Thomson a bit casual

Fxxx the SPFL

Fxxx the SPFL

Was it just me but does Jason look a bit casual at times seems to take one touch too many then have to rush the pass.

heartsfc_fan

Well he is a young lad so we can probably let him off.

Don't worry though, Robbie will save us soon ;)

Clerry Jambo

A young lad, inexperienced at this level, lets give him a break and Time!!

I'm not saying he is the answer to the Right Back position but lets give him a decent run to gain a bit confidence hopefully being part of a winning team.

This could well apply to our other younger players - if the team can get off to a decent start ( not expecting anything at Hunbrox by the way ) players will grow in confidence and we'll see what talent they have.

Drylaw Hearts
The lad is a complete carbon copy of Robbie Neilson, even the way he runs is exactly the same. :(

Agreed.

He offers nothing going forward. And defensively I don't think he's as good as Neilson. so I'd rather have Robbie.

Guest JamboRobbo
He offers nothing going forward. And defensively I don't think he's as good as Neilson. so I'd rather have Robbie.

Agreed. Did better in the second half than the first though, and deserves a few more run outs to see if he has anything to offer. But it already looks like he probably doesn't IMO.

Looked a bit out of his depth first half, came on a lot in the second though. Thought he finished strongly.

Neilson will be first choice when he's fit, i'm sure Csaba mentioned something about us missing our most experienced player.

Another one of these 'defenders' who dawdles back, using up precious 'basic control' time and ends up close to the bye line / side line and facing the wrong way with an opponent up his erse :ahhhhhhh:

He had a quality pink fireman hat on last night... and what i think was his missus was nae too csabby

i thought he looked nervous throughout the game. Every time he got the ball he didn't know what to do with it. he will be found out against better opposition.

I know it seems harsh but it is reality

Nelly Terraces
I thought he improved a lot in the 2nd half.

Agree.

1st half he was accident waiting to happen. One particular point when the ball ran free and it was 50/50 wi an oppo player, he got caught in 2 minds, either to go in for the challenge, or hang back, he sort of froze and the Mudderhell dude just got the ball and went past him no sweat.

Dunno if he was a bit nervous playin directly down the line in front of Shabba, but 2nd half, he looked far more solid, he put in one brilliant crunching tackle that he wrongly got a foul against him for, near midway on the inside, (anyone remember it?) which was the exact opposite from what he'd done before in the incident above 1st half. Definitely NOT the finished article by any means, but deffo upped his game 2nd half. Give the lad time and you never know.

He's a Neilson Mark II, which in footballing language means he's a dud. Dunno if he's quite as slow as Neilson, but his touch and awareness are as dismal, when he's got the ball he runs with his head down totally unaware of what's happening around him.

To be fair to the poor lad, he's learnt from the worst. I hope he doesn't stick around (or be loyal as it's sometimes wrongly called...) for a friggin decade....

Striker and a right-back please Romanov....

Hungry Heart

The boy is as good as Neilson and still has time to improve. The fact that Thomson can cross a ball has me believing he should be ahead of Robbie in the pecking order.

I would still like to see a new right-back brought in though. If not, stick Kari there when Palazuelos comes back from suspension.

He's at least as good as Robbie and will probably improve with coaching. He did get some hospital balls on Saturday - others need to take responsibility too.

The boy is as good as Neilson and still has time to improve. The fact that Thomson can cross a ball has me believing he should be ahead of Robbie in the pecking order.

I would still like to see a new right-back brought in though. If not, stick Kari there when Palazuelos comes back from suspension.

I think he's only about 20/21 so surely he has a couple of years to improve?

I thought he improved a lot in the 2nd half.

I agree, 1st half he was probably the worst player on the park, too lacks in possesion (which he kept losing/giving away, too casual when defending and was guilty of ball watching for the majority of the half.

Totally different player after the break, solid, quick, composed and calm, I'd put the change down to Csaba giving him an earful at the break. Finally someone who can kick some asses and get a positive reaction!

I agree, 1st half he was probably the worst player on the park, too lacks in possesion (which he kept losing/giving away, too casual when defending and was guilty of ball watching for the majority of the half.

Totally different player after the break, solid, quick, composed and calm, I'd put the change down to Csaba giving him an earful at the break. Finally someone who can kick some asses and get a positive reaction!

Perhaps it was more of an arm around the shoulder?

Looks like he good do with a loan spell in the 1st division to toughen him up a bit and given him some experience of 1st team football as I don't think he is nearly ready for a run in the Hearts starting 11. Bit nervy on the ball and positionally suspect though I would defend him in that Larry was giving hopeless cover.

As I'm no fan of Neilson right back along with a new keeper and at least 1 striker should be priority. Get 3 in for those positions and we would have the makings of a right good side.

Guest JamboRobbo
Looks like he good do with a loan spell in the 1st division to toughen him up a bit and given him some experience of 1st team football as I don't think he is nearly ready for a run in the Hearts starting 11.

Bit nervy on the ball and positionally suspect though I would defend him in that Larry was giving hopeless cover.

Agree, the worrying thing being, he's supposed to have done that bit already.

Got a bad injury when he was at Livi and couldn't play many games.

He is still learning and has potential. I agree he wasn't the best player on the park on Sat but how are our young lads meant to improve their game unless we give them a shot. Stick him in a team that increases in confidence week on week and he may florish. He has had a couple of wee runs in the the first team but every time he has played is when the team has been struggling (flu epademic under Robbo and Shaggy's disaster of a team at the end of last season). Give him a chance in a decent team to see what he can really do.

Guest JamboRobbo
Got a bad injury when he was at Livi and couldn't play many games.

Wasn't aware he'd been injured so fair enough.

He is still learning and has potential. I agree he wasn't the best player on the park on Sat but how are our young lads meant to improve their game unless we give them a shot.

By going to a first division team and getting games under their belt. If he didn't manage to do that last time due to injury, that is still no reason to put him in the Hearts first team before he is ready.....he should be loaned out again if that is the case.

Playing for HMFC first team before they are ready is not good for HMFC, or for the player. Just look at Calumn Elliot for an example. He's not that a bad player. But his confidence is destroyed and he may never recover.

I know but I'm starting the season in a positive frame of mind and trying not to be over critical !!

From what I have seen of Thhomson if I'm being honest I'm extremely sceptical he will ever be of a standard we as fans will be happy with but as you know I dread the return of Robbie almost as much. Definitely a problem position for us and personally I would play Karipidis there until we make a signing as we have plenty midfielders and don't need to have him in that role. It seems especially at Tynie our full backs get loads of the ball and we simply must find someone with more ability on the right to take possession and keep it.

By going to a first division team and getting games under their belt. If he didn't manage to do that last time due to injury, that is still no reason to put him in the Hearts first team before he is ready.....he should be loaned out again if that is the case.

Playing for HMFC first team before they are ready is not good for HMFC, or for the player. Just look at Calumn Elliot for an example. He's not that a bad player. But his confidence is destroyed and he may never recover.

Fair enough things didn?t work for Callum but he was loaned out to Motherwell a decent prospect and came back a nerve ravaged wreck of a footballer. Jamie Mole looked an exciting player, went to Livi, then QOS and it?s taken him nearly a year to get back in the first team picture. The whole loan thing doesn?t necessarily work because sometimes players just cannot play at a lower level. What about Naysmith, Ritchie, Magic and Locke? None of these boys went on loan to a first division team and it didn?t do them any harm. At the moment we don?t have anybody who is miles better than Jason at Right back so why not give him a chance in the mean time. Especially whilst Robbie out.

rossthejambo

he broke his ankle about 3 months into his loan spell at livi and had to have surgery to get it sorted IIRC so i think that will have had an impact on him.

IMO he is a lot better going forward than neilson. he is a good passer of the ball the majority of the time and he can actually cross it given the chance (something robbie can't seem to manage). think if he gets a good run of games and a bit of confidence then he could be a half decent player for us.

would still like a better RB than robbie for him to learn from though

Guest JamboRobbo
Fair enough things didn?t work for Callum but he was loaned out to Motherwell a decent prospect and came back a nerve ravaged wreck of a footballer. Jamie Mole looked an exciting player, went to Livi, then QOS and it?s taken him nearly a year to get back in the first team picture. The whole loan thing doesn?t necessarily work because sometimes players just cannot play at a lower level. What about Naysmith, Ritchie, Magic and Locke? None of these boys went on loan to a first division team and it didn?t do them any harm.

None of them were playing in the Hearts first team before they were ready though.....yes, they were in young and early, but pretty much performed from day one. Which is all that is expected by me from Jason Thomson. If he isn't ready to perform yet (for whatever reason) then he shouldn't be in yet. I don't think thats unreasonable.

At the moment we don?t have anybody who is miles better than Jason at Right back so why not give him a chance in the mean time. Especially whilst Robbie out.

If he's the best we've got available, fine. I guess my point is, if he's not the best we've got available, he shouldn't play just cause he's young......

If he's the best we've got available, fine. I guess my point is, if he's not the best we've got available, he shouldn't play just cause he's young......

I totally agree with you but the situation as I can see it is he is the best we have at the moment. In my opinion he is equal to Robbie at the moment but has scope for improvement in the future. If Hearts were to sign a top quality right back tomorrow I would be happy for JT to step aside. Can't see that happening so think we should get behind him and support him, at least until he has had enough games in a good team to be properly judged.

Guest JamboRobbo
I totally agree with you but the situation as I can see it is he is the best we have at the moment. In my opinion he is equal to Robbie at the moment but has scope for improvement in the future.

We'll have to agree to differ on that. Robbie is poor, but still better than Thomson right now IMO.

If Hearts were to sign a top quality right back tomorrow I would be happy for JT to step aside. Can't see that happening so think we should get behind him and support him, at least until he has had enough games in a good team to be properly judged.

But you just judged him - saying he's equal to or better than Robbie. So is what you're really saying, it's ok to praise him, but not to criticise him? :P

Never been that impressed with Thompson, just seems like Robbie Neilson mark two.

Did come on to a game on Saturday the longer the second half wore on. Not sure if that was because Miko was offering protection, something he was not really given that much of previously.

Still think a new RB should be high on the list.

But you just judged him - saying he's equal to or better than Robbie. So is what you're really saying, it's ok to praise him, but not to criticise him? :P

;) I dont think saying somebody is equal to Robbie is praise do you?

Guest JamboRobbo

Whats that saying? Damning with faint praise or something. :)

Salvatore's Tash
He had a quality pink fireman hat on last night... and what i think was his missus was nae too csabby

Class! :033:

Ha, it's all relative - surley.

Think back to 05/06 and how the flanks were built on two class players - Takis and Rudi would run their show and their talents would feed off one another. Playing this guy behind Larry is not the same ticket - and does not produce the same results. I'm so convinced that Larry has got it that I'd be inclined to let him put together the shopping list for what he''s looking for and then go buy - a storming right flank (all other things considered) could have us winning games that we should of been drawing - aka campaign material.

That said, totally agree with those who point out his youth and nerves - recall the number of first team players who were missing on Saturday, everyone (bar Makela) earned their shirt that day.

Deodato

I must admit that I don't really see anything in him as a player. No particular strengths and compared to Robbie he may be a bit faster but he's not as strong in the tackle or as good in the air. Anyone else noticed that Robbie wins a lot of headers for a guy of only 5' 9" or so?

Thomson hasn't done anything shocking but he hasn't offered anything either...plus the other players don't seem to pass to him unless he is in acres of space.

However, as others note he needs a few more opportunities - God knows we gave Elliot enough!!!Would be churlish to deny any youngster at least 10-20 games considering we've had to watch Elliot play about 70-odd

Dirk Diggler

Larry never offered Jason any protection whilst he was on the field on Saturday.

Motherwell also seen him as the 'weak link' and tried to get at him.

It's to his credit that he came on to a game and the Motherwell threat of the first half evaporated as the game wore on.

Not the finished article but if we can give Robbie Neilson 10 years, I think we can give Jason Thomson 10 games.

Charlie-Brown
Larry never offered Jason any protection whilst he was on the field on Saturday.

It's to his credit that he came on to a game and the Motherwell threat of the first half evaporated as the game wore on.

Not the finished article but if we can give Robbie Neilson 10 years, I think we can give Jason Thomson 10 games.

Neilson at the same age was way worse than Thomson has been in his early games and Robbie had a lot more experienced players in the team beside him to lean on.

Anyway the Thomson brothers are good Jambo kids. :)

Dirk Diggler
Neilson at the same age was way worse than Thomson has been in his early games and Robbie had a lot more experienced players in the team beside him to lean on.

Anyway the Thomson brothers are good Jambo kids. :)

Yes, yes they are.

:)

portobellojambo1

His girlfriend, whom I assume is the person you refer to above as his Missus, works beside me, as do the girlfriends of three, maybe two, other younger players.

I thought Jason started off slowly on Saturday, but came onto a good performance second half. Unlike some I would rather persevere with him, and see if he can develop, rather than go back to someone who has had his time in that position, Robbie Neilson.

Charlie-Brown
Yes, yes they are.

:)

I think it's fair to say that in saturdays team only Jason Thomson & Mikey Stewart are Hearts supporters through & through.

WheatfieldStand

its only once Robbie is gone that we start to realise that he isnt as bad as we make him out to be.

After a few more games with Makela we will be begging Csaba to get Clum back in !:P

Charlie-Brown
its only once Robbie is gone that we start to realise that he isnt as bad as we make him out to be.

After a few more games with Makela we will be begging Csaba to get Clum back in !:P

Neilson was on the verge of being released after his early performances in the first team....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/3031305.stm

Corrie Jambo

How anyone can think that Robbie is better that this guy is crazy.

What he needs is an experienced centre half to talk to him like Pressley did with his wee boy Robbie.

This laddie needs time and Kingston must help him out more.

The People's Chimp

I thought he played okay. He looked a bit tentative and clearly didn't want to push forward and get caught out, you can hardly blame him for that.

Archived