Seance

Debaser

Anyone had a seance or used a ouija board?

did anything happen? does anyone believe in that stuff?

:confused:

Utter nonsense.

We done it at school one time. teacher was off so we shut the big black curtains had a sheeps skull on the table and off we went. later a teacher came in and caught us. All had to go round the classes saying it was stupid to do things we knew nothing about :o

I'd advise you to steer well clear and form a book club or have a poker night or any other group activity

The Old Tolbooth
I'd advise you to steer well clear and form a book club or have a poker night or any other group activity

I think that's bloody good advice!

w955.jpg

seances, psychics and fortune tellers are all a load of balls designed to part the mentally challenged with their cash.

Patrick Bateman

Had any bad experiences?

I wonder how much someone would be have to paid to conduct a midnight seance in MacKenzie's mausoleum ;)

Chad Sexington

I took part in a seance when I was a kid.

It was held in the pitch black and there was about 8 of us.

Nothing paranormal happened, but I did cop a sly feel at the girl to my immediate right.

She seemed to enjoy it as well because she certainly didn't cry out in alarm or anything.

:)

The Old Tolbooth
I took part in a seance when I was a kid.

It was held in the pitch black and there was about 8 of us.

Nothing paranormal happened, but I did cop a sly feel at the girl to my immediate right.

She seemed to enjoy it as well because she certainly didn't cry out in alarm or anything.

:)

She maybe enjoys a stiff in the dark ;)

Chad Sexington
She maybe enjoys a stiff in the dark ;)

Fnar fnar. :dribble:

Back on topic.

It's all a load of utter guff of course.

Designed to part gullible and grieving people of their cash.

seances, psychics and fortune tellers are all a load of balls designed to part the mentally challenged with their cash.

feck . i didnt think i was that bad, i got stopped in blackpool last week by a tinker,the usual stuff...im i'll, rich , big house etc..god how wrong was she. she gave me 2 wee gold cats and said that'll be a tenner, aye right...i took ?2.50 out my pocket, that'll do and swapped the 2 gold cats for a silver one, meanwhile the bird is down the street laughing her asss off.

read "attack of the unsinkable rubber ducks" by christopher brookmyre. has a lot in it about the tricks and techniques used by these people, very interesting to find out how they do it all.

There's always a risk that when you speak up about these things, that people will automatically think you're a bit of a fruit. But while I think that most are most definitely chancers, I've also seen one person in action who definitely seems to have been the real thing...or as close to it as you can maybe get....I don't know. Put it this way, I used to be absolutely sure it was a pile of guff and now I'm rather less sceptical.

My rule of thumb these days is to remember that most of them are money grabbing liars, but that the myth survives despite that fact...and for good reason.

when i was i Thailand my friend Gaz and I were approached by a bald indian dude asking if we wanted a reading. I declined but my friend went along. I had to sit outside whilst he went into this wee room and a curtain was drawn.

Gaz emerged about 20 minutes later pale as a ghost. The guy had written down 2 names on a piece of paper as soon as Gaz had gone inside, folded it up and handed it to him to open after the readin. Apparently the reading was 60% spot on and 40% pish. But what made Gaz ***** himself was that the man had written down the name of Gaz's first bird and the name of his Gran.

When Gaz was leaving the man said "open up the paper and there will be the names of 2 people who you love". His grans name is Irish and certainly couldnt have been guessed let alone spell correctly, his birds name, whilst fairly common, would still have been hard to guess.

We still dont know how he done it.

Dr. Bapswent
when i was i Thailand my friend Gaz and I were approached by a bald indian dude asking if we wanted a reading. I declined but my friend went along. I had to sit outside whilst he went into this wee room and a curtain was drawn.

Gaz emerged about 20 minutes later pale as a ghost. The guy had written down 2 names on a piece of paper as soon as Gaz had gone inside, folded it up and handed it to him to open after the readin. Apparently the reading was 60% spot on and 40% pish. But what made Gaz ***** himself was that the man had written down the name of Gaz's first bird and the name of his Gran.

When Gaz was leaving the man said "open up the paper and there will be the names of 2 people who you love". His grans name is Irish and certainly couldnt have been guessed let alone spell correctly, his birds name, whilst fairly common, would still have been hard to guess.

We still dont know how he done it.

Pure coincidence.

Thats why he didnt allow him to open the paper till after the reading.

Its a shot in the dark, and if it works it looks impressive.

Also why pick his gran and first girlfriend?

Not his mum etc?

If he really knew it, then no harm in saying it up front, really impress him.

Chad Sexington
Pure coincidence.

Thats why he didnt allow him to open the paper till after the reading.

Its a shot in the dark, and if it works it looks impressive.

Also why pick his gran and first girlfriend?

Not his mum etc?

If he really knew it, then no harm in saying it up front, really impress him.

Correct.

It's like watching the "mediums" work the room.

"I'm getting the name Margaret, my love. Does that mean anything to you?"

Everyone knows a feckin Margaret in their family history.

"I'm feeling that Margaret was in a lot of pain near the end but she wants you to know she's at peace now."

Mmmm. Yes, most people die feeling happy and pain free right enough.

"She's saying that you've had your problems lately but you've not to worry. Every thing's going to be fine"

Of course the very fact someones gone to see a medium in the first place means there a large chance that they are experiencing difficulties in their life.

It's all unmitigated guff and should be a criminal offence to charge money for.

Aye I agree with you about if being guff but the womans name is CAOILAINN!

Hardly the usual Margaret. And it was spelt correctly. As I say, dunno how he did it but bloody impressive.

Dr. Bapswent
Aye I agree with you about if being guff but the womans name is CAOILAINN!

Hardly the usual Margaret. And it was spelt correctly. As I say, dunno how he did it but bloody impressive.

if such individuals really have such wondrous gifts and powers.

Why do they all work by taking money from tourists and hang around in fun fairs?

Surely these people should be leading the country no?

Anyone had a s?ance or used a Ouija board?

I heard the held one to celebrate the 100 year anniversary off the famous cup win in 2002 doon at fester road, big party was had by all.

Maroon Mayhem

One of my wifes pals is a medium and although she hasn't done any readings for my wife as she knows almost everything about her anyway she has done them for others and been fairly accurate. She's one of the most straight laced people you'd ever meet so I don't think she'd be the type to make stuff up.

Anyway, she says that spirits are generally harmless unless they're stirred up by a oueja board.

If you believe that a psychic you have seen really is psychic and not a phoney like all the others, then you need to explain what they do differently to those who openly use tricks.

The most famous example of someone who copies "psychics" techniques but does not claim psychic ability is Derren Brown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18NfN76bAs

Watching the above video, you can see that the woman was utterly convinced that Derren was psychic and she seemed like a very normal smart woman.

Derren Brown could easily have charged her $1000's for a follow up reading based on that one. That's what most psychic's do.

But if any psychic really had these powers then they would be a heck of a lot more famous and rich.

General rule: 99.5% of seances or other attempts at conjuring are good for a couple of laughs, at most. And, unfortunately, many gullible, ignorant people are severly taken advantage of--financially and emotionally.

Now, as for the remaining .5%...I don't profess to believe in a life after death, or that 'successful' seances are actually contacting the sentient dead (or...undead [cue ominous music]) but I've personally experienced enough to be unable to discount these entrirely. (And that's ignoring the reports I've heard from other sane, rational friends/family that I didn't experience first hand.)

So, I'd say that they're good for a laugh, but I wouldn't go blundering in with boards/conjuration devices unless you know what you're doing.

read "attack of the unsinkable rubber ducks" by christopher brookmyre. has a lot in it about the tricks and techniques used by these people, very interesting to find out how they do it all.

Yeah, have read that, fairly debunks the old knock once for yes and twice for no theory, but you will always have people who will refuse to believe it's all bollocks.

Archived