barack obama

kinross jambo

kinross jambo

anyone see his speech in berlin.

thought he was excellent,the world might have hope yet.

He'll say anything to get into office

chester copperpot
He'll say anything to get into office

he'll be shot dead within a year. Far too many rednecks in the US.

alwaysthereinspirit

That'll be his career resume on foreign policy then.

No holding him back now.

Funny you should say that CC, I've thinking the same thing recently.

I reckon there are still many people in the US, especially the 'deep south', who as far as race is concerned, still act like it's the 1950's.

They would be extremely ticked off at the prospect of a black president and some of them would attain hero status by taking Obama out, should he be elected.

I think it's too close to call, have sneaking suspicion that McCain might just get the nod, although more down to Obama's inexperience, rather than him being black.

John Findlay

You beat me to it.

If he wins the presedential election I firmly believe he will become the fifth US president to be assassinated.

John

chester copperpot
You beat me to it.

If he wins the presedential election I firmly believe he will become the fifth US president to be assassinated.

John

I'm not a racist or that, I actually think he'd be pretty good to build some of the mess that G W has got them into, however dont think he will have the time to do it as he'll be brown bread.

heartgarfunkel

There was a joke kicking about in NY recently that Obama should have a naturalised Latino as his deputy to decrease the chance of racists assassinating him:eek:

Some country!:confused:

Harry Palmer

He has been giving the usual speeches that any US president-electee gives. In my opinion, not much will change regardless who wins.

If Barack were to become President and was then subsequently assassinated, as has been suggested; can anyone imagine the reaction?

kinross jambo
He has been giving the usual speeches that any US president-electee gives. In my opinion, not much will change regardless who wins.

If Barack were to become President and was then subsequently assassinated, as has been suggested; can anyone imagine the reaction?

the difference is you can see he has passion about what he says and stands for instead of reading some speech someone else has written and then mubling and havering like halfwit bush.

the difference is you can see he has passion about what he says and stands for instead of reading some speech someone else has written and then mubling and havering like halfwit bush.

You should watch some clips of G.W Bush's speeches before he got the presidency.

It's a strange world we live in.

This is the CV of Obama's foreign policy advisor (the one who probably wrote his speech) :-

Zbigniew Kazimierz Brzezinski born March 28, 1928, Warsaw, Poland) A Polish-American political scientist, geostrategist, and statesman who served as United States National Security Advisor to President Jimmy Carter from 1977 to 1981. Known for his hawkish foreign policy at a time when the Democratic Party was increasingly dovish, he is a foreign policy realist and considered by some to be the Democrats' response to Republican realist Henry Kissinger.

Major foreign policy events during his term of office included the normalization of relations with the People's Republic of China (and the severing of ties with the Republic of China), the signing of the second Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty (SALT II), the brokering of the Camp David Accords, the transition of Iran to an anti-Western Islamic state, encouraging reform in Eastern Europe, emphasizing human rights in U.S. foreign policy, the arming of the mujaheddin in Afghanistanto fight against the Soviet-friendly Afghan government, increase the probability of Soviet invasion and later entanglement in a Vietnam-style war, and later to counter the Soviet invasion, and the signing of the Torrijos-Carter Treaties relinquishing U.S. control of the Panama Canal after 1999.

Same old same old..............

Harry Palmer

I'm sure I would have the same amount of passion about what I had to say/believe if it got me into one of the most 'powerful' posts in the world.

Do you think Obama writes his own speeches?

coppercrutch
This is the CV of Obama's foreign policy advisor (the one who probably wrote his speech) :-

Same old same old..............

That is some mighty fine one sided use of the underline facility................

An opposing version based on exactly the same article:

Zbigniew Kazimierz Brzezinski born March 28' date=' 1928, Warsaw, Poland) A Polish-American political scientist, geostrategist, and statesman who served as United States National Security Advisor to President Jimmy Carter from 1977 to 1981. Known for his hawkish foreign policy at a time when the Democratic Party was increasingly dovish, [u']he is a foreign policy realist[/u] and considered by some to be the Democrats' response to Republican realist Henry Kissinger.

Major foreign policy events during his term of office included the normalization of relations with the People's Republic of China (and the severing of ties with the Republic of China), the signing of the second Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty (SALT II), the brokering of the Camp David Accords, the transition of Iran to an anti-Western Islamic state, encouraging reform in Eastern Europe, emphasizing human rights in U.S. foreign policy, the arming of the mujaheddin in Afghanistanto fight against the Soviet-friendly Afghan government, increase the probability of Soviet invasion and later entanglement in a Vietnam-style war, and later to counter the Soviet invasion, and the signing of the Torrijos-Carter Treaties relinquishing U.S. control of the Panama Canal after 1999.

PS. Not arguing with your actual point. :)

dont think it matters who wins tbh, Obama has backtracked on a lot of policies already.
He has to if he wants to be Israel's new toy :rolleyes:

shaun.lawson
There was a joke kicking about in NY recently that Obama should have a naturalised Latino as his deputy to decrease the chance of racists assassinating him:eek:

Some country!:confused:

Yes, absolutely. Please remind me of the last time a black man became leader of Britain - or any other Western European country, for that matter? And while you're at it, could you also explain to me why we continue to forget that the US is a massive great continent, in which there are bound to be a few wackos and fruitcakes dotted about? Would you expect everyone between Edinburgh and Moscow, or Lisbon and St Petersburg to be equally well educated and enlightened? So why do we apply such impossibly high standards when it comes to the US?

That is some mighty fine one sided use of the underline facility................

An opposing version based on exactly the same article:

PS. Not arguing with your actual point. :)

:biggrin: - Thanks for balancing it out.

Reckon the two extremes demonstrate just what we'll see when he gets in - a bit of continued empire-building with some environment work and peace-brokering thrown in for good measure.

coppercrutch
:biggrin: - Thanks for balancing it out.

Reckon the two extremes demonstrate just what we'll see when he gets in - a bit of continued empire-building with some environment work and peace-brokering thrown in for good measure.

Same old same old...;)

I think I am becoming a bit of a nut job :eek: but every day the idea that a small group of people run most of this planet seems more and more plausible.

Everything just seems a little too...well....almost... 'planned'................:rolleyes:

kinross jambo
I'm sure I would have the same amount of passion about what I had to say/believe if it got me into one of the most 'powerful' posts in the world.

Do you think Obama writes his own speeches?

fair enough he will have his backroom staff but he is an educated man who is capable of thinking for himself unlike what we have been used to from bush.

heartgarfunkel
Yes, absolutely. Please remind me of the last time a black man became leader of Britain - or any other Western European country, for that matter? And while you're at it, could you also explain to me why we continue to forget that the US is a massive great continent, in which there are bound to be a few wackos and fruitcakes dotted about? Would you expect everyone between Edinburgh and Moscow, or Lisbon and St Petersburg to be equally well educated and enlightened? So why do we apply such impossibly high standards when it comes to the US?

Steady - my last comment was in regard of the assassinations of Abe Lincoln, JFK, MLK, his brother, the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan etc. I was in the US for the first time a couple of weeks ago, thoroughly enjoyed the country, people and social system.

shaun.lawson
Steady - my last comment was in regard of the assassinations of Abe Lincoln, JFK, MLK, his brother, the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan etc. I was in the US for the first time a couple of weeks ago, thoroughly enjoyed the country, people and social system.

Yes, sorry for getting a bit uppity earlier: I'm in a right old mood today! If you think about it, though, there have been failed assassination attempts on both Margaret Thatcher and John Major's governments by the IRA; Ian Gow and Lord Mountbatten were murdered by the same organisation; and elsewhere in Europe, a prominent right wing Dutch MP was murdered in hideous fashion, and Sweden have lost both their Prime Minister and Foreign Minister within the last 22 years.

Meanwhile, the most powerful country in the free world may well be about to elect a black man as its President. A year ago, it was "they'll never elect him - far too many racists and rednecks"; now, it's "ach, he'll only get assassinated anyway". In other words, people are having a pop about something that hasn't even happened yet, and most probably, won't at all - instead of celebrating what Obama's election would say about America in the first place! Frankly, this'd be like Hearts getting through to play, say, Roma in the UEFA Cup, only to immediately withdraw because we fear there might be trouble.

There are a lot of problems in the US right now - but there's also a lot of problems here, and across Europe. Overall, as you yourself have discovered, it's a far, far better place than it's often given credit for - and given we've never been anywhere near electing a black man as Prime Minister (indeed, none have even led a political party here), we're hardly in any position to lecture others about racist attitudes.

I got an email in my spam box yesterday from someone called "Rodrigo Hernan McHall" and the title of the email was

"Barrack Obama shows his Subhumanly Large Manhood".

Was some guy selling fake rolexes but he certainly understands how to grab the attention with his email titles.

:rofl:

davemclaren
I got an email in my spam box yesterday from someone called "Rodrigo Hernan McHall" and the title of the email was

Was some guy selling fake rolexes but he certainlu understands how to grab the attention with his email titles.

Was this from your Russian lady friend perhaps? :whistling:

Was this from your Russian lady friend perhaps? :whistling:

Nah different spammer.

I can't remember the email address or password for the Russian bint. She's probably gutted, poor thing.

Harry Palmer
fair enough he will have his backroom staff but he is an educated man who is capable of thinking for himself unlike what we have been used to from bush.

I am sure, if you were to look into the educational history of George W Bush (which I haven't!), it will most likely be more than adequate...

Every leader takes advice from numerous sources, the leader will then decide what is 'best' for them at the time... Hence, same old, same old.

heartgarfunkel
Yes, sorry for getting a bit uppity earlier: I'm in a right old mood today! If you think about it, though, there have been failed assassination attempts on both Margaret Thatcher and John Major's governments by the IRA; Ian Gow and Lord Mountbatten were murdered by the same organisation; and elsewhere in Europe, a prominent right wing Dutch MP was murdered in hideous fashion, and Sweden have lost both their Prime Minister and Foreign Minister within the last 22 years.

Meanwhile, the most powerful country in the free world may well be about to elect a black man as its President. A year ago, it was "they'll never elect him - far too many racists and rednecks"; now, it's "ach, he'll only get assassinated anyway". In other words, people are having a pop about something that hasn't even happened yet, and most probably, won't at all - instead of celebrating what Obama's election would say about America in the first place! Frankly, this'd be like Hearts getting through to play, say, Roma in the UEFA Cup, only to immediately withdraw because we fear there might be trouble.

There are a lot of problems in the US right now - but there's also a lot of problems here, and across Europe. Overall, as you yourself have discovered, it's a far, far better place than it's often given credit for - and given we've never been anywhere near electing a black man as Prime Minister (indeed, none have even led a political party here), we're hardly in any position to lecture others about racist attitudes.

Thanks, I agree with all you say s.l., and so many of the US's problems derive from failed imperialism (mostly British, but also French and Spanish too. And Russian - they sold them Alaska;)). There is incredible enthusiasm for Obama in Europe, yet I met so much cynicism in the US & Canada about his electoral (and life!) chances from liberals who want him in! Yet, as you say, they are far closer to electing a non-white than any European nation.

shaun.lawson

Was some guy selling fake rolexes but he certainly understands how to grab the attention with his email titles.

They're certainly becoming more imaginative. I've just received one entitled:

World Leaders Gather To Roast Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

The mind boggles...

:hae36:

I am sure, if you were to look into the educational history of George W Bush (which I haven't!), it will most likely be more than adequate...

Well, lets see. He was the head cheerleader at his high school, spent his college years as an alcoholic, is generally accepted to have had a cocaine addition, got a mediocre degree from an admittedly Ivy League school, pulled the family ties to get into Harvard Business School in order to dodge the Vietnam draft, but got his MBA.

Not really what you'd expect from the President of the USA.

When he's shot dead it might look like a redneck did it, but it will have been orchestrated from within the corridirs of power. Just like JFK's.

Harry Palmer
Well, lets see. He was the head cheerleader at his high school, spent his college years as an alcoholic, is generally accepted to have had a cocaine addition, got a mediocre degree from an admittedly Ivy League school, pulled the family ties to get into Harvard Business School in order to dodge the Vietnam draft, but got his MBA.

Not really what you'd expect from the President of the USA.

Thank you for doing that; I was aware of his alcoholism and he dealt with it, however, I was not aware of his other obstacles.

I am also pretty sure that the US public would have been aware of his alcoholism; drug addiction, mediocre degree and draft dodging etc, whilst they voted him into office.

Pretty poor public....

Geoff Kilpatrick

Correct!

Although I do think some people have this idea from watching 24 as opposed to JFK!

Yes, absolutely. Please remind me of the last time a black man became leader of Britain - or any other Western European country, for that matter?

Darth Vader ruled the entire galaxy, so that blows that argument out the water :sterb032:

Same old same old...;)

I think I am becoming a bit of a nut job :eek: but every day the idea that a small group of people run most of this planet seems more and more plausible.

Everything just seems a little too...well....almost... 'planned'................:rolleyes:

Careful - that's exactly what David Icke reckons ;)

Darth Vader ruled the entire galaxy, so that blows that argument out the water :sterb032:

No he didn't he was Palpatines sidekick

watched it live

I like him............I like him a lot

He needs to cut the wholw "god bless you all crap that all Yank politicians do

It's phoney and pathetic but the guy has got something special

He brings nothing new, other than being the first black presidential hopeful. When it's crunch time in November there is absolutely no chance the US electorate will vote for a black.

Archived