Customer Service in the UK

Stuart Lyon

What is it about the service industries in the UK?

Called a firm today looking for information about their shower screen range in particular a replacement seal. We are not called that we are some other name. I don?t recognise the product name or code she said. Then she volunteered the information that the company I had called had changed it?s name from the company I was looking for! Why couldn?t she just have acknowledged that immediately? She promised her colleague would call me and she did and after few minutes she said one would be sent out free of charge in the post. Result.

After completing that call I retrieved a message from Sony asking me to call. I duly did so and after the usual runaround with menu choices etc someone eventually asked me where they could pick-up my broken laptop for repair under warranty. This is the laptop that I had taken back to John Lewis last Thursday! JL said it can take up to 28 days to be returned but usually it was 10. Yesterday they, JL, called looking for the passwords so they could do an over the phone diagnostic test with Sony to establish whether the laptop should be sent back. Why did it take them 4 days to figure out they needed the passwords.

Anyway I called JL to tell them about Sony?s call re picking up the laptop and they say its ridiculous as Sony should know the situation as they pick-up from JL everyday. Looks like my laptop won?t be returned in 10 days.

I then set about tracking down another shower screen replacement seal and got in touch with the manufactures Carron. They said I would need to go to a plumber?s merchant and order the part as they, Carron, didn?t deal direct with the public. I went to Plum Centre at the Gyle where the guy was most disinterested. He said I would be better going to the Shower Doctor as they stock universal fitting seals. He said he would have to order it from the manufacturer and I would have to wait until it came into stock. I just got the impression that it was too much bother for him to do the paperwork. I wonder if his company appreciate him diverting business to competitors?

Today?s rant over. :mad:

I had a problem with a shower seal but e-mailed the company direct and they sent me out a free replacement one.

Which was nice.

this_is_my_story
What is it about the service industries in the UK?

Called a firm today looking for information about their shower screen range in particular a replacement seal. We are not called that we are some other name. I don?t recognise the product name or code she said. Then she volunteered the information that the company I had called had changed it?s name from the company I was looking for! Why couldn?t she just have acknowledged that immediately? She promised her colleague would call me and she did and after few minutes she said one would be sent out free of charge in the post. Result.

After completing that call I retrieved a message from Sony asking me to call. I duly did so and after the usual runaround with menu choices etc someone eventually asked me where they could pick-up my broken laptop for repair under warranty. This is the laptop that I had taken back to John Lewis last Thursday! JL said it can take up to 28 days to be returned but usually it was 10. Yesterday they, JL, called looking for the passwords so they could do an over the phone diagnostic test with Sony to establish whether the laptop should be sent back. Why did it take them 4 days to figure out they needed the passwords.

Anyway I called JL to tell them about Sony?s call re picking up the laptop and they say its ridiculous as Sony should know the situation as they pick-up from JL everyday. Looks like my laptop won?t be returned in 10 days.

I then set about tracking down another shower screen replacement seal and got in touch with the manufactures Carron. They said I would need to go to a plumber?s merchant and order the part as they, Carron, didn?t deal direct with the public. I went to Plum Centre at the Gyle where the guy was most disinterested. He said I would be better going to the Shower Doctor as they stock universal fitting seals. He said he would have to order it from the manufacturer and I would have to wait until it came into stock. I just got the impression that it was too much bother for him to do the paperwork. I wonder if his company appreciate him diverting business to competitors?

Today?s rant over. :mad:

Seems like the boy you dealt with there should feel right at home then!:)

I moved house 3 months ago and the amount of time i spent dealing with people passing me on to other people who equally had no clue was infuriating.

BT, Virgin media and edinburgh council were just a bloody pain.

Recently i was phoning orange and their service was so bad, I was put through to another customer!

siegementality

I regularly get calls from BT asking me to switch back to them and take great delight in telling them their service is so bad I will never go back. The guy then says perhaps if I phone you back in a few months you'll have changed your mind, I always say, oh OK then.

Two months later the process starts again..........some people really can't take a hint.

...after the usual runaround with menu choices...

Ah, my pet hate. Menu choices and phone queues. Nothing could better illustrate the contempt in which businesses and authorities in Britain hold members of the public than the ubiquity of these affronts to civilisation.

Do I want to listen to the ****ing Housemartins and pay for the privilege? No sir, I do not.

Has it not yet occurred to any of our dim-witted politicians, hand in hand though they may be with the above bodies, that the first party to introduce legislation forcing businesses and government bodies to pay for all the time they keep Joe Public hanging on the line (thus precipitating a speedy end to this horrible trend) listening to Mozart and "your call is important to us" will win a landslide election victory?

Ah, my pet hate. Menu choices and phone queues. Nothing could better illustrate the contempt in which businesses and authorities in Britain hold members of the public than the ubiquity of these affronts to civilisation.

Do I want to listen to the ****ing Housemartins and pay for the privilege? No sir, I do not.

Has it not yet occurred to any of our dim-witted politicians, hand in hand though they may be with the above bodies, that the first party to introduce legislation forcing businesses and government bodies to pay for all the time they keep Joe Public hanging on the line (thus precipitating a speedy end to this horrible trend) listening to Mozart and "your call is important to us" will win a landslide election victory?

Hear Hear! if the call was so F****** important to them, then they would answer the F****** phone. I get so angry I could slam the phone down!

Archived