playing with one young striker who is not quite at the required grade (improving though he is) we shouldnt be in the position where we only have one recognised left back in our first team squad, particularly when that left back hasnt really done enough to make that spot his own and at least would need competition either to spur him or to take the pressure off him and rest him

Our squad really is shocking and it is inexcusable the position we find ourself re left back.

The manager decided that we needed 6 goalies and an extra goalie coach rather than more than 1 left back in the senior squad. Didn't he?

The manager decided that we needed 6 goalies and an extra goalie coach rather than more than 1 left back in the senior squad. Didn't he?

I think we all know he didn't decide very much at all when it came to the balance of the squad.

Archived