Pressley banner

NEILY1874

Should the Elvis banner be replaced?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should the Elvis banner be replaced?

Having read in another thread that someone had broke into Tynie during the summer and burnt the Pressley legend banner i thought id do a poll to see what peoples thoughts are on it being replaced with a new elvis banner.

Personally i say replace it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shotgun-Boogie

However unlikley, I personally would love the psoter back.

Bring on the parochial Elvis haters!

Of course not!

They should put up a picture of a rat, that i have more respect for!

It will be destroyed again I reckon, so no point

Why shouldn't it be replaced ? He didn't chose to be picked as a legend and he didn't ask for his poster to be put up. It should go back or bring them all down.

Jam Tarts 1874
Having read in another thread that someone had broke into Tynie during the summer and burnt the Pressley legend banner i thought id do a poll to see what peoples thoughts are on it being replaced with a new elvis banner.

Personally i say replace it.

Do you believe everything you read on here?

Pants Shaton

Only if the committee of 25 real Hearts fans convene at Robertson's bar and approve the motion unanimously.

Of course it should be replaced, the banners are for Hearts' legends and there was no greater Hearts legend than Steven Pressley in the last decade.

I'm not voting in this poll because I don't think we should have players on Legend banners until they have retired from playing.

So... my response would be Yes - put it back when he has retired as a player.

It should not be replaced

there are plenty other legends of a by gone era that could go in its place

People who have not sullied themselfs when playing against us.

It should not be replaced

there are plenty other legends of a by gone era that could go in its place

People who have not sullied themselfs when playing against us.

How about those who sullied themselves when playing with us then? Should Henry Smith be taken down because of the 2 goals he shipped in the Scottish Cup semi-final of 1988? That is if we are applying the logic that one incident can overwrite many other years of loyal service.

It's been done to death on here many times, but Steven Pressley was a fantastically loyal servant for Hearts for 8 and a half years. He was almost single handedly responsible for holding our team together at times during that period, in my opinion his contribution was absolutely vital in 2005/6 when he led us to 2nd place in the league and a Scottish cup win. He is Hearts most capped international player. Anyone who has met him will tell you he is an absolute gentleman.

Anyone who let's one incident of chest thumping overwrite all that, is very small minded indeed.

put a banner up o Philibatis!

I suspect that might be burnt down by some of your Robbo's Bar colleagues given his exploits in mid-week.

Geoff Kilpatrick

For the simple reason that it was set on fire, yes! The vandal shouldn't be allowed to succeed.

How about those who sullied themselves when playing with us then? Should :confused: That is if we are applying the logic that one incident can overwrite many other years of loyal service.

It's been done to death on here many times, but Steven Pressley was a fantastically loyal servant for Hearts for 8 and a half years. He was almost single handedly responsible for holding our team together at times during that period, in my opinion his contribution was absolutely vital in 2005/6 when he led us to 2nd place in the league and a Scottish cup win. He is Hearts most capped international player. Anyone who has met him will tell you he is an absolute gentleman.

Anyone who let's one incident of chest thumping overwrite all that, is very small minded indeed.

Small minded to you maybe

I for one was disgusted they way he rubbed it in our noses.

Maybe rubbing fans noses in it could be portrayed as small minded ?

Ps re the Henry smith incident. I still blame Mark Mcghee for that. It was a blatant push.

Further to this a certain Mr Whittaker scored that day and has now unfortunately passed away.

Maybe more appropriate having him up as a banner.

To the people that said yes should the poster be of him in the Hearts kit with his fist raised, or should it be of him in his first Celtic game at Tynie with his fisted raised, thumbing his chest to the Celtic fans?

Small minded to you maybe

I for one was disgusted they way he rubbed it in our noses.

Maybe rubbing fans noses in it could be portrayed as small minded ?

Ps re the Henry smith incident. I still blame Mark Mcghee for that. It was a blatant push.

Further to this a certain Mr Whittaker scored that day and has now unfortunately passed away.

Maybe more appropriate having him up as a banner.

It was a moment of stupidity from Pressley, I don't think you'll hear anyone arguing otherwise. However do you honestly believe that that one incident overwrites all of the positive things that Steven Pressley did for out club? If you do, that in my opinion, is much smaller minded. How many Scottish cup winning captains do Hearts have?

It was a moment of stupidity from Pressley, I don't think you'll hear anyone arguing otherwise. However do you honestly believe that that one incident overwrites all of the positive things that Steven Pressley did for out club? If you do, that in my opinion, is much smaller minded. How many Scottish cup winning captains do Hearts have?

point taken I agree he was a great when he wore the jersey.

Maybe the incident that we all agree was out of order.

Maybe it is to fresh in the memory at the moment to have a legend banner round tynecastle.

Like I have stated before maybe so else would be more appropriate.

We both must agree there are plenty people who could be up there.

MacDonald Jardine
How about those who sullied themselves when playing with us then? Should Henry Smith be taken down because of the 2 goals he shipped in the Scottish Cup semi-final of 1988? That is if we are applying the logic that one incident can overwrite many other years of loyal service.

If he deliberately let in the goals of course he should.

Not quite the same thing is it?

If he deliberately let in the goals of course he should.

Not quite the same thing is it?

I take it you've voted yes on the John Robertson poll then? After all he deliberately touted himself for the Hibs job.:)

MacDonald Jardine
I take it you've voted yes on the John Robertson poll then? After all he deliberately touted himself for the Hibs job.:)

There's a difference, as I suspect you know.

MacDonald Jardine
Which is?

Had Robertson come out and said something like " I want to be Hibs manager to stick it up the Hearts ****" I could see the analogy.

Presumably Paul Hartley should be hated as well by all the "knuckledraggers"?

Guest JamboRobbo
Had Robertson come out and said something like " I want to be Hibs manager to stick it up the Hearts ****" I could see the analogy.

Had Pressley come out and said "I'm thumping my chest to stick it up the Hearts support" I could see your point. But he didn't.

I've no idea what basis the knuckledraggers base their hatred upon. Maybe you could tell me.

MacDonald Jardine
Had Pressley come out and said "I'm thumping my chest to stick it up the Hearts support" I could see your point. But he didn't.

He didn't have to. That's in practice what he did.

I've no idea what basis the knuckledraggers base their hatred upon. Maybe you could tell me.

Can you not reply without resorting to personal abuse?

See above

I think as part of being manager of being manager of our greatest rivals, sticking it up Hearts would very much come with the territory.

Paul Hartley for a long time was hated by the 'knuckledraggers', especially after he put in a transfer request for a move to Celtic. I remember for a long time several contributors on the bigot haven that was Hearts-Mad.co.uk used to refer to him as 'John-Paul Hartley' and pick their teams for the weekend's game without Hartley in it, regardless of how well he was playing.

Why did he do it then ?

MacDonald Jardine
I think as part of being manager of being manager of our greatest rivals, sticking it up Hearts would very much come with the territory.

In the sense of beating Hearts and hoping to finish above them, yes.

You as a fair minded non knuckledragger will appreciate it's possible to perform a job with dignity and respect for rivals without resorting to cheap jibes and petty displays like Pressley showed.

Paul Hartley for a long time was hated by the 'knuckledraggers', especially after he put in a transfer request for a move to Celtic. I remember for a long time several contributors on the bigot haven that was Hearts-Mad.co.uk used to refer to him as 'John-Paul Hartley' and pick their teams for the weekend's game without Hartley in it, regardless of how well he was playing.

I'm not going to defend all of that but there is a difference between a current player demanding a transfer and the way Pressley moved.

My point was you can't categorise everyone who disagrees with you on this as a bigoted knuckledragger.

See above

Only if the committee of 25 real Hearts fans convene at Robertson's bar and approve the motion unanimously.

Quality!

MacDonald Jardine
Good avoiding the question and ignoring the point.

Avoiding the question?

Pressley's actions had the appearance of a massive "**** You" to Hearts and the supporters. He should have known that. If he didn't he isn't the clear thinking leader he is portrayed as.

Why don't you answer instead of making cheap jibes?

shaun.lawson

Yes. Not because he's a legend; not because he went up to lift the Scottish Cup. But purely and simply, to annoy the crap out of the usual suspects. :)

Guest JamboRobbo
Avoiding the question?

Pressley's actions had the appearance of a massive "**** You" to Hearts and the supporters.

Whereas a Hearts legend lowering himself to the point of touting himself for the Hibs managed job doesn't? Aye right.

MacDonald Jardine
Whereas a Hearts legend lowering himself to the point of touting himself for the Hibs managed job doesn't? Aye right.

Are you going to answer the point about Pressley?

MacDonald Jardine
Yes. Not because he's a legend; not because he went up to lift the Scottish Cup. But purely and simply, to annoy the crap out of the usual suspects. :)

It's presence will give you a warm glow when you're sitting on your couch in Oxford will it?

Not another Elvis thread!....boring!! Pressley will go down in Hearts folklore as a legend whether or not the haters and the small-minded like it or not. The chest-thumping incident was a bit stupid, we all agree but let's not forget what was going on at the club at the time and like it or not, it was directed at Romanov and the way the club was being run, it wasn't directed at the Hearts support, had he came over to where our fans were then that would've been a different thing altogether. Time to move on and get over it!!

Guest JamboRobbo
Are you going to answer the point about Pressley?

Yes. He's the greatest, and was getting it up Romanov and the knuckledraggers, not the real Hearts fans.. I know, because he told me. Fact.

I'd replace it, with someone more deserving. Leigh Jenkinson, Jeremy Goss, Peter Van de Ven, Colin Miller or Craig Nelson being venerated as legends would annoy me less than seeing his 2 faces up there every other Saturday.

I'd suggest Gary Locke, lifted the cup for us, and provided an example for future players on how to behave even when they have left!

shaun.lawson
It's presence will give you a warm glow when you're sitting on your couch in Oxford will it?

Yes. Not because of his significance to the club - but because putting a banner back up would be very, very funny. :)

shaun.lawson

I'd suggest Gary Locke, lifted the cup for us, and provided an example for future players on how to behave even when they have left!

Speaking of whom...

http://gb.setanta.tv/Templates/News/NewsArticle.aspx?id=53055

Gary Locke ? He may not have had the most style or grace in The SPL, but he was known for his passion in the midfield. A no-nonsense player who gave his all for any manager and was a fearsome opponent.

:hae36:

He was the leader of our team for almost a decade, he captained us to a Scottish Cup win. He gave 100% every time he wore the shirt.

Legend in my opinon, the poster should go up !

MacDonald Jardine
Not another Elvis thread!....boring!! Pressley will go down in Hearts folklore as a legend whether or not the haters and the small-minded like it or not. The chest-thumping incident was a bit stupid, we all agree but let's not forget what was going on at the club at the time and like it or not, it was directed at Romanov and the way the club was being run, it wasn't directed at the Hearts support, had he came over to where our fans were then that would've been a different thing altogether. Time to move on and get over it!!

Well it seems we don't all agree.

There's more than a few on here quite happy to defend it.

Pants Shaton
I'd replace it, with someone more deserving. Leigh Jenkinson, Jeremy Goss, Peter Van de Ven, Colin Miller or Craig Nelson being venerated as legends would annoy me less than seeing his 2 faces up there every other Saturday.

Lifting a cup he played no part in winning: An act of pure egotism.

Edit: and he wasn't shafted by the club's owner and labelled 'the disease' (the cure may be painful...)

Yes. He's the greatest, and was getting it up Romanov and the knuckledraggers, not the real Hearts fans.. I know, because he told me. Fact.

fair enough he told you about romanov

In the grand scheme of things who has done more for the club

Romanov or Pressley

Romanov saved Hearts he is our current owner.

For me romanov = hearts the club which includes the fans.

He gets it up one of us he gets it up all of us.

I am sure I have read somewhere TOGETHER.

JR perhaps your loyalties are a bit misconstrued.

No offence intended I know it is just a matter of opinion.

Guest JamboRobbo

Romanov or Pressley

Another with the inability to tell the difference between HMFC and Romanov. Romanov is the current owner, nothing more, nothing less.

Did you have the same issue when Pieman was the owner?

Were all those "Pieman GTF" chants digs at Pieman = hearts the club which includes the fans?

Pants Shaton

Romanov or Pressley

To believe Romanov IS Heart of Midlothian is tragic.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I misunderstood the OP in my vote.

Of course there should be a Pressley banner.

The greatest club captain since Dave McKay.

Welcome back anytime Elvis.

Archived