Obua gets WP

donaldius fordovich

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice one. I was surprised with how seamless it has been.

Meantime "Sergy", from Hobos.net, JKB Flump of the Year 2008 has posted this comment over there.

If anybody on this board had posted something similar about a Hobo signing, suspension would have definitely loomed.

oh the warrior poets show their true colours yet again, filth of the highest order.

Anyway welcome David.

My only concern would be both he and Kingston requiring a load of time off for African Nations qualifiers and the like.
It will be OK;)Don't be scared of the day you've not seen

According to this site Obua is a striker and it has some interesting info on him. Seems to be a bit of a hot-head.

http://www.ugpulse.com/articles/daily/homepage.asp?ID=488

And, according to wikipedia he scored a few penalties for Uganda in the African Cup 2008 Qualifiers. Finally have a established penalty taker again!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Africa_Cup_of_Nations_qualification

How do you know this out of interest ? The usually don't make the panel public IIRC.

There was an ex-hearts player too, tbf; albeit one who's regularly and quite happily stuck the knife in as union chief. According to the super soaraway bogroll, the panel was Peter Cormack, Fraser Wishart, Jim Fleeting, Billy McNeill and (as we already knew) Pat Nevin.

Maroon Mayhem
There was an ex-hearts player too, tbf; albeit one who's regularly and quite happily stuck the knife in as union chief. According to the super soaraway bogroll, the panel was Peter Cormack, Fraser Wishart, Jim Fleeting, Billy McNeill and (as we already knew) Pat Nevin.

Didn't know about Billy McNeill but knew the rest. Apparently they brushed aside Uganda being outside the top 75 really quickly and focussed on the player himself.

Good to get our first signing.

Didn't know about Billy McNeill but knew the rest. Apparently they brushed aside Uganda being outside the top 75 really quickly and focussed on the player himself.

Good to get our first signing.

As they should have done. Good for them.

marshallschunkychicken
Nice one. I was surprised with how seamless it has been.

Meantime "Sergy", from Hobos.net, JKB Flump of the Year 2008 has posted this comment over there.

If anybody on this board had posted something similar about a Hobo signing, suspension would have definitely loomed.

That is utterly disgraceful. No doubt that was met with hundreds of 'thumbs up' smileys.

What a complete t***er.

That is utterly disgraceful. No doubt that was met with hundreds of 'thumbs up' smileys.

What a complete t***er.

Fits in nicely with their Mercer songs and chants about refugees.

Reptiles.

coppercrutch

Cheers for that. Strange their names were released. Maybe after teh last joke of a panle hearing we got - they decided to be upfront and transparent with thie one ? Let's hope they keep it that. Fairness is all we are asking for. If a player is fairly deemed not good enough then I don't think we can have any complaints.

Ryan Gosling
Cheers.

I am surprised that there isn't more available on this though.

There is.

Google 'PSL Awards David Obua'.

Hungry Heart
David's uncle winning olympic gold...

From the comments below seems his uncle was some athlete... and led some life!

There is.

Google 'PSL Awards David Obua'.

I must be struggling with this internet thing, but when I google that I get a few pages which talk about his nomination for the 2006 award. I get nothing to say that he won the 2007 award though.

Ryan Gosling
I must be struggling with this internet thing, but when I google that I get a few pages which talk about his nomination for the 2006 award. I get nothing to say that he won the 2007 award though.

Does your opinion of him depend on whether or not you can find conclusive proof of it?

Does your opinion of him depend on whether or not you can find conclusive proof of it?

Not at all, I hope that he is a good player and will be happy if he is. We desperately need more good players.

I am intrigued as to why something so many on here have latched onto - ie 'signed the South African Player of the Year' - is only referred to in one newspaper report and apparently nothing else. There seems to be a lot of evidence that he was nominated in 2006, but other than that one article nothing to say that he won it in 2007.

In addition I have no idea of what the standard of South African football leagues are - but it would seem to me that South Africa's highest profile players have moved to other countries (no doubt for bigger wages of course).

Ryan Gosling
Not at all, I hope that he is a good player and will be happy if he is. We desperately need more good players.

I am intrigued as to why something so many on here have latched onto - ie 'signed the South African Player of the Year' - is only referred to in one newspaper report and apparently nothing else. There seems to be a lot of evidence that he was nominated in 2006, but other than that one article nothing to say that he won it in 2007.

In addition I have no idea of what the standard of South African football leagues are - but it would seem to me that South Africa's highest profile players have moved to other countries (no doubt for bigger wages of course).

Like Obua?

:)

marshallschunkychicken

To be fair, is that not exactly what he's done too?

To be fair, is that not exactly what he's done too?

My point is that I don't know what the standard of South African domestic football is like - but I would assume it is not too high. So getting a nomination for player of the year might make you the "the best poo in the potty, but not Carlos Tevez". And I think it is fair to assume that he didn't win it in 2007 unless there is more than just one newspaper report.

But yes, he has done the same as other players have and gone to European football.

And I hope that he is a tremendous player. But as I said I was intrigued by the player of the year comment which appears to be false.

And I hope that he is a tremendous player. But as I said I was intrigued by the player of the year comment which appears to be false.

I don't think it would be fake if its mentioned on the Hearts website. Surely they would know the truth and wouldnt lie and post it on their official website?

I don't think it would be fake if its mentioned on the Hearts website. Surely they would know the truth and wouldnt lie and post it on their official website?

Well Hearts made mistakes about Laszlo's background too on the website.

I think that they were mistakes and not lies.

But I didn't see the reference on player of the year on the Hearts website. Kaizer Chiefs Player of the Year yes, but South African no. Only on KB and on that one newspaper report have I seen the South African PoTY claim.

Ryan Gosling
Well Hearts made mistakes about Laszlo's background too on the website.

I think that they were mistakes and not lies.

But I didn't see the reference on player of the year on the Hearts website. Kaizer Chiefs Player of the Year yes, but South African no. Only on KB and on that one newspaper report have I seen the South African PoTY claim.

Who cares really?

It doesn't matter.

Who cares really?

It doesn't matter.

I haven't been the one making the claim that our new player was the best player in their country!

Ryan Gosling
I haven't been the one making the claim that our new player was the best player in their country!

Neither have I. I gave you a link that said he was, as you requested.

Who cares really?

It doesn't matter.

True, wether he's won it or not he's the same player and lets hope he becomes a great signing for the hearts!

But heres a question. Although its difficult to say, where would you like to see him play? Solve the left back problem? Left Mid? or up behind the stiker(s)?

For me he could do a job at left back, Drivers good enough at left mid but with Obua scoring 9 goals in Uganda's last 13 games I would like to see him behind the strikers aswell. Tough call!

ernie winchester

I first read the claim on some English website - before it wen on Hearts site - when I heard about our interest in him, (I think it was West Ham's site?) It's also in the Scotsman, but they may have lifted it from the Hearts site.

Just googled it and it's mentioned here:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200808060285.html

I doubt they'll have taken it from the Hearts site.

Neither have I. I gave you a link that said he was, as you requested.

And I thanked you for it! :) But I doubt its veracity!

And some people have been claiming the claim - and it is going to 'stick'.

I first read the claim on some English website - before it wen on Hearts site - when I heard about our interest in him, (I think it was West Ham's site?) It's also in the Scotsman, but they may have lifted it from the Hearts site.

Just googled it and it's mentioned here:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200808060285.html

I doubt they'll have taken it from the Hearts site.

That's the one Peanut provided. What seems to be the only one.

ernie winchester

Only checked the first two - the African one and Scotsman - and can't be bothered trawling through the rest. I'm sure somebody will though.

From the comments below seems his uncle was some athlete... and led some life!

Yes and given that he was one of 43 children i magine that practically all of Uganda can claim to be his nephew!!

Nucky Thompson

He won player of the year in 2006.

http://www.kaizerchiefs.com/default.asp?AID=228293

Archived