Csaba's Broon Shoes

With the new season almost upon us what clashes with the Well are stored

in your memory bank , the matches against the steelmen that have had

some added spice .

For me it was a league cup game at Tynecastle August 83ish when we Doddie

scored a late winner to set up a quarter-final meeting with St Midden

I can remember our player-manager hitting the ball with the out-side of his

foot at the Gorgie Road end into the rounded stantioned goal-nets on a sunny

afternoon just as the sun was setting over the Wheatfield shed .

In them days the league cup was a shorter competition played over a few months

Geoff Kilpatrick

Jan 1996 - on a Baltic Wednesday night in January we destroyed them 4-0 (we should have scored 10). Allan Johnston scored an absolute peach of a volley.

I remember a game in late December, 3-1 i think, under Jordan and it took us 3 points clear at the top. At Tynie and it was pishing, Im sure we were still top on 1st Jan, and making sure the neighbours knew on Hogmanay.

hinksikensi

had some right ups and downs following hearts v mudderwell! remember few years back now getting pumped 6-0 or 6-1 (left after the 4th!) at fir park. Mcfadden gave our right back a crucifying if i recall. Also one of my earlier games in 88 or 89 when Crabbo scored a peach of a free kick, cant remeber score but we won.

funktasticlad

22nd December 2001 Hearts 3 Motherwell 1

Ricardo Fuller runs riot by completing his brace by picking the ball up in his own half skinning three players then rounds the keeper.

Brilliant!

the two i remember were in the 97/98 season (?) when stephane adam scored a diving header into an open net, to put us 4-0 up or something like that

the other was when ricardo fuller skinned 7 players and rounded the goaly

(i still wish that was on youtube - one of the greatest spl goals imo)

this_is_my_story

Had just been watching some JT's footage on YouTube, seen this thread and had to post this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNUH4L4lC0o

Pretty crap recording quality, but the Hearts goals are magic, JC's in particular is a peach which I remember well.

If only cloning had been around in those days!

I remember going through there midweek as clear faves and they pumped us 6-0 :( im sure it was their 1st win in ages too? Typical jambos breaking everyones duck!

Some classic 4-something games through there though!

Smoked-Glass

in 2002-03 season when we were 2-0 down at tynecastle but came back to win 4-2 and it should have been 5 but our 5th was chalked off for no good reason.

scott herbertson
A Texaco Cup game at their place, back during the Triassic. :sad:

We had some real tussles with them in the Texaco

Ford scored a cracker in the home leg of the semi-final. I think he was hacked down, picked himself up and took the free kick himself form about twenty yards and belted it into the top corner.

I think it may have also been against Motherwell that Donald Ford got his only booking of his career. He threw the ball back to the referee after a foul had been blown for - unfortunately the ref wasn't paying attention and it hit him. He then booked Ford and Tynecastle erupted - I remember everyone surging down to the front and some very nervous coppers.

A shame that booking could never be rescinded but typical of Ford that he never complained.

this_is_my_story
in 2002-03 season when we were 2-0 down at tynecastle but came back to win 4-2 and it should have been 5 but our 5th was chalked off for no good reason.

Didn't we beat them 4-2 at Fir Park in the 97/98 season after being 2-0 down as well? Seem to remember big Hammy scoring a beauty that day.

Hackney Hearts

1970's 3-3 draw at Tynecastle, back when Willie Pettigrew played for them (he probably scored).

They were doing well at the time and it was an unusually large crowd of around 15,000.

I'm off to London Hearts to check the stats...

had some right ups and downs following hearts v mudderwell! remember few years back now getting pumped 6-0 or 6-1 (left after the 4th!) at fir park. Mcfadden gave our right back a crucifying if i recall. Also one of my earlier games in 88 or 89 when Crabbo scored a peach of a free kick, cant remeber score but we won.

I could think of a few!! 1st, probably the Scottish Cup winning 4-0 (Feb 90), Colquhoun's goal. Levein passed to him just inside our own half and JC just ran and ran passed about 4 attempts to stop him then shimmied past the goalie to score, fab! The following Saturday we beat them 2-0 in the League and I remember McPherson getting Nick Cusack or Steve Kirk sent off and wee Tommy McLean standing at the dugout with a wee tartan cover over himself telling McPherson he was a f****n cheat. Kirk was a total to55er everytime he played against us I remember him booting the ball out of play in another game at Tynie after the ref blew his whistle and he smacked a wee lassie full in the face! TO55ER!! There's loads of others I could mention but I won't for now.

:fing25:

Totally agree

One of the best games i have been to.

Fir Park was packed to the rafters and above.

Great comeback

Great night.

:)

The Old Tolbooth

Strangely enough apart from a sodden cup replay win at Fir Park when Colquhoun scored (I think), the only memory that sticks out for me is a bad one, when we were horsed 6-0 at Fir Park when we had something like 9 players missing through illness or injury.

Has to be the time of the miners strike and Ravenscraig -- the cries if 'SCABS' 'SCABS' ringing out on the terraces was one of the more unusual sounds and sights at a football ground.

Hackney Hearts
1970's 3-3 draw at Tynecastle, back when Willie Pettigrew played for them (he probably scored).

They were doing well at the time and it was an unusually large crowd of around 15,000.

I'm off to London Hearts to check the stats...

Right, it was 29th Nov 1975, the crowd was 14,876 and our scorers were Aird, Jim Brown and a Busby penalty.

According to London Hearts, Motherwell's three were a hattrick by Missing. Whatever happened to him?

We owned them for most of the 90's. They couldn't buy a win against us.

Stephane Paille also scored a screamer against them. One of my favourite Hearts goals ever.

I remember a game must have been around 2003 when we beat them 1-0 with a Robert Sloan goal. The game itself was pretty dull, but the pre-match pints in the Shotts Hotel will stay with me forever - including having a pee trough around the bar so you wouldn't have to move.

:omg:

Does anyone remember the last game of the season, 1994-95? We needed a point to stay out of the play-offs, I believe, and beat Motherwell 2-0. I was 9 at the time and got a legover from me ma to take part in a very minor pitch invasion! Remember running into the centre circle, noticing how tall the footballers were then running back to the wheatfield stand!

Narrative Arc

The game at the end of the 83 seaon when they beat us 1-0 and we stayed down because of it. i think it was the dole card game. The Shed exploded that day. The worst i've ever seen it.

Ray Winstone

1-1 at Tynie in 97/98.

During the run in while we were seriously chasing the title it was a midweek game and I remember Motherwell were wearing that horrible highlighter yellow strip!

Neil McCann put us in front but they equalised in the second half.

I realised that night that we were not going to win the title.

Left the ground feeling absolutely gutted!

As painful as it was, the 2005 VIS Cuo semi-final stands out.

For those 5 minutes at the end, coming from 2-0 down.

Only game that sticks out for me is when JC scored a peach against them in the ****ing rain at Tynecastle. No idea of the score(4-0 maybe ?) but it would have be around the early-mid 90's. Just remember him picking the ball up from just inside his own half and he just kept running with it before sticking into a empty net after dropping the shoulder to the keeper.

Broxburn Jambo

Fantastic crowd, I think this was when for reasons of their own they really began to hate us

The game at the end of the 83 seaon when they beat us 1-0 and we stayed down because of it. i think it was the dole card game. The Shed exploded that day. The worst i've ever seen it.

That game was in May 1982 mate. The dole game was earlier in that season (81/82) IIRC.

January 1986 at fir park...1-0 down and won 3-1...snowing plenty that day :)

Nov 1986 at Fir Park we beat them 3-2 IIRC in a mid week game which was enjoyable.

Scottish Cup QF 1987 replay at fir park we won 1-0. Only to lose to St Mirren in the Semi :sad:

Guest casper

The famous picture that is my avatar was taken that day.

I could think of a few!! 1st, probably the Scottish Cup winning 4-0 (Feb 90), Colquhoun's goal. Levein passed to him just inside our own half and JC just ran and ran passed about 4 attempts to stop him then shimmied past the goalie to score, fab! The following Saturday we beat them 2-0 in the League and I remember McPherson getting Nick Cusack or Steve Kirk sent off and wee Tommy McLean standing at the dugout with a wee tartan cover over himself telling McPherson he was a f****n cheat. Kirk was a total to55er everytime he played against us I remember him booting the ball out of play in another game at Tynie after the ref blew his whistle and he smacked a wee lassie full in the face! TO55ER!! There's loads of others I could mention but I won't for now.

That was the game I was going to mention as it was my first ever game, I think it was chucking it down with rain at the time as well, because I was down the front of the Main with my uncle and brother and remember getting soaked!

I vaguely recall a game at Fir Park in the 80's where there was a bomb scare in the covered enclosure opposite the Main Stand and everyone was moved behind the goals for a bit. Turned out to be nothing of course.

And for some reason I'm also thinking it was one of the few appearances by Andy Bruce (?):confused:

Most memorable game for me was a Scottish Cup game back in February 1990. We won 4-0 and it was pishing doon.

JC scored a beauty by dribbling from inside our hallf and beating about 6 men then rounding the keeper.

Happy days

;)

1-1 at Tynie in 97/98.

During the run in while we were seriously chasing the title it was a midweek game and I remember Motherwell were wearing that horrible highlighter yellow strip!

Neil McCann put us in front but they equalised in the second half.

I realised that night that we were not going to win the title.

Left the ground feeling absolutely gutted!

Exactly how I felt that night. You never realised at the time how long again it will be til you have another decent team.

Forza Cuore

This was the first match I went to without my Dad. My brother and some mates from his year at school got the bus from Livingston.

I can remember there being a right nasty atmosphere from the off. When Motherwell scored, The Shed went mental .... I can vividly recall Police Hats being thrown back and forward.

First time I'd heard the chant "You're going home in a Fckng Ambulance" Wallace doing his peacekeeper bit and then the write ups in the paper on the Sunday.

What a way to get hooked on Hearts ;)

Does anyone remember the last game of the season, 1994-95? We needed a point to stay out of the play-offs, I believe, and beat Motherwell 2-0. I was 9 at the time and got a legover from me ma to take part in a very minor pitch invasion! Remember running into the centre circle, noticing how tall the footballers were then running back to the wheatfield stand!

Last game of the Maclean era IIRC. And Brian bloody Hamilton of all people scored...

Still have a cut out from the Scotland on Sunday with a picture of me and Gershwin sitting behind Maclean in the main stand going mental after we scored the second...

Yeah it was David Dunn who played at right back that night in a shadow team due to major injury problems. McFadden tore him a new one and I'm sure he was subbed off before half time. His one and only appearance for the first team IIRC. Was playing at Forfar the last I heard if memory serves.

The 4-2 victory at Fir Park when we were 2-0 down just before half time. The tosser Willie Falconer scored for them and celebrated right in front of the Hearts support. Jim Hamilton pulled one back to make it 2-1 at half time. In the 2nd half we ran over the top of them to make it 4-2. Fulton scored the last goal and jumped over the advertising boards in front of the Hearts fans. One of the best away games i've ever been at.

Another was the 2-0 when Robbo and Stephan Paille scored. It was on a Monday night or something at Fir Park.

auldbauldfan

Back in pre-historic times - 1954 League Cup Final.

Hearts 4 Motherwell 2 - Pouring rain, Willie Bauld hat-trick, first trophy for 48 years.

My Dad hauled my Mum and me over the wall and on to the pitch to see the cup being presented.

Start of an all too brief era when picking up trophies became the norm.

Francis Albert

Remember the Texaco Cup game well. One of the first matches I remember seeing however was a Scottish Cup tie in 1964, when I think we came back from 3-1 down to draw 3-3, in front of over 20,000 at Fir Park. Was also at the replay with 32,000 at Tynecastle - we lost 2-1.

Remember in those days Hearts-Motherwell was viewed as a good fixture for the neutrals, because bioth clubs had a reputation for playing good football.

Was it Jan '86, in the famous 85/86 season, and all the other games were off cos the Scotland squad (no Jambos) were away to play Australia in some weird World Cup play-off ?

We played them midweek in a complete snowstorm at their dump of a ground and won.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19860104.html

Started to believe something was really on then.

This was the first match I went to without my Dad. My brother and some mates from his year at school got the bus from Livingston.

I can remember there being a right nasty atmosphere from the off. When Motherwell scored, The Shed went mental .... I can vividly recall Police Hats being thrown back and forward.

First time I'd heard the chant "You're going home in a Fckng Ambulance" Wallace doing his peacekeeper bit and then the write ups in the paper on the Sunday.

What a way to get hooked on Hearts ;)

15/5/82

Day after my wedding - and we were there.

kissthebadge
I remember going through there midweek as clear faves and they pumped us 6-0 :( im sure it was their 1st win in ages too? Typical jambos breaking everyones duck!

Some classic 4-something games through there though!

Remember this game very well as it was my 21st birthday.

There was tears.

Other games - Fullers solo effort was a highlight, the League Cup game at ER was certainly not a highlight. Pretty sure Jamie Mac sold the jersey that night. Things were looking good when Hajlmer Superstar scored.

Again, tears.

Harry Kinnear
22nd December 2001 Hearts 3 Motherwell 1

Ricardo Fuller runs riot by completing his brace by picking the ball up in his own half skinning three players then rounds the keeper.

Brilliant!

Classic!

Nov 89. A nothing game erupted in the 2nd half when Fozzie managed to get himself sent off. We then proceeded to score 3 goals in about 10 mins (Crabbe, Sandison, JC, i think). One of the great Shed days when you really werent expecting it. Magic

Most memorable game for me was a Scottish Cup game back in February 1990. We won 4-0 and it was pishing doon.

JC scored a beauty by dribbling from inside our hallf and beating about 6 men then rounding the keeper.

Happy days

;)

That was a tremendous performance by that team. Over 19,000 inside Tynie that day as well. Just looking at the crowds for that season we had over 20,000 7 times at Tynie (4 times over 24k).

IIRC,Tam Cowan once said that's the most scared he's ever felt at a football game.Not one Motherwell bus left Edinburgh without it's windows getting smashed.

Season 05/06, for BG's last minute save...

2:29 minutes in - how he got to that i'll never know :pray: :pray:

The 4-2 victory at Fir Park when we were 2-0 down just before half time. The tosser Willie Falconer scored for them and celebrated right in front of the Hearts support. Jim Hamilton pulled one back to make it 2-1 at half time. In the 2nd half we ran over the top of them to make it 4-2. Fulton scored the last goal and jumped over the advertising boards in front of the Hearts fans. One of the best away games i've ever been at.

Another was the 2-0 when Robbo and Stephan Paille scored. It was on a Monday night or something at Fir Park.

I remember that 4-2 game, thinking "c'mon Hearts we're better than this shower".............and I was quite confident we'd come back in the 2nd half, changed days indeed :sad:

I remember Stephane Adam got 'emptied out' by some Motherwell guy and almost ended up like a bundle of arms and legs in the crowd. The trainers managed to revive him though and he actually went on to play a blinder :)

I remember a game in late December, 3-1 i think, under Jordan and it took us 3 points clear at the top. At Tynie and it was pishing, Im sure we were still top on 1st Jan, and making sure the neighbours knew on Hogmanay.

John Millar (I know!!) finished off a brilliant passing move that day, still one of the best team goals I've seen us score.

Cannot let the Chris McCart 'backpass' go unmentioned either (have a mate who supports 'Well, he can't let it go!!). Live on TV just after the rule came in, he skelped it up in the air not even looking at the goals and when the keeper caught it we were given a free kick, from which we scored.

Franco Baresi couldn't have done what McCart did, deliberately.:)

rossthejambo
As painful as it was, the 2005 VIS Cuo semi-final stands out.

For those 5 minutes at the end, coming from 2-0 down.

thats the one that sticks out for me. we were the better team that night as well. burchill then hjalmar scoring in 5 minutes. and then seconds to go til penalties.......

jamie mcallister :mad::mad:

Archived