Would you boo  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you boo

• YES - till my lungs hurt
    • YES - but only cause it will wind up huns
    • NO - 'we love our Queen, God Saves'
    • NO - because its the 'right thing to do'
    • St Johnstone

Even as a hardened TA footsoldier I will not be wasting my cash on this horrible dull friendly. I doubt many others will except from possibly the huns in the away end?!

It's not a nice thing when a national anthem gets booed, however lets bare in mind their anthem is God Save the Queen which was even Scotland's anthem before Flower of Scotland. Now before you get on your high horses lets also note the line 'rebellious Scots to crush'. Not stating the obvious facts about the Huns singing it at Tynie, the fact it's England's anthem also or your political stance on the monarchy be it Unionist or Scottish?

My question is if you're bored that night you happen to pass Hampden find a ticket for the game lying on the ground from somebody who decided the pub was a better option and you walk into that game out of sheer boredomwould you boo God Save the Queen?

i'd only boo it against england, because its england. i wouldnt normally boo any other national anthems.

jackjambo22

[]would you boo God Save the Queen?[/size]

Wouldny boo any national anthrm, no reason to :confused:

But i would boo the Proclaimers if they got played :P:p

I'm going.

I wouldn't boo any teams national anthem. It's a sissy act and I didn't like it when the Scotland fans booed Lithuania's anthem at Hampden and France's anthem at the Parc Des Princes.

I think i'm meant to be going and I won't boo it - I don't hate anyone enough to boo anthems, I wouldn't like them to boo the scots.

I am not a big fan of booing,

Never did against Lithiunia or France

I did boo during the 99 play off against England though.

The God Save the queen National anthem is the National anthem of our greatest rivals.

So I will boo this

Ron Burgundy

Never be disrespectful of a national anthemn.

Anyone who does is a complete bell end.

Plenty bell ends at the Scotland V Lithuania game.

Bindy Badgy

I'll never boo a national anthem but if I had to pick one it would be God Save The Queen.

Mild-Mannered James

If you boo other countries' national anthems then you're becoming dangerously close to being an England supporter.

Ron Burgundy
If you boo other countries' national anthems then you're becoming dangerously close to being an England supporter.

Or a Scotland supporter. The booing of the Lithuanian anthemn did actually happen and cannot be airbrushed from history just cos the Tartan army are meant to be cheeky,jovial scamps.

I'll be there supporting my country as usual.

I note there is no "I deserve a ticket more than you blah blah" debate like the Italy game. Interesting.

I won't be booing any national anthem but I'll likely be in the queue outside at that point anyway.

STrange thread to start the night Hearts are playing?

Or a Scotland supporter. The booing of the Lithuanian anthemn did actually happen and cannot be airbrushed from history just cos the Tartan army are meant to be cheeky,jovial scamps.

I was in the debenture section for that game and most people around me booed the Lithuanian national anthem. I had to tell some dick in front of me to shut up with the Hearts abuse as well.

Some kilter shat himself (i mean literally - actually shat himself) 2 rows behind us when Scotland scored our first goal. It was one of the most disgusting things i've ever seen in my life.

jackjambo22

Some kilter shat himself (i mean literally - actually shat himself) 2 rows behind us when Scotland scored our first goal. It was one of the most disgusting things i've ever seen in my life.

A weeg per chance :P:p

A weeg per chance :P:

Nah - sounded like he was from up North.

Inverness or something.

jackjambo22
A weeg per chance :P:p

Nah - sounded like he was from up North.

Inverness or something.

Deffo Aberdeen then :)

I'm going.

I wouldn't boo any teams national anthem. It's a sissy act and I didn't like it when the Scotland fans booed Lithuania's anthem at Hampden and France's anthem at the Parc Des Princes.

It was poor at the Lithuania game, but I was in the Parc Des Princes and didn't hear any Scots booing the French anthem. Most Scotland fans I seen were humming along and the French were loving it.

It was poor at the Lithuania game, but I was in the Parc Des Princes and didn't hear any Scots booing the French anthem. Most Scotland fans I seen were humming along and the French were loving it.

There was a fair bit of booing in my section, as well as the "wee fought frogs in Paris" chants waiting for the subway after the game.

There was a fair bit of booing in my section, as well as the "wee fought frogs in Paris" chants waiting for the subway after the game.

I never heard that, obviously poor patter if true. But I was having a great bit of fun woth the french boys about me.

Having said that, it's different from booing at an England V Scotland game. They are our rivals and would certainly boo Flower of Scotland. For me it's the same as having a rivalry with Hibs. I hate Hibs and wouldn't be particularly respective of anything they were doing. Ditto with England(and I mean the football team, not English people).

Guest juvehearts

Yes

i boo every other national anthem apart from scotland because it is the right thing to do.

we booed brazil's at the stade france, we booed italy's at hampden, we booed germany's when we drew 1-1 with a colin cameron goal.

*** everyone elses

scotland is no1

I never heard that, obviously poor patter if true. But I was having a great bit of fun woth the french boys about me.

Having said that, it's different from booing at an England V Scotland game. They are our rivals and would certainly boo Flower of Scotland. For me it's the same as having a rivalry with Hibs. I hate Hibs and wouldn't be particularly respective of anything they were doing. Ditto with England(and I mean the football team, not English people).

I agree re the England thing, i can see why people would do that.

No real excuse for France and Lithuania though. To be fair, i've been to a lot of Scotland games and only ever seen that at those two.

The anti-England thing is one of the reasons why I wish the Tartan Army would just disappear up their own arse.

Pathetic in the extreme.

MacDonald Jardine
Even as a hardened TA footsoldier I will not be wasting my cash on this horrible dull friendly. I doubt many others will except from possibly the huns in the away end?!

It's not a nice thing when a national anthem gets booed, however lets bare in mind their anthem is God Save the Queen which was even Scotland's anthem before Flower of Scotland. Now before you get on your high horses lets also note the line 'rebellious Scots to crush'. Not stating the obvious facts about the Huns singing it at Tynie, the fact it's England's anthem also or your political stance on the monarchy be it Unionist or Scottish?

My question is if you're bored that night you happen to pass Hampden find a ticket for the game lying on the ground from somebody who decided the pub was a better option and you walk into that game out of sheer boredomwould you boo God Save the Queen?

I'm sure this has been done to death but when did you ever hear anyone singing this, or even read about it other than as a way of stoking up other Scots?

Guest juvehearts
The anti-England thing is one of the reasons why I wish the Tartan Army would just disappear up their own arse.

Pathetic in the extreme.

What about the anti english thing?

the fact these so called fans can go anywhere & start fights.

we hate england because they hate us, simple as that.

if they want to believe their own hype, i for one will always PMSL when the they fall yet again flat on their face.

IMO nowadays their isnt much difference between the sides, england have been shown for what they are & Scotland have found their form (hopefuly to last)

MacDonald Jardine
What about the anti english thing?

the fact these so called fans can go anywhere & start fights.

we hate england because they hate us, simple as thaat.

if they want to believe their own hype, i for one will always PMSL when the fall yet again flat on their face.

IMO nowadays their isnt much difference between the sides, england have been shown for what they are & Scotland have found their form (hopefuly to last)

I'm sure you know that's not true.

we hate england because they hate us, simple as that.

Have you any idea how childish that sounds ?

Typical of the Tartan Army actually.

portobellojambo1

Never go to Scotland games so it doesn't affect me. But in general if I am at an event and God Save the Queen is played I would sing along, after all it is the National Anthem of Great Britain, and unless the political map changed since I went to work this morning (no chance) Scotland is part of Great Britain.

Now before you get on your high horses lets also note the line 'rebellious Scots to crush'.

Yes, let us note it.

Those rebellious Scots did indeed need crushing. Funnily enough by non-rebellious Scots, amongst others.

Not having a go at you Morry, just that the whole Culloden gig is one example of the complete misinformation and airbrushing of Scottish history that really does my nut in.

FWIW I'm not a monarchist, but good manners dictate that another country's national anthem should be respected. We're not savages after all.

I'm sure this has been done to death but when did you ever hear anyone singing this, or even read about it other than as a way of stoking up other Scots?

It's in there though... it's a fact. It's not an anthem I agree with either. God Saving the King/Queen... what about the rest of us eh? That's another thread though.

I wasn't too impressed by the booing of the Lithuanian anthem at Hampden - However I believe this had a lot to do with anti-romanov feelings? Nothing to do with bigitory or racism towards Lithuania. It wasn't acceptable, never the less. In a football crowd there will always be idiots and I can only assume it was a very small minority that booed against France or Germany because i've never heard of that until now.

Booing God Save the Queen though.... I can see why that's acceptable to a lot of people - especially against England. I can also see why it would hack a lot of people off too especially as it's only N.I. As for it being 'our' anthem also...well not for long captain obvious - roll on referendum!

Shouldn't N.I come up with their own 'wee country' anthem by now anyway?

Yes, let us note it.

Those rebellious Scots did indeed need crushing. Funnily enough by non-rebellious Scots, amongst others.

Not having a go at you Morry, just that the whole Culloden gig is one example of the complete misinformation and airbrushing of Scottish history that really does my nut in.

FWIW I'm not a monarchist, but good manners dictate that another country's national anthem should be respected. We're not savages after all.

Just for you Borris taken 2 weeks ago - me at Culloden -yes I know there was a lot of Scots in the redcoats who were 'paid professional' soldiers. A good way to make a living those days.

Why did they need a good crushing when they were fighting for the real monarchy and what they seen as our country.

777789343a8368713273l.jpg

Don't have me down as some crazed nationalist that's watched Braveheart one to many times!

Stupid Sexy Flanders
It's in there though... it's a fact. It's not an anthem I agree with either. God Saving the King/Queen... what about the rest of us eh? That's another thread though.

I wasn't too impressed by the booing of the Lithuanian anthem at Hampden - However I believe this had a lot to do with anti-romanov feelings? Nothing to do with bigitory or racism towards Lithuania. It wasn't acceptable, never the less. In a football crowd there will always be idiots and I can only assume it was a very small minority that booed against France or Germany because i've never heard of that until now.

Booing God Save the Queen though.... I can see why that's acceptable to a lot of people - especially against England. I can also see why it would hack a lot of people off too especially as it's only N.I. As for it being 'our' anthem also...well not for long captain obvious - roll on referendum!

Shouldn't N.I come up with their own 'wee country' anthem by now anyway?

Yes, and so should England.

I would not boo the British national anthem, because I'm quite happy being British as well as Scottish.

MacDonald Jardine

?

Is it?

As far as I can see there are a number of explanations for it which range from "It's there and always have been" by nationalists to "It was a music hall add on" to "It was one of a number of verses that were added and taken out over the years".

By the way do you really think the Scottish Redcoats were all mercenaries while all the Jacobites were bonny fechters with a cause?

Just for you Borris taken 2 weeks ago - me at Culloden -yes I know there was a lot of Scots in the redcoats who were 'paid professional' soldiers. A good way to make a living those days.

Why did they need a good crushing when they were fighting for the real monarchy and what they seen as our country.

Hmmm...you really have a romantic view of it don't you? But that is your right.

Culloden wasn't a fight for Scotland. It was a dynastic struggle on behalf of the Stewarts to regain their lost crowns - lost by their own arrogance and very much wrested from them by the will of the people. Scots, Welsh, Irish and English.

Still, if French style autocratic rule is your thing then fill your boots! ;)

Pathetic in the extreme.

:bravo:

Is it?

As far as I can see there are a number of explanations for it which range from "It's there and always have been" by nationalists to "It was a music hall add on" to "It was one of a number of verses that were added and taken out over the years".

By the way do you really think the Scottish Redcoats were all mercenaries while all the Jacobites were bonny fechters with a cause?

I never started this thread to blabber on about culloden FFS. I was expecting a few donkeys to bite with pro brit stuff but it seems most of them are keeping quite these days.

The point in this thread was about wether you'd boo the Anthem! Not if you are a jacobite or a redcoat supporter. You may as well ask me if I was a cop or a robber as a kid!?

My personal opinion is that I would boo it against England in the same way as I would boo the proclaimers at any given chance. Call me a mindless idiot all you like - I'm just a passionate fan that gets carried away. However I don't feel any rivalry towards NI at all and wouldn't want to boo them. Although its a bit like us going there and playing the Irish National anthem when you think about it?! I'm sure they would do more than boo that?!

The line is still anti-Scottish - it wont make it any better because it was a 'music hall' add on or if mary poppins came up with it!

portobellojambo1
Hmmm...you really have a romantic view of it don't you? But that is your right.

Culloden wasn't a fight for Scotland. It was a dynastic struggle on behalf of the Stewarts to regain their lost crowns - lost by their own arrogance and very much wrested from them by the will of the people. Scots, Welsh, Irish and English.

Boris,

Stop antagonising the Scots Republicans by filling their heads with historical facts, you will destroy the "je ne sais quoi" that keeps them going, and you will kill the movie industry into the bargain.

MacDonald Jardine
I never started this thread to blabber on about culloden FFS.

from post 32:

"Just for you Borris taken 2 weeks ago - me at Culloden -yes I know there was a lot of Scots in the redcoats who were 'paid professional' soldiers. A good way to make a living those days.

Why did they need a good crushing when they were fighting for the real monarchy and what they seen as our country."

Yeh because the Hanoverian Monarchy we have is so much more brittish than a Stewart one?

I don't believe in any monarchy's to be honest as I believe every man is equal. I like the Jacobite story, it's a bitter sweet part of our culture and history. Nothing wrong with that. No need to get all anti-Jacobite or pro Jacobite for that matter, so I will apologise if it's got up your nose.

Wasn't that long ago that THE NATIONAL ANTHEM was played before Scotland games.

from post 32:

"Just for you Borris taken 2 weeks ago - me at Culloden -yes I know there was a lot of Scots in the redcoats who were 'paid professional' soldiers. A good way to make a living those days.

Why did they need a good crushing when they were fighting for the real monarchy and what they seen as our country."

Read up a bit then

'Wasn't that long ago that THE NATIONAL ANTHEM was played before Scotland games.' SPEED BUMP I mentioned that at the start.

Geoff Kilpatrick

This thread is pathetic!

A couple of years ago, the Irish rugby team temporarily moved into Croke Park, a stadium whose history resonates with Irish republicanism.

England came to play and there was absolutely no issue at all with GSTQ being sung.

So if the Tartan Army have an issue with it, what does that show them up to be?

Now, I would prefer it if Northern Ireland didn't use GSTQ as a National Anthem. I would prefer Londonderry Air (Danny Boy) as used at the Commonwealth Games. However, that's been the choice of the IFA and should be respected as such.

So far the poll states fewer people would boo.

FWIW. Followers of national teams appear really " uncool " to me. It's not just the Tartan Army ( although they are up there amongst the most ridiculous ) but Inger-land fans wearing St George knight outfits, the face painting tourist fans, the Croats believing they're still at war or something etc.etc.

Nationalism sucks.

Is this thread not just a musical flag debate anyway?

All national anthems should be respected - however, any one singing 'doh-a-deer' deserves a good smacking

Chad Sexington
All national anthems should be respected - however, any one singing 'doh-a-deer' deserves a good smacking

Agree 100%.

I feel my skin crawl when they sing that pish.

It's a national embarrassment.

:mad:

I feel my skin crawl when they sing that pish.

Agreed.

It gives me the dry boak.

Carl Weathers

I was at the San Siro singing that song and it was an amazing experience.

Infact, I've never seen a set of fans as good as they were that night.

Sorry if that makes me uncool. ;)

I said earlier on that I'd boo GSTQ - I actually probably wouldn't, so I take that back. :)

This isn't a football discussion - it's a discussion about national anthems, with more than a nod towards the political fault lines in Scottish society. So I'm taking the liberty of moving the thread to the Shed where it belongs.

For the record, I wouldn't disrespect the national anthem of the United Kingdom, whether played for a team from England, NI or the UK. I think it would be good if NI used the Londonderry Air as its football anthem - but it's not my call and I respect the IFA's choice in the matter.

And because I really like the clip, here's a video of the event to which Geoff referred earlier, when the national anthems were played before the Ireland-England rugby match at Croke Park in February 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItPlLnnol4c

Archived