USPGA

Carl Spackler

1st European in how many years?

Europe for the Ryder??

Vijay Singh (Fiji) won it in 98 and 04 but the last european was..... well actually, according to wikipedia, he's the 1st European ever to win it. Steve Elkington (Austrailia) 95, Nick Price(Zimbabwe) 92 & 94 and Wayne Grady (Austrailia) 90 are all Non-Americans to have won it recently. Then Gary Player a few times aswell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_major_golf_championships#Major_championship_winners

Vijay Singh (Fiji) won it in 98 and 04 but the last european was..... well actually, according to wikipedia, he's the 1st European ever to win it. Steve Elkington (Austrailia) 95, Nick Price(Zimbabwe) 92 & 94 and Wayne Grady (Austrailia) 90 are all Non-Americans to have won it recently. Then Gary Player a few times aswell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_major_golf_championships#Major_championship_winners

Someone told me Vijay used to be a doorman at Centuary 2000, is this bull I suspect it is...?

He is the first European to win the USPGA since Scotland's Tommy Armour in 1930. Although born in Edinburgh he became an American in the 1920's after moving there after the war. So some may claim he was a non European when he won.

He lost his sight to a mustard gas explosion and surgeons had to add a metal plate to his head and left arm. During his convalescence, he regained the sight of his right eye and took to golfing. Great story.

Someone told me Vijay used to be a doorman at Centuary 2000, is this bull I suspect it is...?

Not sure which place, but Singh definitely used to be on the doors of somewhere in Edinburgh when he was an up and coming struggling golfer.

chester copperpot
Not sure which place, but Singh definitely used to be on the doors of somewhere in Edinburgh when he was an up and coming struggling golfer.

It was Wilkie House that he was a doorman. :)

Carl Spackler

I put a fiver on Garcia on Friday night at 7/1. Thought of sticking money on Harrington at the same time when he was 23/1 and playing not so well. He's won me a fortune before. Regretting the choice now!

Garcia man, learn to putt!

Jeez, you gotta admire the guy - well, I s'pose I do 'nall 'nanyways. :biggrin:

He's the first European to succesfully defend the British Open title in over a hundred years, and he's just gone and won himself back-to-back majors.

Impressive by any standards.

Very much so Doc. Padraig's worked his butt off in the last few years trying to improve. He's the first to admit he's not the most naturally gifted, compared to someone like, say, Monty.

But there's the rub - Monty, for all his natural talent, has never been big on practice, he's renowned for only hitting a handful of balls now and then as it comes so 'easy' to him. And he's never won a Major.

Whereas Harrington and Vijay Singh, another fanatical worker who won a Major in his 40's, practice like mad.

Maybe a lesson in there somewhere, though it's too late for Monty now I reckon.

Carl Spackler
Very much so Doc. Padraig's worked his butt off in the last few years trying to improve. He's the first to admit he's not the most naturally gifted, compared to someone like, say, Monty.

But there's the rub - Monty, for all his natural talent, has never been big on practice, he's renowned for only hitting a handful of balls now and then as it comes so 'easy' to him. And he's never won a Major.

Whereas Harrington and Vijay Singh, another fanatical worker who won a Major in his 40's, practice like mad.

Maybe a lesson in there somewhere, though it's too late for Monty now I reckon.

That's not entirely true about Monty. He used to have a routine where if he missed a 3 foot putt in a round he would get 200 golf balls after the round and putt the 200 in a row. If he missed one he would start again. You simply don't play as well and win as much as Monty has without practising.

Monty's problem is a huge mental one.

That's not entirely true about Monty. He used to have a routine where if he missed a 3 foot putt in a round he would get 200 golf balls after the round and putt the 200 in a row. If he missed one he would start again. You simply don't play as well and win as much as Monty has without practising.

Monty's problem is a huge mental one.

You may be right about the putting routine Carl (I believe a number of players do the one you mention) but he's not going to be remebered for winning plenty of 'regular' tour events (not taking anything away from that) .

Monty is on record as saying he wouldn't swap any of his Order of Merit titles for a Major, but do you honestly believe that?

Carl Spackler
You may be right about the putting routine Carl (I believe a number of players do the one you mention) but he's not going to be remebered for winning plenty of 'regular' tour events (not taking anything away from that) .

Monty is on record as saying he wouldn't swap any of his Order of Merit titles for a Major, but do you honestly believe that?

I'm pretty sure he would swop quite alot for a major! He has plenty to swop so I don't think he's being entirely truthful there.

Archived