Screws in bone

Gershwin

Anyone else got them? Had a knee op last August and I've apparently got a couple of screws holding my ligament in place.

Anyway, I noticed at the weekend that I've now got a bump at top of my tibia and the physio thinks it's the way the bone has grown around the screws. It's also a wee bit sore, not agony, just like a bruise. Just seems a bit odd.

Is it just something that happens quite often or am I some kind of medical first?

vladtheexhaler
Anyone else got them? Had a knee op last August and I've apparently got a couple of screws holding my ligament in place.

Anyway, I noticed at the weekend that I've now got a bump at top of my tibia and the physio thinks it's the way the bone has grown around the screws. It's also a wee bit sore, not agony, just like a bruise. Just seems a bit odd.

Is it just something that happens quite often or am I some kind of medical first?

I have screws and plates in my hand but the only unusual bump is my knuckle which now sits about half an inch from where it used to be, which is nice.

Had an operation on my metatarsal as well to clean up the extra bone that had grown there after I had broken it previously.

I also broke the hand that isn't screwed together and there are definite bumps where the bones knitted back together.

So it would appear to be fairly normal.

Had my ACL reconstructed a few years ago - not got any lumps where the screws were inserted. I do get occasional pains but thats part and parcel of having dodgy knees I think. Best thing you can do is keep your leg muscles built up, I've recently started cycling and this has helped greatly.

Had my ACL reconstructed a few years ago - not got any lumps where the screws were inserted. I do get occasional pains but thats part and parcel of having dodgy knees I think. Best thing you can do is keep your leg muscles built up, I've recently started cycling and this has helped greatly.

Aye I just finished rehab in June. Physio was pretty much saying it's leg weights for the rest of my life. I've managed to totally bulk up my thighs (oo-er) just from the punishing rehab.

Also going to start taking glucosamine and chondroitin for my joints as they're a bit creaky (doesn't help being diabetic - yes I'm falling apart)

Smashed my kneecap to pieces and has wire and screws put in . After about a year the pain was still there , when i knelt felt i was kneeling on a screw and also my movement was still very restricted.Had another op to remove the wire and pins , the movement is good now, but still get the pains!!

I've 2 screws in my wrist, never had a problem with them, done 7 odd years ago, barely a scar never mind odd lumps or bumps!

Had screws and a couple of plates 'added' to my leg about 15 years ago (Eduardo style break) but had to have them taken out again.

One of the screws had worked itself out and was catching the main nerve that runs to my foot. Yes, I did have a loose screw!

alwaysthereinspirit

Have three titanium screws in my ankle. Had the surgery 5 years ago and never had a problem. Every one told me it would ache in the cold weather but nothing ever bothered me.

Broke my fib, tib and dislocated my ankle about 2.5 years ago playing 5's - Had to get a plate and several screws in.

It was still giving me a bit of discomfort after 2 years so 2 months ago I went into Murrayfield to get them out. Feeling ok so far - Still seem to have a raised bit of bone around the scar where the plate was...... not sure if this is just the scar tissue that has built up around that area tho. Time will tell I suppose, only recently got back to proper excercise.

Aye I just finished rehab in June. Physio was pretty much saying it's leg weights for the rest of my life. I've managed to totally bulk up my thighs (oo-er) just from the punishing rehab.

Also going to start taking glucosamine and chondroitin for my joints as they're a bit creaky (doesn't help being diabetic - yes I'm falling apart)

This was recommended to me by a mate who takes the stuff. Have you done any research ? If not , you might want to before you start. Stomach problems are a possible serious side effect.

This was recommended to me by a mate who takes the stuff. Have you done any research ? If not , you might want to before you start. Stomach problems are a possible serious side effect.

My physio recommended it to me. I'll scour the net for some stories.

Sawdust Caesar

I got a hip replacement a few years ago and they screwed the socket bit into my hip rather than cement it, some bone will grow round the screws which in my case may make the joint stronger.

As for glucosamine sulphate, I have been on it for a good few years now, no problems as of yet but I did read about some bloke in Dundee who had a bad reaction or side-effect to it. I think some studies say it can lead to diabetes, also if you are allergic to shellfish then avoid it. I was also on anti-inflammatories for about 10 years and they knackered up my stomach lining which is a common side-effect. :(

As for glucosamine sulphate, I have been on it for a good few years now, no problems as of yet but I did read about some bloke in Dundee who had a bad reaction or side-effect to it. I think some studies say it can lead to diabetes, also if you are allergic to shellfish then avoid it. I was also on anti-inflammatories for about 10 years and they knackered up my stomach lining which is a common side-effect. :(

Already got type 1 diabetes!!!

Got about a dozen titanium screws ion my collar bone about 11 years ago. Still got them in, however when it's cold and damp outside it can be a bit sore.

my brother had a metal plate holding his jaw together. a few months after it was put in one of the screws started to come through his gum so they decided to take the plate back out again

Archived