rolling cumberlands.

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

what really annoys me when iam frying my Cumberland sausages is when they get to that rolling about the pan stage:mad:, like when you are trying to get them on their side that still needs to be browned and they keep rolling back on to the already browned side ,at the same time when hot spits of fat are attacking your hand, hate it.:dribble:

maroonlegions
How the hell you cook the side of a cumberland sausage? Or even attempt it?:P:rolleyes:

cumberland_sausage_med.jpg

Cumberland Sausages are a type of traditional sausage that originated in the ancient county of Cumberland, England. They are usually very long (up to 50cm), and sold rolled in a flat circular coil but within western Cumbria it is usually served in long curved lengths. Sometimes they are made shorter, like ordinary British sausages, ;)and sometimes they are served in breadcrumbs.:dribble::dribble:

They are traditionally served in a long curved length with a fried egg, accompanied by chips and peas. Although they are sold in coils they are meant to be cut to the length you would like to eat before being cooked, :pnot served in coils as is common outside Cumbria.:rolleyes:

a wee bit of common sense is always advisable and ofcourse one could always get ones butcher to either cut it up like normal sausages or get the ones that are not coiled.;)

I like getting them as a big sausagey frisbee with a fried egg on top. Accompanied with beans, mushrooms, chips and another egg. Add brown sauce and a mug of tea and I'm in hog heaven!!

maroonlegions
I like getting them as a big sausagey frisbee with a fried egg on top. Accompanied with beans, mushrooms, chips and another egg. Add brown sauce and a mug of tea and I'm in hog heaven!!

true , tasty sausages they are , my egg has to be nice and oozy though and a couple of nice fresh buttered rolls on the side.:dribble::dribble::)

There is a letter in the Times today saying the Cumberland sausage was not named for geographical reasons. apparently it was made all over the North of England from the meat of the Cumberland pig; a predominant breed in the region for generations.

Now don't ask how the pig breed got it's name!

Archived