G10 letter to the Council

Nucky Thompson

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any chance someone could copy it onto here - my work deems in an "inappropriate site" they must all be hibbies.

Mark_Mywords

here...

G10 stadium support

G10, the umbrella group that combines the four key supporters organisations - Heart of Midlothian Shareholders Association, Heart of Midlothian Supporters Trust, Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs and the Fans Forum - has asked the club to publish the following letter on the club's official website.

The letter was sent to the Leader, Deputy Leader and Director of City Development at the City of Edinburgh Council this week. The club is happy to reproduce this letter and is grateful for the combined support demonstrated by each of these official organisations.

Article continues

Advertisement

Dear Ms Dawe,

G10, Heart of Midlothian Supporters Groups - Tynecastle Stadium Redevelopment

G10 represents the key Heart of Midlothian Football Club supporters organisations comprising over 25,000 active individuals from a total fanbase nationally and internationally of approximately 400,000.

G10 is made up of four distinct organisations with the common aim of supporting the development of Heart of Midlothian Football Club and its activities in Edinburgh and surrounding areas. The four groups - the Heart of Midlothian Shareholders Association, the Heart of Midlothian Supporters Trust, the Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs and the Fans Forum - are taking an active interest in the proposals to develop Tynecastle Stadium and have consulted regularly with the club on stadium related matters.

Given that the club submitted a detailed planning application to the City of Edinburgh Council in January, and a decision is due in the near future, we would like to put on official record our whole hearted support for this project in its current form.

We recognise that the proposed ?51m investment will bring substantial economic and social benefits to the city of Edinburgh in general and the Gorgie Dalry area in particular whilst providing the means for the council to demonstrate its support for a major inner city development.

We are nevertheless well aware that throughout the current process and with a multi-million pound city investment project such as this, there have been many areas of debate with regard to matters specific to the locality of the stadium. Our view is that having been at the heart of the Gorgie and Dalry community for over 130 years, the stadium redevelopment plans as presented will re-energise the area for the benefit of generations to come.

Heart of Midlothian Football Club and its supporters, many of whom are represented by the organisations that constitute G10, have contributed to the social fabric and history of the city of Edinburgh since the formation of the club in 1874. We now believe that we are on the verge of something very special in terms of the next step for this club.

As Leader of the Council, we the undersigned would therefore urge you to look favourably towards the planning application and give early approval for the redevelopment of the stand and the surrounding area.The inspiration and vision demonstrated in the work that has gone into these plans for the city institution that is Heart of Midlothian Football Club deserves the support of the Council. Ultimately a redeveloped Tynecastle will rightly show both the club and the city of Edinburgh in a truly "inspiring" light across much of the world.

On behalf of G10 through the following organisations:

Heart of Midlothian Shareholders Association

Alex Gowans, Chairman

Hearts of Midlothian Supporters Trust

Jane Lewis, Secretary

Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs

John Borthwick, Secretary

Heart of Midlothian Fans Forum

Graham Anderson, Secretary

Any chance someone could copy it onto here - my work deems in an "inappropriate site" they must all be hibbies.

HERE YOU GO:

G10 stadium support

G10, the umbrella group that combines the four key supporters organisations - Heart of Midlothian Shareholders Association, Heart of Midlothian Supporters Trust, Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs and the Fans Forum - has asked the club to publish the following letter on the club's official website.

The letter was sent to the Leader, Deputy Leader and Director of City Development at the City of Edinburgh Council this week. The club is happy to reproduce this letter and is grateful for the combined support demonstrated by each of these official organisations.

Dear Ms Dawe,

G10, Heart of Midlothian Supporters Groups - Tynecastle Stadium Redevelopment

G10 represents the key Heart of Midlothian Football Club supporters organisations comprising over 25,000 active individuals from a total fanbase nationally and internationally of approximately 400,000.

G10 is made up of four distinct organisations with the common aim of supporting the development of Heart of Midlothian Football Club and its activities in Edinburgh and surrounding areas. The four groups - the Heart of Midlothian Shareholders Association, the Heart of Midlothian Supporters Trust, the Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs and the Fans Forum - are taking an active interest in the proposals to develop Tynecastle Stadium and have consulted regularly with the club on stadium related matters.

Given that the club submitted a detailed planning application to the City of Edinburgh Council in January, and a decision is due in the near future, we would like to put on official record our whole hearted support for this project in its current form.

We recognise that the proposed ?51m investment will bring substantial economic and social benefits to the city of Edinburgh in general and the Gorgie Dalry area in particular whilst providing the means for the council to demonstrate its support for a major inner city development.

We are nevertheless well aware that throughout the current process and with a multi-million pound city investment project such as this, there have been many areas of debate with regard to matters specific to the locality of the stadium. Our view is that having been at the heart of the Gorgie and Dalry community for over 130 years, the stadium redevelopment plans as presented will re-energise the area for the benefit of generations to come.

Heart of Midlothian Football Club and its supporters, many of whom are represented by the organisations that constitute G10, have contributed to the social fabric and history of the city of Edinburgh since the formation of the club in 1874. We now believe that we are on the verge of something very special in terms of the next step for this club.

As Leader of the Council, we the undersigned would therefore urge you to look favourably towards the planning application and give early approval for the redevelopment of the stand and the surrounding area.The inspiration and vision demonstrated in the work that has gone into these plans for the city institution that is Heart of Midlothian Football Club deserves the support of the Council. Ultimately a redeveloped Tynecastle will rightly show both the club and the city of Edinburgh in a truly "inspiring" light across much of the world.

On behalf of G10 through the following organisations:

Heart of Midlothian Shareholders Association

Alex Gowans, Chairman

Hearts of Midlothian Supporters Trust

Jane Lewis, Secretary

Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs

John Borthwick, Secretary

Heart of Midlothian Fans Forum

Graham Anderson, Secretary

ENDS

Pants Shaton

Here's my alternative:

Dear Council,

We know where you live. Do it.

Yours sincerely,

Hearts supporters.

...Fair enough.

Whats the point in it though?

Looks like they're appealing to the council to get their fingers out - or at least let us, the fans, know if there are any problems we haven't been "advised of" by the club. I think it's a good idea as it may force the issue and let us see exactly where we are with this. We've all seen the plans, most of us like it, we (UBIG) have spent a fortune pushing the plans through, so let's get on with it and build a stadium to be proud of!!

Is that Leigh Jenkinson? and Lee Makel? ;)

Damn, you're quick ... thought naebody had noticed ...

Nice touch.

However Hearts would be better served if Pedro Lopez got his finger out and answered the questions that the council raised months ago.

Maybe that's the reason for the delay.

...Fair enough.

Pressure I guess... and to shut the trumpets up who complain that an expansion would cause bother from more fans etc etc..

Oh and to highlight the fact that a growing hearts is good for the city.

I think that to go ahead with the development plan at the moment would be bonkers.

However, gaining planning permission is another matter so no problem with the decision to support that effort.

Dr. Bapswent
Here's my alternative:

Dear Council,

We know where you live. Do it.

Yours sincerely,

Hearts supporters.

Ha Ha nice.

Dear Council.

Aww go on...

Thanks

Hearts.

scott_jambo
Pressure I guess... and to shut the trumpets up who complain that an expansion would cause bother from more fans etc etc..

Oh and to highlight the fact that a growing hearts is good for the city.

Its been almost a year of deliberating, im sure the council is well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of this venture.

Dont see a wee letter adding additional pressure, but every little helps i guess! :confused:

Nice touch.

However Hearts would be better served if Pedro Lopez got his finger out and answered the questions that the council raised months ago.

Can you give us a bit more detail if you know that to be the case?:

What were the questions raised with Lopez?

A well-drafted letter in support of a planning application as it is concise enough to have a chance of actually being read. Good timing as well as it must be getting near time for it to come before a Committee.

Can you give us a bit more detail if you know that to be the case?:

What were the questions raised with Lopez?

Unfortunately all i know is that the Council are still waiting on some answers dating back to April/May and as of last week they were still waiting.

I assume that one of the issues raised was the payment towards the trams which is a bit of a stumbling block at the moment.

Its the reasoning behind the letter I'm more interested in to be honest.

Did the club ask them to do this ? And if so, why ?

Seymour M Hersh
Nice touch.

Strange for the club to back the G10 by putting the letter on the official site if that's (Lopez's inactivity) the problem.

...Fair enough.

I'm assuming there going look how many voters support Hearts.

Seymour M Hersh
Unfortunately all i know is that the Council are still waiting on some answers dating back to April/May and as of last week they were still waiting.

I assume that one of the issues raised was the payment towards the trams which is a bit of a stumbling block at the moment.

Ah, the money the Council are trying to extort out of local businesses?

Hopefully Hearts will never pay that tram levy and that will be the straw to breaks the back of that looney scheme.

scott herbertson
Strange for the club to back the G10 by putting the letter on the official site if that's (Lopez's inactivity) the problem.

I would read that to mean that someone at the Club (Ogilvie?) knowws that a decision is imminent (maybe because the answers from Lopez have been prepared) and wants to make sure the support of 25,000 Edinburgh citizens is heard at the same time as the application is considered

Positive support for planning applications from residents is unusual (usually its mainly objectors) so i would urge ayone who lives close enough to be consulted to make sure you write in and support the application. I would suggest a paraphrase of the G10 letter coiuld be used:

"I would like to put on record my whole hearted support for this project in its current form.

The proposed ?51m investment will bring substantial economic and social benefits to the city of Edinburgh in general and the Gorgie Dalry area in particular whilst providing the means for the council to demonstrate its support for a major inner city development.

Having been at the heart of the Gorgie and Dalry community for over 130 years, the stadium redevelopment plans as presented will re-energise the area for the benefit of generations to come.

I would therefore urge you to look favourably towards the planning application and give early approval for the redevelopment of the stand and the surrounding area.The inspiration and vision demonstrated in the work that has gone into these plans for the city institution that is Heart of Midlothian Football Club deserves the support of the Council. Ultimately a redeveloped Tynecastle will rightly show both the club and the city of Edinburgh in a truly "inspiring" light across much of the world."

Just copy it into your letterhead, print and sign!

Frankenstein Jambo.

Sorry not having a go but i suppose you have something to do with the new stand project?

If so..Is there any reason why lopez hasn't been at the council constantly for their answer?

I find it hard to understand that Hearts are giving the support of this letter yet lopez aint pushing the whole thing forward! :confused::confused:

This is annoying me!!!! :confused::confused::confused:

happy jambo

Why would Lopez deliberately hold up the process for planning permission PTBAL ?

Infact I think he is quite right to take his time ,looking into any sneaky back handedness from Edinburgh Council in trying to get HMFC to pay for a tram stop which would be there anyway !

Infact how far will the tram stop actually be from Tynecastle it must be at least a quarter of a mile walk from the stadium .

I WILL WAIT & BUILD IT THEY WILL COME !

:eek::eek::eek:

If I were Councillor Dawe, I'd have ripped the letter up and thrown it in the bin (once I'd stopped bellowing with laughter) after I'd read that sentence. I wouldn't have bothered with the rest of it.

If one is trying to get a point across, one at has to start by establishing one's credibility. Quoting those numbers is not the way to do it as they are quite obviously ridiculous.

Could someone explain how the figure of 25,000 was arrived at with regard to the total number of individuals that are active within the four organisations mentioned?

Could someone explain how the figure of 400,000 was arrived at with regard to our total fan base?

All that letter has done is made those who authored it look silly, and it reflects badly on the wider Hearts support who they allegedly represent.

Yours incredulously

Therapist :sad:

Pants Shaton

If I were Councillor Dawe, I'd have ripped the letter up and thrown it in the bin (once I'd stopped bellowing with laughter) after I'd read that sentence. I wouldn't have bothered with th erest of it.

If one is trying to get a point across, one at has to start by establishing one's credibility. Quoting those numbers is not the way to do it as they are quite obviously ridiculous.

Could someone explain how the figure of 25,000 was arrived at with regard to the total number of individuals that are active within the four organisations mentioned?

Could someone explain how the figure of 400,000 was arrived at with regard to our total fan base?

All that letter has done is made those who authored it look silly, and it reflects badly on the wider Hearts support who they allegedly represent.

Yours incredulously

Dear Council,

Me and my 25 mates who drink at Robbo's (and comprise the real fanbase of Heart of Midlothian football club) wish to encourage you to approve the redevelopment of Tynecastle.

Yours traditionally,

Therapist.

shaun.lawson

If I were Councillor Dawe, I'd have ripped the letter up and thrown it in the bin (once I'd stopped bellowing with laughter) after I'd read that sentence. I wouldn't have bothered with th erest of it.

Yours incredulously

And once more, I agree with Therapist. My jaw dropped when I saw the reference to 400,000 supporters. It was gibberish then; it's still gibberish now. And while I have no problem with the letter in principle, and think it's well written, 25,000 active individuals?! That's getting on for 50% more people than regularly attend home games - and to judge by things I read on here, it certainly doesn't seem like 25,000 people feel properly represented by these organisations.

Four and a half weeks ago, the club held meetings with Iain Macleod and Dougie Masterton from Save Our Hearts, and a separate one with the G10. Iain and Dougie published what they'd been told the following day on here - but to the best of my knowledge, and correct me if I'm wrong, but there's been no mention by the G10 of what happened at their meeting anywhere. Why not? Seeing as the G10 apparently has over 25,000 active members, I imagine they'd quite like to know what transpired, wouldn't they?

Pants Shaton
I'd say 'Active' is taken from ST holders, shareholders, supporters club members, Trust members added up.

The 400,000 number comes from an independent survey conducted around 18 months ago which concluded Hearts's worldwide following to be in the 400k region. This is a published document.

http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2006/490/

l28081_8.JPG

I know the many feel the survey methodology is flawed - but as I like its outcome I disagree!

Winston Ingram

Given the people they claim to represent... have the G10 yet published details of their meeting with Sergejus etc from a number of weeks ago, in a similar fashion...?

:P

shaun.lawson
I'd say 'Active' is taken from ST holders, shareholders, supporters club members, Trust members added up.

The 400,000 number comes from an independent survey conducted around 18 months ago which concluded Hearts's worldwide following to be in the 400k region. This is a published document.

It might be a published document - but it's also complete and utter nonsense. Sample size for this piece of 'research'? 5213. Number of clubs who saw fit to trumpet its findings, despite many others supposedly enjoying even larger fanbases? One: our one. Funny, that.

Four and a half weeks ago, the club held meetings with Iain Macleod and Dougie Masterton from Save Our Hearts, and a separate one with the G10. Iain and Dougie published what they'd been told the following day on here - but to the best of my knowledge, and correct me if I'm wrong, but there's been no mention by the G10 of what happened at their meeting anywhere. Why not? Seeing as the G10 apparently has over 25,000 active members, I imagine they'd quite like to know what transpired, wouldn't they?

Excellent question!

Regarding point 1, the letter clearly states that there are a total of 25,000 active members of the four organisation mentioned. There is no mention of season ticket holders. Further, can one of the authors tell me if any allowance was made for double, treble or quadruple counting of "active members".

Regarding point 2, the 400,000 figure is an utter joke. Roy Morgan International - what a heap of crap. Have you had a look at their web site? They're so small they only mention two employees and their business is almost totally focused on Australia.

I can put forward arguments against most things, but if any other fans have a go at me about Hearts having a fanbase of 400,000 I'm not sure what I can say. The people who authored that letter should hand their heads in shame. :sad:

Pants Shaton
Er, what methodology? I'm not aware that there was any real methodolgy at all! :eek:

Granted, this survey is meaningless (but useful for Hobo-baiting). The fact that Sunderland don't appear at all is deeply suspect given the 40,000 people who attend their home games.

Hearts fanbase? Depends on how you define supporter. Lothian region has a population of 1 million+ and it is conceivable that 400,000 people (some in Fife and further afield as well) would favour Hearts above other Scottish clubs. Up to 200,000 well-wishers took to the streets during the cup parades - they didn't all rush to buy season tickets. I'd imagine that during the past 3 seasons 40,000 individuals have attended a match to support Hearts. Maybe 20,000 supporters attending Tynecastle during that period?

Up until this season we were selling 13,500 season tickets and, if the club are to be believed, at the time of peak demand there was a 6,000 waiting list.

In summary, we're bigger than the Celtic and Rangers combined.

Granted, this survey is meaningless (but useful for Hobo-baiting).

I love baiting anyone, particularly hobos and the mhanks, but to do it properly there has to be some link to reality. These numbers simply fail that test.

Hearts fanbase? Depends on how you define supporter. Lothian region has a population of 1 million+ and it is conceivable that 400,000 people (some in Fife and further afield as well) would favour Hearts above other Scottish clubs.

Roy Morgan International's claim of 400,000 fans is remarkably similar to Pieman's claim that we had 400,000 fans because that was the number of email addresses on the Hearts database. Coincidence? :rolleyes:

Pants Shaton
I love baiting anyone, particularly hobos and the mhanks, but to do it properly there has to be some link to reality. These numbers simply fail that test.

Roy Morgan International's claim of 400,000 fans is remarkably similar to Pieman's claim that we had 400,000 fans because that was the number of email addresses on the Hearts database. Coincidence? :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting some Pieman related global conspiracy involving a small-scale Australian marketing company?

Are you suggesting some Pieman related global conspiracy involving a small-scale Australian marketing company?

Not really, I just found it interesting. :)

I still can't believe anyone quoted those numbers in a letter though. Absolutely incredible. It'll be interesting to see if anyone who was involved in authoring it will come on and explain why they opened with the numbers. The letter was undoubtedly well intentioned but it's made us a bit of a laughing stock.

shaun.lawson
Granted, this survey is meaningless (but useful for Hobo-baiting). The fact that Sunderland don't appear at all is deeply suspect given the 40,000 people who attend their home games.

Hearts fanbase? Depends on how you define supporter. Lothian region has a population of 1 million+ and it is conceivable that 400,000 people (some in Fife and further afield as well) would favour Hearts above other Scottish clubs. Up to 200,000 well-wishers took to the streets during the cup parades - they didn't all rush to buy season tickets. I'd imagine that during the past 3 seasons 40,000 individuals have attended a match to support Hearts. Maybe 20,000 supporters attending Tynecastle during that period?

Up until this season we were selling 13,500 season tickets and, if the club are to be believed, at the time of peak demand there was a 6,000 waiting list.

In summary, we're bigger than the Celtic and Rangers combined.

:biggrin:

Norwich, apparently, have 458,000 fans, and are way ahead of both Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday. My arse we are. FWIW, I believe Hearts' commercial side is targeted at around 65,000 people: in terms of conceivable total fanbase, that sounds about right to me.

Gigolo-Aunt

Norwich, apparently, have 458,000 fans, and are way ahead of both Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday. My arse we are. FWIW, I believe Hearts' commercial side is targeted at around 65,000 people: in terms of conceivable total fanbase, that sounds about right to me.

You can have Wednesdays 30 million debt if you want.

Pants Shaton

I think there are 65,000 people who would, at some point, attend a match.

There is a wider population of 'well-wishers' who look out for a result but are unlikely to ever attend Tynecastle or waste their money on replica strips and Hearts gnomes.

gnome_223x273.jpg

Guest jambomickey
Nice touch.

spot on! but pedro lopez is only carrying out romanovs instructions, so get a move on romanov if your serious about this

shaun.lawson
You can have Wednesdays 30 million debt if you want.

20 million, and a new stand securitised through 15 years' ST sales (meaning much of the money we take in through gate receipts every season goes to paying it off, and not to the manager) will do us fine, if you don't mind! :)

loveofthegame

Am i the only person who isn't that keen on a ?51M new stand?! Yes a new stand would be nice but its an absolutely huge amount of money to add to our already substantial debt.

I just do not see the need for it. If we were putting a team out on the pitch that was challenging for top honours season in, season out then yes it would maybe be worth it. But in the current climate?!

I just think it would be more hassle than it's worth.

Don't give me the whole 'negative' ****e, i'm just giving my honest opinion. Huge amount of money and huge upheaval. I just don't see the need for it.

In saying all this, at the moment i do not for 1 minute believe we will see it.

Gigolo-Aunt
20 million, and a new stand securitised through 15 years' ST sales (meaning much of the money we take in through gate receipts every season goes to paying it off, and not to the manager) will do us fine, if you don't mind! :)

Is Norwich plan to bring players through the youth system and sell them on for a profit?

Never knew Norwich were that much in debt - I take it thats why Huckerbey was not kept on?

shaun.lawson
Is Norwich plan to bring players through the youth system and sell them on for a profit?

Never knew Norwich were that much in debt - I take it thats why Huckerbey was not kept on?

We've been in that much debt for ages - even going up to the Prem for a year made no difference! The reason's because we've invested so much in real estate - meaning attendances of 25,000 (good), but being up to our eyeballs in debt and interest payments (bad). When Peter Cullum tried and failed to takeover a few weeks ago, the truth of the matter emerged: Delia's deliberately dug her heels in and, through such a strategy, made it incredibly unlikely that anyone'll buy her out. Because what was the price the club demanded from Cullum? Thanks to the debt, a ludicrous ?56m.

As for our plan - it's, um, to 'be smarter' than the competition, apparently. :wacko: This must explain the decision to give Gary Doherty a new contract - because I'm buggered if I can see the reasons why! Roeder could've kept Hucks on had he so wished, but having spoken to fans of other clubs he's managed (sic), he seems to have a major inferiority complex viz. flair players, so Huckerby was ushered out of the door in a manner that shamed the whole club. The fans weren't even told our final game of last season at Hillsborough was to be his as well: so it became a grand 'Farewell to Dion' day, and poor old Hucks wasn't given the same courtesy. It was appalling.

400,000 would appear to be a not particularly reliable estimate based on a very, very loose definition of "Hearts Fan". Probably someone who, when asked "What's your favourite football team?" said "Hearts".

It's a bit like Manchester United supposedly having 100,000,000 "supporters" worldwide or the Pope having a billion

No matter though. If you're trying to talk up your case there's no point in selecting the least favourable estimates.

Although if you're trying to communicate the fact that the club means something to many, many more people than could fit into even an expanded Tynecastle a picture can say much more.

_41407777_hearts2patr.jpg

Archived