Prams Banned from Buses - Awful PC Decision

Rawrrrrrrr

Lothian buses have banned all prams from there buses claiming its so they comply with disability discrimination laws

What an awful decision, why should other people be discriminated against on the off chance a wheelchair gets on a bus?

Whilst I am all for anti discrimination laws etc, surely if a disabled person goes to board a bus and it is already occupated by a pram this isnt discrimination of a disability, simply unlucky, why should they be allowed preference, especially in the days of there being buses every 10 minutes

Tbh in my years of using buses I dont think I ever have seen a wheelchair on one either

Seems a pretty awful decision and its no wonder lothian buses wanted to keep it quiet, I would be amazed if this was in fact a law and more likely just the case of a beauracrat taking the safe option

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robbos Right Peg
Lothian buses have banned all prams from there buses claiming its so they comply with disability discrimination laws

What an awful decision, why should other people be discriminated against on the off chance a wheelchair gets on a bus?

Whilst I am all for anti discrimination laws etc, surely if a disabled person goes to board a bus and it is already occupated by a pram this isnt discrimination of a disability, simply unlucky, why should they be allowed preference, especially in the days of there being buses every 10 minutes

Tbh in my years of using buses I dont think I ever have seen a wheelchair on one either

Seems a pretty awful decision and its no wonder lothian buses wanted to keep it quiet, I would be amazed if this was in fact a law and more likely just the case of a beauracrat taking the safe option

Best news I have heard for a long time. Now they need to take the decision to ban anyone over 65 and anyone that has a really cheap MP3 that allows everyone to hear the base line of every thing they listen to. Oh aye any tubes that feel the need to shout down their mobile phone just because 'Am oan the bus' :mad: Just about forgot anyone that has never heard of soap and water.

I would be amazed if this was in fact a law

So would I, unless Lothian Buses suddenly have law-making powers?

In any case, can the mother not just claim the child is disabled? Unable to walk because they haven't learnt how to?

I don't have any reason not to believe you, but is there a link to a news story on this?

So would I, unless Lothian Buses suddenly have law-making powers?

In any case, can the mother not just claim the child is disabled? Unable to walk because they haven't learnt how to?

Apparently its due to the disability discrimination laws and they claim all bus companies should do it and basically it only took so long due to training issues

It sounds more like some PC erse at the top has went way OTT with their interpretation of the laws

If a disabled person tries to board the bus and it is taken up by a pram this is not discrimination to me as there is no intent to discriminate just misfortune the 2 overlap and the 2nd person to come should be asked to wait for the next bus

It would be very different if they refused when they could let them on but thats not the case

Chad Sexington
I don't have any reason not to believe you, but is there a link to a news story on this?

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/New-mum39s-shock-at-bus.4311029.jp

Edit-Prancer beat me to it.

Disgraceful decision IMO.

Most folk have the type of buggy that cant be folded and it's virtually impossible for a young Mum to fold a buggy with shopping and a young kid anyway.

I'm glad my Mrs insisted on getting a car after our wee one was born.

Apparently its due to the disability discrimination laws and they claim all bus companies should do it and basically it only took so long due to training issues

It sounds more like some PC erse at the top has went way OTT with their interpretation of the laws

If a disabled person tries to board the bus and it is taken up by a pram this is not discrimination to me as there is no intent to discriminate just misfortune the 2 overlap and the 2nd person to come should be asked to wait for the next bus

It would be very different if they refused when they could let them on but thats not the case

I find this story very odd, considering the number of times I have been on a bus that has been unable to take on a wheelchair, due to the number of standing passengers.

Robbos Right Peg

After some of Pracers ramblings I would think we do have a reason not to believe him

After some of Pracers ramblings I would think we do have a reason not to believe him

Ah, you edited your post =)

It means that I didn't think he was making the story up...

maroonlegions

i still think a better idea would be to ban anyone resembling a hobo and they should be challenged if they denied it, like made to sing "oh the hibees are gay" or "cos its a :107years: in a row,a row" songs.:rolleyes:;)

Robbos Right Peg
Ah, you edited your post =)

It means that I didn't think he was making the story up...

pressed submit before I finished made me look a bit of an erse.......... once again ;)

Griclesfield

Absolute disgrace . . .

so if timmy gets on the bus in his wheelchair he gets a space on the bus, yet new mother and newborn are to be driven past by the bus drivers ..... SHOCKING ...

this decision will never last long.

Guest juvehearts

still the rules only apply for prams.

you can still get on with your normal fold away buggy & get told to move when a wheelchair comes on, which imo is a rareity ,although they do use the buses.

Dont know why the corporation buses have done this, sounds like a bit of an OG

1st buses havent changed a thing.

strange.......

Lothian buses have banned all prams

Anything that keeps screaming kids off the buses is fine by me. :)

A guy in a wheelchair got on the bus the other week. Made everyone get out the way for him to get in the space for the chair.Even people who were sitting in the seats he had to passed. Took 5 minutes and he got off at the next stop.:eek: Had to go through the same thing again. EXCUSE ME he kept shouting. He had a electric chair could have been there in half the time. It was a nice day as well.....

A guy in a wheelchair got on the bus the other week. Made everyone get out the way for him to get in the space for the chair.Even people who were sitting in the seats he had to passed. Took 5 minutes and he got off at the next stop.:eek: Had to go through the same thing again. EXCUSE ME he kept shouting. He had a electric chair could have been there in half the time. It was a nice day as well.....

His all expenses paid motability merc must have been in for its free annual service:rolleyes:

what do they do if there is already someone in a wheelcahir in the space already?

Baby v Disabled in a fight to the death. Winner gets the space.

That story has around 117 comments - some of which are brilliant funny as ****.

mod edit

The Old Tolbooth
I dont do public transport, so couldn't care less either way.

Exactly!

Peasants transport Andy eh? ;)

(unless it's taking us to a footy match howlin drunk that is) :D

chester copperpot
Exactly!

Peasants transport Andy eh? ;)

(unless it's taking us to a footy match howlin drunk that is) :D

The only bus that takes us to the footie is the Porty Hearts bus, and thats full of ****'s. :peepwall:

Best news I have heard for a long time. Now they need to take the decision to ban anyone over 65 and anyone that has a really cheap MP3 that allows everyone to hear the base line of every thing they listen to. Oh aye any tubes that feel the need to shout down their mobile phone just because 'Am oan the bus' :mad: Just about forgot anyone that has never heard of soap and water.

You also forgot gingers, welsh people and children who go to one of the snobby schools. ;)

The Real Maroonblood
His all expenses paid motability merc must have been in for its free annual service:rolleyes:

:)

The Old Tolbooth
The only bus that takes us to the footie is the Porty Hearts bus, and thats full of ****'s. :peepwall:

Ha ha!!

It's a crime that single mothers can no longer be perved upon whilst loading and unloading their prams onto a bus right enough on a hot summers day with a loose top on :rolleyes:

Probably the funniest thing I've read in a while. Hell, it's even sig worthy.

I'm going to defend the peasant shuttle operators now.

All new buses since 2001 have to be wheelchair compliant under the DDA. We all know that wheelchair users use buses once in a blue moon, but every bus has to have a space for one on the off chance someone with a wheelchair gets on. So any buggy using the space on the bus has to have the capability of folding up just in case a wheel chair gets on.

As far as the law is concerned Lothian Buses is correct. If a wheelchair user is unable to get onto a bus built post 2001 because a non-foldable pram is in the space, Lothian Buses would be fined under the DDA.

Don't blame the bus companies, blame the government who introduced this completely OTT law.

What I will say is this - low floor easy access buses are ultra-modern. When I was a baby in the early 1980s they didn't exist. But it didn't stop my old dear taking me all over town by bus. She was capable of folding my pram/pushcair and carting me and it up two steps onto a bus.

The space at the front of the bus was designed for a wheelchair and not a pram or buggy carrying some little skanks offspring called Oakley.

Or half of IKEA which some feckwit always brings on on the Penicuik routes.

Robbos Right Peg
You also forgot gingers, welsh people and children who go to one of the snobby schools. ;)

No actualy I dont mind them but dont get me started on those 'foreign exchange students' or anyone else with backpacks :mad:

So it's really just those big old prams that have come back into fashion and cost a fecking fortune anyway? Seems like a non story to me as they're letting buggies and prams on as long as they can make room for a wheelchair.

3 wheelers are much cooler, old style Peter Pan types are for yuppies :)

ToastForBrains

Seems a bit of a stupid rule, surely the driver could just explain to someone boarding with a pram that they'd have to get off if person in a wheelchair wanted on.

The rule fails completely in that I would be allowed on the bus with my 2 year old walking and my twins in the (foldable) buggy, even though it would be completely impossible for me to fold the buggy and hold onto all three children.

Seems a bit of a stupid rule, surely the driver could just explain to someone boarding with a pram that they'd have to get off if person in a wheelchair wanted on.

The rule fails completely in that I would be allowed on the bus with my 2 year old walking and my twins in the (foldable) buggy, even though it would be completely impossible for me to fold the buggy and hold onto all three children.

Isn't that pretty much how it works at the moment with someone using the space for a buggy? Asking someone to move over, or swap to another bus would definitely be more accommodating. If probably still a little stupid...

Totally ludicrous rule though, and sadly probably also once which Lothian Buses will explain to their drivers and consequently, they might then follow to the rule in order to meet their strict minute/second timetables. A little diversity training wouldn't go amiss here.

Hey Toast, welcome back. :)

Geoff Kilpatrick

All new buses since 2001 have to be wheelchair compliant under the DDA. We all know that wheelchair users use buses once in a blue moon, but every bus has to have a space for one on the off chance someone with a wheelchair gets on. So any buggy using the space on the bus has to have the capability of folding up just in case a wheel chair gets on.

As far as the law is concerned Lothian Buses is correct. If a wheelchair user is unable to get onto a bus built post 2001 because a non-foldable pram is in the space, Lothian Buses would be fined under the DDA.

Don't blame the bus companies, blame the government who introduced this completely OTT law.

What I will say is this - low floor easy access buses are ultra-modern. When I was a baby in the early 1980s they didn't exist. But it didn't stop my old dear taking me all over town by bus. She was capable of folding my pram/pushcair and carting me and it up two steps onto a bus.

Actually, blame Europe. They came up with it.

The Real Maroonblood

Your mother must have been cruel not taking you out of it before she fold the pram.

:):):)

So it's really just those big old prams that have come back into fashion and cost a fecking fortune anyway? Seems like a non story to me as they're letting buggies and prams on as long as they can make room for a wheelchair.

3 wheelers are much cooler, old style Peter Pan types are for yuppies :)

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there Das Root.

doctor jambo

Ifind it amazing that you can discriminate against one group and not another

- no to prams

- yes to wheelchairs

What kind of message does this move send to visitors to, after all, our capital city and one of Europes best cities?

And I am not just talking about "hard bodied" traditional prams

The newer prams for new borns dont fold down- the top lifts off and the bases fold, but these would also be banned

Mobility and disability allowances are there to pay for transport costs- in Ayrshire they get taxis everywhere

Absolute joke of a decision

Ifind it amazing that you can discriminate against one group and not another

- no to prams

- yes to wheelchairs

What kind of message does this move send to visitors to, after all, our capital city and one of Europes best cities?

And I am not just talking about "hard bodied" traditional prams

The newer prams for new borns dont fold down- the top lifts off and the bases fold, but these would also be banned

Mobility and disability allowances are there to pay for transport costs- in Ayrshire they get taxis everywhere

Absolute joke of a decision

...but they can fold down, as you say, so why would they be banned? As well as your standarda McLaren Buggy, I've got a Jane 360 which is like one of the ones you refer to. That folds down ok.

doctor jambo
...but they can fold down, as you say, so why would they be banned? As well as your standarda McLaren Buggy, I've got a Jane 360 which is like one of the ones you refer to. That folds down ok.

Yeh Boris, but can you imagine a mother lifting the top off one complete with baby in it, wedging it in a seat space, folding down the base and at the same time controlling another toddler?

Pretty hard going, then reassembling the whole lot to get off again

It would take frickin ages and hold up the whole bus

YOu would be quicker getting the wheelchair buddy to fold down their wheelchair!

The pram rule (as applies to new prams) is fine when you have two adults (but in my experienc no-one helps mums these days) or only one child

Robbos Right Peg
(but in my experienc no-one helps mums these days)

because the PC brigade could accuse them of interfering with wee Oakley or the likes (Oakley......... I ask you :sad:)

I P Knightley
You really seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the disabled.

That's a very, very disturbing post; but at the same time very funny.

Kirsti fae the Hailes with wee Oakley? I've got socks called Oakley and a sweaty shirt called Oakley. The granny, Arlene, is 41 though. Maybe she'd get a ride?

If Kirsti wanted to go about on the buses, then when she was choosing her pram/buggy, she should have thought of that. When we had our first-born, we had to check that we'd get a lie-down buggy that would fold into the wee boot of our car. It's not rocket science. But then, we never considered "Oakley" or "Ray-Ban" or "D&G" as names for our kids.

John Findlay

Only prams that cant fold that are being banned.

Unfortunately for new parents the law currently sides with the wheelchair user.

Time for parent and toddler groups to get organised and lobby in the same way the disabled have.

John

Robbos Right Peg
That's a very, very disturbing post; but at the same time very funny.

Kirsti fae the Hailes with wee Oakley? I've got socks called Oakley and a sweaty shirt called Oakley. The granny, Arlene, is 41 though. Maybe she'd get a ride?

If Kirsti wanted to go about on the buses, then when she was choosing her pram/buggy, she should have thought of that. When we had our first-born, we had to check that we'd get a lie-down buggy that would fold into the wee boot of our car. It's not rocket science. But then, we never considered "Oakley" or "Ray-Ban" or "D&G" as names for our kids.

love it Ivan you just made my bad day better :)

But Dee might not be to bad a name for a girl not sure about Gee if Kirsti had produced twins. Her other sprog might be called Annie for all we know she might like a nice West End production

Yeh Boris, but can you imagine a mother lifting the top off one complete with baby in it, wedging it in a seat space, folding down the base and at the same time controlling another toddler?

Pretty hard going, then reassembling the whole lot to get off again

It would take frickin ages and hold up the whole bus

YOu would be quicker getting the wheelchair buddy to fold down their wheelchair!

The pram rule (as applies to new prams) is fine when you have two adults (but in my experienc no-one helps mums these days) or only one child

Fair points Dr J.

kirstyhearts

If people were willing to help these days life would be a bit easier.

As soon as a wheelchair came on and I had to get Cameron out, fold my buggy with the free arm, while wrestling a struggling Cam with the other, the rest of the bus would be grumping away and so would the driver. People don't even hold doors open anymore when they have walked through, sod trying to get on a bus on my own.

I will be driving around in my gas guzzling car, with just the 2 of us in it. Boll**** to the environment.

Robbos Right Peg
If people were willing to help these days life would be a bit easier.

As soon as a wheelchair came on and I had to get Cameron out, fold my buggy with the free arm, while wrestling a struggling Cam with the other, the rest of the bus would be grumping away and so would the driver. People don't even hold doors open anymore when they have walked through, sod trying to get on a bus on my own.

I will be driving around in my gas guzzling car, with just the 2 of us in it. Boll**** to the environment.

Great news one less Kirsty on a bus to worry about ;)

Glad you can afford petrol by the way Probably pay for it out of your child allowance Whats that all about anyway ? Money from the goverment for having unprotected sex in my book :mad:

Archived