Employment Agency

Robbos Right Peg

Robbos Right Peg

Anyone with thoughts on employment agencies ? Due to boredom I am thinking about getting a job after 3 years of blissful retirement. However I just want an easy wee office number nothing at the same grade/level that I did before.

I have never been unemployed in my life so this job searching malarkey is new to me. So thought about signing up with an agency any advice ??

kirstyhearts

People like you make me sick. No wonder the youth of today can't get employment if oldies like you come along and steal jobs. :P

Robbos Right Peg
People like you make me sick. No wonder the youth of today can't get employment if oldies like you come along and steal jobs. :P

Dont really want a job just think I need something else to do rather than vent my spleen on JKB every day :) It's no good for my old ticker.

Anyway I thought the youth of today would welcome the opportunity to spend more time shoplifting G-Star hoodies and shootin up while I continue to be taxed to the hilt to pay for their Jobseekers allowance :) (which incidentaly I am not entitled to despite 'seeking a job' and having paid tax NI etc since the day I left school which as you have rightly pointed out was sometime ago :mad:

Doctor FinnBarr
Anyone with thoughts on employment agencies ? Due to boredom I am thinking about getting a job after 3 years of blissful retirement. However I just want an easy wee office number nothing at the same grade/level that I did before.I have never been unemployed in my life so this job searching malarkey is new to me. So thought about signing up with an agency any advice ??

Waste of feckin space! Due to impending redundancy I'm having to deal with 1 just now and christ.....well, this is how it's going....

Tues. Me: I'm phoning about job X

Agency: Great, can you e-mail you're CV immediately?

Wed. (After waiting all day for a phone call) Me: You did get my CV didn't you?

Agency: Yes but I've been too busy to look at it. I'm working late tonight so I'll look at it and phone you for a chat tomorrow.

Thur. (After waiting all day for a phone call) Me: You promised to phone me today

Agency: Yes but I've been too busy to look at your CV.......

All this pish for a job that the applications close on Wednesday coming, if they'd just tell me who the employer is I'd phone direct!

Waste of space Employment agencies!!!!!!

:mad:

Robbos Right Peg

Thats the sort of thing I was worried about its not as if I want to appointed head of NASA Was the agency appointed to you by your present company ? That is what happened with me when I chose to take VR but as I had no intention of taking a job back then I didnt really use their 'services'

kirstyhearts

My hubby got his last 2 jobs through agencies. Both were fine and he was taken on by the companies full time after about a year working with them. I suppose it's just luck though. If you aren't too desperate or picky they might be worthwhile as lots of companies use them these days. Means they can pick the better workers.

If you can clean my house and do our ironing when I return to work I'll give you a job. :)

Doctor FinnBarr
Thats the sort of thing I was worried about its not as if I want to appointed head of NASA Was the agency appointed to you by your present company ? That is what happened with me when I chose to take VR but as I had no intention of taking a job back then I didnt really use their 'services'

Even if you go onto the Job Centres web page it's stuffed full of agencies. Most so badly paid that the adverts have adverts telling you about tax credits! If only they would pay a decent wage! Then again, maybe the Poles have the right idea, live 20 to a house and you can afford to work for the minimum wage.

Walter Payton
Anyone with thoughts on employment agencies ? Due to boredom I am thinking about getting a job after 3 years of blissful retirement. However I just want an easy wee office number nothing at the same grade/level that I did before.

I have never been unemployed in my life so this job searching malarkey is new to me. So thought about signing up with an agency any advice ??

I went through Hudson when I was looking for a job when I first came back to Edinburgh last year and I thought they were brilliant- if you want to give them a shot their number's 0131 555 4321

Robbos Right Peg

If you can clean my house and do our ironing when I return to work I'll give you a job. :)

Thanks kirsty if things are as bad as bikerjambo says I might take you up on that. I mean cleaning/ironing if a woman can do it how difficult can it be ? ;)

I've used agencies a fair bit as have had to temp in between full time jobs. Always had good experiences. I used Jean McGhee last time I temped in Edinburgh, they got me long term temp jobs at pretty good rates. Working through Reed at the moment and they are alright too.

I've used agencies a fair bit as have had to temp in between full time jobs. Always had good experiences. I used Jean McGhee last time I temped in Edinburgh, they got me long term temp jobs at pretty good rates. Working through Reed at the moment and they are alright too.

Jean McGhee are probably the best for clerical admin type stuff in Edinburgh. Agencies are not all bad, some are really really good. They provide a good service for jobseekers and employers.

Captain Canada
Even if you go onto the Job Centres web page it's stuffed full of agencies. Most so badly paid that the adverts have adverts telling you about tax credits! If only they would pay a decent wage! Then again, maybe the Poles have the right idea, live 20 to a house and you can afford to work for the minimum wage.

Lay off the Poles! I know plenty of Polish people in Edinburgh and almost all of them have got their own businesses and are doing very well for themselves. One of them even has his very own flat and doesn't share it!

Anyway, back on topic - agencies are very hit and miss but I found The Resource Group on George Street to be pretty professional and with a good selection of office jobs.

Robbos Right Peg

Thanks to all that have given their advice or shared their experiences. I have taken action on a couple lets hope something happens soon as I am finding that JKB is taking over my life (again).

And as for the Poles I love them the ones I know taught me all I know about Zubrowka (or a wee tatanka when you cannae stand it straight) so if they get a job in front of me I will be more than happy to raise a glass to their success

The local Primary School are looking for a lollipop person, preferably rotund,with a sense of humour and knowledge of the Green Cross Code would be an advantage!

Also, i just got in 36 cases of Magners...Best before Oct 08. Can you tell any prospective employers you are busy till september..?:P

Robbos Right Peg
The local Primary School are looking for a lollipop person, preferably rotund,with a sense of humour and knowledge of the Green Cross Code would be an advantage!

Also, i just got in 36 cases of Magners...Best before Oct 08. Can you tell any prospective employers you are busy till september..?:P

I am looking for something that has less hours and more holidays than a lollipop person gets. Also I know he haw about anything green. The search continues.

Robbos Right Peg
Agencies? A necessary/unnecessary evil in the modern world. :)

I know a few people who dont think they are evil but necessary but then they are talking not talking about employment agencies ;)

They are paid mega bucks for simply putting your cv over to an employer and saying "yep, top bloke they are". :)

Robbos Right Peg

Not the type of agencies I was talking about there JG but their employees do get a right few quid at the end of the evening

Not the type of agencies I was talking about there JG but their employees do get a right few quid at the end of the evening

Yes, I was just ranting anyway.

Robbos Right Peg
Kill two birds with one stone and get a job in a pub and get paid in beer/cider :)

Not a bad idea Stevie but I have heard there are some dodgy pub landlords out there.

I am inexperienced in the ways of public houses I believe they take advantage of the innocent. Next thing you know I might be drunk and on a roof somewhere threatening to end it all just because the pub ran out of Magners on 'pay day' :) Nothings worth that.

Archived