Door Policies

this_is_my_story

this_is_my_story

Was out at the weekend, and myself and a mate were going to go into a pub in Rose Street (not sure, but I think it was 'Element').

Female on the door says to us, "Sorry guys, I can't let you in - your trainers are too white." Not "white", but "too white". She seemed quite embarrassed to have had to tell us this, no wonder!

Could have made a real c@*t of the policy at that point, maybe by asking, in the nicest possible way, "Sure, no problem. Any chance you could check with the management the degree to which my footwear is allowed to be white? Just so that I'll know if I'm ever in the area again."

Wouldn't want to offend anyone in the pub by the "whiteness" of my trainers, you know, of course...

Christ, the thing is, it's not as if it was an exclusive club for A-listers, celebs, film stars etc etc... FFS, it's a Rose Street boozer! Imagine the outrage (rightly so, of course) if they were to be knocking back folk for entry if their "skin was too dark". As it was, ended up going to some other place on Frederick Street for a good few bevs, nice wee place, good tunes too.

Anyone else encountered such arsey, pretentious snobbery on the doors of our city's fine boozing establishments?

Was out at the weekend, and myself and a mate were going to go into a pub in Rose Street (not sure, but I think it was 'Element').

Female on the door says to us, "Sorry guys, I can't let you in - your trainers are too white." Not "white", but "too white". She seemed quite embarrassed to have had to tell us this, no wonder!

Could have made a real c@*t of the policy at that point, maybe by asking, in the nicest possible way, "Sure, no problem. Any chance you could check with the management the degree to which my footwear is allowed to be white? Just so that I'll know if I'm ever in the area again."

Wouldn't want to offend anyone in the pub by the "whiteness" of my trainers, you know, of course...

Christ, the thing is, it's not as if it was an exclusive club for A-listers, celebs, film stars etc etc... FFS, it's a Rose Street boozer! Imagine the outrage (rightly so, of course) if they were to be knocking back folk for entry if their "skin was too dark". As it was, ended up going to some other place on Frederick Street for a good few bevs, nice wee place, good tunes too.

Anyone else encountered such arsey, pretentious snobbery on the doors of our city's fine boozing establishments?

I agree it sounds stupid. She probably meant that you looked like neds or trouble makers with trainers on. Not saying that you did though.

The bit in bold doesn't really stand as that is something of completely diferrent nature!

this_is_my_story
I agree it sounds stupid. She probably meant that you looked like neds or trouble makers with trainers on. Not saying that you did though.

The bit in bold doesn't really stand as that is something of completely diferrent nature!

Sure, the ned inference is obvious - however, I'm way too handsome and suave for anyone to think I'm a ned! ;)

As regards your bit in bold - I understand what you're getting at, but the same basic principle is in effect - stereotyping the person in question. If they weren't allowing dark-skinned people in on the assumption that they might be 'troublemakers', then that's no different from assuming that people wearing white trainers could be 'neds' or 'chavs'.

Just makes a complete and utter arse of so-called door policies in the first place if you ask me.

Bouncers down here are sound as feck. Either quite happy to have a chat with you on the door or (even better) just stand aside and let you in with no bother at all. Very unlike Edinburgh which is always a pain.

Got knocked back from Grape once for wearing trainers.... until I pointed out to the doorman he was also wearing trainers, he decided to let me in. doh.

Why anyone would want to go to one of these wanky places with uppity bouncers deciding if you are dressed appropriately in beyond me. They are usually awful places that are expensive, play **** music and are full of neds.

I wouldn't give them my money.

Patrick Bateman
They are usually awful places that are expensive, play **** music and are full of neds.

Agree fully, most of these places have a hostile atmosphere and overpriced drink.

On a similar note, can you recommend any clubs in Glasgow? I was at Death Disco the other month and it was an... interesting experience ;)

Agree fully, most of these places have a hostile atmosphere and overpriced drink.

On a similar note, can you recommend any clubs in Glasgow? I was at Death Disco the other month and it was an... interesting experience ;)

I'd always recommend the sub club.

You can wear what you want as long as you don't wear the Glasgow ned uniform of Ben Sherman shirt, shiny shoes, tight jeans and gold chain. It's nice inside, usually decent tunes and like minded people to get down with. It's a bit expensive though so make sure you are well on the way before going although not so drunk that the bouncers don't let you in.

this_is_my_story
Why anyone would want to go to one of these wanky places with uppity bouncers deciding if you are dressed appropriately in beyond me. They are usually awful places that are expensive, play **** music and are full of neds.

Same here, I just didn't think I was trying to get into such a place, didn't expect any such pish from a Rose Street pub. Needless to say, I won't be going back!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I was in Brum with a mate of mine who was pulled up by the bouncer about his footwear (my mates a 6'4" ex Royal Green jacket)

He had Prada shoes on that did look slightly trainerish

Would you wear these to the gym?

No

Well theyre not trainers then are they?

Then he got let in

Bird dragged me... ;)

On a side note whats Numbers like as a night @ the Sub Club?

Bird dragged me... ;)

On a side note whats Numbers like as a night @ the Sub Club?

Inconsistent.

Had some amazing nights, had some not so good. There are about 10 residents so their night encompasses a broad range of musical tastes and styles. Is it the I-F night or the various production night you were looking at? I-F is one of the best producers of Dutch Electro but when he DJs, he plays Italo Disco. I've seen him DJing before and it was abysmal - I hate disco. I wouldn't go near that night to be honest. The Various Production night next month, I am looking forward to. The make mostly dubstep but flirt with electro, Hiphop and techno as well. That night should be decent.

this_is_my_story
So let me get this right, you were refused entry because you have clean footwear?

Yep! Bunch of keech eh!

Inconsistent.

Had some amazing nights, had some not so good. There are about 10 residents so their night encompasses a broad range of musical tastes and styles. Is it the I-F night or the various production night you were looking at? I-F is one of the best producers of Dutch Electro but when he DJs, he plays Italo Disco. I've seen him DJing before and it was abysmal - I hate disco. I wouldn't go near that night to be honest. The Various Production night next month, I am looking forward to. The make mostly dubstep but flirt with electro, Hiphop and techno as well. That night should be decent.

Think I'll give it a miss this weekend then!

this_is_my_story
Inconsistent.

Honestly?! That is possibly one of the cheesiest genres of club music ever produced...Really hard to believe that anyone would play that now! That stuff is proper gay.

Real disco is braw though, quite like good disco-influenced house too, DJ Sneak stuff & the likes.

Honestly?! That is possibly one of the cheesiest genres of club music ever produced...Really hard to believe that anyone would play that now! That stuff is proper gay.

Real disco is braw though, quite like good disco-influenced house too, DJ Sneak stuff & the likes.

Not a big one for house or disco of any sort. All sounds a bit limp-wristed and mincey to me.

I love I-F's production though.

One of my favourite ever records and a permenant fixture in my gig bag.

The People's Chimp

You weren't at riton were you? It was awful. Riton was atrocious and as for the crowd? i've not seen a bigger group of duffers since the hibs.net christmas party.

DD can sometimes be a great night, but it depends on the time of year (don't go during the summer) and who is playing. I'd say that since it started getting a big name and drawing in the ben sherman beer boys and the shed/garage girls, the gay element started fighting its corner and the outcome's not been particularly pretty, in terms of a decent night. ridiculous 8 ft trannies, gimps in shiny shirts and riton playing 2 hour disco sets is not really a good night out.

But, there have been some great nights at DD as well, but maybe it's just had its day in the sun.

I'll probably go for erol alkan though ;)

this_is_my_story
Not a big one for house or disco of any sort. All sounds a bit limp-wristed and mincey to me.

I love I-F's production though.

One of my favourite ever records and a permenant fixture in my gig bag.

What ye tryin' tae say likes?! :)

Remember though, if it wasn't for disco, we wouldn't have had house... If it wasn't for house... I'm sure you get my drift! ;)

What ye tryin' tae say likes?! :)

Remember though, if it wasn't for disco, we wouldn't have had house... If it wasn't for house... I'm sure you get my drift! ;)

Techno and electro does owe a lot to disco and funk etc I still can't get into much of that sort of stuff.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Its positive discrimination, black trainers would get in.

Racists.

this_is_my_story
Its positive discrimination, black trainers would get in.

Racists.

:biggrin:

this_is_my_story
Should have rubbed dirt on them and went back ;)

Funny you should say that, that's exactly what I said to my mate as we walked off... Great minds think alike eh!;)

I got knocked back from a pub in Glasgow for wearing trainers.....

......not just any pub, but the Sports Cafe.

I'm still confused :confused:

PsychocAndy

My brother got knocked back for white trainers at Biddies on Friday and the both of us got the KB'd from Opium for goodness knows what, the bouncers said it was because it's a heavy Metal boozer. Typical the first night in weeks I,d shaved and I was too smart for them. I was dressed in black leather Converse, black jeans and a black Adidas top and my brother was casual, with white trainers.

Young neds I doubt it I'm 43 and he's 47.

They must have been scared we'd have all the wee lassies round us all night, I know I'd have been because the missus would have de-balled me.

this_is_my_story
Techno and electro does owe a lot to disco and funk etc I still can't get into much of that sort of stuff.

Maybe the closest track that I can think of where we'd be on 'common ground' is something like 'Real life' by the Audio Bullys?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Q_shxxH3wI

You into that sort of stuff at all? Maybe more 'tech-house' than anything else, hate using all these daft labels really though...

I seem to remember before, that you'd posted a link or two to mixes you'd uploaded, never got round to downloading them - couldnae find the thread again, any chance you could post the download links if you still have them?

Benny Factor
I'd always recommend the sub club.

You can wear what you want as long as you don't wear the Glasgow ned uniform of Ben Sherman shirt, shiny shoes, tight jeans and gold chain. It's nice inside, usually decent tunes and like minded people to get down with. It's a bit expensive though so make sure you are well on the way before going although not so drunk that the bouncers don't let you in.

Never used to be like that at the old Subby. Bouncers were complete idiots, one of them especially. Thank god for guest lists. :)

Maybe the closest track that I can think of where we'd be on 'common ground' is something like 'Real life' by the Audio Bullys?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Q_shxxH3wI

You into that sort of stuff at all? Maybe more 'tech-house' than anything else, hate using all these daft labels really though...

I seem to remember before, that you'd posted a link or two to mixes you'd uploaded, never got round to downloading them - couldnae find the thread again, any chance you could post the download links if you still have them?

Can't say i like Audio Bullys all that much. They seem to have went with the current electro-house thing and changed their style. They used to make boring deep house. That's better than anything i've heard from them before. Not something i'd play out personally but it was decent.

You'll probably like this tune.

Mr Oizo's 1st LP is genius. Analog, synth/drum machine electro of great quality. His newer stuff is mostly average but this one tune is a belter.

Archived