Half a billion to fight smoking

Ulysses

Thats probably a drop in the ocean to what the tobacco firms could spend to promote smoking in developing countries.

chester copperpot

But will it stop smoking being cool and hard. Hmmm, dont think so, the fact they've done that is only going to make the problem worse. (Tongue in cheek comment there BTW).

But will it stop smoking being cool and hard.

Nope, 'cos smoking just is cool and hard. FACT.

chester copperpot

Glad to see someone agree's. ;)

Chad Sexington

Attention all smokers.

You think you look like this...

954689718_l.jpg

You really look like this...

3240107.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=DCB332A6E7C66BD325A431F503E12866A55A1E4F32AD3138

;)

PsychocAndy

I am a smoker myself, but I find the promotion of smoking in developing countries abhorrent. The Grocers Daughter was employed by Phillip Morris, Marlboro, to promote their brand in such countries after she was knifed in the back by the Tories, too scared to do the auld bitch to her face.

Two of the richest men in the world are committing half a billion dollars to combat the spread of smoking in developing countries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7522584.stm

In what is a coincidence, ive just finished watching the BBC Documentary where Duncan Bannatyne, exposes some abhorrent practices BAT are currently engaging in, in places like Malawi. It was an absolute disgrace to watch that such companies directly market to kids even though, they have been specifically told not to and that they advertise when its banned.

While the cash the two are putting up against tobacco companies probably isnt as much as they spend on advertising etc, it will go a long way to showing these practices up for what they are.

In what is a coincidence, ive just finished watching the BBC Documentary where Duncan Bannatyne, exposes some abhorrent practices BAT are currently engaging in, in places like Malawi. It was an absolute disgrace to watch that such companies directly market to kids even though, they have been specifically told not to and that they advertise when its banned.

While the cash the two are putting up against tobacco companies probably isnt as much as they spend on advertising etc, it will go a long way to showing these practices up for what they are.

I watched that too. The 11 year old girl who'd been smoking for 3 years was quite shocked to learn it was bad for you.

I dont have a problem with tobacco companies targetting countries like the UK and US where most folk are educated enough to understand the implications of their choice, but the way they target Malawi and the likes, where the population is mostly illiterate and do not understand the implications of smoking is truly abhorrent.

Bannatyne did come across as trying to do good but he makes Yogi Hughes sounds like a PHD. Every word sounded like he was speaking it as it was being writtten! For a good cause though so shouldnt really slag....

Conclusive proof smoking is cool:

496920360_02918a4007.jpg?v=0

That must make heroin cool too. Know where I can get some skag?

If I save up enough Focus Points can I trade them for a top hat and curly wig? :eek:

Chad Sexington

It just goes to show that people can have totally different ideas of what "cool" is.

I've always thought that Slash looks like a complete berk.

:)

I hope the money wont be spent on educating people and that it will all be spent on legal fees dragging these ****bags thru the worlds courts.

Geoff Kilpatrick

So half a billion spent on fighting tobacco, but not poverty. Something isn't quite right here.

Two of the richest men in the world are committing half a billion dollars to combat the spread of smoking in developing countries.

I think this bloke could do with a few quid off them. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7524526.stm

Hilarious - GIRUY smokers. :282::rofl::peek_by_Andrin:

I like smokers and I think we should do all we can to promote smoking.

I miss the tax from those peely wally pansies that decided to stop smoking and would like some more.

davemclaren

With the current rules re smoking in enclosed places I'm quite happy for smokers to inhale themselves to death as long as they have been given sufficient info to allow an educated choice. :)

Smoking is cool.

I'm sure smokers wouldn't find it so cool or (allegedly) hard if they had watched their dad experience an absolutely excruciating death from lung cancer.

My dad fought in WW2 and was a brave man, but smoking related lung cancer had him crying like a baby.

Archived