Gleneagles PGA course

Paul_C

Any KB golfers played this course? If so how was it?

I'm playing there next week, played the Kings but not the PGA. Walked round it before but dunno how I'll fair with a ball and a set of clubs! :rolleyes:

chester copperpot
Any KB golfers played this course? If so how was it?

I'm playing there next week, played the Kings but not the PGA. Walked round it before but dunno how I'll fair with a ball and a set of clubs! :rolleyes:

From what I remember the Monarchs course was a good bit longer than the Kings Course, I have played it twice, and is a magic course, but my favourite is still the Kings course.

Suspect Device

played it a couple of months ago,

the PGA isn't a patch on the Kings (or the Queens) IMO

dont play off the back or further back 'Tiger' tees 'cause you'll have to hit the ball miles and straight

get a buggy, some of the green to tee paths are longer than the holes ! and the 1st is miles away from the clubhouse

if you're a low handicapper you'll probably enjoy it, a mid-high handicap and you'll probs hate it

nice wee pressies from the starter though - pitch repairers / ball markers / pencil / tees etc.

don't forget your money for the 19th, they're not shy in charging ;)

ps - i took 6 to get out a bunker on the 3rd, the sand is very fine and you dont need to take much :)

Its a long long course, especially if you're hitting off of any of the back tees. If you're a good golfer you should cope not too badly with it.

If you're not so great I would take quite a few balls with you. Considering the Johnnie Walker is there at the end of August they will no doubt be letting the rough etc get long at the minute. In which case if you lose a ball in it you probably won't be seeing it again.

I would definitely agree with the suggestion to get a buggy though. If you don't then try not to make your bag tooo heavy or else you will struggle in the end.

Fantastic course to play anyway, especially on a nice day. Should be in excellent condition right now too. Although I still think the Queen's is the best of the three.

played it a couple of months ago,

the PGA isn't a patch on the Kings (or the Queens) IMO

dont play off the back or further back 'Tiger' tees 'cause you'll have to hit the ball miles and straight

get a buggy, some of the green to tee paths are longer than the holes ! and the 1st is miles away from the clubhouse

if you're a low handicapper you'll probably enjoy it, a mid-high handicap and you'll probs hate it

nice wee pressies from the starter though - pitch repairers / ball markers / pencil / tees etc.

don't forget your money for the 19th, they're not shy in charging ;)

ps - i took 6 to get out a bunker on the 3rd, the sand is very fine and you dont need to take much :)

Haha, I think thats an understatement. Although the price of water etc. out on the course is probably worse. One bit of advice would be to buy any water/chocolate etc. in the golf shop before you go out or else take it with you. They will charge you ?2.25 for a bottle of water and ?1.20 for a Mars Bar out at the Juice Buggy ('Refreshment Cart') on the course.

Ray Winstone

Its a really nice course.

As some have stated - not as good as Kings.

Definitely get a buggy - I walked it the first time and it was the worst decision ever!

Thanks for the advice guys...

It's a corporate day I've been invited to so I would imagine it'll be a walking job so I'll keep the bag nice and light! I'm playing off 19 so I'll load up with balls too.

The Johnnie Walker is the week after so the course should be in top nick. I'm looking forward to it, providing the monsoon weather is over by then :P

Long long course.

I agree with the buggy comments. It looked designed for buggies as far as I can tell.

Not a patch on the automatic caddy systems I've used in Japan though!

My favourite course at Gleneagles is the Kings. Even when the course is quite busy, because of the natural topography you feel as though you have the course to yourself.

Never played it, only walked round at a celebrity pro am years ago. Ronnie Corbett partnered Sam Torrance if i'm not mistaken.

The best course I have every played is Muirfield, absolutely brilliant. Doubt i'll ever get that opportunity again.

well Paul_C

how did it go ? good day :)

or was it rained off :mad:

Not long home SD, was a long round, just on the 5 hour mark! We teed off at 9 and walked off the 18th just before 2. Showers most of the morning but bearable rather than tanking it down!

No one tore the course up today due to the weather, it certainly played to every yard on the scorecard with drives holding up in the fairways and no run at all.

Managed to get 28 points in the stableford and came 3rd overall. Now I have to wait to see if I've made the "top 16" from the other golf days they've had as the finals day is at the end of September on the Queens Course. Nearest the pin was won by Willie Young the ex ref, I never saw him until the meal afterwards as he teed off in the final group.

Fantastic course, agree with every one about the walk, I could never imagine 36 holes there in a day. Some pretty basic par 3's and 4's that they will need to change before the Ryder Cup as these guys will waltz round it.

Was a good feeling holing a putt just off the 18th green for a par 5 and turning round to salute the stands, yeah they were empty but it was a good laugh!

I'm heading back next weekend for the Johnnie Walker, will be fun saying to Monty "don't worry Colin, I bogeyed that hole last week too, mind you, i'm playing off 20"...oh, how he'll laugh.....maybe not....:rolleyes:

Apparantly John Collins was playing there today too, thankfully I never saw him :hobofish:

Archived