Pregnant women and smoking

shaun.lawson

what a nonsense

of course there is

Harvey Jordan was the result of a gentic problem. Apparently. This is by no means a joke about Harvey. Cos that wouldnt be funny. Or big, or clever.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if I was to hypothecate...........

People on here who are not against smoking whilst pregnant either were an unborn child themselves that was the subject to their mother's smoking whilst in the womb or their wife did so with their own kid.

I am pretty sure all deep down disagree with it but perhaps through understandable love and loyalty don't want to say anything bad against their loved one.

Am I right?

Harvey Jordan was the result of a gentic problem. Apparently. This is by no means a joke about Harvey. Cos that wouldnt be funny. Or big, or clever.

eh!!

I aint talking about Harvey, I am saying that smoking whilst preganant has been scientifically proven to potentially do harm. FACT

I know! My original picture of harvey was to prove a point that smoking and drinking fecks up your kids (hence the sarcasm, maybe I should have used a smiley?!?). I then got a poster having a go at me for it and attempting to take the moral high ground even though it was a joke, which apparently isnt funny.

Anyway back to the thread, I agree with you 100%. Women who smoke heavily throughout pregnancy are eejits. I wouldnt mind my gf having an occasional fag (by occasional i mean having only 1 at times when she is very very stressed) as surely a stressd mother is worse for a kid than a cigarette? Not that Im condoning it , i would just understand.

I think if I was to hypothecate...........

People on here who are not against smoking whilst pregnant either were an unborn child themselves that was the subject to their mother's smoking whilst in the womb or their wife did so with their own kid.

I am pretty sure all deep down disagree with it but perhaps through understandable love and loyalty don't want to say anything bad against their loved one.

Am I right?

In some cases you might be, I really couldn't say.

I have a different perspective. I have two close friends, both of whom have had several miscarriages. Neither smoked, and both did "all the right things" when pregnant. Both of them recounted to me their experiences of walking out of the same maternity unit in Dublin, passing heavily pregnant women smoking outside the front door. Both of them told me how they were almost overcome with blind anger, and the nearly irresistible urge to yell and scream at these women. But they didn't give in to their anger, because doing so really doesn't help.

Until we actually have to face being poor and stressed, or be hooked on fags, alcohol or drugs, none of us can say with any certainty that we'd be strong where others are weak. It's unfortunate, it's regrettable, and of course it makes us ****ed off and angry. But it's the way humanity is, and pointing the finger at others doesn't change that.

I saw a piece of graffiti on a hoarding in Dublin years ago that said

If you had that life, would you live it differently?

That's not a bad question to ask ourselves before having a go at others.

Pants Shaton

I saw a piece of graffiti in a public toilet in Edinburgh that said:

'**** the Hibs'

Makes you think, doesn't it.

I saw a piece of graffiti in a public toilet in Edinburgh that said:

'**** the Hibs'

Makes you think, doesn't it.

It would, if I wasn't already thinking that way. :biggrin:

J.T.F.Robertson
In some cases you might be, I really couldn't say.

I have a different perspective. I have two close friends, both of whom have had several miscarriages. Neither smoked, and both did "all the right things" when pregnant. Both of them recounted to me their experiences of walking out of the same maternity unit in Dublin, passing heavily pregnant women smoking outside the front door. Both of them told me how they were almost overcome with blind anger, and the nearly irresistible urge to yell and scream at these women. But they didn't give in to their anger, because doing so really doesn't help.

Until we actually have to face being poor and stressed, or be hooked on fags, alcohol or drugs, none of us can say with any certainty that we'd be strong where others are weak. It's unfortunate, it's regrettable, and of course it makes us ****ed off and angry. But it's the way humanity is, and pointing the finger at others doesn't change that.

Much too reasoned. http://www.lyricsdownload.com/joe-south-walk-a-mile-in-my-shoes-lyrics.html

"Walk a mile in my shoes

just walk a mile in my shoes

Before you abuse, criticize and accuse

Then walk a mile in my shoes"

Kalamazoo Jambo
Much too reasoned. http://www.lyricsdownload.com/joe-south-walk-a-mile-in-my-shoes-lyrics.html

"Walk a mile in my shoes

just walk a mile in my shoes

Before you abuse, criticize and accuse

Then walk a mile in my shoes"

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you've criticized them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

LizzyHearts2

ok guys, time out i think. let's go back to basics whatever that might be for any of us. I am posting this after having lost my baby at 12 weeks. None of you have any idea what it feels like.(ok, mb a few???). I will not go into detail about what happened but believe me, no matter what, the whole situation changes you forever. I do not know what i did wrong, all i know is that i embraced my pregnancy with joy despite feeling tired and sick 24 hrs a day! I lost my baby thru natural causes and even that does not help. Please let this thread drop, life is too short.

J.T.F.Robertson
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you've criticized them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

The auld ones are always the best ...... well, sometimes .... alright, on the odd occasion .... OK then, rarely. ;)

Archived