Tunes from the 21st century

Craig_

Hello all! Was having quite a hotly-debated conversation with a friend last night, and we were trying to figure out if there's been anything from this century which has broken any new ground musically.

While it's fair enough to argue that there's been advances, just about everything around at the moment seems to be overly reliant on music of the past, or at least that's the way it seems to me.

So folks, prove me wrong and show that the music of the last eight years has actually shifted the goalposts, and that we're not currently in a musical black hole!

I think Battles are a really fresh band. An aquired taste maybe, but different and exciting nonetheless.

Drum and Bass has certainly moved on - although it has it roots in jungle the other side of the millenium I guess.

Indie music isn't Indie anymore. It's lost it's freshness. Theres nothing new just different haircuts and lame melodic albums appealing to the NME followers, but not got the wow factor.

Dance music is the new indie, it's exciting and and refreshing

I think Battles are a really fresh band. An aquired taste maybe, but different and exciting nonetheless.

Is the backing track original? I've heard it used on TV or somewhere, instantly recognisable although I've never heard the song.

Been listening to dance music for about 15 years, but nothing seems all that progressive to me, just feels like rehashes of everything we've heard before.

And Freebird, I'll give you that - Battles don't sound like anything I've ever heard before. Probably as they're completely insane! Could probably class the likes of Four Tet in with them as well...

Is the backing track original? I've heard it used on TV or somewhere, instantly recognisable although I've never heard the song.

No idea mate. You sure there is a backing track?

Been listening to dance music for about 15 years, but nothing seems all that progressive to me, just feels like rehashes of everything we've heard before.

And Freebird, I'll give you that - Battles don't sound like anything I've ever heard before. Probably as they're completely insane! Could probably class the likes of Four Tet in with them as well...

Insane in such a good way though :D

No idea mate. You sure there is a backing track?

Meant to say the music, minus vocals if you know what I mean, Im sure I know the song. But I know I haven't heard it :confused:

DemonCleaner

I love Battles got B EP on just now and it is fantastic on the whole.

Was gutted they played T and i didn't go, noone i know seems to have gone to see them while there:(

Sigur Ros?

Love them as well, but try listening to Talk Talk's 'Laughing Stock' from the early 90s. Uncanny!

Carl Spackler

I think people pointing to Sigur Ros are quite right. The likes of them and Radiohead have produced music which is definitely of a different style to anyting that has gone before and in this decade.

It could be argued though that this sort of music is just a slight progression as dance music was through the nineties.

A tune that impressed me in the last few years was "last nite" by the Strokes. At the time it stuck out like a sore thumb from everything else and led the way, you could say unfortunately, for the hoardes of guitar bands kicking about now. Whilst last nite was really retro it had it's own style too.

Bordeaux 03

Gigi D'Agostino created a new music genre in 2007 called Lento Violento which means slow and violent in Italian. It's basically like techno but slowed down to around 70 bpm. It sounds quite cool when you first hear it but you can't listen to a lot of it as it does get a bit repetitive.

I love my trance and was beginning to feel the same with umpteen remixes of old tunes...however if you listen to Armin's ASOT or Above & Beyond TATW radio shows there is a lot of outsanding tracks coming out - Aly & Fila, Mungo and Bryan Kearney are 3 that spring to mind

Archived